Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Belgium 17:54 - Jun 28 with 9433 viewsShun

Match thread: Belgium on 09:44 - Jun 29 with 2455 viewsNigeriamark

Match thread: Belgium on 09:03 - Jun 29 by davidab2202

Agreed the player who gained most out of last night was certainly Sterling,much as he needs to improve his contribution when playing for England he is in no danger of being replaced on last nights showing by Rashford.
Still would start Rose in preference to Young if only because Young has to always check back on to his right foot before crossing a ball.
Another to have his position in the team further nailed on last night was Henderson,who for all the pre tournament speculation as to whether it would be him or Dier in the team,looks streets better than Dier at the moment
Typical English view as to an "easier " route to the latter stages of the tournament being already nailed on.We have ONLY to beat" ONLY" Columbia first---watch us fall on our collective arse to ruin all this "done deal" speculation.

Agree with your last comment. We are getting a bit to billy big boll@k$ now. We should beat either side but open ourselves for all sorts of justified criticism if we lose to Columbia. Only 2 years since our “guaranteed” win over Iceland
Match thread: Belgium on 11:03 - Jun 29 with 2386 viewsDanny1907

Match thread: Belgium on 09:44 - Jun 29 by Nigeriamark

Agree with your last comment. We are getting a bit to billy big boll@k$ now. We should beat either side but open ourselves for all sorts of justified criticism if we lose to Columbia. Only 2 years since our “guaranteed” win over Iceland

Colombia will beat us, they've got exactly what we wouldn't be able to cope with - pace and power. Of course they could be missing James but the likes of Cuadrado would cause untold problems for us.

I thought last night was disgusting from us, who are we to assume we'd beat Colombia? If we'd have won then we would have played Japan and possibly Brazil in the quarters but with the way this world cup has gone, who knows? We've gone into a game without trying to win, Rashford has shown how overrated he is, a cruise ship turns quicker than Dier.

This will come back to bite Southgate and everyone else who thinks we'll easily make it to the semis because Colombia will beat us.
Match thread: Belgium on 11:37 - Jun 29 with 2349 viewsfermin

Match thread: Belgium on 09:03 - Jun 29 by davidab2202

Agreed the player who gained most out of last night was certainly Sterling,much as he needs to improve his contribution when playing for England he is in no danger of being replaced on last nights showing by Rashford.
Still would start Rose in preference to Young if only because Young has to always check back on to his right foot before crossing a ball.
Another to have his position in the team further nailed on last night was Henderson,who for all the pre tournament speculation as to whether it would be him or Dier in the team,looks streets better than Dier at the moment
Typical English view as to an "easier " route to the latter stages of the tournament being already nailed on.We have ONLY to beat" ONLY" Columbia first---watch us fall on our collective arse to ruin all this "done deal" speculation.

I do not see why saying one route is 'easier' is the same as saying it is 'easy' - playing Burnley in the FA Cup rather than Manchester City would be easier for us, but neither would be at all easy.

I haven't noticed anyone of any credibility saying it's now a done deal England will get to the semi-final because the team's limitations (and strengths) are well known. The stuff I have seen/heard says that Colombia could well beat England, but England also have a pretty good chance of beating them, especially if Rodriguez is not playing. Similarly for Sweden/Switzerland compared to Brazil in the quarter finals. Surely it is a given that this is just on paper and that they have to actually do it on the pitch.
Match thread: Belgium on 11:50 - Jun 29 with 2339 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Belgium on 11:03 - Jun 29 by Danny1907

Colombia will beat us, they've got exactly what we wouldn't be able to cope with - pace and power. Of course they could be missing James but the likes of Cuadrado would cause untold problems for us.

I thought last night was disgusting from us, who are we to assume we'd beat Colombia? If we'd have won then we would have played Japan and possibly Brazil in the quarters but with the way this world cup has gone, who knows? We've gone into a game without trying to win, Rashford has shown how overrated he is, a cruise ship turns quicker than Dier.

This will come back to bite Southgate and everyone else who thinks we'll easily make it to the semis because Colombia will beat us.

Will they be able to cope with our set pieces? Will they be able to stop the runs of Sterling and Lingard? Will they be able to handle Kane - top scorer and one of the best finisher's in the World? Instead of worrying about them maybe focus on England's positives?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Belgium on 12:01 - Jun 29 with 2326 viewsDanny1907

Match thread: Belgium on 11:50 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

Will they be able to cope with our set pieces? Will they be able to stop the runs of Sterling and Lingard? Will they be able to handle Kane - top scorer and one of the best finisher's in the World? Instead of worrying about them maybe focus on England's positives?

Of course we have some positives, every team does. The point I'm making is that trying to avoid the bigger and better teams in a world cup stinks of cowardice and I'd much rather go out to a Brazil than a Colombia or Switzerland. It's almost as if getting to the semi final is as good as winning it - you should go out to win every game and when Colombia do beat us there's going to be some questions and a bit of a backlash.
Match thread: Belgium on 12:13 - Jun 29 with 2302 viewsJimmyRustler

Match thread: Belgium on 08:36 - Jun 29 by Daley_Lama

As we've been ace in the tournament up until last night, the only suggestions of changes were as follows in the press

1. Rashford for Stirling.

I was in the "keep Stirling" camp in before last night and am even more so. He might not be able to score, but he is very creative

2. Rose for Young

I was in the "put Rose in" as I think he would offer more going forward. As we head into playing better teams however and having seen Rose be sold a cracking dummy for their goal, I've done an about turn and I'm back with Young now.

