Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tenby 20:47 - Feb 23 with 3267 viewsDr_Winston

My heart belongs to the Gower, but in my head I want to retire to Tenby (If I can afford it). It's a cracking little place. Good pubs, good restaurants and stunning beaches.

I don't think there's anywhere else in South Wales that combines those three things anything like as well. Anyone else got any preferred spots that they keep returning to?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:15]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tenby on 21:39 - Feb 23 with 2452 views1462jack

Newquay west wales we go twice a year for a week , would love my own static down there lovely place
Tenby on 21:49 - Feb 23 with 2443 viewsbuilthjack

I love Tenby, especially out of tourist season.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Tenby on 22:04 - Feb 23 with 2429 viewsDr_Winston

Tenby on 21:39 - Feb 23 by 1462jack

Newquay west wales we go twice a year for a week , would love my own static down there lovely place

My mother has a static near there. About 10-15 minutes drive. Nice site.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tenby on 22:05 - Feb 23 with 2427 viewsDr_Winston

Tenby on 21:49 - Feb 23 by builthjack

I love Tenby, especially out of tourist season.

Out of season is best. In season is ok as long as you avoid a Saturday night.

Tenby on 22:17 - Feb 23 with 2411 viewslifelong

St David’s does it for me, been going down there for close on 30 years.
Tenby on 22:33 - Feb 23 with 2397 viewsBoundy

As you Tenby , my life seems to have evolved around the area , we had our honeymoon there with 3 nights over a wet Autumn weekend before having to return to camp. my kids have happy spending long summers there and now their kids have the same enjoyment .Theres something which takes us back time after time and we never get bored , sitting near the bandstand watching the boats transporting day trippers to Caldy or building sand castles etc watching the tide absorb the hours of effort .
We are truly blessed to live where we do ,even Swansea bay for me has its hold, Rhossll and Gower for the sunsets, walks and solitude , all the way around the pembrokeshire coast ( taking in Barafundle Bay , Freshwater east and west , Stackpole ) I never tire of visiting so many wonderful places and so relatively close to home

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Tenby on 06:08 - Feb 24 with 2328 viewsTogg

Tenby on 22:33 - Feb 23 by Boundy

As you Tenby , my life seems to have evolved around the area , we had our honeymoon there with 3 nights over a wet Autumn weekend before having to return to camp. my kids have happy spending long summers there and now their kids have the same enjoyment .Theres something which takes us back time after time and we never get bored , sitting near the bandstand watching the boats transporting day trippers to Caldy or building sand castles etc watching the tide absorb the hours of effort .
We are truly blessed to live where we do ,even Swansea bay for me has its hold, Rhossll and Gower for the sunsets, walks and solitude , all the way around the pembrokeshire coast ( taking in Barafundle Bay , Freshwater east and west , Stackpole ) I never tire of visiting so many wonderful places and so relatively close to home

It's Southern Spain for us (Keith had the right idea).
Hopefully 3 years time. I don't like the winters in the UK and I like spending more times outdoors. Add in the great food at reasonable prices and the price of a good beer or glass of wine. We are doing plenty of research at the moment. The alternative we haven't ruled out is to spend some of the winter months there but going full time is still out first choice
Tenby on 06:36 - Feb 24 with 2316 viewspencoedjack

Tenby on 06:08 - Feb 24 by Togg

Hopefully 3 years time. I don't like the winters in the UK and I like spending more times outdoors. Add in the great food at reasonable prices and the price of a good beer or glass of wine. We are doing plenty of research at the moment. The alternative we haven't ruled out is to spend some of the winter months there but going full time is still out first choice

Same for me although I am also considering Portugal.

I’m in Saudersfoot this weekend with friends for our annual egg weekend (although I have no interest in the rugby), personally prefer Saundersfoot to Tenby.
Login to get fewer ads

Tenby on 08:56 - Feb 24 with 2277 viewsSgorioFruit

Tenby on 06:36 - Feb 24 by pencoedjack

I’m in Saudersfoot this weekend with friends for our annual egg weekend (although I have no interest in the rugby), personally prefer Saundersfoot to Tenby.

