Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shelvey 20:40 - Aug 1 with 25232 viewsSgorioFruit

Having a cracking game so far

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Shelvey on 15:30 - Aug 2 with 2890 viewssa3swan

Shelvey on 15:18 - Aug 2 by ploppy

I think he had a good game overall and definitely gives us something different. However, I think in the centre of midfield he takes too many touches. If you watch the others, Britton in particular, he takes a few touches max and then passes it on. Good start though - I'm sure ML will sort him out.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2013 15:45]

Plays with his heart on his sleeve - more of your traditional British player. And we'll need that as a counter balance to the continental flair.

As an aside, Shelvey clapped all sides of the ground for some time when the teams came on (and was late getting into the prematch huddle because of it!). A nice touch that was appreciated by us all.
Shelvey on 18:29 - Aug 2 with 2762 viewsthe_gasman

Shelvey on 09:34 - Aug 2 by Lord_Bony

Hello again ladies.
It s been murder trying to get in here.

Anyways,from what I saw last night at the game he is a cracking signing for us.

No worries.

hello haw haw

Poll: The best thing about the new Planet Swans forum is...

Shelvey on 20:08 - Aug 2 with 2669 viewsJJ08

Shelvey on 15:18 - Aug 2 by ploppy

I think he had a good game overall and definitely gives us something different. However, I think in the centre of midfield he takes too many touches. If you watch the others, Britton in particular, he takes a few touches max and then passes it on. Good start though - I'm sure ML will sort him out.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2013 15:45]

Yes he passes it on to someone who takes a few more touches but does something more constructive with it...... Why are fewer touches and getting rid of better than a player comfortable with the ball and dont feel the need to just keep passing it on. Ronaldo, Bale all have more than a few touches. I dont think he actually needs "sorting out"..
Shelvey on 20:17 - Aug 2 with 2655 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey on 23:24 - Aug 1 by Darran

Well said Gareth.

Well they're both bald and run around a lot. In Shelvey's case not straight to the corner flag though, unlike his predecessor .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Shelvey on 20:30 - Aug 2 with 2629 viewssunshinehead

Shelvey on 20:17 - Aug 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Well they're both bald and run around a lot. In Shelvey's case not straight to the corner flag though, unlike his predecessor .

and Shelvey doesn't promptly fall on his arse when he manages to turn around.
Shelvey on 20:36 - Aug 2 with 2618 viewsMattG

As well as he played, he still needs to work on his first touch and footwork - looked a tad clumsy alongside Leon. However, I liked his energy and determination and some of his long passing was sublime.

I'm fast becoming a convert.
Shelvey on 21:08 - Aug 2 with 2596 viewsViking_Jack

Shelvey on 20:08 - Aug 2 by JJ08

Yes he passes it on to someone who takes a few more touches but does something more constructive with it...... Why are fewer touches and getting rid of better than a player comfortable with the ball and dont feel the need to just keep passing it on. Ronaldo, Bale all have more than a few touches. I dont think he actually needs "sorting out"..

I agree with that. Shelvey is a creative player; he wants to do something with the ball every time he gets it; hence the hesitation to pass it on immediately. He often stops up , trying to manipulate the approaching opponent players to think that he will pass it on quickly, only to surprise them with a ruse, which opens up the field for him and creates more space for him and the team. It´s a very smart trick which demands an adventurous heart and a cool head. When he fails in this project, he sometimes loses the ball and makes himself look "silly", but as far as I am concerned there is a meaning in what he is doing: He runs a risk in order to be creative. In more general terms, it´s brilliant to have different types of midfield players in the team; players like Britton who thinks mainly in conquering and getting the ball under control and passing it on to the nearest teammate in the most safe and accurate form, or de Guzman who is also very controlled and safe in his delivery of the ball, but in my oponion it is crucial to have players like Shelvey in the team who takes risks in order to be more creative and make the unexpected, at the cost of sometimes making mistakes that - with time and more maturity - are likely to become less frequent (not saying that all mistakes come down to trying to be creative, but it´s a part of it). I am sure Laudrup also understands and appreciates this as he was looking for the creative and adventurous play himself in his carreer and deliberately ran risks in order to be more creative.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2013 21:29]

Better a brief spell of honour than a long rule of shame

Shelvey on 13:27 - Aug 3 with 2470 viewsploppy

Shelvey on 20:08 - Aug 2 by JJ08

Couple of reasons. Firstly, when the opposition know that a player's going to take a few touches they are more likely to close him down quickly and maybe crowd him out when he gets the ball. If they know a player's going to take one or two touches and then give it, they are more likely to stand off. I think it's especially important in the PL, and in centre midfield, when you don't get a lot of time or space on the ball. He lost the ball a few times because he hung on too long, and he was hurried into playing at least one (maybe two) passes straight to the opposition. Secondly, our whole game is based on possession and moving the ball (and therefore the opposition) around quickly.

I've just watched the highlights again, and JJS was involved in a lot of the good things we did. I'm sure he's going to make a big difference to us - and what's more, he's willing to shoot from outside the box!

