Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shelvey 20:40 - Aug 1 with 25231 viewsSgorioFruit

Having a cracking game so far

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Shelvey on 15:55 - Aug 4 with 2430 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey on 15:20 - Aug 4 by Educated_Pork

Misplaced quite a few passes and got robbed a couple of times. Nothing serious but a bit to work on.

He was very good but you'd swear by some comments he was by far the best player on the park and miles better than anything before, which is bonkers.

Towards the end of the game he did misplace some passes.

In that position he is "by far the best player on the park and miles better than anything" last season. Especially considering his young age. You'll see.

Poll: Are any further transfers needed in this window?

Shelvey on 15:59 - Aug 4 with 2414 viewsNeath_Jack

All's being well, Ki will only play in the domestic cup matches this year. Shelvey has shown, in the limited and friendly game time so far, what a driving midfielder should look like. It's frightening to think that we paid similar amounts for the 2 players.

Ki is a neat and tidy player who can make 100 passes a game, but how many of them lead to anything? I'm sure 1 or 2 must have over the course of the season?

Shelvey is far from the finished player, but with a bit of polishing, he can be one of the all time Swansea greats.

All in my opinion of course.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Shelvey on 16:27 - Aug 4 with 2367 viewsTom1912

Shelvey on 15:59 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

All's being well, Ki will only play in the domestic cup matches this year. Shelvey has shown, in the limited and friendly game time so far, what a driving midfielder should look like. It's frightening to think that we paid similar amounts for the 2 players.

Ki is a neat and tidy player who can make 100 passes a game, but how many of them lead to anything? I'm sure 1 or 2 must have over the course of the season?

Shelvey is far from the finished player, but with a bit of polishing, he can be one of the all time Swansea greats.

Ki had more to his game when he played in the SPL.

His technical ability and passing have transferred as he stepped up a level, however his creativity and goalscoring abilities haven't. That's what he needs to work on this season.

Saying that, I think he'll still get games. Shelvey is an explosive player. Covers a lot of ground, tries ambitious balls round the park and isn't afraid to shoot. However, we won't always want a player like that in our midfield and in certain circumstances Ki's ball retention abilities will see him get game time.
Shelvey on 16:37 - Aug 4 with 2348 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey on 15:59 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not by any standard a Ki or JDG hater. But they are just out-classed. No shame in that.

I am sure Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes had some doubters too. I am sticking my neck out here, but that's Shelvey's potential. That Brendan couldn't get out of Shelvey in a season what Laudrup has before the season has really started is strange. Shelvey's problem previous is probably he doesn't have a sexy name, looks like Voldemort, can't sing, gave SAF the finger, so I think Swansea is the perfect club for a fresh start.

Shelvey on 16:47 - Aug 4 with 2325 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 16:37 - Aug 4 by LaudrupFan

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not by any standard a Ki or JDG hater. But they are just out-classed. No shame in that.

I am sure Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes had some doubters too. I am sticking my neck out here, but that's Shelvey's potential. That Brendan couldn't get out of Shelvey in a season what Laudrup has before the season has really started is strange. Shelvey's problem previous is probably he doesn't have a sexy name, looks like Voldemort, can't sing, gave SAF the finger, so I think Swansea is the perfect club for a fresh start.

That first part is a bit ridiculous. Especially at this stage.

As for the rest, let's see what happens when we play someone half decent.
Shelvey on 16:52 - Aug 4 with 2297 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 16:27 - Aug 4 by Tom1912

His technical ability and passing have transferred as he stepped up a level, however his creativity and goalscoring abilities haven't. That's what he needs to work on this season.

Saying that, I think he'll still get games. Shelvey is an explosive player. Covers a lot of ground, tries ambitious balls round the park and isn't afraid to shoot. However, we won't always want a player like that in our midfield and in certain circumstances Ki's ball retention abilities will see him get game time.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I think Ki did show the occasional ability to play that link/driving midfield role last season - am thinking particularly of the Stoke and Liverpool cup away games where he really did have a total grip of the game. Not even close to enough over the rest of the year of course but his health and Olympic duty issues are well enough documented. If we're writing players off on the basis of iffy spells last season then I guess Shelvey's also due the same treatment.

