Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few points 19:03 - Aug 24 with 714 viewsbaz_qpr

Did not see the game today but listened on the radio. I thought last week was the best we had played for a long time and reports and the radio suggest today was the polar opposite. So apart from the opposition we have to look at the differences and both games together.

As well as we played last week we did look vulnerable at times. As a newly promoted side we need to a) maintain consistency and b) be hard to beat. I find the selection today strange. Faurlin was our best player last week yet dropped for a new signing, surely you have to earn your chance. Simpson struggled last week and is a far more defensive option than Isla and Austins injury led to him being replaced by a winger. It does seem we made no preparations for the opposition today and we cannot do that away against a top 6 side.

The formation needs to be flexible to cope with talented and high pressing sides
We cannot cope or have the time for too many players learning new positions. Dunnes interview in the Irish independent was interesting, the position is new, his starting position is unnatural to where he has played throughout his career. He is not the only one only Rio (15+ years ago)and Isla have played this formation out of that back 5. Don't know if it was the same today but last week Mutch played in the hole, surely away at Spurs we have to be a tight midfield three pressing and harrying.

We still have a massive hole in the squad for a 9 who can hold the ball up. We can't afford the luxury of Zamora as a super sub we need a big physical 9 to give us an out ball who can play 90 minutes if Austin is injured
A few points on 20:20 - Aug 24 with 593 viewsterryb

Baz,

Below is my take on today that I posted on report. I completely agree with you about last week & I even stupidly thought that we would get something today!

Report is missing your contributions badly. At least I am!

Oh, how pleased I am that I went!

Where do I start? How we commanded all the aerial balls into our penalty area with our three centre halves? That we played a central midfield of three that don't know to pass to their own players? How we were given a lifeline at one nil only for Matt Phillips to extinguish the hope with a woeful effort at converting his one on one.

No. I must start with the fact that we didn't win one tackle in the first half! Every single one of them bottled all challenges. It was a repeat of our capitulatuion two seasons ago. Added to that, we all knew that Richard Dunne wouldn't cope with movement & boy did they move us around!

In that first half, Adebayor (sp) moved every time to the Tottenham left leaving Caulker undecided as to whether he should move with him or remain static marking no man or dangerous space. That left Isla trying to play catch up in retreating to try to ineffectively deal with the problem. At least ferdinand tried to take up covering positions but that left our man from Iteland totally exposed.

It only took five minutes to see that Leroy Fer has played hardly any football since May. I know he was at the world cup, but he hardly played & this was evidend from his lack of mobility, control & passing ability. Unfortuneately, he was excellant with all three compared to Jordon Mutch!

Hopefully, both of these players will go on to have long & sucessful career's with us.

The second half WAS better. To little & to late but an improvement, apart from Isla & Ned getting royally taken to the cleaners for the last goal.

I don't know if we abandoned the three centre backs for all of the second half or if it just evolved that way. However, we looked better when Hed moved to right back & Isla played further forward. We also looked better when BZ came on & linked our play for the first time in the match.

At four nil we even started to win a few tackles & yes, we started to pass to our own players. I'm sure that I'm wrong, but it may just be that Ale Faurlin won more tackles & certainly completed more passes in his twenty minutes than Barton, Fer & Mutch did combined in the opening seventy minutes.

All three subs did well & I felt that Rio was the pick of the rest, but we were carrying a minimum of at least five players today.

Next saturday is now so vital for us. A win (or even a competitive draw) would be nice but more important is that we compete.

Oh, BTW Harry was roundly booed by the traveling Rangers today. Not for his team or tactical selections but for readily responding to Tottenham calls for him to give them a wave. That was the only movement his body made from his seat all match!

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/39804/match-reports-spurs-qpr#ixzz3BL1aex4
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024