Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chairman Tony 21:33 - Apr 28 with 2115 viewscanaryfan

Firstly, I genuinely am sorry to see you boys go down, and don't feel any of the schadenfreude that some other morons seem to delight in. Besides, the way my team are playing at the moment there is still a good chance of my making my annual visit to Loftus Rd next season.

I just wanted to share a few observations about your chairman. Having seen him on tv today, I thought he showed what a thoroughly decent bloke he seems to be. He looked utterly bereft at the final whistle, and I don't think that was to do with the financial disappointment of relegation, but it seemed to me he felt the pain of a fan. I noted he still had the decency to raise a smile and shake the hand that was offered to him.

I must admit when he joined you I was sceptical about his motives, yet I now believe I was totally wrong. I have read some threads on here that says he has made mistakes, and whilst that may or not be true, any mistakes have undoubtedly been honest ones. Some criticism has been levelled at him for engaging in twitter too much, yet surely that is a massive positive? To interact with fans shows he is trying to understand their views.

Also, I think the fact he has backed the judgment of his managers is laudable. Regardless of the merits of choosing the right manager, he has given them all his full backing. I know there is a general consensus that MH retained his position too long (at the time he was originally appointed there weren't many outstanding candidates available) yet it was evident TF wanted some sort of stability and gave him as long as he could. When Delia appointed Glenn Roeder who nearly destroyed Norwich a few years back, she and the board backed his judgment. It was staggeringly the wrong appointment, but they made the appointment in good faith, backed him, didn't interfere, and got shot of him when it was clear it wouldn't ever work out. Give me a chairman with that ethos any day over a Russian Oligarch.

Anyway, I wish you all the best for next season. I have read a lot of fans on here who don't like the Prem as much as the championship and I agree wholeheartedly. I hate scratching around hoping to get enough draws to stay up, and celebrating a home draw against a top six club as if we've won a trophy.
Chairman Tony on 21:41 - Apr 28 with 2032 viewsloftboy

Thankyou, personally I like him, have managed to speak face to face to him this season and he seems very genuine, a very expensive training ground/academy has just got the go ahead so I think he and the backers are in for the long haul. The only mistake he has made was giving Hughes an open cheque book with his money.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Chairman Tony on 21:48 - Apr 28 with 1982 viewsAgedR

Thanks for your comments Canaryfan.

You're right, the prem for teams with our resources is no more than a race for mediocrity.

We've been down for weeks, so today was just a case if rigour mortis setting in. I've been looking forward to championship since, well since Adel missed his penalty against you lot actually.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Chairman Tony on 21:50 - Apr 28 with 1955 viewscanaryfan

Chairman Tony on 21:41 - Apr 28 by loftboy

Thankyou, personally I like him, have managed to speak face to face to him this season and he seems very genuine, a very expensive training ground/academy has just got the go ahead so I think he and the backers are in for the long haul. The only mistake he has made was giving Hughes an open cheque book with his money.

I think he is in for the long haul too. And whilst you say he made a mistake in giving MH an open cheque book, at least he was prepared to back him. When my son used to get in trouble at school, due to a particular teacher being a tw@t, I used to tell him he had to respect his position, and not the teacher (who was a tw@t). MH is a tw@t, but TF was backing the position.

Chairman Tony on 22:01 - Apr 28 with 1914 viewscanaryfan

Chairman Tony on 21:48 - Apr 28 by AgedR

Thanks for your comments Canaryfan.

You're right, the prem for teams with our resources is no more than a race for mediocrity.

We've been down for weeks, so today was just a case if rigour mortis setting in. I've been looking forward to championship since, well since Adel missed his penalty against you lot actually.

I know, it is a race for mediocrity. I found an old book of football stickers from the mid-1970's when moving house recently. The league tables (with only a handful of exceptions) showed that the vast majority of teams were in the same division as now, or had been up and down a division or so. The fact is Norwich will probably always be a top half of the championship, bottom of the Prem sort of side. Only a massive benefactor could see a move upward, or a complete mismanagement (as 2008) a move downward. Up until then it's just a matter of time before we go down for a few years, then up for a couple etc. But I can honestly say I enjoyed coming from a goal down to Walsall to win 2-1 in 2010 far more than getting a draw at home to Fulham.
Chairman Tony on 22:16 - Apr 28 with 1856 viewsCiderwithRsie

Chairman Tony on 22:01 - Apr 28 by canaryfan

I know, it is a race for mediocrity. I found an old book of football stickers from the mid-1970's when moving house recently. The league tables (with only a handful of exceptions) showed that the vast majority of teams were in the same division as now, or had been up and down a division or so. The fact is Norwich will probably always be a top half of the championship, bottom of the Prem sort of side. Only a massive benefactor could see a move upward, or a complete mismanagement (as 2008) a move downward. Up until then it's just a matter of time before we go down for a few years, then up for a couple etc. But I can honestly say I enjoyed coming from a goal down to Walsall to win 2-1 in 2010 far more than getting a draw at home to Fulham.

