Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) 11:31 - Feb 4 with 3487 viewskernowhoop

I have just had this online story pop up on my screen:

'Crystal Palace boss Patrick Vieira removed Shaun Derry as a first team coach in a row for overstepping in his role after he was caught repeatedly berating players. The former Arsenal midfielder confirmed earlier this week Derry was set to step down from his role as Eagles first-team coach but refused to go into details. However, Sportsmail can reveal that the relationship between Vieira and Derry broke down as far back as October, when Palace suffered a 3-0 defeat to strugglers Everton. The Frenchman entered the dressing room to find his first-team coach Derry berating the players after their dismal performance at Goodison Park. Derry's comments were focused on passion and playing for the Palace badge with pride, but the problem being such displays of passion are not Vieira's style - and even worse it was not the only time it has happened.'

'Passion and playing with pride' was Sean Derry's style when he was with QPR. It seems to be an out-dated concept at Crystal Palace. Could it work here?
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 13:53 - Feb 4 with 3277 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Professional football has never been all about passion and busting a gut. Those who think it is, including many on this message board, are in their own fantasy world. To perform best most players need to be calm, concentrated and confident. Some like Shaun Derry have other qualities which made up for limited talent.

It takes all sorts. Some players performing at their best can look lackadaisical. When they are losing fans can get the wrong impression.

Our players seem to have lost a bit of confidence due to Beale letting them down. They may have lost concentration against Fleetwood, understandably as the FA Cup is not a priority for them. When I saw them against Swansea they were their usual selves, the same team that got us top in October apart from the luck we had then plus the two or three exceptional strikes from Willock and Chair which were unlikely to be repeated very often.

Viera wants his team to be calm, concentrated and confident, not berated by the likes of Derry.
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:39 - Feb 4 with 3160 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 13:53 - Feb 4 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Professional football has never been all about passion and busting a gut. Those who think it is, including many on this message board, are in their own fantasy world. To perform best most players need to be calm, concentrated and confident. Some like Shaun Derry have other qualities which made up for limited talent.

It takes all sorts. Some players performing at their best can look lackadaisical. When they are losing fans can get the wrong impression.

Our players seem to have lost a bit of confidence due to Beale letting them down. They may have lost concentration against Fleetwood, understandably as the FA Cup is not a priority for them. When I saw them against Swansea they were their usual selves, the same team that got us top in October apart from the luck we had then plus the two or three exceptional strikes from Willock and Chair which were unlikely to be repeated very often.

Viera wants his team to be calm, concentrated and confident, not berated by the likes of Derry.

No one on this message board has suggested that professional football is ALL about passion and guts. They just want to see their team try, win or lose. Indeed, it is somewhat ironic that you have chosen to criticise Shaun Derry for berating players by berating fellow message boarders. Could you not have made the point (which is a good one BTW) without taking aim at your peers?

Anyway, passion, work-rate, courage, whatever you want to call it, is a key ingredient of a winning team. Natural talent alone won't get the job done. Derry himself brought that ingredient to a QPR team that was packed with talent (Adel included) but lacking in fortitude. He and the likes of Clint Hill, Bradley Orr and Paddy Kenny elevated that team from mid-table fodder to title winners. Patrick Vieira as a player was not shy in berating any teammate that wasn't pushing his weight. I find it hard to believe that as a manager he now favours a softly, softly approach.

Without any footage it's difficult to make a judgement call on this specific situation however on a general note I have no issue with the coaching staff occasionally berating the players after a dismal defeat if it's merited. I suspect the key here was what was said rather than how it was delivered and the frequency with which Derry resorted to such tactics. If it's done repeatedly then it loses its potency and the manager will appear rather undermined.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 14:49]
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:42 - Feb 4 with 3148 viewshertshoops

My first thought was 'lets get him in as one of our assistant coaches'

But then maybe he could still do a better job than some of our current CM's
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:51 - Feb 4 with 3113 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:42 - Feb 4 by hertshoops

My first thought was 'lets get him in as one of our assistant coaches'

But then maybe he could still do a better job than some of our current CM's

"My first thought was 'lets get him in as one of our assistant coaches'".