Bale and Ronaldo don't play in the centre of midfield.
Login to get fewer ads

Shelvey on 13:33 - Aug 3 with 2457 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey on 20:30 - Aug 2 by sunshinehead

and Shelvey doesn't promptly fall on his arse when he manages to turn around.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Sunsh lol

Shelvey on 00:09 - Aug 4 with 2286 viewsSwansforever

I wasn't keen on us signing him and hope he proves me wrong. He made some wonderful passes but he was prone to giving it away aswell. Does give us something different though which after gelling with the team could be amazing.
Shelvey on 00:14 - Aug 4 with 2281 viewsDarran

Shelvey on 00:09 - Aug 4 by Swansforever

I wasn't keen on us signing him and hope he proves me wrong. He made some wonderful passes but he was prone to giving it away aswell. Does give us something different though which after gelling with the team could be amazing.

Well you weren't the only one Swansgirl or whatever she calls herself these days was very vociferous about it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Shelvey on 00:25 - Aug 4 with 2270 viewsChief

not a fan. lee lucas deserves his chance

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Shelvey on 13:28 - Aug 4 with 2142 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey is going to have as big an impact on the team this season as Michu had on the team last season, just in a different way.

Only problem is that JDG and Ki totally fade in comparison.

Poll: Are any further transfers needed in this window?

Shelvey on 13:47 - Aug 4 with 2128 viewsDr_Winston

Shelvey on 13:28 - Aug 4 by LaudrupFan

Shelvey is going to have as big an impact on the team this season as Michu had on the team last season, just in a different way.

Only problem is that JDG and Ki totally fade in comparison.

Based on one game? Crazy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Shelvey on 13:58 - Aug 4 with 2082 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey on 13:47 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

Based on one game? Crazy.

It's been more than 1 game.

Is it not allowed to make predictions here? I predict he will be as important to Swansea as Scholes to United, Lampard to Chelsea, Gerrard to Liverpool... Those who don't like him will hate the next 10 years as he will be the center of the team. Unless of course he is sold for big bucks.

Shelvey on 14:09 - Aug 4 with 2066 viewsDr_Winston

Shelvey on 13:58 - Aug 4 by LaudrupFan

It's been more than 1 game.

Is it not allowed to make predictions here? I predict he will be as important to Swansea as Scholes to United, Lampard to Chelsea, Gerrard to Liverpool... Those who don't like him will hate the next 10 years as he will be the center of the team. Unless of course he is sold for big bucks.

Sounded more like a statement than a prediction.

By mid-September last year we were being bombarded with Liverpool fans crowing about how good Joe Allen was and how much of a bargain they'd gotten. Where are they now?

Shelvey looks a good player. I'll want to see him against better opposition than Malmo and a couple of friendlies before I decide if he's going to put Ki and de Guzman in the shade.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Shelvey on 14:14 - Aug 4 with 2057 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey on 14:09 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

By mid-September last year we were being bombarded with Liverpool fans crowing about how good Joe Allen was and how much of a bargain they'd gotten. Where are they now?

Shelvey looks a good player. I'll want to see him against better opposition than Malmo and a couple of friendlies before I decide if he's going to put Ki and de Guzman in the shade.

Anything to do with the future is a prediction
He could be hit by a bus tomorrow

Brendan will be known as the guy who didn't see the potential in Shelvey

Shelvey on 14:52 - Aug 4 with 2022 viewsEducated_Pork

Shelvey on 14:09 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

Quite. Still looks like he's adjusting to the short passing game. Long range passing was great though ... Bodde esque at times. Signs of promise and certainly looks a different option to what we've got.

Saying that, there are times when we need different. De Guz was great at times last year and I'm still holding out hope for Ki after a proper pre-season.
Shelvey on 15:16 - Aug 4 with 1992 viewsLaudrupFan

Shelvey on 14:52 - Aug 4 by Educated_Pork

Quite. Still looks like he's adjusting to the short passing game. Long range passing was great though ... Bodde esque at times. Signs of promise and certainly looks a different option to what we've got.

Saying that, there are times when we need different. De Guz was great at times last year and I'm still holding out hope for Ki after a proper pre-season.

I didn't look at the game again in detail. But to me it looked like Shelvey was involved in almost everything either through long or short passing.

Shelvey on 15:20 - Aug 4 with 1980 viewsEducated_Pork

Misplaced quite a few passes and got robbed a couple of times. Nothing serious but a bit to work on.

He was very good but you'd swear by some comments he was by far the best player on the park and miles better than anything before, which is bonkers.
Shelvey on 15:30 - Aug 4 with 1963 viewsBelfast

Not as good as Ki.
And more wasteful, but a good addition.

You can always save face by cutting your fu cking head off.

Shelvey on 15:36 - Aug 4 with 1952 viewswr72

Has it been mentioned he hails from a traveller's background?

Bet he can look after himself.
Shelvey on 15:36 - Aug 4 with 1951 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey on 15:30 - Aug 4 by Belfast

Not as good as Ki.
And more wasteful, but a good addition.

Yes but far more attack minded, supplying midfield strength and drive which adds another dimension to our team game

Shelvey on 15:38 - Aug 4 with 1946 viewsBelfast

Shelvey on 15:36 - Aug 4 by Brynmill_Jack

Yes but far more attack minded, supplying midfield strength and drive which adds another dimension to our team game

Got to say i am slightly worried about Ki's immediate future at the club as well.

You can always save face by cutting your fu cking head off.

Shelvey on 15:41 - Aug 4 with 1937 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey on 15:38 - Aug 4 by Belfast

Got to say i am slightly worried about Ki's immediate future at the club as well.

I think we're going to get to the EL group stages so there will be plenty of games to go doing Belf

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024