Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't want a new manager 18:38 - Feb 5 with 1903 viewsDylanP

People on here keep talking about getting rid of 'arry or how 'arry is bound to bolt at the end of the season. Well, I for one don't want a new manager. End of. I don't want a new manager if we go up and I don't want a new manager if we don't go up. I want continuity for a few years.

Yes, yes, 'arry is old, 'arry is tired, blah blah blah. Look, he wasn't my first choice but nobody asked me and this is who we have. All I know is that continuity is one of those intangibles that is often the difference between long-term success and long-term failure. So for the next 2-3 years I hope that 'arry sticks around.

Every time we chop and change it creates disruption, which impacts morale, team chemistry, and so on. Changing managers includes a raft of new players on long contracts. It includes the sidelining of existing players and all of that unnecessary bloat.

Everyone knows the story of how long it took Ferggy to go from dud to master at Manure. I just wish/hope that for once we could show something approaching that kind of patience at QPR.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

I don't want a new manager on 18:48 - Feb 5 with 1450 viewsbosh67

The bottom line is that having a side generally full of British players has very much stabilised the club. I think we have been pretty clever in this transfer window. I have a lot of criticisms of Harry but we all know he is a good manager and a team that was in total melt down last season is now doing pretty well at this level, without actually being great at any stage yet. So, time is a great builder and although TF has changed a few managers so far he isn't someone who will move Harry on unless a. we fall apart completely or b. Harry gets and wants to take a better offer.

Given how nuts this season has been for sackings I think we are in a wholly better position as a club this year than we have over the last 5-6.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

I don't want a new manager on 18:56 - Feb 5 with 1436 viewsNeil_SI

There is no doubt that Redknapp is an excellent manager, but it is fair to question whether he is the right appointment for QPR. He fits what the board wants, short term success and immediate promotion to the Premier League.

If we do not achieve that, I doubt Redknapp himself will want to stay and have another year in the Championship. He must still be an attractive solution for certain types of clubs who need a first team fix, and he must still feel, at the back end of his career, that he has ambitions and a way he wants to see those years out.

Even if we get promoted, I think it just opens up more possibilities for him to go on and get those last big roles that may be out there for him. It strengthens his arm for one last shot at whatever it is he wants to do.

As for us, Redknapp's made it clear he has no interest in the development of the new training ground or the new stadium, which tells you a lot I suppose. He is here for the short term and unlikely to see those developments when/if they reach completion.

He probably has little input or interest in the elite development squad or youth team structure, so we have nobody who is looking at that long term plan, that desire to create something that offers better long term stability and continuity.

The club at the moment are on their own with this, and while they remain that way, for all the good intentions in the world, it's going to be a lot more difficult to achieve those things, especially with the lack of football experience at the top end to identify these issues as serious concerns and basic needs of a sensible, well run and well functioning football club.

The most serious issue at the moment is a lack of equality at QPR. That's where I'd start, with a plan on creating a level playing field and tiered structure in terms of salary expectations that fit within the boundaries of what the club is and isn't capable of in terms of income and expenditure. That's not easy though because of the mess we've created. It will slowly get better as players leave and are out of contract, but we're still paying largely over the odds or way more than anybody else around us.

Once that puzzle is solved, and reflected from top to bottom of the club from the kids to the seniors, then they can forward plan a bit better and start nailing down targets properly. I just don't see this happening in the short term mind. They are more likely to tell you that they need to do this or that to compete, or that they are in line with other clubs (such as with ticket pricing, etc).

It's about having the right ethics and values at the end of the day — I just don't really see any care about that though, so I remain skeptical and curious to see what happens next, promotion or not.
I don't want a new manager on 18:59 - Feb 5 with 1427 viewssmegma

Neil, are you related to Ingham ???
I don't want a new manager on 19:01 - Feb 5 with 1419 viewsNeil_SI

I don't want a new manager on 18:59 - Feb 5 by smegma

Neil, are you related to Ingham ???

It's taken you till now to ask me that?

