Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunday Lunch 16:31 - Mar 10 with 2594 viewsbuilthjack

We went out for Sunday Lunch today.
The place was local, and bought by someone a while ago, and they have spent an awful lot of money on it.
Nice place now.
However the food was plain, bland, and basic.
I had a chat with a couple of waitresses, they said that all the food is brought in frozen from Castell Howell. I have been told this happens in many places now.
It should be banned.
If they can’t buy fresh ingredients, veg, meat etc, and knock up some nice deserts, they shouldn’t be in the business.
Rant over, we won’t be going back there.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sunday Lunch on 16:55 - Mar 10 with 1672 viewsTogg

It's honestly not good enough. Eating and drinking out is so expensive in the UK now...you at least expect fresh ingredients and a chef who can cook. I'm sure theres plenty of decent places you can try in Builth Wells area but like you say give this place a wide berth!
Sunday Lunch on 17:11 - Mar 10 with 1650 viewsonehunglow

Sunday Lunch on 16:55 - Mar 10 by Togg

It's honestly not good enough. Eating and drinking out is so expensive in the UK now...you at least expect fresh ingredients and a chef who can cook. I'm sure theres plenty of decent places you can try in Builth Wells area but like you say give this place a wide berth!

We like going out to eat but ,let’s face it,best food is at home.
We go out for ambience .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Sunday Lunch on 18:06 - Mar 10 with 1599 viewsWingstandwood

Yes it is 100% true to say that many eating/dining establishments do indeed have a very large 'walk-in' refrigerator that's unseen and out of sight located in the main food preparation/cooking area to the rear of the main dining area. Ask any honest or retired chef and you will be told this.

The food is not as fresh and unprepared as what many people sometimes tend to believe!

Argus!

Sunday Lunch on 18:13 - Mar 10 with 1588 viewsWingstandwood

And another little known fact is Whitbread owns Beefeater and Brewers Faye chains etc.

And there was me (once) thinking that it was only about one product i.e. "Whitbread Bitter".

Argus!

Sunday Lunch on 18:17 - Mar 10 with 1577 viewsWingstandwood

Sorry for hogging up the thread and being a bit off subject i.e. News about The Grape And Olive. It is to reopen!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/abandoned-skyscraper-restaurant-un

Argus!

Sunday Lunch on 18:22 - Mar 10 with 1565 viewsbuilthjack

Sunday Lunch on 16:55 - Mar 10 by Togg

There are some goed places around Builth yes.
Good fresh honest food. That’s all I ask.
Not frozen shite heated up.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sunday Lunch on 18:45 - Mar 10 with 1527 viewsmajorraglan

Sunday Lunch on 18:13 - Mar 10 by Wingstandwood

And another little known fact is Whitbread owns Beefeater and Brewers Faye chains etc.

And there was me (once) thinking that it was only about one product i.e. "Whitbread Bitter".

They also own Premer Inn hence the reason they are often core located.
Sunday Lunch on 18:46 - Mar 10 with 1522 viewsTogg

Sunday Lunch on 18:22 - Mar 10 by builthjack

There are some goed places around Builth yes.
Good fresh honest food. That’s all I ask.
Not frozen shite heated up.

I don't mind going to a chain and having pre prepared food. The old Brains pubs are very good at it. However if I go for a proper foodie food like 'El Pescador' I expect a cut above, which to be fair Pescador is. Some things are pre prepared, especially sauces which need time to marinate.
[Post edited 10 Mar 18:47]
Login to get fewer ads

Sunday Lunch on 18:58 - Mar 10 with 1489 viewsWingstandwood

Sunday Lunch on 18:45 - Mar 10 by majorraglan

It's crazy how a well known FTSE company can own a lot more outside of the specific sector that it was actually famous for.

EMI used to own Golden Egg restaurants chain. I remember Johnny Lydon mentioning that in an interview.

Argus!