FWIW I rate Bertrand higher than Rose and was disappointed that he didn't make the squad
Match thread: Belgium on 12:22 - Jun 29 with 2286 viewsfunkkk

Every tournament where England play I hear that England fans are over confident and think they have a god-given right to win it. I'm yet to see any evidence...
Match thread: Belgium on 12:26 - Jun 29 with 2281 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Belgium on 11:37 - Jun 29 by fermin

I do not see why saying one route is 'easier' is the same as saying it is 'easy' - playing Burnley in the FA Cup rather than Manchester City would be easier for us, but neither would be at all easy.

I haven't noticed anyone of any credibility saying it's now a done deal England will get to the semi-final because the team's limitations (and strengths) are well known. The stuff I have seen/heard says that Colombia could well beat England, but England also have a pretty good chance of beating them, especially if Rodriguez is not playing. Similarly for Sweden/Switzerland compared to Brazil in the quarter finals. Surely it is a given that this is just on paper and that they have to actually do it on the pitch.

Exactly.

Dale "should" have beaten Lincoln last season. Millwall should have knocked us out of the FA Cup. We should never have earned a trip to Wembley, even against a less than full strength Spurs, let alone when they brought Alli and Kane on.

It's not so much who you play but more how you play in sudden death games. Of course, the form book often goes to form and "weaker teams" are overpowered like Panama was, but we saw what happened when we played Spurs at the COA in our "Cup Final". It's not dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog. Let's hope England fight like we can.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Belgium on 12:28 - Jun 29 with 2279 viewselectricblue

Many issues last night with that 11...
Playing Vardy and Rashford together never really put Belgium under that pressure at the back as they both want the ball over their shoulder....
My worry about Rashford is that he maybe seen as an impact player for the last 30mins of a game...
What was required last night was somebody in the Andy Carroll mould to muscle their defence.....
As for Columbia i cannot help but think they maybe just to quick and physical for england who knows really as now its the knockout stage and teams approach games differently...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Match thread: Belgium on 13:00 - Jun 29 with 2257 viewsShun

Match thread: Belgium on 08:57 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

And Young takes set pieces too. I like the fact Danny Rose went on the outside of his man a few times last night - and he's probably quicker than Young but Young is the safer option and is a much better passer. I'd say the only other dilemma is Loftus Cheek depending on Alli's fitness - Alli still has a lot to prove to be a guaranteed starter for me and his injury may be a concern.

Loftus-Cheek for me too. I think Alli is the most overrated player in the Premier League and currently at least Lingard is better than him. I’ve been really impressed with Loftus-Cheek this tournament and I think he’s got a bright future, so I hope he keeps his place.
Match thread: Belgium on 13:11 - Jun 29 with 2247 viewsfitzochris

I’ve watched Colombia twice so far this tournament. In both games they impressed me in certain areas. Yes, a lot depends on Rodriguez being fit, but, regardless, there are areas Southgate does need to be wary of. It is too simplistic to say “let them worry about us”.

The biggest one, for me, is their No.10, Quintero. Up against Jordan Henderson alone, I think he’ll cause a lot of problems. Would Southgate employ both Henderson and Dier? I doubt it.

Also, we know that if our wing backs are caught out of position, Cuadrado and Rodriguez or Muriel (spl?) are fast enough to get in behind to then cause chaos among our shaky back three (who also don’t like being pressed).

Falcao can be hot or cold (he looked ace against Poland but quiet against Senegal) but he’s still a very dangerous striker at international level.

At the back, they don’t impress me too much. They have a half-decent holding midfielder, but their centre halves and full backs seem to dive into a lot of tackles and Ospina in goal struggles with anything fired in at height. Trippier could have a field day.

So I think it will come down to who can outscore the other because I reckon both sides will score in this game. I dread the prospect of extra time and penalties.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 13:17]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Belgium on 13:26 - Jun 29 with 2232 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Belgium on 12:01 - Jun 29 by Danny1907

Of course we have some positives, every team does. The point I'm making is that trying to avoid the bigger and better teams in a world cup stinks of cowardice and I'd much rather go out to a Brazil than a Colombia or Switzerland. It's almost as if getting to the semi final is as good as winning it - you should go out to win every game and when Colombia do beat us there's going to be some questions and a bit of a backlash.