Lot made of Shelvey's performance on Thursday but there were some areas needing a bit of work IMO, and can think of a few performances from JdG last year which were much better.

Early days though. Just glad we've got the options.
Shelvey on 17:02 - Aug 4 with 2271 viewsNeath_Jack

The way some go on about letting us see him perform in the premier league is every bit as nonsensical as those of us who are blowing smoke up his hoop.

You'd swear we have signed him straight from a championship reserve side not one of the top sides in the country.

The only concern i have of him is he can be a bit sloppy in possession, which i'm sure can be ironed out with coaching and experience.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Shelvey on 17:07 - Aug 4 with 2249 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 17:02 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

The way some go on about letting us see him perform in the premier league is every bit as nonsensical as those of us who are blowing smoke up his hoop.

You'd swear we have signed him straight from a championship reserve side not one of the top sides in the country.

The only concern i have of him is he can be a bit sloppy in possession, which i'm sure can be ironed out with coaching and experience.

Given that his top flight performances to date have been, to be kind, somewhat hit and miss, I think that first line is a tad disingenuous.
Login to get fewer ads

Shelvey on 17:16 - Aug 4 with 2236 viewsNeath_Jack

Shelvey on 17:07 - Aug 4 by Educated_Pork

Given that his top flight performances to date have been, to be kind, somewhat hit and miss, I think that first line is a tad disingenuous.

Unless you have watched every minute that he played for Liverpool then your statement is again nonsensical. You trawl the Liverpool boards and as with all clubs and players, you'll get differing opinions. Besides which, if he was the finished world class player then we wouldn't be having this discussion due to him keeping Steve G out of the side and being valued at £20m plus.

The overriding factor with Jonjo is his undoubted raw talent and potential.

Shelvey on 17:20 - Aug 4 with 2224 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 17:16 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

Unless you have watched every minute that he played for Liverpool then your statement is again nonsensical. You trawl the Liverpool boards and as with all clubs and players, you'll get differing opinions. Besides which, if he was the finished world class player then we wouldn't be having this discussion due to him keeping Steve G out of the side and being valued at £20m plus.

The overriding factor with Jonjo is his undoubted raw talent and potential.

So you have to watch every single minute of a player's career to form an opinion, otherwise it's as valid as an opinion based on zero top flight games? There's logic.

Saw enough of him last year to see he struggled in that Liverpool team, to the point he barely played in the second half of the season. You'll have to forgive me not quite jumping on the bandwagon to base our already half-decent midfield around him based on a couple of training exercises.

Edit - True, he's got talent, but then so do the players we already have. He's made a great start so far but let's try and keep expectations a little realistic.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2013 17:22]
Shelvey on 17:32 - Aug 4 with 2201 viewsNeath_Jack

Shelvey on 17:20 - Aug 4 by Educated_Pork

So you have to watch every single minute of a player's career to form an opinion, otherwise it's as valid as an opinion based on zero top flight games? There's logic.

Saw enough of him last year to see he struggled in that Liverpool team, to the point he barely played in the second half of the season. You'll have to forgive me not quite jumping on the bandwagon to base our already half-decent midfield around him based on a couple of training exercises.

Edit - True, he's got talent, but then so do the players we already have. He's made a great start so far but let's try and keep expectations a little realistic.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2013 17:22]

So let me get this right then. You watched a few Liverpool games on tv and paid particular attention to Jonjo's performances? You are telling me he was that bad, that the limited times you saw him play made him stand out as being poor? Interesting.

Who's saying we should base our midfield around him? I think he will share the role with JDG as it happens, until next year when i expect him to make that berth his own.

Expectations are an integral part of being a sports fan. Despite what the ever so kooky Captain Sham may state.

Shelvey on 17:37 - Aug 4 with 2196 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 17:32 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

So let me get this right then. You watched a few Liverpool games on tv and paid particular attention to Jonjo's performances? You are telling me he was that bad, that the limited times you saw him play made him stand out as being poor? Interesting.

Who's saying we should base our midfield around him? I think he will share the role with JDG as it happens, until next year when i expect him to make that berth his own.

Expectations are an integral part of being a sports fan. Despite what the ever so kooky Captain Sham may state.

