Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! 08:35 - Oct 31 with 8854 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56144/russell-martin-‘

Haynesy’s hairdryer click above
Subscribe to us on Twitter below

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:41 - Oct 31 with 594 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:29 - Oct 31 by Treforys_Jack

Agreed , club is a basket case, but maybe Cooper thought the only way is up with Forest, whereas we were on the slide without Ayew. Still think he was placed on gardening leave by the club.

Yea quite possible. Although when he left his job with us, there was no vacancy at forest.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:50 - Oct 31 with 590 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:25 - Oct 31 by Chief

What were these unrealistic demands you speak of? If he didn't like that the demands weren't granted he could have walked away Scott free. He didn't.

Demands or not the club however could have sacked him which would result in pay off or keep on getting paid, which is what actually happened.

Compensation that they couldn't know would come. After all, why an apparent coward like Cooper take a challenge at a troubled relegation threatened club like Forest?

If he walked then he has no pay off... Doesnt even get paid as he was and ultimately that compo fee is in place still and Swansea hold him for 12 months without paying anything.

Club sacked him then they waive the right for any compensation.

Taking over at a basket case club in Forest, mid table would be seen as a massive achievement plus taking their poor start into consideration, always a gamble but it seemed like a safe gamble for Cooper.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:53 - Oct 31 with 588 viewsTreforys_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:41 - Oct 31 by Chief

Yea quite possible. Although when he left his job with us, there was no vacancy at forest.

Yes, I didnt mean he left us to join Forest, just waiting to see what came up. He was linked with a lot of vacancies.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:55 - Oct 31 with 587 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:41 - Oct 31 by Chief

That was his gamble but he was still getting a weekly wage and his reputation was intact.

He knew he was going to get a job, be it 1 month or 1year. The fact that he had 1yr left on his contract but did not see it out and stayed for a couple of weeks even after it was agreed he was going, these are things that need to be brought out to give certain people the facts they require?
It never will though 🤔

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:05 - Oct 31 with 567 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:50 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

If he walked then he has no pay off... Doesnt even get paid as he was and ultimately that compo fee is in place still and Swansea hold him for 12 months without paying anything.

Club sacked him then they waive the right for any compensation.

Taking over at a basket case club in Forest, mid table would be seen as a massive achievement plus taking their poor start into consideration, always a gamble but it seemed like a safe gamble for Cooper.

Paragraph 1 - yes that's how I see it, if 'he doesn't fancy it' he walks away with no payments.

Paragraph 2 - yes if the club decide to sack him he gets payment (which he did).

Paragraph 3 - yes taking a basket case job suggests Cooper isn't a coward.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:12 - Oct 31 with 558 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:05 - Oct 31 by Chief

Paragraph 1 - yes that's how I see it, if 'he doesn't fancy it' he walks away with no payments.

Paragraph 2 - yes if the club decide to sack him he gets payment (which he did).

So responding to each of my paragraph to your views on it all, clearly we have varying opinions and I take your points on board.

Ultimately there is a reason behind why he went, some will summise, some will guess... Some even know what happened. 🤷‍♂️

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:12 - Oct 31 with 558 viewsTreforys_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:05 - Oct 31 by Chief

Very little risk taking on Forest.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:14 - Oct 31 with 555 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:12 - Oct 31 by Treforys_Jack

He would have been asked to save them from a relegation scrap when taking over, looking at the squad.... I can see why he took it.

I would expect the Steve Cooper show will take another twist come the end of this season.

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:17 - Oct 31 with 542 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:12 - Oct 31 by Treforys_Jack

To go to a club that has had 19 managers in 10 years is not a risk?

It’s the riskiest job in the league, bar none.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:21 - Oct 31 with 537 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:17 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

To go to a club that has had 19 managers in 10 years is not a risk?

It’s the riskiest job in the league, bar none.

Yes there’s a huge risk you might get a multi million pound pay out for doing six months work.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:25 - Oct 31 with 525 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:21 - Oct 31 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Yes there’s a huge risk you might get a multi million pound pay out for doing six months work.

