Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is how a leader should act. 20:43 - May 31 with 14713 viewspeenemunde

Well done president Trump, protecting the American steel industry.
Doing what he said he’d do, during election campaign.
A man of his word........
This is how a leader should act. on 15:56 - Jun 8 with 1176 viewsShaky

You're wrong.

A country of the size and importance of Russia doesn't make it into the top 10 global economies:

http://statisticstimes.com/economy/countries-by-projected-gdp.php

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

This is how a leader should act. on 16:10 - Jun 8 with 1161 viewsLohengrin

This is how a leader should act. on 15:56 - Jun 8 by Shaky

You're wrong.

A country of the size and importance of Russia doesn't make it into the top 10 global economies:

http://statisticstimes.com/economy/countries-by-projected-gdp.php

So it is the safe and sensible thing to exclude Russia from international discourse based on a league table in the Statistics Times supplied by the press office of the IMF?

Yeah! you’ve got me all ends up there. I’m sold.

*NB: That last was a western European attempt at being ironic, as distinct from that you discerned the works of Marx to be freighted with on the other thread...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

This is how a leader should act. on 16:29 - Jun 8 with 1142 viewsShaky

This is how a leader should act. on 16:10 - Jun 8 by Lohengrin

So it is the safe and sensible thing to exclude Russia from international discourse based on a league table in the Statistics Times supplied by the press office of the IMF?

Yeah! you’ve got me all ends up there. I’m sold.

*NB: That last was a western European attempt at being ironic, as distinct from that you discerned the works of Marx to be freighted with on the other thread...

Russia is a full member of the IMF

https://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/memdir/memdate.htm

But if you want to flaunt your gullibility and susceptibility to crackpot conspiracy theories, please be my guest.

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 16:33 - Jun 8 with 1134 viewsShaky

Meanwhile Putin continues to play both sides against the middle:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Putin tells Europe on U.S. trade threat - 'I told you so'
By Andrew Osborn, Polina Nikolskaya

Reuters, World NewsJune 7, 2018 / 1:11 AM / Updated 12 hours ago

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that he had warned European countries years ago about the risk of the United States imposing its rules on others, and that they were now paying the price for ignoring him.

Speaking during a live television phone-in with the Russian people that lasted over four hours, Putin likened the tariffs that Washington imposed last week on steel and aluminium imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union to economic sanctions.

“It appears our partners thought that this would never affect them, this counterproductive politics of restrictions and sanctions. But now we are seeing that this is happening.”

The president said he had warned in a speech in Munich in 2007 about a growing U.S. sense of exceptionalism and the risk of it imposing its own rules on other countries.

“That is exactly what is happening now. Nobody wanted to listen, and nobody did anything to stop this from developing. Well, there you go, you’ve been hit. Dinner is served ... please sit down and eat.”

Putin also accused the United States of upsetting the strategic nuclear balance, and said nobody should take any hasty steps: “The understanding that a third world war could be the end of civilisation should restrain us.”
He put neighbouring Ukraine on notice that if it tried to make any military moves against pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine while Russia hosted the soccer World Cup this summer, Ukraine would suffer:

“I hope that there won’t be any provocations, but if it happens I think it would have very serious consequences for Ukrainian statehood in general.”

Full story: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-russia-putin/putin-on-living-standards-drive-t

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 16:44 - Jun 8 with 1122 viewsLohengrin

This is how a leader should act. on 16:29 - Jun 8 by Shaky

Russia is a full member of the IMF

https://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/memdir/memdate.htm

But if you want to flaunt your gullibility and susceptibility to crackpot conspiracy theories, please be my guest.

When addressing the problem of Russia you have to factor in two considerations: her formidable arsenal and her willingness to deploy it. Explain to me how my point about it being by far the wisest course to include her in bodies like the G7, to demonstrate the practical benefits of cooperation equates to a conspiracy theory?

In between your interminable copy and paste marathons you seem to be getting increasingly erratic Shaky, old chap.

Off to work now. Ta ra

This is how a leader should act. on 16:48 - Jun 8 with 1116 viewsShaky

This is how a leader should act. on 16:44 - Jun 8 by Lohengrin

When addressing the problem of Russia you have to factor in two considerations: her formidable arsenal and her willingness to deploy it. Explain to me how my point about it being by far the wisest course to include her in bodies like the G7, to demonstrate the practical benefits of cooperation equates to a conspiracy theory?

In between your interminable copy and paste marathons you seem to be getting increasingly erratic Shaky, old chap.

Off to work now. Ta ra

Erratic?

I have a low tolerance for dealing with intellectually dishonest posters such as yourself.

The G7 is an organisation intended to foster economic cooperation among the world's largest economies. In that forum, Russia has no place.

However, it is bollocks to say as you claimed that Russia is being excluded from international dialogue. Take their status as a permanent member of the UN security council, reflecting the military power and strategic importance.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 16:50]

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 16:57 - Jun 8 with 1111 viewsLohengrin

This is how a leader should act. on 16:48 - Jun 8 by Shaky

Erratic?

I have a low tolerance for dealing with intellectually dishonest posters such as yourself.

The G7 is an organisation intended to foster economic cooperation among the world's largest economies. In that forum, Russia has no place.