Yes. Yes I noticed Shelvey wasn't very good last year. So did ole Blowfish, given that he rarely picked him in the second half of the season. Is anyone really arguing he was actually really good last year? If he was how the hell have we managed to pick him up for a relatively paltry fee? Iesu mawr.

Actually a few people have inked him in for a permanent spot already. Some seem to be comparing him to the best in the division already. All this is ludicrously presumptuous. We have barely kicked a competitive ball in anger so I'm merely sounding a note of caution that he needs a fair bit of work to his game and we should wait until we've played a few proper games before making more outlandish comments. I'd have thought that was reasonable enough but hey ho.

Edit - Just scrolled up and seen you predicted he could become one of our all-time greats. But you're not saying we should base our midfield around him? Not sure that quite adds up.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2013 17:39]
Shelvey on 17:40 - Aug 4 with 2177 viewsEducated_Pork

Oh and can someone sort this site out mun. No multiquote option and you can only see the post you're replying to. 5/10 mun.
Shelvey on 17:52 - Aug 4 with 2161 viewsNeath_Jack

Shelvey on 17:37 - Aug 4 by Educated_Pork

Yes. Yes I noticed Shelvey wasn't very good last year. So did ole Blowfish, given that he rarely picked him in the second half of the season. Is anyone really arguing he was actually really good last year? If he was how the hell have we managed to pick him up for a relatively paltry fee? Iesu mawr.

Actually a few people have inked him in for a permanent spot already. Some seem to be comparing him to the best in the division already. All this is ludicrously presumptuous. We have barely kicked a competitive ball in anger so I'm merely sounding a note of caution that he needs a fair bit of work to his game and we should wait until we've played a few proper games before making more outlandish comments. I'd have thought that was reasonable enough but hey ho.

Edit - Just scrolled up and seen you predicted he could become one of our all-time greats. But you're not saying we should base our midfield around him? Not sure that quite adds up.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2013 17:39]

He wasn't picked because there was better players in front of him? Thats what generally happens at football clubs, even more so at top clubs where their benches contain players others can only dream of having in their side. Iesu mawr indeed bach.

There are plenty here who didnt want us to sign him in the first place, are you one of them? He doesn't need a "fair bit of work" at all in my opinion, he has already demonstrated with LFC last year that he is hugely talented for a 21 year old, and he has continued that promise from the games he has played so far this year.

You're not sure it adds up? Then i cannot help you any further i'm afraid, its pretty simple, with the right coaching and application, then i feel he can go on to be one of our all time greats. He is 21, he doesn't need the pressure of having a midfield based around him, which in my opinion was one of his problems at Anfield. He needs to get out there and play his game, not live up to being Steve G's protege.

Shelvey on 17:54 - Aug 4 with 2153 viewsskippyjack

Jonjo will never be a regular in our midfield this season.. just like all our midfielders.

ML will rotate the team every game

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Shelvey on 17:58 - Aug 4 with 2146 viewsNeath_Jack

Shelvey on 17:54 - Aug 4 by skippyjack

Jonjo will never be a regular in our midfield this season.. just like all our midfielders.

ML will rotate the team every game

As i alluded to further up, i think Jonjo will share that role with JDG.

Shelvey on 18:06 - Aug 4 with 2124 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 17:52 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

He wasn't picked because there was better players in front of him? Thats what generally happens at football clubs, even more so at top clubs where their benches contain players others can only dream of having in their side. Iesu mawr indeed bach.

There are plenty here who didnt want us to sign him in the first place, are you one of them? He doesn't need a "fair bit of work" at all in my opinion, he has already demonstrated with LFC last year that he is hugely talented for a 21 year old, and he has continued that promise from the games he has played so far this year.

You're not sure it adds up? Then i cannot help you any further i'm afraid, its pretty simple, with the right coaching and application, then i feel he can go on to be one of our all time greats. He is 21, he doesn't need the pressure of having a midfield based around him, which in my opinion was one of his problems at Anfield. He needs to get out there and play his game, not live up to being Steve G's protege.

He was picked at the start of the season often enough. He then wasn't. It's almost as if something happened during that time ...

If you don't think he needs a bit of work to his game then you're right we do disagree, although you seem to be contradicting yourself on that score as well. Luckily I'm sure even he doesn't think he's the finished article already, and that's much more important than a nerdboard disagreement.