It’s the one club in the Championship above all in which there is no messing around, if you don’t deliver then you are out.

It’s a conveyor belt of managers. To take that job you have to have great confidence in your ability, which it appears Cooper does and Forest are reaping the rewards.

Not sure why that’s so hard for people to admit. He’s completely turned them around. Fair play to him.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:36 - Oct 31 with 522 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:25 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s the one club in the Championship above all in which there is no messing around, if you don’t deliver then you are out.

It’s a conveyor belt of managers. To take that job you have to have great confidence in your ability, which it appears Cooper does and Forest are reaping the rewards.

Not sure why that’s so hard for people to admit. He’s completely turned them around. Fair play to him.

As has Martin after fans said to give him time as the original post indicates..... His style his plan.

Fair play to Martin alone with no if's or buts needed.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:37 - Oct 31 with 521 viewsDJack

Good article. Thank you.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:38 - Oct 31 with 521 viewsDJack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:09 - Oct 31 by ItchySphincter

At the risk of overshadowing the writer’s excellent piece, which is not something I want to do, I am addressing only one point in your post, and that is that Martin has changed tactics - he hasn’t, we’re just getting better at what we do, as he and many others said we would in time. We still play passing football, we still dominate possession. Most of us realised we needed to get the ball forward quicker, but evolution not revolution, some wanted the failed pragmatism and long long ball of Cooperball. Thank God we didn’t get the latter.

Welcome Russ.

This, with bells on.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:39 - Oct 31 with 519 viewsDJack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:26 - Oct 31 by OptimisticJack

Excellent article.
When Russell Martin was first muted as our likely new manager I was excited having looked into his background and philosophies.
He couldn't have had a more difficult start.
The Championship is a punishing league and the first few weeks were difficult with games coming along in quick succession and little time for Martin to impose his ideas on the training ground.
This season for the first time I have welcomed the international breaks knowing it would give Russell Martin more time to work with his players on the training ground.
After each break we have got better and better.
Our football is now lovely on the eye and the icing on the cake are the goals being scored.
I'm enjoying watching us play once again.
It is still work in progress but let's all enjoy the ride.

This looks like the one season where the International break(s) is a boon to the club.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:46 - Oct 31 with 508 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:12 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

So responding to each of my paragraph to your views on it all, clearly we have varying opinions and I take your points on board.

Ultimately there is a reason behind why he went, some will summise, some will guess... Some even know what happened. 🤷‍♂️

Well yes I'm interpreting the facts as I see. The key one being he continued being paid after he was no longer the manager.

Without any other evidence, what other conclusion is there to come to?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:49 - Oct 31 with 498 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:55 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

That was his gamble but he was still getting a weekly wage and his reputation was intact.

He knew he was going to get a job, be it 1 month or 1year. The fact that he had 1yr left on his contract but did not see it out and stayed for a couple of weeks even after it was agreed he was going, these are things that need to be brought out to give certain people the facts they require?
It never will though 🤔

Well it wasn't his gamble. If it was his gamble he'd have walked away with no income waiting for the next job vacancy to come up. We know that didn't happen.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:00 - Oct 31 with 471 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:46 - Oct 31 by Chief

Well yes I'm interpreting the facts as I see. The key one being he continued being paid after he was no longer the manager.

Without any other evidence, what other conclusion is there to come to?

Not to always interpret what you see as fact.

The payment was obviously an agreement between parties, Cooper gets paid and we still get compo that is greater than what we are paying him IF he gets a job in 12 months.... Something that had a very good chance of happening.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to suggest that you are wrong or that it is final especially when you don't know what exactly has happened....until you do and you won't have anything to prove until you do then you can only summise.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:03 - Oct 31 with 464 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 16:49 - Oct 31 by Chief

Well it wasn't his gamble. If it was his gamble he'd have walked away with no income waiting for the next job vacancy to come up. We know that didn't happen.

There was no job to walk straight into so ultimately it was a gamble.....he didn't resign nor were the club willing to sack him but ultimately he wanted out but didn't want to resign, why you should ask yourself!?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:06 - Oct 31 with 455 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:00 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

Not to always interpret what you see as fact.