I miss Ingham. :)
I don't want a new manager on 19:04 - Feb 5 with 1408 viewssmegma

I don't want a new manager on 19:01 - Feb 5 by Neil_SI

It's taken you till now to ask me that?

I miss Ingham. :)

Where'd he go ? I know he was ill before Christmas but he said he was given the all clear.
I don't want a new manager on 19:09 - Feb 5 with 1398 viewsNeil_SI

I don't want a new manager on 19:04 - Feb 5 by smegma

Where'd he go ? I know he was ill before Christmas but he said he was given the all clear.

Oh I didn't know that, sorry to hear that and glad to hear about the all clear, I just meant in terms of posting around here. He used to post a lot.
I don't want a new manager on 19:21 - Feb 5 with 1377 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't want a new manager on 18:48 - Feb 5 by bosh67

The bottom line is that having a side generally full of British players has very much stabilised the club. I think we have been pretty clever in this transfer window. I have a lot of criticisms of Harry but we all know he is a good manager and a team that was in total melt down last season is now doing pretty well at this level, without actually being great at any stage yet. So, time is a great builder and although TF has changed a few managers so far he isn't someone who will move Harry on unless a. we fall apart completely or b. Harry gets and wants to take a better offer.

Given how nuts this season has been for sackings I think we are in a wholly better position as a club this year than we have over the last 5-6.

It's the Irish players have made the difference, not the British.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

I don't want a new manager on 19:34 - Feb 5 with 1357 viewsClint_Power

I don't want a new manager on 18:56 - Feb 5 by Neil_SI

There is no doubt that Redknapp is an excellent manager, but it is fair to question whether he is the right appointment for QPR. He fits what the board wants, short term success and immediate promotion to the Premier League.

If we do not achieve that, I doubt Redknapp himself will want to stay and have another year in the Championship. He must still be an attractive solution for certain types of clubs who need a first team fix, and he must still feel, at the back end of his career, that he has ambitions and a way he wants to see those years out.

Even if we get promoted, I think it just opens up more possibilities for him to go on and get those last big roles that may be out there for him. It strengthens his arm for one last shot at whatever it is he wants to do.

As for us, Redknapp's made it clear he has no interest in the development of the new training ground or the new stadium, which tells you a lot I suppose. He is here for the short term and unlikely to see those developments when/if they reach completion.

He probably has little input or interest in the elite development squad or youth team structure, so we have nobody who is looking at that long term plan, that desire to create something that offers better long term stability and continuity.

The club at the moment are on their own with this, and while they remain that way, for all the good intentions in the world, it's going to be a lot more difficult to achieve those things, especially with the lack of football experience at the top end to identify these issues as serious concerns and basic needs of a sensible, well run and well functioning football club.

The most serious issue at the moment is a lack of equality at QPR. That's where I'd start, with a plan on creating a level playing field and tiered structure in terms of salary expectations that fit within the boundaries of what the club is and isn't capable of in terms of income and expenditure. That's not easy though because of the mess we've created. It will slowly get better as players leave and are out of contract, but we're still paying largely over the odds or way more than anybody else around us.

Once that puzzle is solved, and reflected from top to bottom of the club from the kids to the seniors, then they can forward plan a bit better and start nailing down targets properly. I just don't see this happening in the short term mind. They are more likely to tell you that they need to do this or that to compete, or that they are in line with other clubs (such as with ticket pricing, etc).

It's about having the right ethics and values at the end of the day — I just don't really see any care about that though, so I remain skeptical and curious to see what happens next, promotion or not.

Very interesting post, and i agree with your assessment that Redknapp isn't too concerned with the long term future of our club. However, I think we need to operating with a system that disassociates those sort of aspects of the club from whatever manager is in charge. We need to be realistic and recognise that we are going to change manager at least every couple of seasons. Although it would fantastic to find a manager that could build the club up over a period of 5-10 years or so this won't happen. Either the manager is a big disappointment and we sack him (the likely scenario) or on the very slim chance he does a good job then he will be poached by a bigger club.

