Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! 08:35 - Oct 31 with 8855 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56144/russell-martin-‘

Haynesy’s hairdryer click above
Subscribe to us on Twitter below

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:12 - Oct 31 with 711 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:06 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

You said the plan had been well and truly ditched?

<<However, surprising it most certainly isn't and instead entirely expected. Nobody with an ounce of a footballing brain would agree to it, because it clearly will never happen again now the style has changed>>

I did say that, yes. Still will say it now if you ask, because it is correct.

I firmly believe it has changed and the data shows that.

As I said, I think this (yesterday) was a product of us scoring early (from a long ball). We may well utilise it when we go ahead, but our style will be very much a mixed and direct passing approach.

We will use many forms of play depending on match situation. If we are losing with 5 mins left then we may start pumping balls into the box, won’t mean we are a long ball side though.

Yesterday allowed the whole game to be shaped by a goal after 90 seconds from a long ball. I can’t imagine that is going to happen too many times this season, our style will be the direct and mixed one not the 4% long ball game we saw earlier on in the season.

Occasions such as a 90 second goal may allow us to do that temporarily though. And that’s great, more adaptable we can be the better.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:15 - Oct 31 with 713 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:11 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Potter won’t be at Brighton much longer.

What a job the guy is doing there. As expected though.

He will get a bigger job, but that’s where his troubles will start professionally.
BTW folks Corny will be along at midday, strap yourselves in for that one.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:16 - Oct 31 with 700 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:12 - Oct 31 by vetchonian

I think you need to go and check your facts...again...yet more myths.
Between the start of the season and the end of 2020 we actually won 10 out of 25 games played drew 8 and lost 7
I dont understand why folks want to rewrite history and they wonder when I post about what happened as they clearly failed to grasp reality at the time

He was the poster that said we had a poor record under Cooper against the poor teams too yesterday.

I did the calcs, took both seasons results against 20th or lower and it showed championship winning form. 93 point season average or something like that. 3 defeats in 20 and 12 wins.

But back to the thread, as I said in the match day thread…

How universal praise for the team and manager and all round joy of winning, has turned into a witch-hunt in 24 hours is beyond me.

Just bizarre

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:17 - Oct 31 with 707 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:12 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

I did say that, yes. Still will say it now if you ask, because it is correct.

I firmly believe it has changed and the data shows that.

As I said, I think this (yesterday) was a product of us scoring early (from a long ball). We may well utilise it when we go ahead, but our style will be very much a mixed and direct passing approach.

We will use many forms of play depending on match situation. If we are losing with 5 mins left then we may start pumping balls into the box, won’t mean we are a long ball side though.

Yesterday allowed the whole game to be shaped by a goal after 90 seconds from a long ball. I can’t imagine that is going to happen too many times this season, our style will be the direct and mixed one not the 4% long ball game we saw earlier on in the season.

Occasions such as a 90 second goal may allow us to do that temporarily though. And that’s great, more adaptable we can be the better.

So it’s been ditched, but it hasn’t really been ditched, but actually it has been ditched as we are putting yesterday down as an exception as we scored goals doing it.

Ok
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:19 - Oct 31 with 692 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:15 - Oct 31 by KeithHaynes

He will get a bigger job, but that’s where his troubles will start professionally.
BTW folks Corny will be along at midday, strap yourselves in for that one.

Yeah don’t disagree with that, bigger players and bigger personalities, could well find it difficult but he’s earning the chance.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:19 - Oct 31 with 679 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:17 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

So it’s been ditched, but it hasn’t really been ditched, but actually it has been ditched as we are putting yesterday down as an exception as we scored goals doing it.

Ok

Like a nutty old fruitcake

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:22 - Oct 31 with 678 viewsTreforys_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:17 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Ok

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:23 - Oct 31 with 677 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My only complaint yesterday was that the game was over at half time!!!

We were always going to throttle back and there was no chance of Peterborough scoring four.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:23 - Oct 31 with 666 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ok

Yawn.

It has been ditched, that will not be our style of play going forward. We didn’t see it yesterday either if you want to be pedantic about it. The difference between 4% and 6% is 50%.

As I said, we may use a heavily dominant short passing style in select situations, going 1 up from a long ball in 90 seconds against a poor side at home is one such situation. Doesn’t mean that style hasn’t been ditched though.

