Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In battles of wits players usually beat officials. 01:24 - Dec 8 with 1982 viewsOnlyMe

There was a time when Refs were advised to take a moment to consider before pulling out cards. Sensible. But, IMO, players have now learned that if they play dead (or severely injured --- no rolling about etc because perceived wisdom is that seriously hurt players don't writhe much), Refs will take the consideration time to think about whether the player is badly hurt (and they then use it to decide, consciously or subconsciously, about how "bad" the foul was) and then they decide on a card.

Not all Refs --- but, going back over incidents, it becomes obvious with many. They might (probably would) say they keep an eye on the fouled player because they are concerned for them --- but, at least at Pro leve, that's the business of the physios, not the officials, who should be considering other things.

When you're watching the weekend highlights, examples will be there --- I'd be interested to see what others think about it.
In battles of wits players usually beat officials. on 01:32 - Dec 8 with 1975 viewsBoston

Dunno, in a battle of wits, most players come unarmed.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

In battles of wits players usually beat officials. on 07:48 - Dec 8 with 1914 viewsNorthernr

One thing I've seen a couple of times lately - Birmingham v Wolves and Ipswich v Sheff Wed - is clubs taking advantage of this game management, common sense approach from referees by sticking in a horrendous challenge on the opposition's best player in the first couple of minutes, knowing that more often than not at the moment referees will give the benefit of the doubt for a first foul early in the game as they don't want to reduce a team to ten men after a minute or two. Roberts on Jota the other night was absolutely disgusting and Loovens on McGoldrick put the Ipswich man in hospital - first one got a yellow, second not even that.

Of course first time one of ours tries this they'll be straight in the bath.

This post has been edited by an administrator
In battles of wits players usually beat officials. on 14:46 - Dec 9 with 1750 viewsOnlyMe

In battles of wits players usually beat officials. on 07:48 - Dec 8 by Northernr

One thing I've seen a couple of times lately - Birmingham v Wolves and Ipswich v Sheff Wed - is clubs taking advantage of this game management, common sense approach from referees by sticking in a horrendous challenge on the opposition's best player in the first couple of minutes, knowing that more often than not at the moment referees will give the benefit of the doubt for a first foul early in the game as they don't want to reduce a team to ten men after a minute or two. Roberts on Jota the other night was absolutely disgusting and Loovens on McGoldrick put the Ipswich man in hospital - first one got a yellow, second not even that.

Of course first time one of ours tries this they'll be straight in the bath.

This post has been edited by an administrator

For those who remember Billy Bremner, Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter etc, it's only history repeating itself. I can remember playing park football and coaches usually saying something along the lines of "give the 9 (or 10 or whatever) a good whack straight away --- slow him down a bit". Not quite the scenario you mention with Refs nowadays but what is likely true is that a player with a "bigger" club will get away with a llighter punishment than one from a perceived "lesser" one (us).
In battles of wits players usually beat officials. on 15:03 - Dec 9 with 1745 viewsBoston

In battles of wits players usually beat officials. on 14:46 - Dec 9 by OnlyMe

For those who remember Billy Bremner, Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter etc, it's only history repeating itself. I can remember playing park football and coaches usually saying something along the lines of "give the 9 (or 10 or whatever) a good whack straight away --- slow him down a bit". Not quite the scenario you mention with Refs nowadays but what is likely true is that a player with a "bigger" club will get away with a llighter punishment than one from a perceived "lesser" one (us).

Ha, reminds me of Mr Driscoll, Wembley Manor u11's..."let their no10 know that you're here".
[Post edited 9 Dec 2017 18:02]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024