Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 14:54 - Aug 17 with 18775 viewsNotLoyal

It’s a tricky game for the swans on Saturday against a Luton Town side which has enjoyed success over Russell Martin’s side in recent years. Realistically it could halogen again.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/58294/swansea-city-v-lut

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:20 - Aug 19 with 1479 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:12 - Aug 19 by Sirjohnalot

Yes, no reason at all why we cannot challenge. With a bit of luck, we'd be on 9 points. We were awful against Blackburn but should have beaten Rotherham and obviously Millwall

I don’t buy “luck” as it’s very much in the eye of the beholder. People who claim “luck” only tend to look one way, where as our opposition could also be ruing their luck. Our bar has been rattled a few times.

I don’t subscribe to the notion we should have beaten either Rotherham or Millwall. “Could” have beat them, but not “should” have - we weren’t good enough to win either. Far too many deficiencies in our play. It wasn’t down to luck that the opposition scored, they put us under pressure and we weren’t set up correctly to withstand it, whether that be mentally, physically or tactically.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:34 - Aug 19 with 1448 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:20 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t buy “luck” as it’s very much in the eye of the beholder. People who claim “luck” only tend to look one way, where as our opposition could also be ruing their luck. Our bar has been rattled a few times.

I don’t subscribe to the notion we should have beaten either Rotherham or Millwall. “Could” have beat them, but not “should” have - we weren’t good enough to win either. Far too many deficiencies in our play. It wasn’t down to luck that the opposition scored, they put us under pressure and we weren’t set up correctly to withstand it, whether that be mentally, physically or tactically.

We effectively lost against Millwall and would have literally had the game gone on another 2 minutes.
We could also be on zero points. Blackpool had several straight straight forward chances and blew them.
We got a break away goal and managed to hang on. We didnt v Millwall.

It' s not great although one can always paint a rosy picture but we are more Klimt than Van Gogh to me

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:36 - Aug 19 with 1448 viewsSirjohnalot

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:20 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Ok, let’s agree that luck doesn’t play a part (disagree but let’s accept that), we are not that far away from being a very good team. Other than Blackburn, which was awful, we have shown what we can do and how close we are to being successful.

We’re creating chances, playing great football and I’m entertained. Yes I’m naturally very optimistic but we are not a team getting thumped, every week, not creating chances and not showing promise.
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:44 - Aug 19 with 1440 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:36 - Aug 19 by Sirjohnalot

Ok, let’s agree that luck doesn’t play a part (disagree but let’s accept that), we are not that far away from being a very good team. Other than Blackburn, which was awful, we have shown what we can do and how close we are to being successful.

We’re creating chances, playing great football and I’m entertained. Yes I’m naturally very optimistic but we are not a team getting thumped, every week, not creating chances and not showing promise.

Luck doesn’t play a part, if you are claiming one team to be lucky then you are essentially believing and endorsing magic spells. The law of averages will state that luck will always average itself out. Those that claim to be unlucky often ignore the parts where they were lucky, creating an illusion.

People still claim Steve Cooper is lucky 4 years into his reign, just awfully silly stuff devoid of any logic or understanding of reality.

While you think games are showing us how close we are to being successful and using the “perfect team and opposition logic” - by that I mean the notion of “if only we scored our chances and they didn’t score theirs” - to me that shows how far away we are from being successful.

I don’t agree we are playing “great football”, great football would mean creating a heap of chances, playing intelligently and limiting the opposition to very few and low quality chances. Knocking the ball around our area has never constituted great football and never will.

We have allowed the opposition to have 10+ shots on our goal in each of our last 3 games.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:13 - Aug 19 with 1399 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 08:44 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Luck doesn’t play a part, if you are claiming one team to be lucky then you are essentially believing and endorsing magic spells. The law of averages will state that luck will always average itself out. Those that claim to be unlucky often ignore the parts where they were lucky, creating an illusion.

People still claim Steve Cooper is lucky 4 years into his reign, just awfully silly stuff devoid of any logic or understanding of reality.

While you think games are showing us how close we are to being successful and using the “perfect team and opposition logic” - by that I mean the notion of “if only we scored our chances and they didn’t score theirs” - to me that shows how far away we are from being successful.

I don’t agree we are playing “great football”, great football would mean creating a heap of chances, playing intelligently and limiting the opposition to very few and low quality chances. Knocking the ball around our area has never constituted great football and never will.

