Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sol Campbell abuse 07:30 - Jan 30 with 7850 viewsqpr85

So I just read that Sol Campbell was getting pelters from Cheltenham fans, singing homophobic chants. Which is very surprising I'm this day and age but also goes to show we are still far away from having an openly gay football player.

Which for some reason is really important. I personally don't believe it is important, like the colour of a players skin, it means nothing to me. It won't change my opinion and in this day and age I'm sure it wouldn't matter to most people except knuckle dragging mouth breather.

Anyway my point is this Cheltenham have released a statement:
Cheltenham could not be reached for comment. However in a statement on its website the club said it wanted to remind all supporters “that it is against the law to shout or chant abuse on the grounds of ability or disability; age; gender; gender reassignment; marital status or civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race, nationality or ethnicity; religion or belief; or sexual orientation."

It is against the law to chant abuse about Ability?? Does this mean that shouting/chanting "Your $hit and you know you are" and if someone is slow and lazy we can't tell them either?? I honestly didn't realise most of the songs sung at games across the country could land someone in court or band from games.

Also if we play Brighton again soon are we no longer able to sing "we can see you holding hands"?
Sol Campbell abuse on 19:35 - Jan 30 with 1484 viewsNW5Hoop

Sol Campbell abuse on 09:21 - Jan 30 by qpr85

The reason why I'd want to is because it is very funny and not overtly homophobic, just a little.

To the ability, I don't know of many disabled football players that have made it to being a professional football player. I do remember a Peterborough United player who only had a couple of digits on each hand. His name escapes me but I don't remember him ever getting abuse about it.
I genuinely was asking, with the current state of affairs where everyone gets offended by everything, is this a serious statement against having ago at professional football players?
Clearly it would mean what you said Brian but I just wanted to be sure.

"Just a little homophobic".

Maybe even a little homophobia is too much. In the same way as even a little racism is too much.
Sol Campbell abuse on 19:37 - Jan 30 with 1482 viewsNW5Hoop

Sol Campbell abuse on 11:15 - Jan 30 by qpr85

Wow didn't think that tongue in cheek comment would be picked apart. I'm sorry it offended you.
No men holding hands isn't funny to me but singing it to men women and children because they come from Brighton is funny. It's a silly song that I liked when I heard it. It's not homophobic, it's a joke.

My original point has been proven, you can't say naff all without offending someone.

My post was also meant to showcase how we are still far from having an openly gay footballer, whether that's what people believe we should have or not, it's still a long way away.

Edit: Before anyone miss construeds the statement of whether we should have one or not. Being 2019 it shouldn't matter whether they are gay or not but if they were wanting to come out clearly there are people that would make their professional life a misery.

It is homophobic. Because you are equating coming from Brighton with being gay, and then identifying being gay as something to mock. Of course it's homophobic. Chants like that are the reason there aren't openly gay footballers.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 19:40]
Sol Campbell abuse on 20:02 - Jan 30 with 1443 viewsqpr85

Sol Campbell abuse on 19:37 - Jan 30 by NW5Hoop

It is homophobic. Because you are equating coming from Brighton with being gay, and then identifying being gay as something to mock. Of course it's homophobic. Chants like that are the reason there aren't openly gay footballers.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 19:40]

Actually there are far far worse than that. Even Matt Lucas finds the humorous side of we can see you holding hands.

does your boyfriend know you're here and standing up cos you can't sit down are just 2 that spring to mind but hey let's not let semantics let you get in the way of being outraged.

Again I actually only mentioned that as I thought it was a funny song rather than all out homophobic as stated above even a homosexual man isn't offended by it so, I'm only guessing, all you straight people calling it homophobic may need lighten up and not speak for gay people.
Sol Campbell abuse on 20:32 - Jan 30 with 1398 viewshopphoops

Sol Campbell abuse on 19:09 - Jan 30 by paulparker

Nothing absurd about my post it’s an observation of the hypocrisy of this forum and some of its members

To be honest Paul I saw that as a troll come blundering in and get dispatched with his tail between his legs, while most posters shook their heads and moved on.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Sol Campbell abuse on 22:23 - Jan 30 with 1327 viewsHadders

Hope it wasn't the song Spurs' supporters used to sing about him. We've all heard some unpleasant abuse at football, but that was vile.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 22:24]
Sol Campbell abuse on 22:36 - Jan 30 with 1314 viewssmegma

Sol Campbell abuse on 20:02 - Jan 30 by qpr85

Actually there are far far worse than that. Even Matt Lucas finds the humorous side of we can see you holding hands.

does your boyfriend know you're here and standing up cos you can't sit down are just 2 that spring to mind but hey let's not let semantics let you get in the way of being outraged.

Again I actually only mentioned that as I thought it was a funny song rather than all out homophobic as stated above even a homosexual man isn't offended by it so, I'm only guessing, all you straight people calling it homophobic may need lighten up and not speak for gay people.

But then Matt Lucas is to comedy what I am to brain surgery.
Sol Campbell abuse on 07:22 - Jan 31 with 1204 viewsWixamsR

Sol Campbell abuse on 20:02 - Jan 30 by qpr85

I am not offended by songs like that because I am not gay.

Matt Lucas may not be offended by the song despite being gay, he may view it as a bit of fun and decide there is no offence to be taken.

Another gay man who is present may see it as mocking his sexuality and therefore take offence.

Which of the three of us is right?

Also, chucking the 'even a homosexual man isn't offended by it...' line in is a little embarrassing.
Sol Campbell abuse on 09:20 - Jan 31 with 1177 viewsqpr85

Sol Campbell abuse on 07:22 - Jan 31 by WixamsR

I am not offended by songs like that because I am not gay.

Matt Lucas may not be offended by the song despite being gay, he may view it as a bit of fun and decide there is no offence to be taken.

Another gay man who is present may see it as mocking his sexuality and therefore take offence.

Which of the three of us is right?

Also, chucking the 'even a homosexual man isn't offended by it...' line in is a little embarrassing.

I was more interested in stating as straight men you really have no reason to say it's 100% homophobic and shouldn't be sung.
As you are speaking on behalf of someone rather than someone who has been persecuted day in by actual homophobic aholes.

Pulling that card was much better than saying my gay friend thinks it's stupid and silly but not homophobic. That would be so embarrassing for me.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2019 9:23]
Login to get fewer ads

Sol Campbell abuse on 13:56 - Jan 31 with 1061 viewsR_from_afar

There was an interesting moment on a stag do I went on. There were about 20 of us, tanked up and jovial as we were being driven to the next watering hole. There was banter and mucking about and a great atmosphere.

Then an Arsenal fan in the party started one of those racist chants they make about Spurs fans. It was stunning just how fast the mood changed, like someone flipped a switch. Everyone seemed to sober up in an instant and he was told in no uncertain terms to stop.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024