Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes, and out 16:58 - Nov 27 with 8566 viewsAndyCole

A waste of a midfield slot behind Grimes

We are so too defensive with Downes anchoring Grimes.

In the 94rd minute today he was our last man defender, wtf.

He had moments previously flunked his lines in a 'Back 4 ', gifting Reading a corner in the dying minutes.

Yet some on here have wanted him to replace our very Best player, captain and leader. Grimesy. Twp as.

[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 16:59]

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Downes, and out on 22:44 - Jan 12 with 1320 viewsAndyCole

Downs captain, and out of the FA cup under his stewardship.

We were all at sea against the 11 men of Southampton, and instead of steadying the ship Downs was playing a hybrid CDM/CB. He had no hand on the tiller, we were sinking.

When Grimes came on we wrested control, with Downs despatched out of midfield for simple, defensive duties only.

I hope Downs has been watching the Chelsea two in midfield. this evening.

They always cleverly make themselves available and more importantly their distribution is to somebody in an advanced space. They don't look for the ball played immediately back to them. Not in the slightest.

Downs predominantly gives the too simple pass to the nearest player - and immediately demands it back. So old school and regressive. Downs needs to play with his head up and think at least two steps ahead.

So instead of playing it simple, head bowed, right palm open down by his knees demanding the ball back for no purpose, for goodness sake play heads up football. This is such a basic, schoolboy error. And hinders our go forward.

The fella clearly has some talent. Let's hope he gets the right coaching to fulfil his undoubted physical attributes.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Downes, and out on 22:52 - Jan 12 with 1291 viewsWhiterockin

Downes, and out on 22:44 - Jan 12 by AndyCole

We were all at sea against the 11 men of Southampton, and instead of steadying the ship Downs was playing a hybrid CDM/CB. He had no hand on the tiller, we were sinking.

When Grimes came on we wrested control, with Downs despatched out of midfield for simple, defensive duties only.

They always cleverly make themselves available and more importantly their distribution is to somebody in an advanced space. They don't look for the ball played immediately back to them. Not in the slightest.

Downs predominantly gives the too simple pass to the nearest player - and immediately demands it back. So old school and regressive. Downs needs to play with his head up and think at least two steps ahead.

So instead of playing it simple, head bowed, right palm open down by his knees demanding the ball back for no purpose, for goodness sake play heads up football. This is such a basic, schoolboy error. And hinders our go forward.

The fella clearly has some talent. Let's hope he gets the right coaching to fulfil his undoubted physical attributes.

Downs predominantly gives the too simple pass to the nearest player - and immediately demands it back. So old school and regressive.

Seems to me very much as Leon used to play and vital in tight situations.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Downes, and out on 23:04 - Jan 12 with 1271 viewsOptimisticJack

Downes, and out on 22:52 - Jan 12 by Whiterockin

Downs predominantly gives the too simple pass to the nearest player - and immediately demands it back. So old school and regressive.

I see so much of Leon in Flynn Downes.
Cleans up in the middle so effectively.
We will have difficulty hanging on to this lad.
Every team needs one.

Optimisticjack

Downes, and out on 23:04 - Jan 12 with 1271 viewsAndyCole

Downes, and out on 22:52 - Jan 12 by Whiterockin

Leon was the epitome of heads up football, thinking at least three steps ahead.

Downs needs to learn to look up and think ahead. Simplz.

If he does this, keeps learning off Grimesy, watches the Leon videos, watches the Chelsea tape from this eve, learns to be proactive, thinks before he reacts and lunges and gets yellow cards, plays forward heads up football, instead of too simplistic give 'n take heads down unintelligent football, he has a chance.

5/10 at best for what we need in that space right now. No wonder the recruitment team are looking for further options in an already packed midfield.

Downes, and out on 23:07 - Jan 12 with 1270 viewsOptimisticJack

Downes, and out on 23:04 - Jan 12 by AndyCole

If he does this, keeps learning off Grimesy, watches the Leon videos, watches the Chelsea tape from this eve, learns to be proactive, thinks before he reacts and lunges and gets yellow cards, plays forward heads up football, instead of too simplistic give 'n take heads down unintelligent football, he has a chance.

5/10 at best for what we need in that space right now. No wonder the recruitment team are looking for further options in an already packed midfield.