Anyway, like I say, he's done well so far and hopefully he continues to do so. The move to a slightly deeper role seems to be suiting him as it makes use of his long passing game. He needs to be a bit quicker in terms of linking the play and getting his head up but that'll come. I can't see him playing the more advanced role he played at Liverpool down here, what with Michu here, Pozuelo looking the dogs danglies so far (he's another that is all promise but need to reign in judgement until the proper stuff starts, but he really does excite me) and also JdG is probably most suited to that role. I think that was Liverpool's biggest mistake and kudos to the Swans scouting for identifying this slight tweak.

Of course, the most important point is that we've got a lot of different competitions with a lot of different opposition types. Some games will suit our bald-headed future great, others will suit JdG and others will even more suit Korea's finest. I'm writing no-one off and inking no-one on the team sheet just yet.
Shelvey on 18:14 - Aug 4 with 2115 viewsLaudrupFan

I think everyone knows Shelvey has big potential. In Liverpool he was supposed to be the new Gerrard, but never really got enough of a chance to really break through. The question is only whether he will live up to his potential this season, another season or never. Since we are discussing the future it's hard to say.

Personally I have seen enough to believe (not guarantee) this will be his season. He is in the right team, being used in the right position and has enough trust from the manager, so that he can take the needed step up.

This does not mean he will play every single game. But as Laudrup says, when he plays like he did, it's difficult to keep him out.

Shelvey on 18:21 - Aug 4 with 2096 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 18:14 - Aug 4 by LaudrupFan

I think everyone knows Shelvey has big potential. In Liverpool he was supposed to be the new Gerrard, but never really got enough of a chance to really break through. The question is only whether he will live up to his potential this season, another season or never. Since we are discussing the future it's hard to say.

Personally I have seen enough to believe (not guarantee) this will be his season. He is in the right team, being used in the right position and has enough trust from the manager, so that he can take the needed step up.

This does not mean he will play every single game. But as Laudrup says, when he plays like he did, it's difficult to keep him out.

Now that I can more or less agree with. Certainly got a lot of potential and if he's ever going to realise it it's here and now.

You're right of course in that none of our central midfielders will play every game. It'll be interesting though to see who becomes the regular link midfielder to join Leon and Michu as it's easily the most stacked position we've got in the squad by some distance.

Similarly it'll be interesting to see how Michu deals with the presence of Pozuelo this season. If he carries his pre-season promise into the proper stuff we've got one hell of a battle to enjoy there.
Shelvey on 18:54 - Aug 4 with 2056 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey on 18:21 - Aug 4 by Educated_Pork

Now that I can more or less agree with. Certainly got a lot of potential and if he's ever going to realise it it's here and now.

You're right of course in that none of our central midfielders will play every game. It'll be interesting though to see who becomes the regular link midfielder to join Leon and Michu as it's easily the most stacked position we've got in the squad by some distance.

Similarly it'll be interesting to see how Michu deals with the presence of Pozuelo this season. If he carries his pre-season promise into the proper stuff we've got one hell of a battle to enjoy there.

Cool.
I think I also know where we don't agree.

Like others I have been quite disappointed with Ki's game. He used to play as an AM. He used to score goals. He just seems to be a very quiet and anonymous player now. And I am not a Ki hater and has never been one. He needs to show something soon.

JDG is performing better than Ki. But he needs to step up too. He is the offensive part of the midfield duo (the defensive part is Britton/Canas), but sometimes you can hardly tell the difference. Also he needs to stop taking the free kicks because he is not good enough.

Shelvey on 19:03 - Aug 4 with 2034 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 18:54 - Aug 4 by LaudrupFan

Cool.
I think I also know where we don't agree.

Like others I have been quite disappointed with Ki's game. He used to play as an AM. He used to score goals. He just seems to be a very quiet and anonymous player now. And I am not a Ki hater and has never been one. He needs to show something soon.

JDG is performing better than Ki. But he needs to step up too. He is the offensive part of the midfield duo (the defensive part is Britton/Canas), but sometimes you can hardly tell the difference. Also he needs to stop taking the free kicks because he is not good enough.

