Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Talbot Tata 08:50 - Jan 19 with 6250 viewsBoundy

Big announcement today on the future of 3 thousand directly employed and god knows how many service jobs will disappear .All for chasing the impossible dream of net zero , the biggest con in this generations history

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Port Talbot Tata on 19:26 - Jan 19 with 1109 viewsBoundy

Port Talbot Tata on 18:16 - Jan 19 by raynor94

Electric arc is second rate, no comparison to Virgin steel

That's why its limited to what quality it can produce , which isn't a great deal and of little use when compared to what other countries are capable of producing .

Port Talbot Tata on 19:28 - Jan 19 with 1103 viewsBoundy

Port Talbot Tata on 18:27 - Jan 19 by Kilkennyjack

Its only when i read your numpty posts that i ever think of you.

You overrate yourself again.

Pity mun.

Just for you

Port Talbot Tata on 19:48 - Jan 19 with 1063 viewsraynor94

Port Talbot Tata on 19:15 - Jan 19 by ReslovenSwan1

I do not know for sure but there seems some symmetry in the ending of coal mining in Merthyr and the closing of the Tata steel furnaces at Port Talbot. Coal from the valleys were running down hill to PT and mined without planing permission.

I feel sorry for the inhabitants of PT with all the horrible pollution lowering the average life expectancy. I remember talking to a man from the coking plant at work 20 years ago. He could hardly breathe.

This plant has been on a death wish for a few decades now, The clock has been ticking.

The performance of Russian tanks in Ukraine does not support the idea that steel making would be a strategic military loss. If UK upgrade now the Boxer tanks and IFV will still be in action in 2060.

No one seemed too concerned about the massive job losses in Bridgend with Ford and Ineos.

Port Talbot Children now and yet to be born will not see net zero as an con. Nice beach down there once it is all clean and tidy.
[Post edited 19 Jan 22:21]

You really are a empty vessel once again pontificating on a subject you have no idea about.

You talked to one man 20 years ago, and your comment about the clock ticking for 30 years is laughable.

A town and an area is about to be decimated and you come out with smart arse comments, I worked there for 42 years and know how this is going to affect people there.

And your comment about children being born, families won't be able to afford children or mortgages.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Port Talbot Tata on 22:15 - Jan 19 with 1006 viewsReslovenSwan1

Port Talbot Tata on 19:48 - Jan 19 by raynor94

You really are a empty vessel once again pontificating on a subject you have no idea about.

You talked to one man 20 years ago, and your comment about the clock ticking for 30 years is laughable.

A town and an area is about to be decimated and you come out with smart arse comments, I worked there for 42 years and know how this is going to affect people there.

And your comment about children being born, families won't be able to afford children or mortgages.

I have been made redundant twice and had to act fast to avoid going bankrupt and losing my house. I was paid £3000 redundancy with a £700 pcm mortgage. This is a bad set back but not the end of the world. No one cried for me. I just got on with it.

My Uncle was relocated from Ebbw Vale to Ravenscraig over 50 years ago and now has Scottish family.

I tend to have no empathy for areas that voted for Brexit. It is probably not related to Europe in this case but Bridgend certainly was. European funding would have come no doubt.

The air is filthy in PT and the grime is clearly visible on a hot summer day hovering over the town. I predicted this plant would shut down 10 years ago. It never had a future against India and China with rock bottom wages and poor worker welfare.

Port Talbot will not be decimated. The people are strong and will find new cleaner jobs. They will probably live longer but with less cash. To new projects in Wales. The Munitions factory in Gwent and the gas fired power station in Hirwaun two I am aware of.

We are in the post industrial era and these are the last knockings. Good riddance and welcome clean air. Wales do not need these filthy jobs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N19G0BR/

'Project Fear' here and now.
[Post edited 19 Jan 22:24]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Port Talbot Tata on 22:35 - Jan 19 with 968 viewsSTID2017

Port Talbot Tata on 22:15 - Jan 19 by ReslovenSwan1

I have been made redundant twice and had to act fast to avoid going bankrupt and losing my house. I was paid £3000 redundancy with a £700 pcm mortgage. This is a bad set back but not the end of the world. No one cried for me. I just got on with it.

My Uncle was relocated from Ebbw Vale to Ravenscraig over 50 years ago and now has Scottish family.

I tend to have no empathy for areas that voted for Brexit. It is probably not related to Europe in this case but Bridgend certainly was. European funding would have come no doubt.

The air is filthy in PT and the grime is clearly visible on a hot summer day hovering over the town. I predicted this plant would shut down 10 years ago. It never had a future against India and China with rock bottom wages and poor worker welfare.

Port Talbot will not be decimated. The people are strong and will find new cleaner jobs. They will probably live longer but with less cash. To new projects in Wales. The Munitions factory in Gwent and the gas fired power station in Hirwaun two I am aware of.

