Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts post Birmingham 10:22 - Mar 30 with 8149 viewshopekillsyou

Looking at our record since Marti took over, If we average points per game, it’s 35 over 25 games or 1.4 points per game.
On that basis we would have 54.6 points ( rather than 43) after 39 games which would make us 10th ( where Middlesbrough currently sit…) and long shots for the playoffs.
So ( deep breath…) assuming we are now going to be safe this season ( I think we need 53 points to be absolutely sure and if we maintain the current points per game ratio we should get there) we only need marginal changes to the squad to become a promotion chasing side.
Impressed by Bacuna yesterday - he stood out in an otherwise poor Birmingham side. Good role model for Armstrong who was surprisingly disappointing ( well…apart from playing a part in setting up THAT goal…)
Should Marti play Anderson, Chair and Willpck together - all players who want a lot of the ball? I’m not sure. I guess a good problem for a manager to have.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:50 - Mar 31 with 1155 viewsgazza1

Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:43 - Mar 31 by ParkRoyalR

Gazza,
Need to be careful when giving stating your opinions are facts,
Only a few days a go you stated as a fact Marti would start Jack Colback against Birmingham.

I cant get all my prediction correct PRR......all I would say is that playing Field in his position basically did no favours to Field nor the team.

Why he did it is up for debate but maybe he decided to keep him fully fit for Swansea for whatever reason. What I will predict is the Colback will start at the Swans.

PS - What i did predict was the LD would not play - guess what??
[Post edited 31 Mar 13:52]
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:02 - Mar 31 with 1098 viewsParkRoyalR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:50 - Mar 31 by gazza1

I cant get all my prediction correct PRR......all I would say is that playing Field in his position basically did no favours to Field nor the team.

Why he did it is up for debate but maybe he decided to keep him fully fit for Swansea for whatever reason. What I will predict is the Colback will start at the Swans.

PS - What i did predict was the LD would not play - guess what??
[Post edited 31 Mar 13:52]

Guess what?

50/50 heh, 1 out of 2 of your facts came in!

Field was excellent and Frey was......well I'll leave that to one of your statements of fact, Northern very kindly referred to his performance as 'ineffective'.

Colback will likely start at Swansea only as Hadeyn likely injured and Dykes will likely start as Friday was as poor a display from a Centre Forward I've seen since Austin away at Peterborough.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:05 - Mar 31 with 1099 viewsdaveB

Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:02 - Mar 31 by ParkRoyalR

Guess what?

Field was excellent and Frey was......well I'll leave that to one of your statements of fact, Northern very kindly referred to his performance as 'ineffective'.

Colback will likely start at Swansea only as Hadeyn likely injured and Dykes will likely start as Friday was as poor a display from a Centre Forward I've seen since Austin away at Peterborough.

It'll be Armstrong starting tomorrow, he won't go with Dykes imo
I think Hodge and Smyth will start as well
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:15 - Mar 31 with 1065 viewsWestonsuperR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 10:27 - Mar 30 by paulparker

Marti has done well but I wasn’t that impressed with us yesterday bar the goal I thought we lacked intensity and composure and we couldn’t of moaned if that game finished 1-1
What I will say with Marti is he has us set up not to concede and we do look a hell of lot more organised in defence and midfield, one thing I do hope is that we start doing something with corners as they are quite poor and have been for sometime
Also plus points for ditching Dozzell & Kakay though

Forwards have been a massive problem since the start of the season to go in with Armstrong, Dykes and Kelman was criminal, Frey not added a great more. Considering this Marti has worked a minor miracle to pull us out of the mire, no complaints from me.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:25 - Mar 31 with 1039 viewsgazza1

Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:02 - Mar 31 by ParkRoyalR

Guess what?

Field was excellent - really!!! He was pretty average 1st half, improved 2nd half. But then again you are always 'waxing lyrical' about LD!!!!(4 goals this season!!) - did we sign him as a winger or CF.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:32 - Mar 31 with 1007 viewsParkRoyalR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:05 - Mar 31 by daveB

It'll be Armstrong starting tomorrow, he won't go with Dykes imo
I think Hodge and Smyth will start as well

Possibly, said some time ago that if we were to get out of this Marti needed to have height and a strong spine to the team and to play his battlers in Dunne, Field and Dykes.

All three were being heavily criticized on this forum at the time and I stand by the above.

I think Armstrong is an ideal 2nd striker to stretch teams in the 2nd Half when we need a goal but his hold-up play on Friday was a real weakness and the ball was coming straight back up the pitch. We were fortunate Jimmy Dunne stepped up as thought that game was going away from us.

I think Frey is your go to if you need a late goal and your bringing Smyth on and going more direct into the box and not playing through your 10's (bringing off Frey to bring on Smyth to supply Armstrong makes no sense to me).

I'd start Dykes with Chair / Andersen / Willock if all fit, I think this starting formation gives us the option to bring on Smyth, Frey and Armstong later in the game.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 19:48 - Mar 31 with 777 viewsbaz_qpr

A couple of points on things in this thread.

The Manager is a different class

Anderson had an off day but is a class above and still contributed

Paal has been out of form for a month or two and is lacking a bit of confidence, but was one of the best players first half of the season. Chair is also off form and I think it effects both of them when either is not at their best and neither is at the moment.

I've seen enough from Frey to be confident he will be alright, first couple of games he was playing on adrenaline the last couple he has looked leggy, its showing he has had so little football again probably not helped that Dykes has been so poor so not pushing him.

So assuming we survive, We have toi assume we will be without Chair next season and probably Willock. So I think we will be looking for a Winger / attacking midfielder if not two (not convinced by Smyth as anything other than an impact sub) We will need to swap Dykes out for another Striker and at least one Keeper. However I think securing Hayden on a perm would also be one of my first priorities if we can do it.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 22:59 - Mar 31 with 566 viewsdaveB

Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:32 - Mar 31 by ParkRoyalR

Possibly, said some time ago that if we were to get out of this Marti needed to have height and a strong spine to the team and to play his battlers in Dunne, Field and Dykes.

All three were being heavily criticized on this forum at the time and I stand by the above.

I think Armstrong is an ideal 2nd striker to stretch teams in the 2nd Half when we need a goal but his hold-up play on Friday was a real weakness and the ball was coming straight back up the pitch. We were fortunate Jimmy Dunne stepped up as thought that game was going away from us.

I think Frey is your go to if you need a late goal and your bringing Smyth on and going more direct into the box and not playing through your 10's (bringing off Frey to bring on Smyth to supply Armstrong makes no sense to me).

I'd start Dykes with Chair / Andersen / Willock if all fit, I think this starting formation gives us the option to bring on Smyth, Frey and Armstong later in the game.

I think Dykes performance against Sunderland will cost him a starting place. With the quick turnaround I don't see Willock or Anderson starting this one either
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts post Birmingham on 23:58 - Mar 31 with 491 viewsCiderwithRsie

Plenty of praise for Cifuentes as coach on this thread, and quite right too.

Worth also noting (given the problem areas in the team which we can all see) that recruitment since he came in has also been pretty impressive; no real duds in the last transfer window and a couple of little gems.

Don't know who's responsible, and there's still the question of money, but it bodes well for next year if we stay up (which I'm not taking for granted just yet.)
Thoughts post Birmingham on 05:45 - Apr 1 with 417 viewsVancouverHoop

Thoughts post Birmingham on 08:39 - Mar 31 by gazza1

Paal is one of our best footballers.....and a very decent player.

I concur.

And, if a replacement were needed, Larkeche has looked up for it. We've greater issues than left back, most at the other end of the pitch and between the sticks.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024