Easy to understand I thought. Maybe not.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:27 - Oct 31 with 669 viewsTreforys_Jack

It was a good day at the office but RM shouldn't be getting carried away, Peterborough were shockingly bad, but you can only beat what's in front of you. Players getting used to the system, Grimes, Naughton and Bennet were outstanding.
Enjoying the season thus far, all of it
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:30 - Oct 31 with 661 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:23 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Yawn.

It has been ditched, that will not be our style of play going forward. We didn’t see it yesterday either if you want to be pedantic about it. The difference between 4% and 6% is 50%.

As I said, we may use a heavily dominant short passing style in select situations, going 1 up from a long ball in 90 seconds against a poor side at home is one such situation. Doesn’t mean that style hasn’t been ditched though.

Between 4% and 7% was ridiculous. That’s what you said, and that’s what is easy to understand.

Plan A had well and truly ditched, in those words, is what you said, that’s also easy to understand.

3-0 6% also easy to understand.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:31]
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:36 - Oct 31 with 635 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:30 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Between 4% and 7% was ridiculous. That’s what you said, and that’s what is easy to understand.

Plan A had well and truly ditched, in those words, is what you said, that’s also easy to understand.

3-0 6% also easy to understand.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:31]

I did say that, I will say that again if you ask. Because it is.

Do that game after game and we will get battered (well we already have been, as you have seen). That’s not to say it won’t work on occasion.

Smashing the ball to Piroe 80 yards every pass would equally be ridiculous, doesn’t mean it’s impossible to win doing so however. It may work on occasion.

This is why we have changed to a mixed and direct approach where our wins have largely come over and above the 8%,10% and 12%+ marker, and that’s why no doubt they will continue to do so.

Basic. You are very excitable today.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:42]

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:36 - Oct 31 with 643 viewsChief

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:54 - Oct 31 by raynor94

Brilliant post Keith, they need calling out, there's a few for no apparent reason took an instant dislike to Martin.

This could be the start of something exciting

Who is 'they'?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:41 - Oct 31 with 628 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:36 - Oct 31 by Chief

Who is 'they'?

Don’t ask for specifics, myths rely on the general approach.

Whenever someone addresses a fantasy foe in the ether they will make it all very general, while alluding the specific.

That’s because as soon as the specific is named, it falls apart as you can use actual proof.

“The usual suspects” is a favourite. But when you ask for usernames, they never come.

Everyone has been praising Martin, rightly so. But when there is a witch-hunt going on, it’s best to ignore reality.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:41 - Oct 31 with 633 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:36 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

I did say that, I will say that again if you ask. Because it is.

Do that game after game and we will get battered (well we already have been, as you have seen). That’s not to say it won’t work on occasion.

Smashing the ball to Piroe 80 yards every pass would equally be ridiculous, doesn’t mean it’s impossible to win doing so however. It may work on occasion.

This is why we have changed to a mixed and direct approach where our wins have largely come over and above the 8%,10% and 12%+ marker, and that’s why no doubt they will continue to do so.

Basic. You are very excitable today.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:42]

You’ll say it’s been ditched again would you? After saying in the match thread “plan a may work against certain teams” or something along those lines. I can’t keep up with the amount of backtracks.

Another added to an ever growing list.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:44 - Oct 31 with 625 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:23 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Yawn.

There’s a significant difference semantically in football terms between a long ball and a long pass. A Cardiff or a Pulis/Warnock team would be playing the ball from back to front into an area with the goal of a target man winning a flick on or a knock down or a player running the channels to win a throw in etc. That pass to laird might have travelled a distance and with height but you’d never describe that as long ball football.

A player like Pirlo or Scholes might ping passes around like that all day long but you could never accuse them of being a long ball merchant.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:44 - Oct 31 with 624 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:44 - Oct 31 with 615 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:41 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

You’ll say it’s been ditched again would you? After saying in the match thread “plan a may work against certain teams” or something along those lines. I can’t keep up with the amount of backtracks.

Another added to an ever growing list.

I would yes. I would also say the long ball has been ditched, wouldn’t you?

That’s not to say we won’t on occasion use it when the situation calls for it. We still won’t be “a long ball team” though.

So in terms of our style, we have absolutely ditched the 4% long, short passing game. I will be stunned if we see that in the next game.

If we do happen to score in the first minute again against a poor team at home however, we may use it again. But in terms of it being our style game to game - it’s been ditched yes.