We have allowed the opposition to have 10+ shots on our goal in each of our last 3 games.

Good football includes defending

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:29 - Aug 19 with 1381 viewsRichardO

What would be your starting lineup for tomorrow's game given it cannot be the same as the last game with Lati out?

Does he go with the team that played up to the 70mins substitutions on Tuesday
or
Would you play Cabango for the 90mins seeing as he did start and finish in the only game we have won this season (would have to been in a position he is comfortable in i.e. not on the left).
or
Given that Darling and Wood seem to have a bit of pace would you play them as full backs and keep Naughton and Carbango in the middle. Would mean a change of system but then again it might be called plan B (getting your better players on the field)?
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:38 - Aug 19 with 1371 viewsKeithHaynes

As much as it’s exceptionally sad to see Lati injured in the way he was and his absence from the team, I really don’t think he will be missed. The selection quandary displays a complete lack of strength in the squad.

How Martin goes tomorrow I genuinely think will define the swans support for and against this season, bar the few who continually berate him. As I said that doesn’t bother me when put over in the right way.

He has played a side this season with supposed wing backs, Sorinola and Latibeaudiere haven’t produced what the manager wants. Simple as that.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:44 - Aug 19 with 1364 viewsonehunglow

God only Know ,Keith what will happen.That's the buzz.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:49 - Aug 19 with 1361 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 07:35 - Aug 19 by Sirjohnalot

I’m enjoying myself. Love going to away matches, really love taking my dad to the game.

The more I can take him, the better a season it will be.

Course I want is to get in the playoffs or top 2, but far more important things.

This is what football is all about. I really hope you and your dad have a great day tomorrow, win lose or draw. Treasure the memories, one day regretfully they are all we will have.
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:56 - Aug 19 with 1327 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:49 - Aug 19 by Whiterockin

This is what football is all about. I really hope you and your dad have a great day tomorrow, win lose or draw. Treasure the memories, one day regretfully they are all we will have.

Same sentiments John
I used to go with mine as a kid and then when he was getting on we 've done a few away games and some at the Liberty. He died aged 93 and seen it all.

Sadly,mine won't go to see the Swans anymore.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 11:34 - Aug 19 with 1278 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 07:44 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Of course, but “a good season” and “enjoying yourself” aren’t really the same thing.

I went to watch the Rocketeer in the cinema in the 90’s when I was a kid, utterly dreadful film, I mean truly dreadful - but I enjoyed the day out.

I couldn’t describe it as “a good film” though despite enjoying the occasion of being there with mates and eating junk.

So in terms of a good season, what does that look like to you?

Play-offs?

Play offs is a good season. 10th or 12th is what I’d expect, but you could hardly class that as good or overachieving.

I’d say playoffs is a good season, mid table is adequate at best. 15th/16th again would be very underwhelming.

As with everyone else, my expectations will change as the season progresses.
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 12:07 - Aug 19 with 1243 viewsSirjohnalot

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:49 - Aug 19 by Whiterockin

Exactly. He is in great health at the moment but is in his 80s.

My work is done for the day now, so will watch some of the Test Match, have a mooch around Neath, maybe pop down Aberavon (is there a decent shop for ice cream there ?) and watch the game. Be great to have a win, will be shouting my head off but, to be honest, I don't really care, will enjoy it regardless.
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 12:11 - Aug 19 with 1231 viewsJohnw102

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 09:29 - Aug 19 by RichardO

What would be your starting lineup for tomorrow's game given it cannot be the same as the last game with Lati out?

Does he go with the team that played up to the 70mins substitutions on Tuesday
or
Would you play Cabango for the 90mins seeing as he did start and finish in the only game we have won this season (would have to been in a position he is comfortable in i.e. not on the left).
or
Given that Darling and Wood seem to have a bit of pace would you play them as full backs and keep Naughton and Carbango in the middle. Would mean a change of system but then again it might be called plan B (getting your better players on the field)?

Play Woods, Cubango, Darling as a 3 with KN26 as sweeper and talker. Joey and Matt. MS and Ryan Was JP and MO up front

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 12:23 - Aug 19 with 1195 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 11:34 - Aug 19 by jack247

Play offs is a good season. 10th or 12th is what I’d expect, but you could hardly class that as good or overachieving.

I’d say playoffs is a good season, mid table is adequate at best. 15th/16th again would be very underwhelming.

