Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes 22:20 - Aug 17 with 3347 viewsGeoffThom

Please please please somebody sign him
Grimes on 22:49 - Aug 17 with 2559 views34dfgdf54

Big fan of him but he was awful tonight, as were the majority.
Grimes on 23:12 - Aug 17 with 2512 viewsAndyCole

Has been head n shoulders above almost all-comers.

Failing to find his mojo under Martin. He needs to move up to bigger and better.

However I fear for our midfield under Martin and without Grimes.

- Downes - What an earth does he offer us ?

He's not as good as Grimes as CDM; not as good as Fulton further fwd; not the dog that Smith is.

Martin needs to sort this out asap.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Grimes on 00:03 - Aug 18 with 2455 viewsGeoffThom

Grimes on 23:12 - Aug 17 by AndyCole

Has been head n shoulders above almost all-comers.

Failing to find his mojo under Martin. He needs to move up to bigger and better.

However I fear for our midfield under Martin and without Grimes.

- Downes - What an earth does he offer us ?

He's not as good as Grimes as CDM; not as good as Fulton further fwd; not the dog that Smith is.

Martin needs to sort this out asap.

Rubbish grimes has flattered to deceive for years only time I’d say not was under potter
He’s not a captain never has been his scoring record is poor and yeah what a pass rate backward sideways top of the class
No driving forward with him ,we need to get a better player than him
Oh for a bodde
Grimes on 06:32 - Aug 18 with 2362 viewsbuilthjack

He has slowed our game down these last few years.
Totally one footed, he has to swivel to get it on his left foot, by which time it's too late to pass forward, so ends up stopping the flow of play.
Has improved a little over the years, but really is a bottom half championship player.
Captain - Never seen such a quiet one. He has no clout on the field.
Corners - why oh why is he back taking them? The ball rarely rises above 5 foot and are a total waste.
Transfer - speculation for a few years, but would anyone actually want him? I doubt it.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Grimes on 06:59 - Aug 18 with 2335 viewsDr_Winston

Can't take free kicks. Can't take corners. Doesn't set the tempo. Doesn't create.

Grimes has never been up to much. Can be shielded in a defensive setup that doesn't need him to do anything other than be a Steady Eddie. Utterly out of his depth when asked to be dynamic.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Grimes on 14:32 - Aug 18 with 2168 viewsCatullus

All I see Grimes doing is slowing us down. He comes so deep for the ball and is getting caught in possession, it puts us in trouble.

He does very little creatively. At least Dhanda tries the killer pass, Grimes always takes the safe option. It gives him a good completion rate but it gives us little going forward. This is where stats are misleading. You can look a stats and say which team they point towards as winners but it doesn't work like that, reality can be very different.

Look at Cardiff last season, regularly low possession and poor territorially, regularly though having more shots on target and winning points. Stats only show part of the picture, you have to watch the games to see the whole picture.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Grimes on 15:13 - Aug 18 with 2122 viewsWhiterockin

Grimes on 14:32 - Aug 18 by Catullus

All I see Grimes doing is slowing us down. He comes so deep for the ball and is getting caught in possession, it puts us in trouble.

He does very little creatively. At least Dhanda tries the killer pass, Grimes always takes the safe option. It gives him a good completion rate but it gives us little going forward. This is where stats are misleading. You can look a stats and say which team they point towards as winners but it doesn't work like that, reality can be very different.

Look at Cardiff last season, regularly low possession and poor territorially, regularly though having more shots on target and winning points. Stats only show part of the picture, you have to watch the games to see the whole picture.

Grimes does a great deal off the ball mainly out of sight, if you are not looking for it. An example would be last night when the defenders were pushing forward with the ball Grimes was the last player covering.
Grimes on 16:34 - Aug 18 with 2066 viewsCatullus

Grimes on 15:13 - Aug 18 by Whiterockin

Grimes does a great deal off the ball mainly out of sight, if you are not looking for it. An example would be last night when the defenders were pushing forward with the ball Grimes was the last player covering.

Last player covering? Our pivot, our playmaker was our last man in defence? It's because he's so often that deep that he causes problems as with the second goal.

Several players do a great deal off the ball, they have to. They have to cover players going forward, they have to cover opposition runs, they have to cover space at set pieces, they have to make forward runs to try and make space or provide opporrtunities. Grimes isn't alone in doing stuff off the ball. Those other players though, they aren't the ones dropping too deep and getting caught in possession or slowing play down to a standstill.

I guess we'll have to disagree about Grimes though because Martin wants him. I'll have to trust Martins Judgement as I trusted Coopers, until he no longer warranted my trust.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Grimes on 16:56 - Aug 18 with 2044 viewspencoedjack

Wont Stoke do a swap?