We are in the post industrial era and these are the last knockings. Good riddance and welcome clean air. Wales do not need these filthy jobs.

The people who live and work in Port Talbot, not just in Tata but in all the businesses that directly and indirectly depend on it for their living, know all the plus and minus points of having the filthy, dirty, dangerous, air polluting works and how it affects not just their lives, but many, many lives.
It is no different to those who depended on the mines when they existed.
Your pathetic sentence "No one cried for me. I just got on with it." has parallels with the age old nonsense "I had the cane in school" or "My parents always smacked me when I was naughty" coupled with "It never did me any harm" stinks of someone who has no empathy for his fellow man and who clearly lives in the dark ages.
Your lack of empathy for those about to lose their living would be akin to me saying something like "Pull yourself together" to someone suffering depression.
You really need to look at yourself and question your morals.
As for the human cost in the already deprived area of South Wales and in particular NPT, it is not just the reported 2,500 jobs in TATA that will go, but at least 20,000 other jobs.
Many will go on to work in minimum wage jobs while others may never work again.
Not sure how you sleep at night

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Port Talbot Tata on 22:36 - Jan 19 with 970 viewsWhiterockin

Show some empathy for those whose lives will change beyond comprehension. Not only those who work directly but those who live locally and have businesses servicing the local community. You really do deserve all the shite you get. Think before you post, many read this site and at times like this we should be supportive not trying to score points.
Port Talbot Tata on 22:40 - Jan 19 with 954 viewsSTID2017

Port Talbot Tata on 22:36 - Jan 19 by Whiterockin

Show some empathy for those whose lives will change beyond comprehension. Not only those who work directly but those who live locally and have businesses servicing the local community. You really do deserve all the shite you get. Think before you post, many read this site and at times like this we should be supportive not trying to score points.

Not sure how he sleeps at night.
He is one low individual

Port Talbot Tata on 22:43 - Jan 19 with 946 viewsWhiterockin

Port Talbot Tata on 22:40 - Jan 19 by STID2017

He is one low individual

He really doesn't give a flying F for anyone apart from himself and his ego. This time he has gone to far.
Login to get fewer ads

Port Talbot Tata on 22:44 - Jan 19 with 937 viewsSTID2017

I do not know for sure but there seems some symmetry in the ending of coal mining in Merthyr and the closing of the Tata steel furnaces at Port Talbot. Coal from the valleys were running down hill to PT and mined without planing permission.

I feel sorry for the inhabitants of PT with all the horrible pollution lowering the average life expectancy. I remember talking to a man from the coking plant at work 20 years ago. He could hardly breathe.

This plant has been on a death wish for a few decades now, The clock has been ticking.

The performance of Russian tanks in Ukraine does not support the idea that steel making would be a strategic military loss. If UK upgrade now the Boxer tanks and IFV will still be in action in 2060.

No one seemed too concerned about the massive job losses in Bridgend with Ford and Ineos.

Port Talbot Children now and yet to be born will not see net zero as an con. Nice beach down there once it is all clean and tidy.

you utter clown

Port Talbot Tata on 22:47 - Jan 19 with 927 viewsSTID2017

Port Talbot Tata on 17:56 - Jan 19 by AnotherJohn

As I understand things the modernisation will reduce our capability. The electric arc furnaces are only suitable for secondary steel production meaning that they reprocess scrap steel to make new steel products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

The coal-fired furnaces presently operating at Port Talbot are capable of primary steel production meaning that they can convert pig iron to liquid steel. The raw ingredients are iron ore, limestone and coal/coke.

https://www.servicesteel.org/resources/electric-arc-furnace-vs-blast-furnace#:~:

Relying on scrap steel would not be enough to meet all the UK's steel production needs so we would still need to import steel from overseas producers capable of primary steel production.

No doubt somebody who actually works in Port Talbot will correct me if I have got anything wrong.
[Post edited 19 Jan 17:57]

Also I understand it increases the need for electricity which in some cases has led to steel producers using arc furnaces having to develop their own electric generation plants

Port Talbot Tata on 23:16 - Jan 19 with 884 viewsBoundy

Port Talbot Tata on 22:44 - Jan 19 by STID2017

you utter clown

utter disgrace

Port Talbot Tata on 23:17 - Jan 19 with 883 viewsmax936

Port Talbot Tata on 22:47 - Jan 19 by STID2017

Also I understand it increases the need for electricity which in some cases has led to steel producers using arc furnaces having to develop their own electric generation plants

They gonna have to produce their own the Network is struggling to cope as it is the demand for EV's is increasing and the infrastructure isn't large enough to cope.