Llanberis for me
Mountains everywhere
Freshwater lakes
Traditional stone cottages.
Old pubs.
Welsh spoken everywhere

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Tenby on 09:51 - Feb 24 with 2257 viewsWhiterockin

Tenby on 08:56 - Feb 24 by SgorioFruit

Llanberis for me
Mountains everywhere
Freshwater lakes
Traditional stone cottages.
Old pubs.
Welsh spoken everywhere

Llanberis and Betws-y-Coed are wonderful, sadly never seen to be appreciated by many from the South of Wales. The same could be said of Builthies part of the world, mainly only seen by those passing onto the Royal Welsh. Wales in general has so much to offer and I would say, appreciated more by the English than the Welsh.
Tenby on 10:13 - Feb 24 with 2234 viewsDr_Winston

Tenby on 06:36 - Feb 24 by pencoedjack

Abroad is also an option. Probably a cheaper one than buying a house in Tenby. Suspect Mrs Winston would prefer being closer to home than emigrate permanently tho.

Tenby on 10:49 - Feb 24 with 2208 viewscontroversial_jack

Tenby is nice enough, but expensive.You can walk around it in an hour.I avoid it when the Mrs suggests a visit
Tenby on 11:19 - Feb 24 with 2197 viewsScotia

Tenby is nice. We considered moving down there before my daughter started school but stayed in Swansea. We won't budge now until she's 18.

We also considered a static in Tenby but that's stupid money that I'd rather spend on holidays abroad or getting shot of the mortgage. I was amazed at the cost.

The move then is likely to be out of Wales, depending on what happens to Swansea's attempts at regeneration between now and then. My first choice is Spain / Canaries, probably be followed by South Devon.
Tenby on 11:27 - Feb 24 with 2196 viewspencoedjack

Tenby on 10:13 - Feb 24 by Dr_Winston

Abroad is also an option. Probably a cheaper one than buying a house in Tenby. Suspect Mrs Winston would prefer being closer to home than emigrate permanently tho.

Grandkids?

That's my biggest issue with Mrs PJ although I have said they will spend more quality time with us during their holidays.

By the time I retire they will be around 14 & 15 so spending summer holidays in Portugal/Spain they should love it (or at least that's how I am trying to sell it to Mrs PJ).
Tenby on 11:46 - Feb 24 with 2183 viewsWhiterockin

Tenby on 11:27 - Feb 24 by pencoedjack

Grandkids?

That's my biggest issue with Mrs PJ although I have said they will spend more quality time with us during their holidays.

By the time I retire they will be around 14 & 15 so spending summer holidays in Portugal/Spain they should love it (or at least that's how I am trying to sell it to Mrs PJ).

You may find that by the time they reach that age you actually see your grandchildren less frequently. They are starting to create a life for themselves with friends and other interests, particularly if they have sporting commitments. I have personally found that I tend to go to them more than they come to me, more so to watch them play their sports. I was told when I first became a grandparent, enjoy them while they are young, because when they become teenagers, they become independent and you won't see them so much. It was sound advice.
Tenby on 12:06 - Feb 24 with 2174 viewsDr_Winston

Tenby on 11:27 - Feb 24 by pencoedjack

Grandkids?

Her kids are 14 and 17 so hopefully not for a good while yet. By the time we're ready to retire there may be one or two which will factor into her thinking.

Tenby on 15:27 - Feb 24 with 2082 viewsBadgeman

Llanmadoc or Pennard are where I'd fancy right now.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

Tenby on 15:57 - Feb 24 with 2061 viewsBarrySwan

Barry Island.

1) 4 beaches, 3 sandy, one pebble.