Bow to your better judgement

Optimisticjack

Downes, and out on 23:18 - Jan 12 with 1251 viewsWhiterockin

No wonder the recruitment team are looking for further options in an already packed midfield.

Not to replace Downes though.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Downes, and out on 07:06 - Jan 13 with 1190 viewsChief

Downes, and out on 22:44 - Jan 12 by AndyCole

Do you realise you're spelling his name wrong?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Downes, and out on 07:32 - Jan 13 with 1172 viewsmagicdaps10

Maybe it's just me but I think Downes has been excellent and think he is only going to improve.

I think once we get the defenders in we need then Downes will then be used 100% as a central midfielder, Grimes was excellent against Soton and hopefully can push on from that. A midfield of Grimes, Downes and Ntcham is an exciting prospect.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Login to get fewer ads

Downes, and out on 08:17 - Jan 13 with 1124 viewsThornburyswan

Downes, and out on 23:04 - Jan 12 by OptimisticJack

I see so much of Leon in Flynn Downes.
Cleans up in the middle so effectively.
We will have difficulty hanging on to this lad.
Every team needs one.

Agree completely, clearly still learning & building his confidence with his colleagues - early days but very Leonesque for me too - mobile, good first touch, plays head up & decent short passer.

Yes still needs the confidence to play the move opening pass that creates regular chances & release our players into the final third but if he’s a 5/10 then we have a squad full of 2s & 3s!
Downes, and out on 09:23 - Jan 13 with 1078 viewsGixerJack

Downes, and out on 07:32 - Jan 13 by magicdaps10

Maybe it's just me but I think Downes has been excellent and think he is only going to improve.

I think once we get the defenders in we need then Downes will then be used 100% as a central midfielder, Grimes was excellent against Soton and hopefully can push on from that. A midfield of Grimes, Downes and Ntcham is an exciting prospect.

No, you’re not the only one
Downes, and out on 11:03 - Jan 13 with 1007 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 07:32 - Jan 13 by magicdaps10

The “only one” out of step on here is Andy on the dole. Grimes offers nowhere near what Downes gives and BBCWales feckwits aside he was man of the match.

Andy is just a WUM who will probably claimed to have been a player at a high level who sees the “unseen” things Grimes does.

I see a player who has zero leadership qualities , a lack of desire, a lack of ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck , someone who plays safe with a short backwards or sideways pass 95 percent of the time and who will no endeavour to make up for his own mistakes to help out his team mates. Most overrated footballer we’ve ever signed (in relation to the amount of smoke being blown up his arris by fickwots.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Downes, and out on 11:05 - Jan 13 with 995 viewsonehunglow

Downes, and out on 11:03 - Jan 13 by Brynmill_Jack

The “only one” out of step on here is Andy on the dole. Grimes offers nowhere near what Downes gives and BBCWales feckwits aside he was man of the match.

Andy is just a WUM who will probably claimed to have been a player at a high level who sees the “unseen” things Grimes does.

I see a player who has zero leadership qualities , a lack of desire, a lack of ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck , someone who plays safe with a short backwards or sideways pass 95 percent of the time and who will no endeavour to make up for his own mistakes to help out his team mates. Most overrated footballer we’ve ever signed (in relation to the amount of smoke being blown up his arris by fickwots.

Downes is being destroyed by Russ. Grimes has had a charmed life .

Downes is a stand out captain for any coach with a brain.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Downes, and out on 11:41 - Jan 13 with 978 viewsandypitt56

Against southampton, i though downes was the best player on the pitch. Also thought grimes and ntcham made a hell of a difference when they came on. so much more quality on the ball.
Downes, and out on 11:44 - Jan 13 with 975 viewsKeithHaynes

Downes, and out on 11:41 - Jan 13 by andypitt56

Against southampton, i though downes was the best player on the pitch. Also thought grimes and ntcham made a hell of a difference when they came on. so much more quality on the ball.

I think he is a wonderful signing for the swans.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Downes, and out on 12:02 - Jan 13 with 958 viewsmagicdaps10

How much did the club pay for him, 1.5M?

Given his age, performances.... You could argue its already money well spent as he would commant atleast 5M.