It’s already on the growing list of complete common sense observations you pretend to not understand, don’t worry.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:47 - Oct 31 with 611 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:44 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

One of my proudest “pat on the back” goals was that. Cheers for posting.

I said moments before the game. We need to set up against Posh by learning from the “short at all costs” mistakes against Hull… using short passes to move them out of position before a direct long ball to attack them.

A tactic that has seen us score many of our recent goals.

That first goal was that to a tee. Word perfect.

If this was 6 weeks ago, that ball to Laird never gets made.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:55]

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:55 - Oct 31 with 607 viewsThrasher6

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:40 - Oct 31 by Gwyn737

A beautifully written piece. Thank you.

We all have different opinions in football as in life, but I think it’s worth noting that there isn’t a right or wrong way to play football. We will all enjoy different elements.

For me, I’m really enjoying this season. I enjoy football for the emotion, for the hope that’s only possible by having the accompanying lows.

I didn’t enjoy the last two seasons. I was bored. I watched us on the TV with a paper or an iPad next to me reading/surfing.

If you loved it. Good for you. Who am I to tell you what you should like 🤷🏻

Good post.

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:55 - Oct 31 with 605 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:47 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

One of my proudest “pat on the back” goals was that. Cheers for posting.

I said moments before the game. We need to set up against Posh by learning from the “short at all costs” mistakes against Hull… using short passes to move them out of position before a direct long ball to attack them.

A tactic that has seen us score many of our recent goals.

That first goal was that to a tee. Word perfect.

If this was 6 weeks ago, that ball to Laird never gets made.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:55]

Course it does, if it’s on. Pull people out of position with short crisp passing, 94% of them yesterday and 780 “plan A” and strike.

Outstanding stuff.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:59 - Oct 31 with 588 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:55 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Course it does, if it’s on. Pull people out of position with short crisp passing, 94% of them yesterday and 780 “plan A” and strike.

Outstanding stuff.

Nope, it doesn’t and wasn’t made when it was on countless times before. It was noted by many people back then that our refusal to look long when the ball is on is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Always fantastic to get the first win for plan A, 15 games in. But thankfully 1 in 15 games will not be the strike rate as we will without doubt go into the next match back to the much changed mixed and direct style that has seen much of our success recently.

Outstanding.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 12:15 - Oct 31 with 575 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:27 - Oct 31 by Treforys_Jack

It was a good day at the office but RM shouldn't be getting carried away, Peterborough were shockingly bad, but you can only beat what's in front of you. Players getting used to the system, Grimes, Naughton and Bennet were outstanding.
Enjoying the season thus far, all of it

This.
We had just lost the previous game to Birmingham.
Yes it is getting better, but talk about getting carried away.
But Peterborough were pretty woeful as they have been in many games this season.
They have had 3 put past them 4 times, 3 times away and once at home this season and Shefield United put 6 past them.

When we can play like that with wins against the top 10 sides is the time we will know it is really working.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 12:15]
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 13:14 - Oct 31 with 530 viewsBillyChong

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:11 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Potter won’t be at Brighton much longer.

What a job the guy is doing there. As expected though.

Correct. A coaching masterpiece at Anfield yesterday with a false 9 and players switching roles across the pitch. He may not have the charm and words of media darlings like Brendan, or a trendy foreign name, but I think that’ll work in his favour should he get a bigger job.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 13:29 - Oct 31 with 512 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 13:14 - Oct 31 by BillyChong

Correct. A coaching masterpiece at Anfield yesterday with a false 9 and players switching roles across the pitch. He may not have the charm and words of media darlings like Brendan, or a trendy foreign name, but I think that’ll work in his favour should he get a bigger job.

He’s doing well this season. But will need more than a single good season to land a top job in my opinion, especially after what they have spent.

He will need to finish well and then back it up for him to be a real genuine contender.

- 10th Championship, with our best ever Championship squad and our highest ever football league spend.

- 15th followed by 16th Premier League, scraping 40 points after spending £95m on players.

- 7th this season after spending another £50m taking the total to £145m in 3 seasons.

This season they are performing as they should do and beyond, considering the investment (top 10 spenders over the last 5 seasons). All previous seasons in England he has performed below what he should have achieved in my opinion.

So he needs some successive successes now in order to push his career on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024