Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defensive coach 13:01 - Oct 7 with 3310 viewsSharpy

Who is it at present ?

Once you`ve had black, you never go back !

Defensive coach on 13:07 - Oct 7 with 3305 viewsClive_Anderson

Defensive coach on 13:12 - Oct 7 with 3283 viewsSharpy

More than likely right.

I would`t mind having Gary neville here to do the job.

Once you`ve had black, you never go back !

Defensive coach on 13:12 - Oct 7 with 3283 viewsQPR1882

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/873/MI0002873044.jpg?partner=all
Defensive coach on 14:33 - Oct 7 with 3186 viewsTGRRRSSS

Don't we have soeone for every other bl00dy thing?

Don't we have 2 goalkeepers (ex) on the backroom staff?
Defensive coach on 16:00 - Oct 7 with 3107 viewsINFIRMARY

Anton Ferdinand !

Poll: F@ck OFF Arry Now

Defensive coach on 16:19 - Oct 7 with 3076 viewsStanisgod

Karl Ready

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Defensive coach on 16:39 - Oct 7 with 3039 viewsDesertBoot

How about our barrister in Faurlin-gate?

Wish I could be like David Watts

Defensive coach on 16:56 - Oct 7 with 3008 viewsN12Hoop

Defensive coach on 13:07 - Oct 7 by Clive_Anderson

Best laugh i've had all weekend.
Seriously though, our defensive coach is that legend Gus Caesar I believe.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Login to get fewer ads

Defensive coach on 17:08 - Oct 7 with 2985 viewslosethedrum

Zesh Rehman ?
Defensive coach on 17:15 - Oct 7 with 2963 viewsTHEBUSH

The defensive coach at Stoke is our own Gerry Francis, but I don't think in a million years he'd come back to us !!
Was watching the Liverpool v Stoke match and both teams had proper centre backs.
Defensive coach on 18:17 - Oct 7 with 2910 viewstinhead

with the number of hamstring injuries we have at the moment, its more likely to be Fitz Hall!

Puny God!

Defensive coach on 18:37 - Oct 7 with 2882 viewsClubber

Defensive coach on 17:15 - Oct 7 by THEBUSH

The defensive coach at Stoke is our own Gerry Francis, but I don't think in a million years he'd come back to us !!
Was watching the Liverpool v Stoke match and both teams had proper centre backs.

I would have him back as manager at the drop of a hat. ' A good team is like a house, you need good foundations ' Was one of his comments . We went through god knows how many draws when he first came ,till he got the defence right . We then beat Man city 4 0 (Impey debut i think or full)and lift off.

"My prediction?. . . . . . . . . pain"

Defensive coach on 18:45 - Oct 7 with 2868 viewsNeil_SI

On a more serious note...

When Mark Hughes first arrived back in January — the first thing he and his team worked on was the defensive side of our play. Not just our defence, but the entire team and had them operating in tandem.

It was no frills stuff, pretty basic two banks of four, men behind the ball, but with decent shape and each man knowing pretty much what his responsibility was in the context of play.

On a very basic level, that's the one thing I expect Hughes and his team to bring to the table and I'm a little bit surprised that they've not gone back to basics. It's this part of the play that is totally lacking at the moment and it's the easiest bit for them to do. Maybe they will concentrate on this once again over the two week break, it'll make us a little less creative and forward thinking, but it will provide a foundation and building block for them to progress again.
Defensive coach on 18:46 - Oct 7 with 2868 viewsBirminghamR

Defensive coach on 18:37 - Oct 7 by Clubber

I would have him back as manager at the drop of a hat. ' A good team is like a house, you need good foundations ' Was one of his comments . We went through god knows how many draws when he first came ,till he got the defence right . We then beat Man city 4 0 (Impey debut i think or full)and lift off.

I hear Gus Ceasar and Ernie Howe (honourable exception his goal upton park v West Ham in cup) and running things!!!!
Defensive coach on 19:14 - Oct 7 with 2840 viewsbaz_qpr

Defensive coach on 18:45 - Oct 7 by Neil_SI

On a more serious note...