What's happening at Port Talbot is devasting, I worked there from 2004 to 2016 and still have some good friends who still work there, many finished on the last round of redundancies, many who work there are passionate about their work there, heart breaking for them and their Families and the Town of Port Talbot and the surrounding areas and further afield.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Port Talbot Tata on 00:08 - Jan 20 with 851 viewsReslovenSwan1

Port Talbot Tata on 22:35 - Jan 19 by STID2017

The people who live and work in Port Talbot, not just in Tata but in all the businesses that directly and indirectly depend on it for their living, know all the plus and minus points of having the filthy, dirty, dangerous, air polluting works and how it affects not just their lives, but many, many lives.
It is no different to those who depended on the mines when they existed.
Your pathetic sentence "No one cried for me. I just got on with it." has parallels with the age old nonsense "I had the cane in school" or "My parents always smacked me when I was naughty" coupled with "It never did me any harm" stinks of someone who has no empathy for his fellow man and who clearly lives in the dark ages.
Your lack of empathy for those about to lose their living would be akin to me saying something like "Pull yourself together" to someone suffering depression.
You really need to look at yourself and question your morals.
As for the human cost in the already deprived area of South Wales and in particular NPT, it is not just the reported 2,500 jobs in TATA that will go, but at least 20,000 other jobs.
Many will go on to work in minimum wage jobs while others may never work again.
Not sure how you sleep at night

You are right I lost all empathy when the people of Neath and Port Talbot when they voted with the recommendation of the Tory ERG group and rejected the advice of the WAG not to vote for Brexit.

They, in 2016 showed a brazen and cavalier attitude for he own welfare and "took a chance". Bridgend was even worse. I literally said to myself. "I give up, whats the point?"

What goes around come around. Voting in Wales for the Tory ERG group. 60:40 for Brexit. They can now rely on the new opportunities with trade with the US Investments and South east Asia. That is what they voted for. Crack on and good luck. Restructuring was always on the agenda. Trust in Boris he will not let you down.

The clock was always ticking. The warning signs have been there for a decade. Big money coming to PT tax free. Spend it wisely.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Port Talbot Tata on 04:28 - Jan 20 with 803 viewsKilkennyjack

This Tory government has been different to previous Tory governments and refused to engage with Welsh Govt. The unions should get their legal team all over this.

Its not a game and its ended up with these terrible job losses.

Beware of the Risen People

Port Talbot Tata on 07:17 - Jan 20 with 787 viewsjack247

Crass comment.

A lot of us have friends and family directly affected. I’m sure there are plenty of Tata employees reading this site.

This is a life changing event for plenty of local people. There’s a time and a place for your attention seeking.
Port Talbot Tata on 09:43 - Jan 20 with 699 viewsraynor94

Port Talbot Tata on 22:40 - Jan 19 by STID2017

He is one low individual

100% agree he is a despicable individual

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Port Talbot Tata on 09:54 - Jan 20 with 687 viewsBoundy

Port Talbot Tata on 00:08 - Jan 20 by ReslovenSwan1

You are right I lost all empathy when the people of Neath and Port Talbot when they voted with the recommendation of the Tory ERG group and rejected the advice of the WAG not to vote for Brexit.

They, in 2016 showed a brazen and cavalier attitude for he own welfare and "took a chance". Bridgend was even worse. I literally said to myself. "I give up, whats the point?"

What goes around come around. Voting in Wales for the Tory ERG group. 60:40 for Brexit. They can now rely on the new opportunities with trade with the US Investments and South east Asia. That is what they voted for. Crack on and good luck. Restructuring was always on the agenda. Trust in Boris he will not let you down.

The clock was always ticking. The warning signs have been there for a decade. Big money coming to PT tax free. Spend it wisely.

You lost empathy for a group of your own who voted in a democratic process,because you disagreed with their POV. I can only hope that karma returns the favour .

Port Talbot Tata on 10:01 - Jan 20 with 683 viewsonehunglow

South Wales became prosperous with the dirties ,dangerous jobs imaginable.
Ideally, nobody should have gone underground to earn a living .
Coal led to steel which formed Port Talbot ,as we know it.
Without it ,there is nothing . Other cleaner jobs? Where ?
South Wales has hardly been central to the thoughts of successive governments . Forget this Cardiff talking shop.
Job losses of this scale in the London area would see national action on a massive scale

I worked there from 1966-1968 and then it was clearly overmanned but it proved jobs for most and when the jobs go on an industrial area,they are never replaced .

POTY!

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Port Talbot Tata on 10:48 - Jan 20 with 652 viewsWingstandwood

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-35931414

The ex-First Sea Lord and Chief of U.K Naval Staff is fully aware what would happen if the U.K had to endure a naval blockade in times of a major conflict.

QUOTE: "Lord West: 'Steel important strategically'.

Argus!