Sunday Lunch on 19:02 - Mar 10 with 1477 viewsDr_Winston

The hospitality industry has taken an absolute battering during and since Covid, especially over staff retention and energy prices. Having a few frozen ingredients as part of a meal may be the only way a restaurant can keep the prices down and remain in business.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Sunday Lunch on 19:15 - Mar 10 with 1445 viewsonehunglow

Good food cooked properly loads little flavour or nitrician when reheated from frozen.
Average Joe would not know fresh peas from frozen peas

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Sunday Lunch on 19:27 - Mar 10 with 1422 viewsWingstandwood

Sunday Lunch on 19:15 - Mar 10 by onehunglow

Good food cooked properly loads little flavour or nitrician when reheated from frozen.
Average Joe would not know fresh peas from frozen peas

You cannot beat home cooked gravy made from swede stock, meat fat, flour and gravy browning.

It's far better than what I've had served up in restaurants, which I guess tends to be gravy granules out of a sachet or container with tap water added. There again I reckon making gravy the traditional and slower home made way would be far too time consuming and a real pain for a restaurant with many customers to feed.

Argus!

Sunday Lunch on 19:28 - Mar 10 with 1420 viewsmajorraglan

Sunday Lunch on 18:46 - Mar 10 by Togg

I don't mind going to a chain and having pre prepared food. The old Brains pubs are very good at it. However if I go for a proper foodie food like 'El Pescador' I expect a cut above, which to be fair Pescador is. Some things are pre prepared, especially sauces which need time to marinate.
[Post edited 10 Mar 18:47]

100%.
If a restaurant serves decent food which is proportionate to the price generally speaking it will do ok. I don’t expect pay a la carte prices at a pub chain nor do I expect pub chain food in a “proper restaurant.”
Sunday Lunch on 19:38 - Mar 10 with 1405 viewsGwyn737

Sunday Lunch on 18:45 - Mar 10 by majorraglan

They also owned Costa Coffee till a few years back.
Sunday Lunch on 19:47 - Mar 10 with 1382 viewscontroversial_jack

I was recently in Krakow. Having a meal there was completely different to here. Good ingredients, well cooked, and fast service with seemingly enough staff to serve, all at reasonable prices too.

Eating out here is the complete opposite, and what's noticeable is the apparent lack of staff and therefore, slow service.

Restaurants here are out to make as much profit for as little expenditure as possible. I don't buy the sob stories about increased staff wages and overheads etc, it's just greed
Sunday Lunch on 19:56 - Mar 10 with 1364 viewsGwyn737

Sunday Lunch on 19:47 - Mar 10 by controversial_jack

I was recently in Krakow. Having a meal there was completely different to here. Good ingredients, well cooked, and fast service with seemingly enough staff to serve, all at reasonable prices too.

Eating out here is the complete opposite, and what's noticeable is the apparent lack of staff and therefore, slow service.

Restaurants here are out to make as much profit for as little expenditure as possible. I don't buy the sob stories about increased staff wages and overheads etc, it's just greed

You don’t think costs are higher in Poland?
Sunday Lunch on 20:59 - Mar 10 with 1316 viewsmajorraglan

Sunday Lunch on 19:47 - Mar 10 by controversial_jack

I was out there last month, it’s a lovely city and I really enjoyed. We ate at a variety of different establishments and we had great food, great service at reasonable prices.

You may be right about the greed, but I have no doubt that high overheads are a big issue for many cafes, restaurants and pubs. Rent, rates and energy costs are massive issues, just look at our high streets. Minimum wage in Poland is £5 vs £10 soon to be £11.44 here.

Poland certainly looks like a country on the up, Krakow has a new impressive road network, the train network was modern, efficient and very reasonable (£3 from the airport to the city centre).
Sunday Lunch on 21:05 - Mar 10 with 1296 viewscontroversial_jack

Sunday Lunch on 20:59 - Mar 10 by majorraglan

I was out there last month, it’s a lovely city and I really enjoyed. We ate at a variety of different establishments and we had great food, great service at reasonable prices.

You may be right about the greed, but I have no doubt that high overheads are a big issue for many cafes, restaurants and pubs. Rent, rates and energy costs are massive issues, just look at our high streets. Minimum wage in Poland is £5 vs £10 soon to be £11.44 here.