The payment was obviously an agreement between parties, Cooper gets paid and we still get compo that is greater than what we are paying him IF he gets a job in 12 months.... Something that had a very good chance of happening.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to suggest that you are wrong or that it is final especially when you don't know what exactly has happened....until you do and you won't have anything to prove until you do then you can only summise.

So to simply suggest then that 'Cooper didn't fancy it' is rather disingenuous. Because this masterplan they you claim the club employed also suggests that they also 'didnt fancy it'.

Which of course alludes to him being sacked after all ...

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:09 - Oct 31 with 451 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:03 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

There was no job to walk straight into so ultimately it was a gamble.....he didn't resign nor were the club willing to sack him but ultimately he wanted out but didn't want to resign, why you should ask yourself!?

It would have been gamble if he'd have taken that gamble. The gamble being walking away without receiving an income. We know that didn't happen.

Well I'm not sure he want out. What evidence is there to suggest he did?

We know the intent from the clubs side on this front though. Still getting paid despite ceasing to being the manager.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 17:11]

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:13 - Oct 31 with 448 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:06 - Oct 31 by Chief

So to simply suggest then that 'Cooper didn't fancy it' is rather disingenuous. Because this masterplan they you claim the club employed also suggests that they also 'didnt fancy it'.

Which of course alludes to him being sacked after all ...

You are spectacularly missing the point.

Cooper didn't fancy it but didn't want to quit so he didn't miss out on a financial pillow, the club didn't want him at the club after his demands and didn't want to lose the compensation fee they would and did receive.

Its up to you if you believe me or not but ultimately you can't ask for proof without having your own proof to say I am wrong otherwise its just a contradiction.

If you don't believe me then just say that without declaring something without backing up a claim just because you don't believe me.... That is your choice, not to make unfounded claims that I am lying.

You don't believe me, I suggest we leave it like that.... We don't want another thread closed due to a meltdown like DrP done yesterday....clearly this is how this could go again.

You don't believe me, fair enough and I can take that.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:15 - Oct 31 with 444 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:09 - Oct 31 by Chief

It would have been gamble if he'd have taken that gamble. The gamble being walking away without receiving an income. We know that didn't happen.

Well I'm not sure he want out. What evidence is there to suggest he did?

We know the intent from the clubs side on this front though. Still getting paid despite ceasing to being the manager.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 17:11]

Please read my previous post prior to this.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:30 - Oct 31 with 430 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 15:02 - Oct 31 by Chief

Yea exactly. Keep paying a manager who was linked to other clubs but not hired by them, a manager who apparently didn't fancy the Swansea City challenge, just in case some other club decides to hire him. Laughable.

No, he wasn’t sacked - if that happened they would have had to pay up the rest of his contract in full.
Of course he didn’t fancy it - if he’d been up for it he’d have taken charge of pre season training . He chickened out - was likely in breach of contract so he and the club came up with a compromise- they kept paying his wages but if a club offered him a job they would have to pay compo - as Forest did. He was not sacked, it was a mutual decision designed to dignify both parties. The club did well in my opinion.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:33 - Oct 31 with 424 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 17:13 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

You are spectacularly missing the point.

Cooper didn't fancy it but didn't want to quit so he didn't miss out on a financial pillow, the club didn't want him at the club after his demands and didn't want to lose the compensation fee they would and did receive.

Its up to you if you believe me or not but ultimately you can't ask for proof without having your own proof to say I am wrong otherwise its just a contradiction.

If you don't believe me then just say that without declaring something without backing up a claim just because you don't believe me.... That is your choice, not to make unfounded claims that I am lying.

You don't believe me, I suggest we leave it like that.... We don't want another thread closed due to a meltdown like DrP done yesterday....clearly this is how this could go again.

You don't believe me, fair enough and I can take that.

What are basing any of your second paragraph on though? I can only miss a point if there's one being made backed up by evidence, which I don't think there is. Just your opinion of how events occurred which isn't backed up by any evidence.

How do you know Cooper didn't fancy it, but didn't want to quit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024