If we are realistic and acknowledge that this is almost certainly going to happen then we can't have a system where youth development, scouting etc. is organised by the manager and his assistants. Although I' m not comfortable with the role played by many of the 'Directors of Football' there seem to be around at the moment, we need to have people with football experience behind the scenes so that we can have continuity and long-term thinking in areas like scouting and youth development.

If we had that kind of system, it wouldn't matter a jot that Redknapp probably won't be here in 18 months' time and isn't that fussed about the future of QPR. What we do need is a manager that will get the best possible results on the pitch - and I think that's what we've got.
Login to get fewer ads

I don't want a new manager on 20:10 - Feb 5 with 1322 viewsGetMeRangers

I don't want a new manager on 19:34 - Feb 5 by Clint_Power

Very interesting post, and i agree with your assessment that Redknapp isn't too concerned with the long term future of our club. However, I think we need to operating with a system that disassociates those sort of aspects of the club from whatever manager is in charge. We need to be realistic and recognise that we are going to change manager at least every couple of seasons. Although it would fantastic to find a manager that could build the club up over a period of 5-10 years or so this won't happen. Either the manager is a big disappointment and we sack him (the likely scenario) or on the very slim chance he does a good job then he will be poached by a bigger club.

If we are realistic and acknowledge that this is almost certainly going to happen then we can't have a system where youth development, scouting etc. is organised by the manager and his assistants. Although I' m not comfortable with the role played by many of the 'Directors of Football' there seem to be around at the moment, we need to have people with football experience behind the scenes so that we can have continuity and long-term thinking in areas like scouting and youth development.

If we had that kind of system, it wouldn't matter a jot that Redknapp probably won't be here in 18 months' time and isn't that fussed about the future of QPR. What we do need is a manager that will get the best possible results on the pitch - and I think that's what we've got.

I suspect that there is a good chance that he may be invited to play the role of DoF and given TF and Beard's knowledge of football, that might not be such a bad thing. Whether HR is the right man for such a role or would even want it, if offered, is for wiser men than me to discuss
I don't want a new manager on 23:41 - Feb 5 with 1253 viewsSomersetHoops

The fact is in two years time or before we will need a new manager. It would be better if it were someone with links to QPR. Harry doesn't seem to have any interest in development of any kind, so it should be up to the board to identify a suitable person with QPR connections who could be developed for the manager's job when the time comes. The changes at Swansea and Spurs seem to be driven by a similar objective, so it will be interesting to see how they pan out and consider if something similar could work for QPR.

Who's Next?

I don't want a new manager on 03:32 - Feb 6 with 1214 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

I don't want a new manager on 18:56 - Feb 5 by Neil_SI

Spot on Neil, but i think you are dreaming

It's got to be Yarg

I don't want a new manager on 06:11 - Feb 6 with 1172 viewsWeaverQPR

Its not like we can appoint from within cos they are all HR staff and will go with him wherever.
Should of got Birch involved at first team level, but even he could see he was going nowhere here.
If we fail this year it would be the ideal time for a clean break and get a new younger long term manager in.

@WeavQPR

I don't want a new manager on 10:28 - Feb 6 with 1049 viewspeejaybee

I don't want a new manager on 06:11 - Feb 6 by WeaverQPR

Its not like we can appoint from within cos they are all HR staff and will go with him wherever.
Should of got Birch involved at first team level, but even he could see he was going nowhere here.
If we fail this year it would be the ideal time for a clean break and get a new younger long term manager in.

Like who for instance.?????????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

I don't want a new manager on 10:39 - Feb 6 with 1040 viewsTacticalR

I don't want a new manager on 19:21 - Feb 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Yep, on Saturday it was Doyle, Dunne and...Maiga (a Liffey man perhaps?)