Poland certainly looks like a country on the up, Krakow has a new impressive road network, the train network was modern, efficient and very reasonable (£3 from the airport to the city centre).

I have had better dining experiences in Europe than I have here. The ingredients seem better - not frozen crap, it's all well cooked, decent portions and quick service. Our restaurants are certainly doing something wrong. Yes, overheads have risen, but not to justify the rise in prices and cut backs in staff
Sunday Lunch on 00:42 - Mar 11 with 1217 viewsRobbie

Caught up with a mate last week , waffled on about the old days etc .

Old times sake called into The Hanbury on the Kingsway . £4 .40 for a pint of Carling , wow .
One drink and left , appreciate the owners are trying to tidy the place up and improve it .

The jump in prices across the range is an issue for many customers , some will walk away .

Bag of chips in my local chippie in now over three quid , prices must come down maybe .

Weatherspoons were still banging out cut price meal deals / cheaper drinks and the footfall appealed to the public from what I could see .

Going out now on a Special occasion is a lottery where you end up and pay .
15 notes spent on a pizza on Wind Street recently , served on a cold plate , food was tepid .
Sunday Lunch on 07:28 - Mar 11 with 1141 viewsbuilthjack

Sunday Lunch on 00:42 - Mar 11 by Robbie

Caught up with a mate last week , waffled on about the old days etc .

Old times sake called into The Hanbury on the Kingsway . £4 .40 for a pint of Carling , wow .
One drink and left , appreciate the owners are trying to tidy the place up and improve it .

The jump in prices across the range is an issue for many customers , some will walk away .

Bag of chips in my local chippie in now over three quid , prices must come down maybe .

Weatherspoons were still banging out cut price meal deals / cheaper drinks and the footfall appealed to the public from what I could see .

Going out now on a Special occasion is a lottery where you end up and pay .
15 notes spent on a pizza on Wind Street recently , served on a cold plate , food was tepid .

Over 3 quid for chips. £3.20 actually.
You get around 70 portions of chips from a 25kg sack.
A sack will cost a chippy a maximum of £10.
Say 15p a portion. Obviously oil and expensive overheads on top. But can’t see it costing more than a quid all told. Big profit.
Maybe that’s why the local chippy owner, who works hard, is in a million pound house and drives a £140k vehicle.

Sunday Lunch on 10:51 - Mar 11 with 1085 viewscontroversial_jack

Spoons food is generally awful with small portions
Sunday Lunch on 16:40 - Mar 11 with 966 viewsmajorraglan

Sunday Lunch on 10:51 - Mar 11 by controversial_jack

Spoons food is generally awful with small portions

I agree, but you know what you’re getting and it’s not costing an arm and a leg.
Sunday Lunch on 17:04 - Mar 11 with 950 viewscontroversial_jack

Sunday Lunch on 16:40 - Mar 11 by majorraglan

I agree, but you know what you’re getting and it’s not costing an arm and a leg.

Yes I certainly do, which is why I generally avoid it unless i am out on the beer
Sunday Lunch on 00:58 - Mar 12 with 834 viewsRobbie

Agree when you go to Weatherspoons , you know the product , went there few weeks back for breakfast , had builders in at home , electrics had to be isolated , no big deal .

Tables were cleaned as per customer visited , service was prompt and the food was fine .
Decent coffee as a freebie to keep visitors there helped , I used that option many times .

Pay your money , take your choice , I had no complaints , £6 for endless coffee and a passable brekkie , done the job .
Sunday Lunch on 06:57 - Mar 12 with 797 viewsTogg

Sunday Lunch on 00:58 - Mar 12 by Robbie

Agree when you go to Weatherspoons , you know the product , went there few weeks back for breakfast , had builders in at home , electrics had to be isolated , no big deal .

Tables were cleaned as per customer visited , service was prompt and the food was fine .
Decent coffee as a freebie to keep visitors there helped , I used that option many times .

Pay your money , take your choice , I had no complaints , £6 for endless coffee and a passable brekkie , done the job .

Last time I had a gammon steak in the Maerdy it was very good and a lovely pint of San Miguel for a decent price too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024