Id take a 31 year old Joey Allen over Grimes all day long.
Grimes on 17:07 - Aug 18 with 2029 viewsjasper_T

Grimes on 16:34 - Aug 18 by Catullus

Last player covering? Our pivot, our playmaker was our last man in defence? It's because he's so often that deep that he causes problems as with the second goal.

Several players do a great deal off the ball, they have to. They have to cover players going forward, they have to cover opposition runs, they have to cover space at set pieces, they have to make forward runs to try and make space or provide opporrtunities. Grimes isn't alone in doing stuff off the ball. Those other players though, they aren't the ones dropping too deep and getting caught in possession or slowing play down to a standstill.

I guess we'll have to disagree about Grimes though because Martin wants him. I'll have to trust Martins Judgement as I trusted Coopers, until he no longer warranted my trust.

Our defensive midfielder was defending, yeah.
Grimes on 17:15 - Aug 18 with 2005 viewsjasper_T

Grimes on 16:56 - Aug 18 by pencoedjack

Wont Stoke do a swap?

Id take a 31 year old Joey Allen over Grimes all day long.

Think they would, were supposedly offering him around in the summer trying to shift his £50k/week wages. Our budget stretch that far?
Grimes on 17:16 - Aug 18 with 2002 viewsploppy

Grimes on 17:07 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Our defensive midfielder was defending, yeah.

Well, he's either a defensive midfielder or a playmaker. Some on here seem to think he's a playmaker. If he's a defensive midfielder he should do what defensive midfielders do and not get involved in anything else. To start with, we should stop him receiving the ball from the goalkeeper. It's becoming painful to watch - when we start building attacks everyone is looking for Grimes, as if we can't move forward without him "dictating play" - and by that I mean "slowing it down to walking pace to allow the opposition to get back in shape".
Grimes on 17:45 - Aug 18 with 1975 viewspencoedjack

Grimes on 17:15 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Think they would, were supposedly offering him around in the summer trying to shift his £50k/week wages. Our budget stretch that far?

Still pig sick we faffed about pre Euro 16 in not signing him.

Still think it was Jenkins biggest mistake.
Grimes on 17:56 - Aug 18 with 1955 viewskrunchykarrot

Grimes on 17:16 - Aug 18 by ploppy

Well, he's either a defensive midfielder or a playmaker. Some on here seem to think he's a playmaker. If he's a defensive midfielder he should do what defensive midfielders do and not get involved in anything else. To start with, we should stop him receiving the ball from the goalkeeper. It's becoming painful to watch - when we start building attacks everyone is looking for Grimes, as if we can't move forward without him "dictating play" - and by that I mean "slowing it down to walking pace to allow the opposition to get back in shape".

"when we start building attacks everyone is looking for Grimes, as if we can't move forward without him "dictating play" - and by that I mean "slowing it down to walking pace to allow the opposition to get back in shape".
That is our problem at the moment transitioning, but it is obvious to me that we ars attempting to move it faster and are struggling. The ammount of times Benda was trying to offloasd quickly is evidence of that. Bidwell and Lati are not good enough to play in wing back position Lowe is struggling so even when we get out we get snookered. So we might see changes to players with youngsters or loanees added to staff.
Grimes on 18:11 - Aug 18 with 1937 viewsmonmouth

Grimes on 17:45 - Aug 18 by pencoedjack

Still pig sick we faffed about pre Euro 16 in not signing him.

Still think it was Jenkins biggest mistake.

Junky turned down Rodgers as manager and we ended up with Bradley, then Clement then Clownvahal. He also appointed Monk after sacking Laudrup. Resigned Ayew and Bony. Spent the Gylfi money on Clucas and Other assorted liquorice.

Allen was a mere footnote.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Grimes on 19:26 - Aug 18 with 1869 viewsjasper_T

Grimes on 17:16 - Aug 18 by ploppy

It been a problem for us for a couple of years that no one else in midfield goes looking for the ball. Grimes receives the amount of stick as he does because it's been on him to do everything - he's the screen for the midfield and the primary dictator of our possession play. He's then expected to score and assist regularly too.

Fulton and Smith hide. Hourihane's legs couldn't keep up with the game. Downes, Walsh and Williams have all looked promising in their ability to get on the ball and use it effectively. It's very easy to pen us in when there's nowhere for our defenders to play a pass other than Grimes or back to the goalkeeper.

Would be nice if the wingbacks weren't out of sight down the other end of the pitch. Can't play effective possession football without options for the player on the ball.
Grimes on 19:35 - Aug 18 with 1855 viewspencoedjack

Grimes on 18:11 - Aug 18 by monmouth

Junky turned down Rodgers as manager and we ended up with Bradley, then Clement then Clownvahal. He also appointed Monk after sacking Laudrup. Resigned Ayew and Bony. Spent the Gylfi money on Clucas and Other assorted liquorice.

Allen was a mere footnote.

As has been highlighted in other threads football is all about opinions, Joe Allen was a no brainer signing at the time for 6/7 million pre euros.