When Mark Hughes first arrived back in January — the first thing he and his team worked on was the defensive side of our play. Not just our defence, but the entire team and had them operating in tandem.

It was no frills stuff, pretty basic two banks of four, men behind the ball, but with decent shape and each man knowing pretty much what his responsibility was in the context of play.

On a very basic level, that's the one thing I expect Hughes and his team to bring to the table and I'm a little bit surprised that they've not gone back to basics. It's this part of the play that is totally lacking at the moment and it's the easiest bit for them to do. Maybe they will concentrate on this once again over the two week break, it'll make us a little less creative and forward thinking, but it will provide a foundation and building block for them to progress again.

Well we dont seem to have much of a pattern of play going forward, surely if we are going to work on defence then we need to do it with attacking players not defensive ones as prior to last Monday we had scored 3 goals the smallest amount in the division.

As to the two banks of 4 we did not win a single game that way it was only when his hand was forced into playing a 5/3 that we begun to get positive results.

Your point Neil that we look pretty unorganised is a fair one, but we've played 3 formations including the dreaded 4-1-4-1 we need to settle on a formation and a pattern of play for both defence and attack.
Defensive coach on 19:33 - Oct 7 with 2810 viewsQPRJennyxxx

Defensive coach on 19:14 - Oct 7 by baz_qpr

Well we dont seem to have much of a pattern of play going forward, surely if we are going to work on defence then we need to do it with attacking players not defensive ones as prior to last Monday we had scored 3 goals the smallest amount in the division.

As to the two banks of 4 we did not win a single game that way it was only when his hand was forced into playing a 5/3 that we begun to get positive results.

Your point Neil that we look pretty unorganised is a fair one, but we've played 3 formations including the dreaded 4-1-4-1 we need to settle on a formation and a pattern of play for both defence and attack.

Wow, a post on here with people who actually seem to know what they are talking about! don't get me wrong, i don't agree with all of it and having not been to a game this season so far i'm perhaps not the best qualified to comment on our current shape/pattern of play. however agree from what i have seen with Neil, that the basics last year were better, hard to break down etc...

Baz, valid though your points probably are, my personal opinion as a potential coach/manager in the next few years are that focusing on pattern of play in an attacking sense can give an air of predictability, defensively i think it's an absolute must. would encourage individuality and flexibilty going forward, which i think would benefit qpr right now with the dangerous players available.

Maybe i'm just biassed as pattern of play is the most boring training session you can ever have (would listen if i was being paid), this is where i would generally talk my self from a starting berth onto the bench or even the reserves. wasn't a great scholar myself.

mmmmmm Lee Cook xxxxxxxxx

Defensive coach on 19:47 - Oct 7 with 2781 viewsNeil_SI

Defensive coach on 19:14 - Oct 7 by baz_qpr

I don't disagree that we need to work on our pattern play going forward, but, that's always been the case and is a lot harder to do than the defensive side. So to some degree, I sympathise when this part doesn't progress as quickly as one would like, more so, when you've signed so many new players. Good attacking play does require a settled side that understands each other on almost a telepathic level.

But you also start from the back; pattern play going forward is all about how you defend and launch and build attacks from the base of your team. It's often about how well you recycle possession and when you choose to do that, or go for it on the counter, depending on where the turnover of possession occurs. And it's here, both in defence and attack, that we seem a bit unsure of ourselves or lacking in the quality we need to exhort control and take a proper grip on matches.

The two banks of four comment was just a phrase, because we did stumble across a formation that worked, but rather, regardless of the formation, we got into shape quickly and had men behind the ball whenever we lost it, and when the ball moved from side to side, each player knew where they should be and whose responsibility it was to press and pick up players. Right now, we look a bit wide open, we're not tucking in or getting narrow when we lose the ball, so we're causing ourselves all sorts of problems and leaving too much space to cover as the other team attacks.