Absolute class player, showing it just 4 and a half months into his time here and let's not forget not far off his 23rd birthday.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Downes, and out on 12:58 - Jan 13 with 914 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 12:02 - Jan 13 by magicdaps10

How much did the club pay for him, 1.5M?

Given his age, performances.... You could argue its already money well spent as he would commant atleast 5M.

Absolute class player, showing it just 4 and a half months into his time here and let's not forget not far off his 23rd birthday.

Showing real leadership qualities at a very young age. A brilliant signing

Downes, and out on 13:04 - Jan 13 with 906 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Downes, and out on 11:03 - Jan 13 by Brynmill_Jack

All these qualities he’s lacking he showed in his breakout season under Potter - or that’s how I remember it at least (maybe he just exceeded expectations that season)

If we could have that seasons grimes alongside Downes you’d be hard pushed to match that midfield in this league

Feel free to tell me if I’m remembering things through rose tinted glasses

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Downes, and out on 19:16 - Jan 13 with 821 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 13:04 - Jan 13 by PatchesOHoulihan

All these qualities he’s lacking he showed in his breakout season under Potter - or that’s how I remember it at least (maybe he just exceeded expectations that season)

If we could have that seasons grimes alongside Downes you’d be hard pushed to match that midfield in this league

Feel free to tell me if I’m remembering things through rose tinted glasses

I can’t remember him having a big enough impact even then. He’s going on 27 now, should be at his peak and the “new Glen Hoddle” tag seems further away than ever. I wanted it so much to work but he hasn’t had anywhere near the impact I was hoping for.

Downes, and out on 19:08 - Jan 14 with 736 viewsCatullus

Downes, and out on 07:06 - Jan 13 by Chief

Do you realise you're spelling his name wrong?

He'll be spelling it wrong i capital letters now to make a point. There is zero point but he'll think there is.

Downes was one of our best players against Southampton. Only a complete mug would say otherwise.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Downes, and out on 21:24 - Jan 14 with 707 viewsAndyCole

And still nobody here has refuted my assertions above, that Downes is currently limiting our go-fwd, stymying our progressive possession based Martin model, Version 1.0.

We pass it with no purpose, back and forth, sideways and back - when Downes is in the mid-pivot.

When Grimesy replaced him against the Saints, the contrast was vivid. He played heads-up, go-fwd football. We were instantly transformed. My 14 yr old daughter could see it. Which ofc puts some of the alleged grown ups on here in their place.

Don't get me wrong, Downes has potential. Looks silky on the ball and appeases the average follower with his last ditch lunging, gettin stuck in quality. Yet he has much much more to give. A day with Leon would help massively. And a day or two on the tapes I suggested would be the catalyst to a proper transformation.

Let's hope Russ continues to pop in to this, the very best Swans fans forum, with proper credible grown up analysis.

Downes, and out on 21:26 - Jan 14 with 697 viewsChief

Downes, and out on 19:08 - Jan 14 by Catullus

He'll be spelling it wrong i capital letters now to make a point. There is zero point but he'll think there is.

Downes was one of our best players against Southampton. Only a complete mug would say otherwise.

Well I see Andy has taken my promoting on board and is now spelling Downes' name correctly. Honest error it was hopefully.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Downes, and out on 11:20 - Jan 15 with 642 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 21:26 - Jan 14 by Chief

Well I see Andy has taken my promoting on board and is now spelling Downes' name correctly. Honest error it was hopefully.

I would hope it would be unthinkable, as hateful as he is to Downes that he was inferring anything else. Such posters have no place on this or any other board.

Downes, and out on 12:29 - Jan 15 with 620 viewsmax936

Leon took time to learn his trade, plus he had some decent players around him that could read his game and Leon theirs, Leon was probably one of the best if not the best readers of the game I've seen in a Swans shirt, very tough act to follow.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Downes, and out on 12:51 - Jan 15 with 618 viewsmax936

Downes, and out on 19:16 - Jan 13 by Brynmill_Jack

I can’t remember him having a big enough impact even then. He’s going on 27 now, should be at his peak and the “new Glen Hoddle” tag seems further away than ever. I wanted it so much to work but he hasn’t had anywhere near the impact I was hoping for.

He didn't get many if any chances in the EPL, there was a reason for that, managers never saw a lot in him to come close to what we had in the squads we had.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Downes, and out on 16:39 - Jan 15 with 568 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024