2). Marco's cafe plus assorted sea food and donut stands and a large number of fish and chip shops

3) Finnegans pub plus a huge assortment of half finished cans, bottles etc available for mine sweeping strewn about by groups of inebriated under age youths.

I think that the above just about ticks all the boxes of your stated wish list?
Tenby on 16:32 - Feb 24 with 2049 viewsmax936

Its bedlam there in Summer, I love the place myself, went there twice last year.

Be Spain or the Balearic's for me, if I could afford of course.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tenby on 16:48 - Feb 24 with 2033 viewsKeithHaynes

Tenby on 06:08 - Feb 24 by Togg

Always happy to offer some guidance mate, plenty of pitfalls that bite you when least expected.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Tenby on 17:21 - Feb 24 with 2011 viewsonehunglow

Went to rural France to meet and stay with a recently departed Swans immobilier.
It was a chastening experience watching and listening to the sheer nothingness and lack of life there. Glorious for recluses,artists,musicians and writers . Being one who just about detests everyone pretty much Nirvana but for “ normal” people the isolation kills the soul and the dreams quickly turn sepia coloured .
Spain is for many Brits is simply an extended holiday to start with and not being people who enjoy speaking foreign tongues and not understanding foreign bureaucracy it can turn foul quickly.
Keith seems to have nailed matters though living in a vibrant and still very authentic city .
Even so,it is essential to learn the language and learn it well. If not,you’re simply another ex Pat boring the bejesus out of anyone unfortunate to find you in a bar .

Aesthetically ,for us,western Algarve around Lagos would be a good home although not much in the way of City sites and attractions that people like .

Brexit hasn’t made it exactly easier .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Tenby on 18:38 - Feb 24 with 1990 viewsFlashberryjack

Tenby on 11:19 - Feb 24 by Scotia

Tenby is nice. We considered moving down there before my daughter started school but stayed in Swansea. We won't budge now until she's 18.

We also considered a static in Tenby but that's stupid money that I'd rather spend on holidays abroad or getting shot of the mortgage. I was amazed at the cost.

The move then is likely to be out of Wales, depending on what happens to Swansea's attempts at regeneration between now and then. My first choice is Spain / Canaries, probably be followed by South Devon.

We looked at buying a caravan near Tenby, the cost was eyewatering, and you get ripped off something terrible if you decide to sell.

I'd like to spend winter abroad, and summer back home here in Wales, unfortunately, present circumstances don't allow us to do that.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Tenby on 20:33 - Feb 24 with 1955 viewslifelong

Tenby on 18:38 - Feb 24 by Flashberryjack

We looked at buying a caravan near Tenby, the cost was eyewatering, and you get ripped off something terrible if you decide to sell.

I'd like to spend winter abroad, and summer back home here in Wales, unfortunately, present circumstances don't allow us to do that.

Neighbours of our daughter has just sold their 3 year old static, at one of the more expensive sites in Tenby, for 50 grand. They were unable to afford the annual ground rent which has been increased by 3 grand to somewhere in the region of 10 grand a season… it’s madness.
Tenby on 22:07 - Feb 24 with 1905 viewsmajorraglan

Tenby on 20:33 - Feb 24 by lifelong

Neighbours of our daughter has just sold their 3 year old static, at one of the more expensive sites in Tenby, for 50 grand. They were unable to afford the annual ground rent which has been increased by 3 grand to somewhere in the region of 10 grand a season… it’s madness.

You’re not wrong, it’s madness and pure greed, people are going to walk away and these caravan sites etc are going to suffer. Prices for everything are going up whilst wages are being eroded and things are going to get very unpleasant.

My old man bought a second hand car about 3 years ago for £7k, identical car on the stealers forecourt now costs £9.5k. Mental
Tenby on 22:58 - Feb 24 with 1886 viewsWhiterockin

Tenby on 20:33 - Feb 24 by lifelong

There seems to be those with and those without at the moment. If they sold it for £50K there is someone who can afford it and the ground rent. I take your point but as long as someone will pay others will charge.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024