We can do the defensive side with attacking players, no problem with that. Whoever plays just needs to know what they're supposed to be doing at any given time.

Yesterday we played Mbia in front of the defence to protect them, yet, he barely got close to any West Brom player and seemed unclear who he was supposed to be closing down or marking and that trend mimicked itself across the defence and some of the other midfield players. The save that Julio Cesar made just before half time, which was a fantastic one and kept us in it, saw a West Brom player pick up the ball well outside the box, turn on it, look around and then just run and run and run forward unchecked before a routine through ball found its way through.

In that period, there was ample opportunity for one of our players to take responsibility and close that player down. But there was an air of hesitancy and in a way of "erm who is supposed to be marking him? Me?" about it all.

In the top end of the pitch, how we deal with winning the ball will dictate how we attack. There's a few basics we can employ, especially if we have Granero and Faurlin on the pitch. Both recycle and use the ball well. Faurlin is great at the base of the midfield, retaining possession in there, and Granero does a similar job further up. If they can find the right balls and move the play at the right tempo, they will be able to get the wide men in and behind the opposition's defence and turn them around (something we've not seen us do in a long time)...and then it's about getting numbers in the box and support, and having the courage to put a cross in and gamble. If it breaks down; here's the context: who goes where, who tracks back and where is each man supposed to go quickly to deal with a turnover of possession.
Defensive coach on 19:56 - Oct 7 with 2762 viewsQPRJennyxxx

Defensive coach on 19:47 - Oct 7 by Neil_SI

I don't disagree that we need to work on our pattern play going forward, but, that's always been the case and is a lot harder to do than the defensive side. So to some degree, I sympathise when this part doesn't progress as quickly as one would like, more so, when you've signed so many new players. Good attacking play does require a settled side that understands each other on almost a telepathic level.

But you also start from the back; pattern play going forward is all about how you defend and launch and build attacks from the base of your team. It's often about how well you recycle possession and when you choose to do that, or go for it on the counter, depending on where the turnover of possession occurs. And it's here, both in defence and attack, that we seem a bit unsure of ourselves or lacking in the quality we need to exhort control and take a proper grip on matches.

The two banks of four comment was just a phrase, because we did stumble across a formation that worked, but rather, regardless of the formation, we got into shape quickly and had men behind the ball whenever we lost it, and when the ball moved from side to side, each player knew where they should be and whose responsibility it was to press and pick up players. Right now, we look a bit wide open, we're not tucking in or getting narrow when we lose the ball, so we're causing ourselves all sorts of problems and leaving too much space to cover as the other team attacks.

We can do the defensive side with attacking players, no problem with that. Whoever plays just needs to know what they're supposed to be doing at any given time.

Yesterday we played Mbia in front of the defence to protect them, yet, he barely got close to any West Brom player and seemed unclear who he was supposed to be closing down or marking and that trend mimicked itself across the defence and some of the other midfield players. The save that Julio Cesar made just before half time, which was a fantastic one and kept us in it, saw a West Brom player pick up the ball well outside the box, turn on it, look around and then just run and run and run forward unchecked before a routine through ball found its way through.

In that period, there was ample opportunity for one of our players to take responsibility and close that player down. But there was an air of hesitancy and in a way of "erm who is supposed to be marking him? Me?" about it all.

In the top end of the pitch, how we deal with winning the ball will dictate how we attack. There's a few basics we can employ, especially if we have Granero and Faurlin on the pitch. Both recycle and use the ball well. Faurlin is great at the base of the midfield, retaining possession in there, and Granero does a similar job further up. If they can find the right balls and move the play at the right tempo, they will be able to get the wide men in and behind the opposition's defence and turn them around (something we've not seen us do in a long time)...and then it's about getting numbers in the box and support, and having the courage to put a cross in and gamble. If it breaks down; here's the context: who goes where, who tracks back and where is each man supposed to go quickly to deal with a turnover of possession.

agree with most of that neil, think a settled side/formation would see a lot of that fall into place.

mmmmmm Lee Cook xxxxxxxxx

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024