Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day for Football return 17:45 - Apr 13 with 5172 viewsdurham_exile

It would seem that English football could return on June 6th if the authorities are given the green light.

May 16 would mark a mini period for the equivalent of pre season games prior to the completion of the 19/20 season.

Initially the games will be played behind closed doors.

Still lots to discuss but a plan is clearly being considered.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 19:13]

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 16:59 - May 2 with 1564 viewsnoah4x4

D Day for Football return on 09:09 - May 2 by bwildered

Seems all noises indicate whether a finish or resumption to the season, behind closed door games until 2021.

One comment made by an official from Bristol Rovers echoed by Bradford City isn't Government policy. I think we should be patient rather than listen to the media frenzy and wild speculation. If there is 'herd immunity' (and we don't yet know), Coronavirus might vanish as fast as it came if we keep the rate of infection (Ro) below 1.

However, I think it unrealistic to believe that the season can complete its natural course. Some compromise is likely.

I suggest the regular season ends now with promotion and relegation decided by an averaging of points and goal difference, with play offs, when feasible, limited to what is necessary to resolve any outstanding doubts. For example;

Liverpool take title. Play offs occur between West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Aston Villa to determine which two go down with Norwich. Merely three games required. Could be behind closed doors once all players of these four clubs test negative.

The Championship simply needs the regular Play Offs. Charlton, Luton, Barnsley, relegated. Three games required.

League One promotion is more difficult as positions two to eight need to play off. But relegation is sorted as Tranmere can't catch Wimbledon unless they win their game in hand by 11-0. Seven games required.

League Two is the easiest of the lot. Three games.

Sorted!
D Day for Football return on 21:13 - May 4 with 1476 viewsBFG

Another interesting point heard today, if lower league clubs take their players off the furlough scheme then they have to pay them more on the back of no income. Basically at our level playing out the season wont work.
D Day for Football return on 22:40 - May 8 with 1407 viewsmfb_cufc

South Korea started playing today, and Germany's top two divisions are starting on 16th May.
Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia, Israel, Portugal, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Turkey, Iceland, Finland and Sweden also have confirmed start dates.

Not such good news regarding Leagues One and Two in England. The English Football League will next week tell clubs in Leagues One and Two there is no chance of playing any more games this season and ask them to vote on a method to decide promotion and relegation.

EFL chairman Rick Parry told MPs on the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee on Wednesday morning that a resolution to the season in the third and fourth tiers was only a matter of days away and it now seems a decision could come as early as Monday or Tuesday.

Full details can be found here:-

https://www.goalprofits.com/coronavirus-football-leagues/
[Post edited 9 May 2020 14:47]

mfb

D Day for Football return on 13:47 - May 9 with 1369 viewsgerry_us

Pretty obvious that there will be no further Div. 1 or 2 matches this season for many obvious reasons. Therefore I propose promotion should be determined from top 8 alphabetically... Ergo. Crewe, Chelts. & Col.U
There we are. Done and dusted.
D Day for Football return on 21:21 - May 9 with 1332 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 13:47 - May 9 by gerry_us

Pretty obvious that there will be no further Div. 1 or 2 matches this season for many obvious reasons. Therefore I propose promotion should be determined from top 8 alphabetically... Ergo. Crewe, Chelts. & Col.U
There we are. Done and dusted.

I wish it were so Gerry.

All this lack of direction is going to destroy football.

The Premier League don't give a damn about the lower leagues. The EFL lack any leadership or direction and the result is that we will spend yet another season in league two.

I am incandescent with rage about this shambles. Yes I know that football pales into insignificance with what is sadly happening in our hospitals and care homes but the so called football management are demonstrating a total lack of acumen and expertise in giving direction.

I say void all the leagues and start again in September but no the bloody premier league don't want that.

Bolocks to them.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 22:17 - May 9 with 1321 viewsGOSBTS

I can sympathise that the PL and EFL (well, Leagues 1 and 2) face contrasting issues. Whereas there are big financial implications of not playing out the rest of the season in terms of the broadcasting deal for the PL teams, conversely playing games behind closed doors for League One or Two may be ruinous to teams like Col U.

