Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is "Red Card" in German? 20:31 - Jun 27 with 1191 viewsGloryHunter

After 30 years of football-watching together, Frau GloryHunter has astonishingly waited for this moment to reveal to me that Red Card in vernacular German is Arschkarte. Yes, it translates exactly as it sounds. Allegedly, when yellow and red cards were first introduced in the 1970s (and it was different years in different countries), most German homes still had black-and-white TVs. So viewers couldn't tell which colour card the ref was brandishing. So the referees adopted the practice of keeping the yellow card in their shirt pocket, and the red card in their back shorts pocket. So the ref reaching behind him for the Arschkarte was bad news for a player. This has now become standard German slang for having a bit of bad luck, or drawing the short straw, or getting sacked from your job.

Has anyone heard of this before?

PS. While writing this, I noticed that the red card sending de Ligt off definitely came from the ref's shirt pocket!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2021 21:06]
What is "Red Card" in German? on 00:36 - Jun 28 with 1001 viewsdixiedean

This sounds like a clue on Call My Bluff . I can see Frank Muir performing this in his bow tie . I have a degree in German and lived and played football there for a year ( admittedly in the 80s) and I’ve never heard it called that . But I will ask one of my old team mates to get it from the horse’s mouth . Sounds very plausible though !
What is "Red Card" in German? on 10:53 - Jun 28 with 803 viewsGloryHunter

What is "Red Card" in German? on 00:36 - Jun 28 by dixiedean

This sounds like a clue on Call My Bluff . I can see Frank Muir performing this in his bow tie . I have a degree in German and lived and played football there for a year ( admittedly in the 80s) and I’ve never heard it called that . But I will ask one of my old team mates to get it from the horse’s mouth . Sounds very plausible though !

It is a common expression, for sure - "Er hat die Arschkarte gezogen" - lit. He pulled the ass card. But I'm not sure that every German is aware of its origins. Frau GloryHunter herself only just discovered that while watching a German TV football show.

[Edit: die, not der. Pot luck for English speakers to get the right one.]
[Post edited 28 Jun 2021 12:09]
What is "Red Card" in German? on 12:00 - Jun 28 with 752 viewswillis1980

What is "Red Card" in German? on 10:53 - Jun 28 by GloryHunter

It is a common expression, for sure - "Er hat die Arschkarte gezogen" - lit. He pulled the ass card. But I'm not sure that every German is aware of its origins. Frau GloryHunter herself only just discovered that while watching a German TV football show.

[Edit: die, not der. Pot luck for English speakers to get the right one.]
[Post edited 28 Jun 2021 12:09]

ive never heard of the origins you described above, i also was never aware of its links to football. Ive always know the phrase to be akin to "he was dealt a poor hand"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024