As with everyone else, my expectations will change as the season progresses.

Playoffs is a good season for sure.

Top 8 is what we should all be expecting with our salary budgets, transfer spend. squad value, managerial continuity etc etc

Top 10 is acceptable.

Less than that and conversations need to be had, the lower the finish outside the top 10, the more serious the discussion.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:40 - Aug 19 with 1147 viewsnantywatcher

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 12:07 - Aug 19 by Sirjohnalot

Exactly. He is in great health at the moment but is in his 80s.

My work is done for the day now, so will watch some of the Test Match, have a mooch around Neath, maybe pop down Aberavon (is there a decent shop for ice cream there ?) and watch the game. Be great to have a win, will be shouting my head off but, to be honest, I don't really care, will enjoy it regardless.

Remos for ice cream and good food all day long. Enjoy your day.
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:46 - Aug 19 with 1144 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 12:23 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Playoffs is a good season for sure.

Top 8 is what we should all be expecting with our salary budgets, transfer spend. squad value, managerial continuity etc etc

Top 10 is acceptable.

Less than that and conversations need to be had, the lower the finish outside the top 10, the more serious the discussion.

You keep mentioning our transfer budget.
If it is so good as to lead to top 8 expectations ( as per your post ), how come all and sundry keep saying we still need to sign a few players ?
With less than two weeks to the transfer deadline, our budget doesn't seem to be allowing any more signings.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:51 - Aug 19 with 1123 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:46 - Aug 19 by STID2017

If it is so good as to lead to top 8 expectations ( as per your post ), how come all and sundry keep saying we still need to sign a few players ?
With less than two weeks to the transfer deadline, our budget doesn't seem to be allowing any more signings.

I don’t think I understand the question.

Man United want a whole new squad let alone a few players like us, they have one of the biggest budgets in world football.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:56 - Aug 19 with 1114 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:51 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t think I understand the question.

Man United want a whole new squad let alone a few players like us, they have one of the biggest budgets in world football.

Okay why can you not understand simple questions ?
Even the most eloquent Sir John seemed to struggle getting his points across to you.
Anyway simple question.
If we have a budget which leads to expectations of a top 8 finish by you, why have we not signed the extra players we need by now ?
Or do you think the squad is strong enough that we do not b
need any extra players ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:14 - Aug 19 with 1093 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:56 - Aug 19 by STID2017

Even the most eloquent Sir John seemed to struggle getting his points across to you.
Anyway simple question.
If we have a budget which leads to expectations of a top 8 finish by you, why have we not signed the extra players we need by now ?
need any extra players ?

It’s 2.14 pm.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:17 - Aug 19 with 1094 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:46 - Aug 19 by STID2017

What football club doesn't have everyone saying they need more players? Fans are rarely happy, and neither are managers.
Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:27 - Aug 19 with 1077 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 13:56 - Aug 19 by STID2017

Anyway simple question.
need any extra players ?

It isn’t simple. The question makes no sense.

Again, Man United have one of the biggest budgets in world football and their fans want a whole new side.

We have a top 8 salary bill and we have spent the top 8 amount of money and have a top 8 squad value.

If you want more, then expectations will go up in line with that. As it stands top 8 should be the expectations.

It’s pretty straight forward.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:28 - Aug 19 with 1075 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:14 - Aug 19 by onehunglow

It’s 2.14 pm.

11:28pm where I am 😉

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:30 - Aug 19 with 1075 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:28 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

What does the future hold as you re ahead of us

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:31 - Aug 19 with 1071 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:17 - Aug 19 by jasper_T

What football club doesn't have everyone saying they need more players? Fans are rarely happy, and neither are managers.

Exactly, I can’t remember a single season where we have not wanted more players. It’s the same for every club regardless of budget.

Man City want a full back but refused to pay Brighton £50m for Curcurella.

As it stands, we have spent a top 8 amount of cash on transfer fees, are paying a top 8 amount in salaries, have a top 8 longest serving manager in the league and a top 8 estimated squad value. Funnily enough we also averaged 8th in bookies odds for the title.

We should be top 8. Couple of places outside that would be reluctantly acceptable… less and it’s disappointing.

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:37 - Aug 19 with 1067 viewsSirjohnalot

Swansea City v Luton Town : Matchday Thread 22/23 on 14:28 - Aug 19 by Dr_Parnassus

At least one of you is in our time zone : )

(Joke )

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024