However, the latest news out of Germany really does emphasise how impossible it is going to be for the PL to try and resume the season. Dynamo Dresden in the 2. Bundesliga have had to put their whole team in isolation for 14 days (and will thus miss their first fixture of the restart) as two of their players have contracted coronavirus. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52601471
[Post edited 9 May 2020 22:17]
D Day for Football return on 14:37 - May 10 with 1284 viewsmfb_cufc

D Day for Football return on 21:21 - May 9 by durham_exile

I wish it were so Gerry.

All this lack of direction is going to destroy football.

The Premier League don't give a damn about the lower leagues. The EFL lack any leadership or direction and the result is that we will spend yet another season in league two.

I am incandescent with rage about this shambles. Yes I know that football pales into insignificance with what is sadly happening in our hospitals and care homes but the so called football management are demonstrating a total lack of acumen and expertise in giving direction.

I say void all the leagues and start again in September but no the bloody premier league don't want that.

Bolocks to them.

Up the U's

All maybe not lost just yet, durham. Some interesting comments from Darragh MacAnthony the Peterborough Chairman, talking on TalkSport.

mfb

D Day for Football return on 18:26 - May 10 with 1271 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 14:37 - May 10 by mfb_cufc

All maybe not lost just yet, durham. Some interesting comments from Darragh MacAnthony the Peterborough Chairman, talking on TalkSport.

Mick a very interesting interview with Peterbore chairman.

I understand the club's must vote to determine the season.

I cannot see the

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

D Day for Football return on 18:28 - May 10 with 1271 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 14:37 - May 10 by mfb_cufc

I cannot see the club's all playing their games and so perhaps the play offs could be staged.

We wait out and try to remain positive.

UTU's

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 18:43 - May 11 with 1218 viewsLeadbelly

D Day for Football return on 18:28 - May 10 by durham_exile

I cannot see the club's all playing their games and so perhaps the play offs could be staged.

We wait out and try to remain positive.

UTU's

Announced today that no professional sport before 1 June. Can’t see how this season will be completed.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

D Day for Football return on 19:29 - May 11 with 1216 viewsnoah4x4

Funny how Brighton, Tranmere and Southend are all calling for season to be ended now without promotion or relegation!
D Day for Football return on 21:50 - May 11 with 1194 viewsLeadbelly

D Day for Football return on 19:29 - May 11 by noah4x4

Funny how Brighton, Tranmere and Southend are all calling for season to be ended now without promotion or relegation!

With Southend fans claiming it’s to maintain the integrity of the competition. How very noble of them.

D Day for Football return on 00:30 - May 12 with 1183 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 21:50 - May 11 by Leadbelly

With Southend fans claiming it’s to maintain the integrity of the competition. How very noble of them.

We may know more after Wednesday but unlike the premier League who seemingly will play their remaining fixtures we in league two will have to make do with an unacceptable finish which may even mean no more games because I can't see the clubs voting to agree a play off solution for promotion.

Totally unsatisfactory.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 22:49 - May 12 with 1142 viewsGOSBTS

D Day for Football return on 19:29 - May 11 by noah4x4

I feel the need to defend my team and point out that we are currently sitting in 15th, a healthy couple of places above the relegation zone! Our main concern is resuming the season at neutral grounds, due to the fact that four of our remaining five home games would be against top six clubs. For a team like ours you need every grain of advantage to be able to compete in such games, and therefore neutral venues takes that away. The integrity of the competition is thus compromised (Brighton argue) because teams like Norwich used home field advantage in their victory over Man City earlier in the season, whilst we would be robbed of that.