Funny that, I thought the same.
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:52 - Feb 4 with 3100 viewsBoston

Patrick Vierra displaying time honoured French characteristic...surrender.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:59 - Feb 4 with 3089 viewsBenny_the_Ball

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64436127

"But what a transformation there has been on the pitch in just five days under the experienced Dyche.

The former Burnley boss has already set about changing the mindset of a team who have been abject this season.

Writing in his matchday programme notes, Dyche asked for "hard work" and a demonstration of the "pride" of wearing the Everton shirt - and he got both."
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 16:02 - Feb 4 with 3012 viewsaston_hoop

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:59 - Feb 4 by Benny_the_Ball

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64436127

"But what a transformation there has been on the pitch in just five days under the experienced Dyche.

The former Burnley boss has already set about changing the mindset of a team who have been abject this season.

Writing in his matchday programme notes, Dyche asked for "hard work" and a demonstration of the "pride" of wearing the Everton shirt - and he got both."

Much like the transformation from us losing 3-0 in that dreadful dreadful performance v Burnley to going and winning at Deepdale 6 days later after Critchley took charge

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 17:23 - Feb 4 with 2867 viewsNortholt_Rs

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 16:02 - Feb 4 by aston_hoop

Much like the transformation from us losing 3-0 in that dreadful dreadful performance v Burnley to going and winning at Deepdale 6 days later after Critchley took charge

Which was the start of Critchley’s awesome WDLDLDDLD.
Getting ready for his post match cliches…. Again. 8 points from 24 is abysmal.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 17:28]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Login to get fewer ads

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 17:30 - Feb 4 with 2829 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 14:52 - Feb 4 by Boston

Patrick Vierra displaying time honoured French characteristic...surrender.

Have to admit i watched the last 10 minutes of Palace V United and was begging for the equalizer but Utd proved a tough nut to crack.
They were dirty of course knowing they can get away with anything at Old trafford plus threw the ball away everytime with zero sign of yellow cards.
Palace did not show enough steel take that PV
Derry is old school he will not except b.s time to bring him over to Loftus Road IMO
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 17:50 - Feb 4 with 2785 viewsQPunkR

Derry is certainly not just a ‘shout at em to get em to play’ kind of coach. He’s got his UEFA licenses so has obviously taken it all as seriously as he took his playing career. I for one don’t see what is wrong in the slightest with berating players for a toothless performance, surprised with that move from Vieira, unless it was his way of winning back factions if the dressing room, showing that he’s on their side

QPR - "shit but local"

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 18:25 - Feb 4 with 2703 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 17:50 - Feb 4 by QPunkR

Derry is certainly not just a ‘shout at em to get em to play’ kind of coach. He’s got his UEFA licenses so has obviously taken it all as seriously as he took his playing career. I for one don’t see what is wrong in the slightest with berating players for a toothless performance, surprised with that move from Vieira, unless it was his way of winning back factions if the dressing room, showing that he’s on their side

I think the word repeatedly is the important one.

In general on bollockings, different keys for different locks.
Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 22:22 - Feb 5 with 2391 viewsstainrods_elbow

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 18:25 - Feb 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think a certain Mr Warnock may beg to differ.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 08:53 - Feb 6 with 2195 viewsnix

Not good to tell players they have not tried hard enough (non QPR) on 18:25 - Feb 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

Absolutely all of this. It' sounds like it was more than once. Also it depends how personal the attackers were.

I remember we had a maths teacher that used to shout at me. All it meant was that I was terrified to go to her classes and my mind went completely blank, which wasn't very handy for learning maths.

Yesterday I had some training from a really inspirational person. I was really nervous because she is highly respected in her field and the work is very difficult to learn and highly complex. She was so respectful and supportive that I did the best work so far. If she'd have shouted at me, I'd have learnt nothing.

I'm also got two young men in my house and shouting at them never worked either.

A mixture of encouragement and setting reasonable expectations while explaining why they need to better and giving them any support I can offer they need always works the best.

I know it's not as sexy as 'hairdryer' treatment but I'm pretty convinced it works better in the long run. Command respect, definitely, but screaming at people regularly, definitely not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024