Air hostess clique

I don't want a new manager on 11:34 - Feb 6 with 1012 viewsDoughnut

I don't want a new manager on 19:21 - Feb 5 by BrianMcCarthy

to be sure ....and Arry's kissed the Blarney stone, without a doubt!!
I don't want a new manager on 12:33 - Feb 6 with 969 viewshoopdog

I've read some Bollox on here at times but this !
H is trying to get us up while trying to repair the damage Hughs did or at least keep the damage limitation down and stabilise the club .
H is not interested in developement so the 19 year old jock
c/h isnt one for the future or the young trialist ex Spurs player this week.
H is trying to get us up by using expirienced player he and the board will lock at bring in younger players for the long if and when they achieve that target .
Tony Fernandes is a lucky man H was available to take over after the Hugh debacle
[Post edited 6 Feb 2014 12:35]
I don't want a new manager on 13:05 - Feb 6 with 929 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't want a new manager on 11:34 - Feb 6 by Doughnut

to be sure ....and Arry's kissed the Blarney stone, without a doubt!!

Ya, he's a hoot!

I don't want a new manager on 13:15 - Feb 6 with 913 viewsTheBlob

I don't want a new manager on 13:05 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, he's a hoot!

The Lord Of Blarney was a McCarthy.I sense vested interests here....

Poll: So how was the season for you?

I don't want a new manager on 13:32 - Feb 6 with 896 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't want a new manager on 13:15 - Feb 6 by TheBlob

The Lord Of Blarney was a McCarthy.I sense vested interests here....

Grabbed off us and sold on. I've ended up renting a flat, and am painfully ineloquent.

I don't want a new manager on 13:59 - Feb 6 with 870 viewsisawqpratwcity

I don't want a new manager on 13:32 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Grabbed off us and sold on. I've ended up renting a flat, and am painfully ineloquent.

Can I interrupt your 'newly-became celtic status love-fest' to just say that I think Harry is doing ok, just enough, but not much more.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

I don't want a new manager on 14:56 - Feb 6 with 833 viewsstansleftfoot

"When you start supporting a football club, you don't support it because of trophies, players, history, you support because you find yourself somewhere there, somewhere you belong" Denis Bergkamp.
Having joined the ranks of QPR fan's back in '68 Denis Bergkamp's view now reminds of my feelings I had when I first caught the need to follow QPR and it still does.
Over the last forty years or so it has felt as if some Managers understood my Footballing beliefs, philosophy, if you like, at other times it has felt as if the Owners and Managers had specifically selected QPR to damn the Club to a type of purgatory against my hopes for a side that competed at the higher levels, that played good attacking football for a group of knowledgable and supportive fans in an iconic ground. Even if we were the underdog from a poor part of town, i could at least belong on an equal footing.
Amazingly and unusually we seem to have found a group of owners who are wealthy enough and focused enough to suffer the immense financial losses that Mark Hughes inflicted on the Club.
Once again, amazingly, the Owners, in particular, Tony Fernandes was lucky enough to find unemployed and available; Harry Redknapp.
For another debate we can talk about whether HR should have or could have done better in keeping us up, but for the purposes of this thread HR has in the face of crippling injuries to his best players, a wholesale clearance of un-productive players, introduction of another 15 players ( about ?) within, apparently, a strict budget in terms of contracts issued and signing on fee's kept QPR in the Automatic promotion places nigh on all season.
So wanting a new manager is not on my list of important issues for TF to be addressing.
What is important that we get the structure of the Clubs academy and scouting system up to scratch.
I don't think it's clear whether a first team manager should even hold responsibility for that, so regardless of what happens to HR over the next 18 months, QPR need a hands on Footballing Coach with the highest educational and Coaching qualifications to lead the Academy and development sides forwards.
I would then feel that the shorterm nature of the football managers job would not continue to whittle away at the heart of QPR FC as it has done for the last twenty five to thirty years.
If we need, or deserve something concrete from TF and partners it is that we could put the heart back into the Club from the grass-roots and community level via the Academy.
As far as I'm concerned the days of long term Managers are probably over so why wish for something that is unlikely to happen.
However if Harry can pull this promotion off, I'd be very happy for him to carry on, it might be that he'd finally found a club he could repay with loyalty and support.
I don't want a new manager on 15:52 - Feb 6 with 807 viewsDylanP