Would of slotted into our midfield & we wouldn’t of needed to sign garbage like Clucas , would of been our captain & heartbeat of our midfield.

So I’ll stick to my opinion 👍
Grimes on 19:41 - Aug 18 with 1853 viewsploppy

Grimes on 19:26 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

It been a problem for us for a couple of years that no one else in midfield goes looking for the ball. Grimes receives the amount of stick as he does because it's been on him to do everything - he's the screen for the midfield and the primary dictator of our possession play. He's then expected to score and assist regularly too.

Fulton and Smith hide. Hourihane's legs couldn't keep up with the game. Downes, Walsh and Williams have all looked promising in their ability to get on the ball and use it effectively. It's very easy to pen us in when there's nowhere for our defenders to play a pass other than Grimes or back to the goalkeeper.

Would be nice if the wingbacks weren't out of sight down the other end of the pitch. Can't play effective possession football without options for the player on the ball.

Can't disagree with most of that. I would say Fulton is better than he used to be i.e. he doesn't hide as much these days. And there's no reason for him to hide anyway because he's possibly the best passer of the ball in the whole squad. Hourihane - well, nuff said. Walsh, from the few clips I've seen, looks a proper two-footed midfielder. I can't really defend Grimes though. He's captain - if people aren't showing for him, he should be bollocking them, but he never says a word. And his one-footedness is a major hindrance to someone who wants to dictate play from deep.
Grimes on 20:02 - Aug 18 with 1831 viewsonehunglow

Grimes on 19:35 - Aug 18 by pencoedjack

As has been highlighted in other threads football is all about opinions, Joe Allen was a no brainer signing at the time for 6/7 million pre euros.

Would of slotted into our midfield & we wouldn’t of needed to sign garbage like Clucas , would of been our captain & heartbeat of our midfield.

So I’ll stick to my opinion 👍

As you should.,as we all should.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Grimes on 20:05 - Aug 18 with 1830 viewsjasper_T

Grimes on 19:41 - Aug 18 by ploppy

Can't disagree with most of that. I would say Fulton is better than he used to be i.e. he doesn't hide as much these days. And there's no reason for him to hide anyway because he's possibly the best passer of the ball in the whole squad. Hourihane - well, nuff said. Walsh, from the few clips I've seen, looks a proper two-footed midfielder. I can't really defend Grimes though. He's captain - if people aren't showing for him, he should be bollocking them, but he never says a word. And his one-footedness is a major hindrance to someone who wants to dictate play from deep.

Fulton is just as one-footed as Grimes. He's like Routledge - got a right foot and the outside of his right foot.
Grimes on 20:07 - Aug 18 with 1820 viewsonehunglow

Grimes on 20:05 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Fulton is just as one-footed as Grimes. He's like Routledge - got a right foot and the outside of his right foot.

Jay does at least move the ball forward and will get stuck in.

Grimes on 20:30 - Aug 18 with 1787 viewsjasper_T

Grimes on 20:07 - Aug 18 by onehunglow

Jay does at least move the ball forward and will get stuck in.

Last season he averaged 27 passes per game compared to Grimes 55 (Potter's season this was 24 vs 70). Less goals, less assists. Worse pass accuracy than Cabango (71.5%). I'm sure he'd get more criticism if he was more involved in games. Like Smith he ends up "never letting us down". Out of sight out of mind, innit.
Grimes on 20:32 - Aug 18 with 1784 viewsdobjack2

Grimes on 19:26 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Agree. Until other players have the bottle to show for the ball or work to make themselves available we’ll have problems against organised sides. It takes time to sort that out on the training ground so that we don’t get mugged on the ball.

What’s the option? hoofing it up the field and having it come straight back again?

Martin should be starting to see which are the round pegs, which are the square pegs and which of the square pegs have the potential to be round pegs. He hasn’t had a preseason to do this and is finding out in competitive games.

The rest of the transfer window is crucial as will be the work on the training ground.
Grimes on 20:34 - Aug 18 with 1782 viewsonehunglow

Grimes on 20:30 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Last season he averaged 27 passes per game compared to Grimes 55 (Potter's season this was 24 vs 70). Less goals, less assists. Worse pass accuracy than Cabango (71.5%). I'm sure he'd get more criticism if he was more involved in games. Like Smith he ends up "never letting us down". Out of sight out of mind, innit.

Grime passes.!
Here' s some stats for you. Not one corner he took bothered anyone at all.Not one meaningful forward pass.No words of inspiration for his team mates.
He is now taking over the mantle of most overated player we've had. He even passes Mark Gower and Woody.
I 'll leave it there.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 20:37]

Grimes on 20:55 - Aug 18 with 1745 viewsploppy

Grimes on 20:30 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Fewer goals, fewer assists. Just saying.

And Grimes's passing stats are not a surprise seeing as everything seems to have to go through him. He does naff all with them mind.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 20:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024