Port Talbot Tata on 11:05 - Jan 20 with 635 viewsLuther27

Different times Res. Looking back to the days BP Llandarcy closed…BP Baglan closed …Fords Swansea closed . A lot of people made redundant …and being in Europe made not a blind bit of difference did it. Fortunately we had a major industry on our doorstep in the form of PT steelworks which helped absorb some of those made redundant.
Since then Fords Bridgend has closed…Zimmer Biomet is closing…highly paid skilled jobs….and what will replace them? Would still being in Europe help the situation? I don’t think it would.
We are currently being driven by eco zealots who can’t see further than the end of their nose. I notice even they are saying this was badly planned and they don’t want to see mass unemployment with little or no hope for the people of Port Talbot.
Well….they would say that wouldn’t they now’s it’s accountability time.
Port Talbot Tata on 11:07 - Jan 20 with 628 viewsmax936

Port Talbot Tata on 10:48 - Jan 20 by Wingstandwood

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-35931414

The ex-First Sea Lord and Chief of U.K Naval Staff is fully aware what would happen if the U.K had to endure a naval blockade in times of a major conflict.

QUOTE: "Lord West: 'Steel important strategically'.

We gonna rely on Indian and Chinese Steel now apparently and who are they allies of

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Port Talbot Tata on 12:26 - Jan 20 with 591 viewsswan65split

Port Talbot Tata on 10:01 - Jan 20 by onehunglow

South Wales became prosperous with the dirties ,dangerous jobs imaginable.
Ideally, nobody should have gone underground to earn a living .
Coal led to steel which formed Port Talbot ,as we know it.
Without it ,there is nothing . Other cleaner jobs? Where ?
South Wales has hardly been central to the thoughts of successive governments . Forget this Cardiff talking shop.
Job losses of this scale in the London area would see national action on a massive scale

I worked there from 1966-1968 and then it was clearly overmanned but it proved jobs for most and when the jobs go on an industrial area,they are never replaced .

POTY!

It hasnt been overmanned for over 30 years , the sad thing is that the 2.5k jobs plus is probably 3k families affected, with children! its their future thats also been neglected by Govt.

and that is added to the decline the area has seen this last decade.
Port Talbot Tata on 12:26 - Jan 20 with 589 viewsKilkennyjack

Port Talbot Tata on 11:05 - Jan 20 by Luther27

Different times Res. Looking back to the days BP Llandarcy closed…BP Baglan closed …Fords Swansea closed . A lot of people made redundant …and being in Europe made not a blind bit of difference did it. Fortunately we had a major industry on our doorstep in the form of PT steelworks which helped absorb some of those made redundant.
Since then Fords Bridgend has closed…Zimmer Biomet is closing…highly paid skilled jobs….and what will replace them? Would still being in Europe help the situation? I don’t think it would.
We are currently being driven by eco zealots who can’t see further than the end of their nose. I notice even they are saying this was badly planned and they don’t want to see mass unemployment with little or no hope for the people of Port Talbot.
Well….they would say that wouldn’t they now’s it’s accountability time.

The Tories have had their hands on the levers of power for 14 years.

Arguing about green tech is like arguing about the merits of computers. Pointless.

If our uk government gave a toss, they would nationalise steel today in Port Talbot.
Then put in the huge investments needed to give it the modern greener future it deserves.
New sustainable long term jobs in Port Talbot.
National security depends in it.

Tata have chosen to place their green investment in the Nederlands.
The Nederlands is in the EU of course.

Welcome to Boris Johnson’s Brexit. Liar.

Beware of the Risen People

Port Talbot Tata on 13:03 - Jan 20 with 565 viewsonehunglow

Port Talbot Tata on 12:26 - Jan 20 by swan65split

It hasnt been overmanned for over 30 years , the sad thing is that the 2.5k jobs plus is probably 3k families affected, with children! its their future thats also been neglected by Govt.

and that is added to the decline the area has seen this last decade.

“Was”

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Port Talbot Tata on 13:04 - Jan 20 with 565 viewsLuther27

Port Talbot Tata on 12:26 - Jan 20 by Kilkennyjack

The Tories have had their hands on the levers of power for 14 years.

Arguing about green tech is like arguing about the merits of computers. Pointless.

If our uk government gave a toss, they would nationalise steel today in Port Talbot.
Then put in the huge investments needed to give it the modern greener future it deserves.
New sustainable long term jobs in Port Talbot.
National security depends in it.

Tata have chosen to place their green investment in the Nederlands.
The Nederlands is in the EU of course.

Welcome to Boris Johnson’s Brexit. Liar.

Dutch TATA blast furnace upgrades are still the equivalent polluters that they are shutting down here. The virgin steel we’ll need to import wasn’t manufactured using pixi dust is it? I find it shocking that calculation of carbon emissions on imported products…including the transportation are not included in the UK figures. Tory or Labour government will not change a thing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024