Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report 16:51 - Apr 24 with 6422 viewsNorthernr

Big thanks to Lee for filling in for my absence yesterday.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57649
Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 18:17 - Apr 25 with 1198 viewsNorthernr

Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 18:14 - Apr 25 by ParkRoyalR

I agree, although think the above two examples might be two we could explain, in that Dieng's absence throughout March & April could explain set-piece numbers declining and the coaching team needing to fix the Derby & Peterborough away game run of goals conceded route 1 straight down the middle of our 3,

The real baffler for me is the over-emphasis on sports science as to who is fit and who should be rested, when I have clearly seen Chair come out early after Half Time to try and run-off a really heavy knock (game at HQ can't recall which, but he ran lame for the whole of the 2nd Half and missed an easy header in 6 yard box as just could'nt jump off standing foot), Willock doing likewise at home to Cardiff etc,

Maybe the answer is that Warburton realised like most of us did that he had a starting 11 that when fit was greater than the some of its parts and the options off the bench seriously weakened the team, maybe not, not sure, just does seem a bit strange how some players form (Dickie, SJ, Dykes) has seriously dropped-off when they are supposedly 100% fit to play.

But this is my point, the drop off is so extreme, and in so many different places, it's weird, and it makes me think there's more to it.

On the set pieces, let's say we were fifth or sixth best in the league for defending them, and we've gone to the fifth or sixth worst, then you can maybe say 'well look they've been missing a very influential goalkeeper there'. But we haven't, we've gone from the best, to the worst. We've gone from conceding from a set piece once every ten matches, to conceding from one every other time we take the field.

And there's loads of examples like that. It's more than just a loss of form, loss of confidence, injuries. It's just a total collapse and disintegration of literally every single good thing about us.
Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 19:14 - Apr 25 with 1085 viewsParkRoyalR

Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 18:17 - Apr 25 by Northernr

But this is my point, the drop off is so extreme, and in so many different places, it's weird, and it makes me think there's more to it.

On the set pieces, let's say we were fifth or sixth best in the league for defending them, and we've gone to the fifth or sixth worst, then you can maybe say 'well look they've been missing a very influential goalkeeper there'. But we haven't, we've gone from the best, to the worst. We've gone from conceding from a set piece once every ten matches, to conceding from one every other time we take the field.

And there's loads of examples like that. It's more than just a loss of form, loss of confidence, injuries. It's just a total collapse and disintegration of literally every single good thing about us.

Agree, but in the same way Eze largely carried the attacking threat of our team two seasons ago, could the loss of fitness of our creative midfielder (SJ) our most creative attacker (Willock) and our role-playing GK (Dieng), together with ongoing injuries to our wing-backs not explain this demise?

Willock was performing at Eze levels in January and single-handedly pulled wins out of draws, had he stayed fit, we would have made top 6 imo.
Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 20:14 - Apr 25 with 1018 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 17:47 - Apr 25 by stevec

Not sure I agree about Dickie. He hadn’t looked particularly happy as the season progressed, maybe felt usurped by the emergence of Dunne at CB, but apart from the early Bournemouth incident and his encounters with Mitrovic, I can barely think of something he did wrong. For seasons we’ve been vulnerable down that side but it’s been a lot better this year and feel that’s largely been down to him.

It’s interesting to read this thread in conjunction with those who hadn’t given up. Notably, Chair, Field and Dunne. Coincidentally, of those still physically fit to play, would also be the ones who would probably fancy their chances having a crack at the Premier League.

I have been called out on this before, not least on the basis they are professionals. But leaving those players aside and the injured three, there must be a dilemma for those players who know they would not figure in a promoted QPR side. Would you put 100% in to help get the team up knowing you would be finding another club next season or, give a little less than 100% knowing your contract should just about secure first team football at the club for at least another season.

Sometimes the right sort of players aren’t necessarily the right sort of players.

Players are all on win bonuses though and ultimately they get more money if we do well. You're also more likely to get a decent transfer/deal if you're with a successful club.
Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 08:36 - Apr 26 with 735 viewsTheChef

Insipid QPR, out with barely a whimper — Report on 18:17 - Apr 25 by Northernr

Losing Dieng has been a really big part of that - not only with his calm presence behind the defence but also his key role in us re-setting and getting forward when he has the ball.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024