Oh I dunno. His set pieces have been very good at times. Plus he's more the link between the defensive and attacking CM's than anything ... actually I'd say he's been more comfortable doing the attacking support than the dirty work.

Where I think things will help are with signing Bony. Michu did brilliant last year but he's not a striker and sometimes took the space you'd expect to see the midfielders take up.

I've been quite critical of JdG since the cup win though. Needs to recapture that pre-March form.
Shelvey on 19:04 - Aug 4 with 2034 viewsdameedna

Shelvey on 16:27 - Aug 4 by Tom1912

My thoughts exactly or close to anyways. For me, Ki played to instructions last year and it was more often deGuz who had a reign to take a pop at goal.

Much the same as when Taylor started at left back he always played it back and only Williams did the hero ball from the back.

Ki has that ability in his armoury and will play 20 ganes this season, especially if we are 1-0 up 20 mins to go.

The impact of Shelvey Michu and Bony could be massive and Britton Ki de Guz and Puzelo will all be needed.
Shelvey on 19:10 - Aug 4 with 2020 viewsdameedna

Shelvey on 19:04 - Aug 4 by dameedna

My thoughts exactly or close to anyways. For me, Ki played to instructions last year and it was more often deGuz who had a reign to take a pop at goal.

Much the same as when Taylor started at left back he always played it back and only Williams did the hero ball from the back.

Ki has that ability in his armoury and will play 20 ganes this season, especially if we are 1-0 up 20 mins to go.

The impact of Shelvey Michu and Bony could be massive and Britton Ki de Guz and Puzelo will all be needed.

ps

is anyone excited?
Shelvey on 12:36 - Aug 5 with 1856 viewsLaudrup

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Jonjo-Shelvey-near-Swansea-City-s-midfie

Jonjo Shelvey is near the front of Swansea City's midfield queue

By South Wales Evening Post
Saturday, August 03, 2013

MICHAEL Laudrup says Jonjo Shelvey has forced his way towards the front of Swansea City's midfield queue after a standout performance against Malmo.

The England international made his Swansea debut on Thursday following a £5 million summer switch from Liverpool.

Settled Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has bedded in nicely in SA1.

And he was in inspired form.

Shelvey threatened the Swedish goal on more than one occasion and also produced a series of exquisite long-range passes.

The 21-year-old was preferred to the likes of Jonathan de Guzman, Ki Sung-Yueng and Jose Canas for Swansea's opening Europa League encounter.

And Laudrup revealed Shelvey has tightened his grip on a position in Swansea's most competitive department following that display.

"I think he is adapting to the style very quickly," said the Swansea manager.

"He has great potential. I think for him it's important to come to a club where he can play a lot, and playing like that it's very difficult to keep him out.

"But we have a lot of alternatives, especially in midfield, and that gives me the possibility to move them around from game to game."

Shelvey has arrived at Swansea in search of game time after finding himself a fringe player at Liverpool.

The former Charlton man was deployed in a deep lying role for Swansea's first ever Europa League clash, but still managed to get forwards.

"I have not played 90 minutes yet so it was important to get 90 minutes under my belt," he said.

"We knew it would be tough in the first half because they always are in Europa games, but as soon as we got the first goal we knew we would go on to win.

"I enjoy playing where the manager has put me. We will have to wait and see what happens in the future.

"Everyone is competing for spots but that is the way football is nowadays – you just have to rise to the occasion.

"With the way we play you have got to be very fit, you always have to be passing and moving.

"That has been installed since Brendan Rodgers was here. I had a head start when he came to Liverpool so that helped."

I hate signatures

Shelvey on 13:07 - Aug 5 with 1793 viewsViking_Jack

I think it´s a typical thing for us fans to discuss whether one player is better than the other and who is in the first line-up and so on, and of course it´s an inevitable and relevant discussion, but I think Laudrup sees it differently. I don´t think he sees the players as oppositional, but as complementary; in other words as a kind of toolbox from which he can choose a certain "tool" (player) for a certain purpose (game) and a certain moment (part of a game). I also think one of Laudrup´s big virtues as a manager is his ability to use that toolbox well, and I am excited to see how he will use the improved toolbox this year...
[Post edited 5 Aug 2013 13:10]

Better a brief spell of honour than a long rule of shame

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024