I don't want a new manager on 20:10 - Feb 5 by GetMeRangers

I suspect that there is a good chance that he may be invited to play the role of DoF and given TF and Beard's knowledge of football, that might not be such a bad thing. Whether HR is the right man for such a role or would even want it, if offered, is for wiser men than me to discuss

How do you know 'arry isn't interested in development?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

I don't want a new manager on 17:16 - Feb 6 with 782 viewsTheBlob

I don't want a new manager on 13:59 - Feb 6 by isawqpratwcity

Can I interrupt your 'newly-became celtic status love-fest' to just say that I think Harry is doing ok, just enough, but not much more.

Somebody got out of the wrong side of the billabong today.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

I don't want a new manager on 18:40 - Feb 6 with 755 viewsGetMeRangers

I don't want a new manager on 15:52 - Feb 6 by DylanP

How do you know 'arry isn't interested in development?

Not sure that I did... everyone else says he isnt. I understand that he cant be thinking about developement when the short term aim is to go up... tried and trusted 'right sort' etc. That, in turn, gives the impression of not being interested.

how much longer he wants to be a manager, is anyones guess, but I tend to agree with the 18 months suggested on here. DoF after life as a manager? who knows what he is interested in doing... never looks interested in anything TBH

And I know nothing... just think sometimes, and leave myself to be shot down by expressing them
I don't want a new manager on 18:46 - Feb 6 with 749 viewspeejaybee

I don't want a new manager on 14:56 - Feb 6 by stansleftfoot

"When you start supporting a football club, you don't support it because of trophies, players, history, you support because you find yourself somewhere there, somewhere you belong" Denis Bergkamp.
Having joined the ranks of QPR fan's back in '68 Denis Bergkamp's view now reminds of my feelings I had when I first caught the need to follow QPR and it still does.
Over the last forty years or so it has felt as if some Managers understood my Footballing beliefs, philosophy, if you like, at other times it has felt as if the Owners and Managers had specifically selected QPR to damn the Club to a type of purgatory against my hopes for a side that competed at the higher levels, that played good attacking football for a group of knowledgable and supportive fans in an iconic ground. Even if we were the underdog from a poor part of town, i could at least belong on an equal footing.
Amazingly and unusually we seem to have found a group of owners who are wealthy enough and focused enough to suffer the immense financial losses that Mark Hughes inflicted on the Club.
Once again, amazingly, the Owners, in particular, Tony Fernandes was lucky enough to find unemployed and available; Harry Redknapp.
For another debate we can talk about whether HR should have or could have done better in keeping us up, but for the purposes of this thread HR has in the face of crippling injuries to his best players, a wholesale clearance of un-productive players, introduction of another 15 players ( about ?) within, apparently, a strict budget in terms of contracts issued and signing on fee's kept QPR in the Automatic promotion places nigh on all season.
So wanting a new manager is not on my list of important issues for TF to be addressing.
What is important that we get the structure of the Clubs academy and scouting system up to scratch.
I don't think it's clear whether a first team manager should even hold responsibility for that, so regardless of what happens to HR over the next 18 months, QPR need a hands on Footballing Coach with the highest educational and Coaching qualifications to lead the Academy and development sides forwards.
I would then feel that the shorterm nature of the football managers job would not continue to whittle away at the heart of QPR FC as it has done for the last twenty five to thirty years.
If we need, or deserve something concrete from TF and partners it is that we could put the heart back into the Club from the grass-roots and community level via the Academy.
As far as I'm concerned the days of long term Managers are probably over so why wish for something that is unlikely to happen.
However if Harry can pull this promotion off, I'd be very happy for him to carry on, it might be that he'd finally found a club he could repay with loyalty and support.

Well F**K Me,
Someone with some common sense.
PS.Earlier on I did ask for a name of a Young Rising Manager that we could employ
Result.
ZILTCH

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024