Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Willock 08:34 - Feb 13 with 2793 viewstraininvain

Any news on the extent of his injury and how long he might be out?

Disappointed with the result yesterday but we were always going to have a blip between now and the end of this season. Now it’s all about how quickly we bounce back and I suspect a lot will depend on Willock returning quickly.
Willock on 09:41 - Feb 13 with 2682 viewsParkRoyalR

Willock is the difference between a Top 10 finish and a Top 6 finish - the lad is a level above Chair as a 10 and anyone else in our side, moves the ball quicker, turn either way, plays with his head up, fantastic crosser of the ball, hopefully back for Millwall.
Willock on 09:51 - Feb 13 with 2635 viewskernowhoop

Willock on 09:41 - Feb 13 by ParkRoyalR

Willock is the difference between a Top 10 finish and a Top 6 finish - the lad is a level above Chair as a 10 and anyone else in our side, moves the ball quicker, turn either way, plays with his head up, fantastic crosser of the ball, hopefully back for Millwall.

Agreed.
Willock on 10:20 - Feb 13 with 2546 viewsQPRSteve

It's just a minor knock picked up in training. Hopefully back for Millwall.
Willock on 11:10 - Feb 13 with 2373 viewsHunterhoop

Willock on 09:41 - Feb 13 by ParkRoyalR

Agreed.

Personally, I’d play one up top (Dykes, usually) and then 2 of Willock, Chair and Johansen (one would always be Willock) and then 2 genuine central midfielders: Field, Amos/Hendricks who have legs to get about the pitch, press and break up play, and make runs from deep into the box.

2 up to leaves us light in the middle. Johansen, as one of the two central midfielders, leaves us light in the middle to given he doesn’t have the legs for it anymore meaning we get overrun a bit. Further forward his class on the ball tells and he links us up without his lack of legs being an issue. But it means it’s him OR Chair.

Part of the reason we looked so rock solid when Chair was out was often we did go with Field and Amos and then Johansen and Willock, with Dykes up top. We also still scored loads (Reading!). Two up top definitely doesn’t work, but I don’t think Johansen, Chair and Willock works now teams know to play us. When we were forced to break up that 3 we went on a good run….
Willock on 11:22 - Feb 13 with 2331 viewsParkRoyalR

Willock on 11:10 - Feb 13 by Hunterhoop

Agreed.

Personally, I’d play one up top (Dykes, usually) and then 2 of Willock, Chair and Johansen (one would always be Willock) and then 2 genuine central midfielders: Field, Amos/Hendricks who have legs to get about the pitch, press and break up play, and make runs from deep into the box.

2 up to leaves us light in the middle. Johansen, as one of the two central midfielders, leaves us light in the middle to given he doesn’t have the legs for it anymore meaning we get overrun a bit. Further forward his class on the ball tells and he links us up without his lack of legs being an issue. But it means it’s him OR Chair.

Part of the reason we looked so rock solid when Chair was out was often we did go with Field and Amos and then Johansen and Willock, with Dykes up top. We also still scored loads (Reading!). Two up top definitely doesn’t work, but I don’t think Johansen, Chair and Willock works now teams know to play us. When we were forced to break up that 3 we went on a good run….

Agree with this but its a difficult call to not start SJ (if fully fit) and Chair must start imo for ability to retain possession in final 3rd and showing for the ball from our defenders.

Might see some more changes of formation during games going forward, or Chair and Willock playing narrower when we lose possession to reduce the space SJ and Field are trying to cover, noticeable Field is making tackles all over the pitch (last minute versus Boro by dug-out etc) and Chair and Willock need to do more defensively in inside left and inside right areas imo (as Dykes does when pressing centre halves).
Willock on 12:00 - Feb 13 with 2267 viewsdmm

What's been interesting to me have been the changes to our play in the final third through the season.

We all enjoyed the clever triangles on either side of the oppos penalty box usually involving Willock, Chair and Wallace earlier in the season. Those plays seemed to be few and far between now.

When Chair was at AFCON we moved the ball more quickly - slowing play is something Chair tends to do to both good and bad effect - and particularly v Reading reaped the rewards. Willock in particular benefitted from more pace and space being created.

I hope to see the team being able to use both approaches to maximise our attacking capacity.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 12:04]
Willock on 13:20 - Feb 13 with 2098 viewsWestbourneR

Willock on 12:00 - Feb 13 by dmm

What's been interesting to me have been the changes to our play in the final third through the season.

We all enjoyed the clever triangles on either side of the oppos penalty box usually involving Willock, Chair and Wallace earlier in the season. Those plays seemed to be few and far between now.

When Chair was at AFCON we moved the ball more quickly - slowing play is something Chair tends to do to both good and bad effect - and particularly v Reading reaped the rewards. Willock in particular benefitted from more pace and space being created.

I hope to see the team being able to use both approaches to maximise our attacking capacity.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 12:04]

I was very surprised we didn’t bring in some back up and alternatives to Chair and Willock in the window. As we saw on the weekend it only takes one to go down and we’re light on options and goal threat in the creative forward area.

Hendrick is a good player but we didn’t need him. Midfield is stocked to the gunnels.

I’m bit disappointed, when we’re doing so well, that the board didn’t think £750K for Paterson was a price worth paying.

And yeah 2 up front isn’t good. We’re much better off adding an extra man in midfield if Chair and Willock are out.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Willock on 21:58 - Feb 15 with 1549 viewsWestbourneR

Willock on 13:20 - Feb 13 by WestbourneR

I was very surprised we didn’t bring in some back up and alternatives to Chair and Willock in the window. As we saw on the weekend it only takes one to go down and we’re light on options and goal threat in the creative forward area.

Hendrick is a good player but we didn’t need him. Midfield is stocked to the gunnels.

I’m bit disappointed, when we’re doing so well, that the board didn’t think £750K for Paterson was a price worth paying.

And yeah 2 up front isn’t good. We’re much better off adding an extra man in midfield if Chair and Willock are out.

Gonna push this back up.

The signing of Hendricks was a big mistake. Not what we needed at all.

We’re far too reliant on Willock and needed a proper goal scoring creative alternative.

Felt like like we signed Jeff Hendricks just cos we could.

Poor window.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Login to get fewer ads

Willock on 23:54 - Feb 15 with 1345 viewsHunterhoop

Willock on 11:10 - Feb 13 by Hunterhoop

Agreed.

*cough*

All 3 of Willock, Johansen, and Chair does not work, especially with 3 at the back. It means you have one genuine central midfield and so risk getting overrun and broken though.

As I said months and months ago in a thread titled “Johansen”, if you want to play this shape, it’s two from the 3 above. If you want to play all 3 you lose a centre half for a holding midfielder and drop the wing backs to full backs.

You cannot control games with one central midfielder. When Chair was away we were better because Field and Amos played, with Johansen and Willock and one forward. An extra man in the middle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024