You are talking like England have fixed the draw? I'm glad Belgium will hopefully be playing Brazil in the quarters - that will be another potential winner gone out. In my lifetime watching World Cups we have gone out to Argentina in the Quarters,West Germany in the Semi's,Argentina in the last 16,Brazil in the Quarters,Portugal in the Quarters,Germany in the last 16 and Italy and Uruguay knocked us out in the group in Brazil. When have we ever had a favourable draw? I'd say only Italia 90 v Belgium and Cameroon and they both took us to extra time!
Now I'm not saying Colombia is a straightforward game because it isn't - they are full of quality but I believe on our day we have enough to cause them problems. We may win,lose or draw but we have a decent chance of progressing.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread: Belgium on 13:46 - Jun 29 with 2219 viewsjudd

Match thread: Belgium on 21:31 - Jun 28 by BigDaveMyCock

I didn’t think Jones was that bad. The big difference between this side and the ‘starting’ side is the tempo and that had a lot to with Dier who had absolutely no urgency whatsoever. Did you notice in the second half when Delph, who was no great shakes, on a couple of occasions ran back into Dier’s position to pick up the ball and run with it. In other words, will you fooking hurry up.

Dickhead.

Why try and play rugby?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread: Belgium on 14:29 - Jun 29 with 2168 viewsDanny1907

Match thread: Belgium on 13:26 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

You are talking like England have fixed the draw? I'm glad Belgium will hopefully be playing Brazil in the quarters - that will be another potential winner gone out. In my lifetime watching World Cups we have gone out to Argentina in the Quarters,West Germany in the Semi's,Argentina in the last 16,Brazil in the Quarters,Portugal in the Quarters,Germany in the last 16 and Italy and Uruguay knocked us out in the group in Brazil. When have we ever had a favourable draw? I'd say only Italia 90 v Belgium and Cameroon and they both took us to extra time!
Now I'm not saying Colombia is a straightforward game because it isn't - they are full of quality but I believe on our day we have enough to cause them problems. We may win,lose or draw but we have a decent chance of progressing.

Well we knew who we'd be playing before our game and at 1-0 down Southgate brings on Welbeck...doesn't that show a lot? I'd honestly love to see England win a knockout game! Would England beat Japan? More than likely. Will England beat Colombia? Probably not. Therefore, Southgate has thrown away the chance of progressing further in the world cup than we have for a long time because he's already looking beyond Colombia. It's arrogant and a big mistake.
Match thread: Belgium on 14:35 - Jun 29 with 2165 viewsMorden

Match thread: Belgium on 13:26 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

Nah, I'm with Danny on this one. I want to see England play the big boys, just like I wanted to see us play Spurs. Any of Columbia, Switzerland or Sweden can beat us and then where are you? Out without having played a team who have never won the WC.
Match thread: Belgium on 15:00 - Jun 29 with 2139 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Belgium on 14:29 - Jun 29 by Danny1907

Well we knew who we'd be playing before our game and at 1-0 down Southgate brings on Welbeck...doesn't that show a lot? I'd honestly love to see England win a knockout game! Would England beat Japan? More than likely. Will England beat Colombia? Probably not. Therefore, Southgate has thrown away the chance of progressing further in the world cup than we have for a long time because he's already looking beyond Colombia. It's arrogant and a big mistake.

He brought Welbeck on to give him a game - why would he risk bringing any of the 1st team on in the last 10 minutes of a game we didn't need to win? It was all about resting key players and giving squad players gametime. Imagine if Kane had come on and done his ankle ? Southgate would have been slaughtered. England had a night off and Colombia had a very tough 90 minutes in the afternoon sun. Why are you so confident Colombia will beat England by the way? They haven't done in 5 previous attempts?

Match thread: Belgium on 15:08 - Jun 29 with 2122 viewsDanny1907

Match thread: Belgium on 15:00 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

He brought Welbeck on to give him a game - why would he risk bringing any of the 1st team on in the last 10 minutes of a game we didn't need to win? It was all about resting key players and giving squad players gametime. Imagine if Kane had come on and done his ankle ? Southgate would have been slaughtered. England had a night off and Colombia had a very tough 90 minutes in the afternoon sun. Why are you so confident Colombia will beat England by the way? They haven't done in 5 previous attempts?

You should go into every game to try and win it! Try and win the group and then beat whoever is in the way, not avoiding teams because we're scared.

Colombia are a very good side, they have pace and strength everywhere, they'll expose our weaknesses and what has happened in the past is irrelevant - I'm talking about the two current sides. Southgate deliberately avoided the possibility of playing Brazil in the quarters. It's cowardice.
Match thread: Belgium on 15:15 - Jun 29 with 2111 viewsjudd

Match thread: Belgium on 15:08 - Jun 29 by Danny1907

You should go into every game to try and win it! Try and win the group and then beat whoever is in the way, not avoiding teams because we're scared.

Colombia are a very good side, they have pace and strength everywhere, they'll expose our weaknesses and what has happened in the past is irrelevant - I'm talking about the two current sides. Southgate deliberately avoided the possibility of playing Brazil in the quarters. It's cowardice.

Belgium had only beaten us once previously.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread: Belgium on 23:07 - Jul 3 with 1965 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Belgium on 11:03 - Jun 29 by Danny1907

Match thread: Belgium on 06:11 - Jul 4 with 1892 viewsfrenzied

Columbia tried to get England involved in a pub brawl situation,their spoiling tactics were dreadful,some of our lads almost fell for it.Thankfully the ref stood strong.
There will be massive learnings from that game both of a footballing and non footballing nature
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024