However, it is bollocks to say as you claimed that Russia is being excluded from international dialogue. Take their status as a permanent member of the UN security council, reflecting the military power and strategic importance.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 16:50]

This ‘moron’ has been running rings around you on here all afternoon.

I’d love to stick around and see what you can find to copy and paste to help you cope with being laughed at but I really must dash.

*NB - why the edit?
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 17:01]

This is how a leader should act. on 17:11 - Jun 8 with 1096 viewsShaky

This is how a leader should act. on 16:57 - Jun 8 by Lohengrin

This ‘moron’ has been running rings around you on here all afternoon.

I’d love to stick around and see what you can find to copy and paste to help you cope with being laughed at but I really must dash.

*NB - why the edit?
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 17:01]

Been running rings around me, have you?

I think somebody's had a laugh with the Welsh/English dictionary they sold you, mate.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Login to get fewer ads

This is how a leader should act. on 09:34 - Jun 9 with 1031 viewsShaky

Can he really be this stupid?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Economists reject Trump claims of unfair trade system
By Delphine Strauss in London

Financial Times, 8 June 2018

Donald Trump raged against his G7 allies this week, accusing them of charging the US “massive” tariffs and erecting barriers to keep American farmers out.

Economists, however, have heaped scorn on many of the US president’s claims, saying they were a distortion of reality that betrayed a lack of understanding of the issues or of what mattered for the US economy.

First, take Mr Trump’s claim, directed mainly at the EU and Canada, that “we charge a country ZERO to sell their goods, and they charge us 25, 50 or even 100 per cent”.

US tariffs are indeed slightly lower than those of the EU and Canada but the difference is marginal. WTO statistics show that the EU’s average trade-weighted tariff was 3 per cent in 2015, the latest year for which this figure was available. Canada’s average trade-weighted tariff was 3.1 per cent, compared with 2.4 per cent for the US.

The difference is even smaller when it comes to the tariffs that US exporters actually paid in 2015 – a weighted average of 1.4 per cent on non-agricultural goods sold in the EU, and 2.1 per cent on non-agricultural exports to Canada. EU exporters to the US paid an average weighted tariff of 1.6 per cent; Canadian exporters 1.3 per cent.

Paul Krugman, the US economist and Nobel laureate, said Mr Trump appeared to be mistaking the EU’s application of value-added-tax (charged on imported and domestically produced goods equally) for a tariff, showing that he was “making trade policy with zero understanding of the most basic facts and concepts”.

Adam Posen, president of the Washington-based Peterson Institute for International Economics think-tank, said: “Right now, the level of tariffs on trade in goods around the world is lower than it has been for 150 years . . . and that is due to the path of US policy over the last 75 years.”

Moreover, he added, each time the US had reached a so-called “bad deal” in trade negotiations, the other countries involved had lowered their tariffs and barriers more than the US.

These average tariffs are not the whole story, of course. One cause of contention is the EU’s 10 per cent tariff on car imports, which is far higher than the 2.5 per cent imposed by the US. But the US has much bigger barriers when it comes to pick-up trucks.

“That is the whole point of those deals . . . it depends on political preferences,” said Guntram Wolff, director of Bruegel, the Brussels-based think-tank.

Agricultural tariffs are in general higher, and in some cases punitive.

Mr Trump has called attention to Canada’s high tariffs on dairy imports. Canada’s so-called “supply management” policy, which governs dairy and poultry production, has long drawn criticism from Europe and Australia as well as the US – while driving up prices for Canadian consumers.

US farmers were unhappy when the Canadian government closed a loophole that previously allowed US processors to export cheap, ultra-filtered milk. US-Canadian disputes over the lumber industry date back even further – to George Washington’s presidency.

But the US sugar industry enjoys similar protection. David Henig, a trade expert at the European Centre for International Political Economy, said the main reason trade deals disadvantaged the US was because Washington’s focus was so often on agriculture, rather than on new growth sectors.

“He [Mr Trump] is going to make them worse, because he’s going to focus even more on old industries,” said Mr Henig. Mr Posen added: “Every country has its preferred handouts to farmers: it’s unfortunate but it’s hardly the point.”

Mr Posen said the one area where Mr Trump had “a bit of a point” was in non-tariff barriers. The US had in the past been relatively transparent, while some of its trade partners had used regulation to shelter their own producers.

Yet while this may be true at federal level, US states impose many more barriers. There is also a big exception, in the form of the “Buy American” laws that shut foreign companies out of US government procurement.

Mr Trump’s biggest gripe, of course, is the sheer size of the US trade deficit. But Gabriel Felbermayr, a trade expert at Germany’s IFO Institute, noted that Mr Trump “talks about the US deficit in goods, but forgets to mention that the US is running a massive surplus against the EU in services and corporate profits”.

Mr Wolff said Mr Trump’s fundamental mistake was to assume that the US trade deficit was a function of tariffs. “The main driver of the trade balance is domestic behaviour on savings and investment”, he said.He added that the president’s recent tax cuts gave “a huge stimulus to the consumer – that will increase it”.

https://www.ft.com/content/2edf26f8-6b28-11e8-b6eb-4acfcfb08c11

Misology -- It's a bitch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024