Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
House Prices 10:47 - Jul 13 with 3046 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66154013

I read this thread about a girl living in Cardiff who has £50,000 saved and still apparently can't afford anywhere to buy. Out of curiosity I then had a look at properties listed on Rightmove and valued at £120,000 or less within ten miles of Cardiff.

Anyone wanna guess as to how many I found?

563. Even if only 10% were suitable that's still 50+ properties in easy commuting distance that are within her budget. Whilst I have no doubt that house prices in certain areas are too high, sill stories like this just keep the fear going.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 13:25]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

House Prices on 15:23 - Jul 17 with 640 viewscontroversial_jack

House Prices on 09:42 - Jul 17 by union_jack

I’m in the game too and it’s a royal pain in the backside. I get mine managed but never a month goes by when something needs doing decreasing the income. And the legislation and hooos you have to run through make it anything but easy money!

I’m lucky not to have any mortgages but those that have must be running at a loss except for the capital appreciation of the property. Of course, CGT will get you in that one!

It annoys me when people regard landlords as the modern day Peter Rachman. Those days have long gone and we provide a much in demand service and tenants know their rights. And demand them!

I haven't put up the rent for years. I have a young family with just one income renting a 3 bed in P Talbot and I charge £550 per month. I don't have the heart to put it up a bit, although I should
House Prices on 15:39 - Jul 17 with 635 viewsWhiterockin

House Prices on 15:20 - Jul 17 by controversial_jack

You can only get that on a limited amount. Not on savings accounts, not with Barclays anyway, not anywhere near that

Provider Rate (AER) When can I get the interest? Min/max deposit How to open
Top standard two-year fixes. Here are the highest-paying traditional accounts.
SmartSave

6.06%

At maturity

£10,000/ £85,000

(no joint accounts)

Investec via Raisin

6.06%

At maturity

£1,000/ £85,000

(no joint accounts)

Atom Bank

6.05%

Monthly or at maturity

£50/ £100,000

App
(no joint accounts)

Looking for a slightly shorter fix? You can beat the rates above with this 18-month account.
Tandem*

6.15%

Annually, paid away

£1/ £2.5m

Online/ app
(no joint accounts)

Decent option from an established name. As we know some prefer to save with bigger brands.
NatWest* / RBS
(matures 29 Aug 2025) 5.65% Monthly or at maturity £1/ £99,999
Online/ app

(no joint accounts)

5.9% £100,000/ £5m
Way to boost your interest. You can beat some of the rates above with this non-standard account.
House Prices on 15:51 - Jul 17 with 627 viewsSullutaCreturned

House Prices on 15:23 - Jul 17 by Dr_Winston

You can make a decent return on renting properties out. Sadly the continued erosion of landlord rights in favour of giving more to problem tenants just makes it not worth the hassle.

It's easier and cheaper for me to leave a house empty at the moment whilst I try to sell it rather than risk putting a short term tenant in there who might trash the place or refuse to move on completion. This is the idiocy of housing policy in action.

If you're selling a house then giving tenants 3 months notce sounds fair to me. These no fault evictions were wrong but giving the tenant too many rights isn't fair either.
House Prices on 16:04 - Jul 17 with 624 viewsDr_Winston

House Prices on 15:51 - Jul 17 by SullutaCreturned

If you're selling a house then giving tenants 3 months notce sounds fair to me. These no fault evictions were wrong but giving the tenant too many rights isn't fair either.

It's not just the giving of notice. There's a strong possibility that they could refuse to move, in which case there would be months of expensive legal wrangling and no income until they can finally be shifted.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

House Prices on 17:20 - Jul 17 with 591 viewscontroversial_jack

House Prices on 15:39 - Jul 17 by Whiterockin

Provider Rate (AER) When can I get the interest? Min/max deposit How to open
Top standard two-year fixes. Here are the highest-paying traditional accounts.
SmartSave

6.06%

At maturity

£10,000/ £85,000

(no joint accounts)

Investec via Raisin

6.06%

At maturity

£1,000/ £85,000

(no joint accounts)

Atom Bank

6.05%

Monthly or at maturity

£50/ £100,000

App
(no joint accounts)

Looking for a slightly shorter fix? You can beat the rates above with this 18-month account.
Tandem*

6.15%

Annually, paid away

£1/ £2.5m

Online/ app
(no joint accounts)

Decent option from an established name. As we know some prefer to save with bigger brands.
NatWest* / RBS
(matures 29 Aug 2025) 5.65% Monthly or at maturity £1/ £99,999
Online/ app

(no joint accounts)

5.9% £100,000/ £5m
Way to boost your interest. You can beat some of the rates above with this non-standard account.

Thanks for that, but everything we have is in joint account
House Prices on 18:32 - Jul 17 with 562 viewsWhiterockin

House Prices on 17:20 - Jul 17 by controversial_jack

Thanks for that, but everything we have is in joint account

Different investments suit different people at different times. I've never gone for rentals basically because I couldn't be arsed. My children had rentals prior to the tax changes but sold them all when the tax implication changes came in, if you have a decent job you hit the 40% early and it's pointless. I don't knock anyone for going down the rental route, but I prefer an easy life.
House Prices on 19:17 - Jul 17 with 535 viewsunion_jack

House Prices on 18:32 - Jul 17 by Whiterockin

Different investments suit different people at different times. I've never gone for rentals basically because I couldn't be arsed. My children had rentals prior to the tax changes but sold them all when the tax implication changes came in, if you have a decent job you hit the 40% early and it's pointless. I don't knock anyone for going down the rental route, but I prefer an easy life.

You’re a wise man😁

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

House Prices on 19:20 - Jul 17 with 532 viewscontroversial_jack

House Prices on 18:32 - Jul 17 by Whiterockin

I’m retired and on company pensions so don’t hit the 40% bracket. I can claim tax back on maint and repairs, although not improvements. I don’t have mortgages on them, but those assets are tied and i can’t access them unless the tenants decide to leave
Login to get fewer ads

House Prices on 07:02 - Jul 18 with 480 viewsModeratorD

House Prices on 22:10 - Jul 14 by Boundy

I'm one of those who took up the right to buy , we still live in the house as do many of my neighbours who also took up the option.We bought it off the council for 13.5K but the overall cost was a lot more due to a number of remortgages to improve the house . Value now I really don't know as not many go up for sale and although we would move it would only be because of potential access issues .
We rented in the Army then the council and probably would have continued to do so if Thatcher hadn't brought in the Act

My in laws bought their council house when they could.
A neighbour friend in the same type of house said they would never buy the house as they are rubbish and won't last ( Canadian style houses built in the 1960's )
Some 25 years on or more, my in laws are mortgage free, while the neighbour is still paying exorbitant rent for the same house.
They had and have more money than my in laws, and nothing to do with not agreeing in the sale of council house
House Prices on 07:06 - Jul 18 with 478 viewsModeratorD

House Prices on 15:20 - Jul 17 by controversial_jack

You can only get that on a limited amount. Not on savings accounts, not with Barclays anyway, not anywhere near that

Check out Kroo
Pays 4.25 on instant access account
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024