Couldn't agree more. The premiership was a conspiracy to corral all the money in football for the benefit of a few clubs, irrespective of the fact that the strength of football in this country was its massive base of professional clubs. You can hear the yelps and whines whenever someone - e.g. Man City - threaten to force their way in. The result is the England team we see today, because there isn't the strength in depth that the league used to have.

FWIW I always liked Norwich - good day out, nice city, decent beer, and a proper footballing side. Shame things have got arsey between the two clubs over the last couple of years, but its because clubs like ours are forced to fight for scraps
Chairman Tony on 22:16 - Apr 28 with 1846 viewsHantsR

Chairman Tony on 22:01 - Apr 28 by canaryfan

Thanks Canaryfan

When we were winning the Championship a couple of years ago, I took great care, especially with local Saints' fans, not to get carried away and crow as I've had so many ups and downs over the decades that I (we?) have learned humility.

It is only human to enjoy a little schadenfreude at the expense of those who have baited us or wronged us in some way, but I would never indulge in the childish WUM activity that our current predicament has attracted from certain quarters. There but for fortune...as the song goes!

Talking to a mate the other day, a Saints fan, he said he actually preferred supporting a side competing for promotion rather than worrying about relegation and aspiring to mid-table mediocrity. Re comments on TF, I have so much respect for the guy and hope that somewhere along the line he gets his due reward.

Go well (er, that is, apart from Grant Holt...oh, and Bradley Johnson! )
Chairman Tony on 22:19 - Apr 28 with 1829 viewsPommyhoop

Great post Canaryfan.Cheers...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Chairman Tony on 22:22 - Apr 28 with 1812 viewskropotkin41

Appreciate that Canaryfan.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

Chairman Tony on 22:25 - Apr 28 with 1793 viewsN12Hoop

AgedR: your comment " the prem for teams with our resources is no more than a race for mediocrity" sums it up brilliantly.
Other than the fact I won't get to see Remy any more and perhaps Adel, I'm not to fussed about playing in a Division where we will hopefully be in with a shout of the playoffs at least right until the last week or 2 as opposed to celebrating a goalless draw with Spurs and Man City like we've won the cup. Other than the last 5 home games last season the last 2 years have pretty sh1t. I hope we will comeback stronger.
Canary: respect for some intelligent and non WUM comments.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Chairman Tony on 01:40 - Apr 29 with 1633 viewsJAPRANGERS

Great stuff Canaryfan! This is how things should be. Rival fans discussing issues sensibly and with mutual respect.
Chairman Tony on 09:35 - Apr 29 with 1503 viewslondonscottish

Chairman Tony on 01:40 - Apr 29 by JAPRANGERS

Great stuff Canaryfan! This is how things should be. Rival fans discussing issues sensibly and with mutual respect.

Thanks Canaryfan. It's good have a sensible post from a supporter of another team after swarm of plankton who appeared on the board yesterday.

Good luck next season. It's going to be odd not to be playing Norwich. And contriving new was to drop yet more points. It's become a sort of ritual.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Chairman Tony on 09:40 - Apr 29 with 1486 viewsBasingstokeR

This has changed my opinion about Norwich fans a bit after having only really seen 'orrible stuff from them previously on that "Pinkun" thing
Chairman Tony on 12:11 - Apr 29 with 1402 viewsR_from_afar

Respect to you CanaryFan, that is a mature and thoughtful post, thanks for that. All football fans have the same affliction, we all love our clubs, so it's great to see some empathy rather than sneering, smugness or arrogance (or all three).

Good luck to The Canaries, I hope you stay up - I think you will. I admire your fans' passion and your team's togetherness and you have a good manager in CH. Also, through her amazing rabble-rousing rant, Delia has given us one of the most surprising and surreal football moments of all time.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024