Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieng gone 10:47 - Jul 26 with 4142 viewsLongsufferingR

Loan to Doncaster. Down to the bare bones with keepers now.
Dieng gone on 09:53 - Jul 27 with 982 viewsBklynRanger

Dieng gone on 20:35 - Jul 26 by PlanetHonneywood

Dieng Gone Donny - Sounds like a place America would have bombed to smithereens during their trouncing by Vietnam.

Little known fact, around the time of WW1, Ho Chi Minh used to work in the hotel that is now the Drayton Court pub in west Ealing.

Fact of the week there!

Suppose he must have had a bad experience with a customer.
Dieng gone on 10:02 - Jul 27 with 962 viewssmegma

Dieng gone on 01:09 - Jul 27 by Boston

Argentina does still claim the Falklands.

It’s no big deal to read military history, the Vietnam War was well documented, every battle is covered in great detail.

I've read many a history book on both conflicts . I also have two friends who are Falklands vets, one sits in the Loft in HU block.He is mentioned in about 4 books. Ive also visited both Argentina and Vietnam. But thanks for being patronising.
Dieng gone on 10:14 - Jul 27 with 943 viewssmegma

Dieng gone on 04:44 - Jul 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Little known fact three: while in the Cu Chi tunnels museum back in 97, I learned that former Israeli defence minister, Moshe Dayan, was brought over to Nam by the US generals in 1966 or 67 as I recall, to give them his opinion. Apparently, half way through and with more to see, he told them he’d seen enough and advised, ‘get out now, you can’t win!’

Of course, if you’re correct and the US won, it puts a whole new slant on those images of: frantic scurrying off the US embassy roof top eight years later; of Hueys being hurriedly tossed off the side of aircraft carriers; and the subsequent years of recriminations were actually, a period of analysing a ‘good jaarb’ - the benefits of which were clearly evident in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of more significance, someone really ought to tell all those ‘vets’ who’ve spent decades in mental disarray and being held together down at their local VA, what the new alternative facts are! And while we’re at it, Hollywood needs in on this, so it can remake all those angst ridden films into glorious victory parades.

When i did the Cu Chi tunnels I suddenly had a panic attack due to claustrophobia and tried to turn around and run for the exit. Unfortunately there were a group of Korean sailors behind me. My screams could be heard in Saigon !!! Worse feeling ever.
Dieng gone on 10:17 - Jul 27 with 929 viewssmegma

Little known fact three: while in the Cu Chi tunnels museum back in 97, I learned that former Israeli defence minister, Moshe Dayan, was brought over to Nam by the US generals in 1966 or 67 as I recall, to give them his opinion. Apparently, half way through and with more to see, he told them he’d seen enough and advised, ‘get out now, you can’t win!’

Of course, if you’re correct and the US won, it puts a whole new slant on those images of: frantic scurrying off the US embassy roof top eight years later; of Hueys being hurriedly tossed off the side of aircraft carriers; and the subsequent years of recriminations were actually, a period of analysing a ‘good jaarb’ - the benefits of which were clearly evident in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of more significance, someone really ought to tell all those ‘vets’ who’ve spent decades in mental disarray and being held together down at their local VA, what the new alternative facts are! And while we’re at it, Hollywood needs in on this, so it can remake all those angst ridden films into glorious victory parades.

Meanwhile 2 & 3 para were trounced at Wireless Ridge and Goose Green. My mate in HU block did in fact spend 20 years in an Argentine military prison after we surrendered to General Galtieri.
Dieng gone on 10:39 - Jul 27 with 887 viewsoldmisery

All my QPR pals are getting very tetchy about your war with the USA all of a sudden I said to my mate, Nguyen Sinh Cung, when I spoke to him on his mobile phone this morning.
Dieng gone on 12:06 - Jul 27 with 746 viewsHooparoo

Bye bye baby, baby bye bye

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Dieng gone on 12:26 - Jul 27 with 722 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Dieng gone on 10:14 - Jul 27 by smegma

When i did the Cu Chi tunnels I suddenly had a panic attack due to claustrophobia and tried to turn around and run for the exit. Unfortunately there were a group of Korean sailors behind me. My screams could be heard in Saigon !!! Worse feeling ever.

The torch of a Japanese girl in front of me packed in, and caused her to go into a frightful panic. There was only a couple of people behind me and they started to get edgy when we realised, the soppy prick in front of the Japanese girl had forgotten her/us.

Words were had with the gormless git!

Not sure when you were there Smeg, but they proudly announced they’d widened the tunnels when I went in back in 97. Whatever there were like before I shudder to think; you couldn’t get fag paper either side of you on my trip. The four of us all came out sweatier than a glassblower’s ‘arris, it was so bloody hot underground. How people lived down there for years, I’ll never know.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Dieng gone on 12:48 - Jul 27 with 706 viewssmegma

I was there two years after you in 99. I went in the redesigned 'foreigner' tunnels and yet still had a panic attack. My ex missus went in the original ones and even she said it was hard work and claustrophobic. One of the most amazing feats of engineering that saw off both the French and the yanks.
Login to get fewer ads

Dieng gone on 00:00 - Aug 1 with 539 viewsBoston

Huh, I didn't say the US won. I'll repeat myself, the US Army was very successful on the battlefield, there wasn't a single military engagement of any size in which they did not come out on top. The US Generals didn't need Moshe Dayan's advice, Charles De Gaulle was adamant that the fighting conditions would lead to a quagmire, but there was already widespread division among them about fighting in yet another countries domestic issues. As I'm sure you're aware, the American Army had withdrawn years(4?), before the end of the conflict and the chaotic scene of that helicopter on a roof actually shows part of the attempt to airlift as many Vietnamese civilians as possible before the Viet Cong entered Saigon, logistical the evacuation of US Embassy Staff had gone well. Thousands of boats were simultaneously sailing from ports all along the coast in hope of being picked up by passing warships and millions of Vietnamese reside in the US today as a result of this war. I live beside and work with many Vietnamese ( the south side of Boston has a large population originating from 'Indochina'), some of whom are business associates of mine and I've been regaled many times with the horror story's of this conflict.
The VA's have patients from every military action this country has been involved in, but many soldiers, sailors, marines and air force from every nation, including Britain, suffer from mental disarray stemming or exacerbated by their experiences in the services. If the Pentagon learned anything, they saw how a professional body was preferred to conscripts.

On a friendlier note, today, the US is one, if not the largest trading partner with Vietnam.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024