Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? 11:24 - Nov 18 with 4941 viewsBasingstokeR

Or did they just play comptentently and we played awful?

Finding it hard to stomach the otherwise good BBC report by Phil McNulty as he's lashing superlatives on Saints, when IMHO we would've lost to almost anyone yesterday playing like that. Norwich excellent yesterday? Almost certainly. Saints excellent? If that's them being excellent they're absolute certs to go down IMHO.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:33 - Nov 18 with 3906 viewsTacticalR

They played a more coherent short-passing game, and once they were a two goals ahead they were in a position to relax and play better. We didn't deal with Puncheon either.

Air hostess clique

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:35 - Nov 18 with 3895 viewsSpiritofGregory

Saints need to wise up if they think they've turned a corner, they won because we were awful.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:36 - Nov 18 with 3891 viewsBasingstokeR

Coherent yes, competent yes - excellent? If to the neutral Saints looked excellent we must've played better than I thought.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:37 - Nov 18 with 3888 viewsNeil_SI

They played very well and were tidy in and around our goal, where they played lots of nice interchanges and fast one or two touch football. I was impressed, even if at times they could be a little clumsy or naive, but you'd expect that from a side just promoted from the Championship and who have come as far as they have done so quickly.

I enjoyed their performance, they were worth the win. They looked light at the back though and conceded an atrocious goal to us, albeit, we were never really in a position to test them thoroughly and had we examined them further, we'd have surely found some success.

They will need to do some business in the transfer window to improve their defence, otherwise they may struggle to stay up.

But really what it boils down to was identity and style. They, Reading and Norwich all had some form of system and style, often just simple approaches, but playing to their strengths and that has been enough all season to down QPR.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:38 - Nov 18 with 3885 viewsNorthernr

Southampton were fine. They maintained possession with a simple short passing game, they always had two or three men available to receive a pass, and they committed bodies forward to attacks. QPR did none of this. Southampton smelt blood early on, went in front, and the confidence flowed through them. They were decent, but didn't do anything more than the basics competently and that was more than enough to take care of us.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:38 - Nov 18 with 3885 viewssmegma

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:35 - Nov 18 by SpiritofGregory

Saints need to wise up if they think they've turned a corner, they won because we were awful.

They didn't win because we were awful , they won because they had a game plan, stuck by it and should've won by more. They out thought and out fought us in every area of the pitch. Their short passing game had us chasing shadows for long periods. They also had 11 players fighting to keep their manager in a job and themselves in the PL. The fact we were awful is a side issue.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:42 - Nov 18 with 3871 viewsted_hendrix

I thought the bloke Lallana was superb, I also thought we should have a done a better job on Lambert who was winning headers with ease.
What stuck out for me though was their attitude on the pitch and the way they were 'playing for their Manager', they all seemed organised and had a grasp on what they had to do.
For a team in the shit like us they had a different approach to the game, a more positive way of doing the simple things on the pitch.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:42 - Nov 18 with 3868 viewshoopstilidie

Saints can score goals but are woeful at the back.
We are woeful at the back and can't score goals.
They won.

Not a surprise.

Excellent? No
Decent? Just about

Will they stay up? Not a chance.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Login to get fewer ads

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:44 - Nov 18 with 3862 viewsSmartRs

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:38 - Nov 18 by Northernr

Southampton were fine. They maintained possession with a simple short passing game, they always had two or three men available to receive a pass, and they committed bodies forward to attacks. QPR did none of this. Southampton smelt blood early on, went in front, and the confidence flowed through them. They were decent, but didn't do anything more than the basics competently and that was more than enough to take care of us.

Southampton were also prepared to run for each other.

Bosingwa came off looking fresh as a daisy. He should be fined two weeks wages for failing to impersonate a footballer.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:49 - Nov 18 with 3849 viewsQPR1882

All 3 of their goals were down to errors from the defence ( our goal was also down to an error from their keeper )

I don't think Southampton will play better this season because they will not be ALLOWED to hold and pass the ball so easy. We were awful.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:56 - Nov 18 with 3827 viewsBasingstokeR

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:37 - Nov 18 by Neil_SI

They played very well and were tidy in and around our goal, where they played lots of nice interchanges and fast one or two touch football. I was impressed, even if at times they could be a little clumsy or naive, but you'd expect that from a side just promoted from the Championship and who have come as far as they have done so quickly.

I enjoyed their performance, they were worth the win. They looked light at the back though and conceded an atrocious goal to us, albeit, we were never really in a position to test them thoroughly and had we examined them further, we'd have surely found some success.

They will need to do some business in the transfer window to improve their defence, otherwise they may struggle to stay up.

But really what it boils down to was identity and style. They, Reading and Norwich all had some form of system and style, often just simple approaches, but playing to their strengths and that has been enough all season to down QPR.

Would you go as far as excellent Neil? Maybe I'm just being too pedantic through frustration but, I think them being described as excellent somehow devalues just how badly we played yesterday! (Bar maybe Adel, Nelson and Mackie)
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 12:11 - Nov 18 with 3806 viewsNeil_SI

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:56 - Nov 18 by BasingstokeR

Would you go as far as excellent Neil? Maybe I'm just being too pedantic through frustration but, I think them being described as excellent somehow devalues just how badly we played yesterday! (Bar maybe Adel, Nelson and Mackie)

In some places they were excellent, yes.