It’s all immaterial though as I really can’t see how football will return in any of the leagues.
D Day for Football return on 15:38 - May 15 with 1061 viewsgerry_us

Looks like just three games for the U's for promotion to Div 1 then.
That obviously assumes that Div 1 (bless 'em) will let us in! Surely the Div 2 settlement is the only way to go. And what about promotion from the Conference? Seems harsh on Barrow and a get out for Stevenage.
Lots to solve yet.
D Day for Football return on 20:43 - May 15 with 1034 viewsmfb_cufc

D Day for Football return on 15:38 - May 15 by gerry_us

Looks like just three games for the U's for promotion to Div 1 then.
That obviously assumes that Div 1 (bless 'em) will let us in! Surely the Div 2 settlement is the only way to go. And what about promotion from the Conference? Seems harsh on Barrow and a get out for Stevenage.
Lots to solve yet.

However League 1 decide to sort their season out I am sure there will still be promotion and relegation in that Division. I take it Barrow will still be promoted Gerry, because with four going up from League 2, and only three coming down from League 1, even with Stevenage not being relegated, League 2 will be one short.

mfb

D Day for Football return on 23:10 - May 15 with 1023 viewsLeadbelly

D Day for Football return on 20:43 - May 15 by mfb_cufc

However League 1 decide to sort their season out I am sure there will still be promotion and relegation in that Division. I take it Barrow will still be promoted Gerry, because with four going up from League 2, and only three coming down from League 1, even with Stevenage not being relegated, League 2 will be one short.

As Bury went under presumably one division will be one short, whatever happens with promotion and relegation.

D Day for Football return on 00:10 - May 16 with 1014 viewsnoah4x4

D Day for Football return on 23:10 - May 15 by Leadbelly

As Bury went under presumably one division will be one short, whatever happens with promotion and relegation.

Just suppose the proposed play offs proceed, but six EFL clubs go bust.

Might any six of the top ten of the Conference then go up given four might fail within that group?

Ironically, furlough and the taxpayer paying its players has probably improved Macclesfield's likelihood of survival.
D Day for Football return on 18:04 - May 16 with 959 viewsburnsieespana

D Day for Football return on 00:10 - May 16 by noah4x4

Just suppose the proposed play offs proceed, but six EFL clubs go bust.

Might any six of the top ten of the Conference then go up given four might fail within that group?

Ironically, furlough and the taxpayer paying its players has probably improved Macclesfield's likelihood of survival.

And don't suppose it has done sarfend any harm either!
D Day for Football return on 20:16 - May 16 with 950 viewsmfb_cufc

How the League 2 clubs reacted to the season being cancelled early:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52689622

mfb

D Day for Football return on 22:46 - May 18 with 886 viewsmfb_cufc

The latest statement from Robbie Cowling. Taking part in the play-offs is going to cost us £200,000 - £300,000.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/may/club-statement---covid-19-latest/

mfb

D Day for Football return on 23:25 - May 18 with 881 viewsgerry_us

D Day for Football return on 22:46 - May 18 by mfb_cufc

The latest statement from Robbie Cowling. Taking part in the play-offs is going to cost us £200,000 - £300,000.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/may/club-statement---covid-19-latest/

Well spoken Sir. An uplifting and very well written article.
With Robbie we will survive.
D Day for Football return on 23:42 - May 18 with 880 viewswessex_exile

D Day for Football return on 23:25 - May 18 by gerry_us

Well spoken Sir. An uplifting and very well written article.
With Robbie we will survive.

Couldn’t agree more, a voice of reason which makes me glad we’ve got Robbie looking after us!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

D Day for Football return on 07:58 - May 19 with 871 viewsMoor_Pinot

D Day for Football return on 23:42 - May 18 by wessex_exile

Couldn’t agree more, a voice of reason which makes me glad we’ve got Robbie looking after us!

Ditto, Wessex.
He may divide opinion at times but I have always been grateful for Mr Cowling and his level head.

Moor Pinot

D Day for Football return on 11:11 - May 20 with 790 viewsburnsieespana

Yes an uplifting statement from Robbie showing he really has the interests of Col U close to his heart.
We will survive!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024