Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... 07:45 - Aug 27 with 9491 viewsdale1968

As we celebrate 100 Years of FL Membership as Dale fans we have witnessed lots of things both good and bad supporting our beloved club.
So what are your 3 Favourite Dale Memories?
Heres Mine

1)Taking the P out of Andy Dibble at Wrexham When we beat them 5-2.
2) Ben Muirheads Pen Kick in the PO Semi.
3)Gary Jones Screamer at Southampton.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 06:25 - Aug 31 with 1832 viewsHealeyDale

1. The Northampton promotion game in 2010 - at 58 I’m too young to remember the previous promotion
2. Joe Thompson goal v Charlton and the LONG wait at the end of the game
3. Ian Henderson’s volley/chip goal v Leeds - we owned them in that second half!
Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 13:50 - Aug 31 with 1668 viewspnc4eva1

1. Chris O'Grady scoring against Northampton and the final whistle. I was still drunk the day.
2. Stockport away 7-2 win.
3. Sending my brother in law a moon pig birthday card of the table after Joey T had sent his beloved biffos down

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 10:42 - Sep 2 with 1491 viewssamueloneils

Further to Billy Rudd`s thoughts on his Dale "removal", he was one of the main reasons for the promotion together with Vinny Leech in midfield.

It was Len Richley the manager who got them promoted. Dick Connor was his assistant. In November 1969 they were top of Division 3 after 18 games, and had this astonishing record.

Home P9 W6 D1 L2
Away P9 W6 D2 L1

and had scored 40 goals.

For reasons unknown they sacked Richley in February 1970 and replaced them with Connor who gradually took them down the table to finish 9th.

I have never seen a Rochdale table like that since.

I can`t turn up an archive from the Observer but I know they went top on a Tuesday night.
Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 12:05 - Sep 2 with 1436 viewspioneer

Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 10:42 - Sep 2 by samueloneils

Further to Billy Rudd`s thoughts on his Dale "removal", he was one of the main reasons for the promotion together with Vinny Leech in midfield.

It was Len Richley the manager who got them promoted. Dick Connor was his assistant. In November 1969 they were top of Division 3 after 18 games, and had this astonishing record.

Home P9 W6 D1 L2
Away P9 W6 D2 L1

and had scored 40 goals.

For reasons unknown they sacked Richley in February 1970 and replaced them with Connor who gradually took them down the table to finish 9th.

I have never seen a Rochdale table like that since.

I can`t turn up an archive from the Observer but I know they went top on a Tuesday night.

Richley resigned, he was not sacked.

Dale had just lost Vinny Leech to a career ending injury and were on a 7 game winless streak. Richley resigned, Connor won 2 and drew 1 of his first three games in charge, including an outstanding 3-0 midweek victory at Valley Parade before injuriy to Big Reg out for 6 games followed next game by Tony Bucks broken leg .

Buck and Jenkins had scored 30 goals between them in the first 29 games prior to their injuries.

Those three injuries to key players cost us a chance at promotion, not the managerial change.
Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 13:03 - Sep 2 with 1383 viewsD_Alien

Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 12:05 - Sep 2 by pioneer

Richley resigned, he was not sacked.

Dale had just lost Vinny Leech to a career ending injury and were on a 7 game winless streak. Richley resigned, Connor won 2 and drew 1 of his first three games in charge, including an outstanding 3-0 midweek victory at Valley Parade before injuriy to Big Reg out for 6 games followed next game by Tony Bucks broken leg .

Buck and Jenkins had scored 30 goals between them in the first 29 games prior to their injuries.

Those three injuries to key players cost us a chance at promotion, not the managerial change.

That's about right, and it'd be re-writing history for anyone to claim we didn't give a second promotion our best shot through lack of ambition

After a shaky start, we went on a run that took us top before other teams got wiser to us, leading to a reduced points haul until Richley left

We were still contenders but the injuries you've itemised knocked the stuffing out of us (particularly Buck's) and no management team could've planned for that

"Spending another £20,000" doesn't take that into account. Even if we'd brought in players they'd have taken time to settle and the cutting edge had been lost

It was still a great season, and a couple of years later we were challenging at the top of the table again, only to falter once more

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 21:09 - Sep 2 with 1218 viewsEllDale

That was a great win at Valley Parade. The original game a few weeks previously had been abandoned at halftime due to thick fog and no-one expected that result in the rearranged Wednesday night fixture.
Like you say, losing both Jenkins and Buck was a hammer blow.
Dale had gone to the top of the league one Monday night around November I think by beating Mansfield 2-1 at Spotland with a late winner via a Billy Rudd header. Thousands poured over to Halifax the following Saturday only to see them lose 3-1.
From memory Leech had been out earlier in the season but had come back into the side for a tremendous 3-0 win at Bournemouth which a sparked a good run of results.
Once he suffered a reoccurrence of the knee injury which finished his career things seemed to change.
Like you say, teams began to suss us out as well.
Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 10:38 - Sep 3 with 1097 viewspioneer

Your 3 Favourite Dale Memories... on 21:09 - Sep 2 by EllDale

That was a great win at Valley Parade. The original game a few weeks previously had been abandoned at halftime due to thick fog and no-one expected that result in the rearranged Wednesday night fixture.
Like you say, losing both Jenkins and Buck was a hammer blow.
Dale had gone to the top of the league one Monday night around November I think by beating Mansfield 2-1 at Spotland with a late winner via a Billy Rudd header. Thousands poured over to Halifax the following Saturday only to see them lose 3-1.
From memory Leech had been out earlier in the season but had come back into the side for a tremendous 3-0 win at Bournemouth which a sparked a good run of results.
Once he suffered a reoccurrence of the knee injury which finished his career things seemed to change.
Like you say, teams began to suss us out as well.

We ended up 9th our highest league position since reorganisation into divisions three and four having won 18 and lost 18 games. We finally bettered that in 2014-5 when we finished 8th winning 19 and losing 21. Prior to 1969-70 our best post reorganisation finish was 24th in division 3 in 1957-8 having won 8 and lost 26.

SO SINCE THE 1957 reorganisation of bottom two divisions none of our best best final position records have involved a winning season. Very strange.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024