You have to look at the bigger picture, not just our situation, but theirs too. They were under as much pressure as we were before the match, but do not have the names of experience that we do on paper and they were away from home.

If I was their manager I would have been delighted by the performance. You can only play against what's in front of you and they seized the opportunity when presented, and they did so in a calm and collected manner and with a trust and belief in their philosophy and approach.

That doesn't mean they are an excellent side that will go on and walk themselves up the table, but in this encounter they were the superior team. I thought there was a lot of charm in their display. You could see points where they were a little bit naive or inexperienced, so they made some mistakes where better sides would have punished us even more, but that also shows they've played well and put in an encouraging effort for themselves.

I said in another thread that our core performance was not really all too dissimilar to many of our display's under Mark Hughes, but as you pointed out individuals, that tends to have been the case. One or two individuals were able to put in a performance that carried many other elements or papered over cracks in our overall display. Yesterday we didn't really have anybody in an attacking sense who was able to do that, as Taarabt gave an uncharacteristically all round performance where you saw him coming back and doing some defensive work for the team in order to try and get on the ball and get things going.

I said at the start of the season that my big concern in terms of our preparation was that we never did any work on what happens when we are pressed as a unit (in terms of the type of teams we played in pre-season), and that we would see whether anything had been done on the training ground or whether the players were good enough, and the moment we have been, we've pretty much fallen apart.

The same problem then applies now. If you apply any sort of pressure on our defensive and midfield units, you'll find great success. Southampton for all their tidy football pressed us well and compressed the space that led to us either panicking or just kicking the ball the way we were facing and hoping for the best.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 12:15 - Nov 18 with 3791 viewsdodge_stoke_r

In a word NO they didnt play excellently. They put away one of the worst football teams to ever play in the premier league. F**k me, my Mrs and her palls that she goes running with would give our lot a game on yesterdays performance.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 12:17 - Nov 18 with 3786 viewsgobbles

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:38 - Nov 18 by Northernr

What they did do very well was stay positive. It would have been easy for a team in their position, when Hoilett scored, to panic. But they kept going forward.
I thought Puncheon was excellent.
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 12:34 - Nov 18 with 3744 viewsAgedR

They were no better than alright. Which says it all about us really.

I've said in another thread that I think that, despite Hughes being a lame duck, the board have invested so much in him they will still be loathe to replace him. It was business madness to bring him in on such untouchable terms (something I remember alot of us thinking of the time, as an afterthought to a genuine feeling of optimism). I also think it would be structural suicide to rip up everything that his "team" have brought to QPR PLC.

Our best hope is for a players rebellion lead by the likes of Derry and the championship team, who would become the de facto management team. This would make Hughe's tenure untenable. He may (just may) then walk of his own accord.

Away from the disastrous leadership of the first team, there have been good building blocks put in place at the club (Rigg, etc). We need to retain as much of this as possible, while losing the ringleader.

TF, Amit, Beard, etc, you're supposed to be business genuises. Now's the time to prove it, by "ridding us of this turbulent priest", without putting the club back for a generation.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:13 - Nov 18 with 3653 viewsBombay_TV

Saints strolled around unchallenged all afternoon FFS

Saints are magnificent FFS

BANJO THE MUTH FU_CKAS FFS. STROLLING AROUND UNCHALLENGED AS USUAL FPS

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:21 - Nov 18 with 3628 viewsdune

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 11:35 - Nov 18 by SpiritofGregory

The week before against Swansea we played very well and were unlucky to draw, but yes I agree you are really sh/te and we're obviously grateful for that.

http://www.westmonster.com/
Poll: Given his track record should Les Reed be allowed to appoint the next manager?

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:22 - Nov 18 with 3622 viewsdaveB

i thought southampton were pretty good, played with confidence and when we got back to 2-1 rather than sit back and waste time they went for a third goal and should have got it far sooner. they'll go down but will at least put up a fight
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:30 - Nov 18 with 3597 viewsBombay_TV

Basingstoke is 100 percent SFC FFS

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:59 - Nov 18 with 3539 viewscostasaint

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:30 - Nov 18 by Bombay_TV

Basingstoke is 100 percent SFC FFS

And Andover FFS!
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:14 - Nov 18 with 3523 viewsDENZY

You could not live with us on or off the pitch.

We did what we wanted and took the 3 points easily.

FACT.

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:18 - Nov 18 with 3508 viewsdune

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 22:59 - Nov 18 by costasaint

And Andover FFS!

And Rutland!

Poll: Given his track record should Les Reed be allowed to appoint the next manager?

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:20 - Nov 18 with 3498 viewsBombay_TV

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:14 - Nov 18 by DENZY

You could not live with us on or off the pitch.

We did what we wanted and took the 3 points easily.

FACT.

I heard one bouncer say to another in o'neils when the gaston Ramirez song started "there's fook all we can do, there's loads of them"

We sing when we want

FACT

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:23 - Nov 18 with 3480 viewsBasingstokeR

Where'd all these trolls come from?
Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:25 - Nov 18 with 3476 viewsdune

Did Saints play Excellently yesterday? on 23:23 - Nov 18 by BasingstokeR

Where'd all these trolls come from?

We are Southampon we troll where we want

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024