Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? 23:27 - Jan 11 with 1227 viewsSonofNorfolt

Apostrophe.

One of the best albums by the great man, but we don't have one any more.

Bring it back. Along with a better badge.
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:33 - Jan 11 with 683 viewsTheBlob

You just knew I would didntcha?

Another link would be Jack Bruce - we nearly got Steve Bruce?

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:36 - Jan 11 with 675 viewsGloryHunter

No point. Native English speakers don't understand the apostrophe any more, thanks to 30 years of shite schooling. We've become a nation of greengrocers. Watch out where the Huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:40 - Jan 11 with 669 viewsSonofNorfolt

It's about time they fukking did then.

A well placed apostrophe would rectify the rupture in Ali's knee.

See it's working already.
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:41 - Jan 11 with 669 viewsTheBlob

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:36 - Jan 11 by GloryHunter

No point. Native English speakers don't understand the apostrophe any more, thanks to 30 years of shite schooling. We've become a nation of greengrocers. Watch out where the Huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.

Or they use it too often to illustrate the plural of something like husky's instead of huskies.

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:54 - Jan 11 with 659 viewsGloryHunter

The greengrocer's apostrophe is an odd one. I've noticed it is often used for "apple's" but never for carrots. "Lettuce's" and "potato's" but not parsnips. I have therefore assumed that the confusion surrounds a singular noun ending in a vowel - greengrocers and their ilk have got the idea that if a word ends in a vowel then the plural requires an apostrophe. I don't think that's in Lynn Truss's book, though. Let's do a survey.
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:57 - Jan 11 with 646 viewsTheBlob

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:54 - Jan 11 by GloryHunter

The greengrocer's apostrophe is an odd one. I've noticed it is often used for "apple's" but never for carrots. "Lettuce's" and "potato's" but not parsnips. I have therefore assumed that the confusion surrounds a singular noun ending in a vowel - greengrocers and their ilk have got the idea that if a word ends in a vowel then the plural requires an apostrophe. I don't think that's in Lynn Truss's book, though. Let's do a survey.

And what about the apostrophe after,as in greengrocers'(something or other).Never quite got over the demise of the semi colon.Didn't it become the Irritable Bowel?

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 00:01 - Jan 12 with 641 viewsted_hendrix

Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!
Father Vivian O'Blivion
Resplendent in his frock
Was whipping up the batter
For the pancakes of his flock

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 00:04 - Jan 12 with 632 viewsGloryHunter

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 00:01 - Jan 12 by ted_hendrix

Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!
Father Vivian O'Blivion
Resplendent in his frock
Was whipping up the batter
For the pancakes of his flock

Fecking hell Ted, that's got me going - I'll have to go and have a puff, for old time's sake . . .
Login to get fewer ads

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 00:14 - Jan 12 with 625 viewsted_hendrix

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 00:04 - Jan 12 by GloryHunter

Fecking hell Ted, that's got me going - I'll have to go and have a puff, for old time's sake . . .

Blow some of that shit my way.

B minor 7

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 05:11 - Jan 12 with 600 viewsexiled_dictator

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 23:36 - Jan 11 by GloryHunter

I am technically a greengrocer.

But planning to become a restauranteur.

Actually, it's gonna be more like

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 07:46 - Jan 12 with 569 viewsrongould

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 05:11 - Jan 12 by exiled_dictator

The Ranger's apostrophe has to come back
It is part of our unique status.
However, in a discussion such as this spellling is important,too.
Restaurant, correct, but restaurateur has no N
Just heard on Radio 4 that Waterstone's is changing it's name to
Waterstones, becauase " no-one understands the apostrophe"
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 07:52 - Jan 12 with 561 viewsWalnut

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 07:46 - Jan 12 by rongould

In one of the recent match programmes, Ron Phillips explained why the apostrophe was dropped. Can I be arsed to find it & explain? Nope
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 07:53 - Jan 12 with 556 viewsrongould

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 07:46 - Jan 12 by rongould

Can't do an edit from my phone, for some reason.

BECAUSE,BECAUSE, BECAUSE
see I can spell it
Great old song by Crosby and The Andrews Sisters too.
(See that The Andrews Sisters, no apostrophes)
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 07:58 - Jan 12 with 550 viewsexiled_dictator

I sometimes wished I had listened in school.
Without a spell checker, I would be even more embarrassed that I already am with my English.
And a spell checker is not something Harry Potter would use.

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:01 - Jan 12 with 548 viewsLofthope

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 05:11 - Jan 12 by exiled_dictator

In a thread about apostrophes, a punctuation mark to denote a missing item such as a letter, how ironic that you added in an extra letter to restaurateur!

I blame the demise of the possesive apostrophe on PC feminist academics who are in denial that the possessive apostrophe denotes the missing 'hi' from the word 'his' which is how possession was described in old(e) English.

In fact, I have great delight at parents' evenings explaining this to English teachers who haven't got a clue! Still, who needs good teachers when kids are clearly getting more and more intelligent every year according to the A Level results.
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:10 - Jan 12 with 542 viewsexiled_dictator

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:01 - Jan 12 by Lofthope

In a thread about apostrophes, a punctuation mark to denote a missing item such as a letter, how ironic that you added in an extra letter to restaurateur!

I blame the demise of the possesive apostrophe on PC feminist academics who are in denial that the possessive apostrophe denotes the missing 'hi' from the word 'his' which is how possession was described in old(e) English.

In fact, I have great delight at parents' evenings explaining this to English teachers who haven't got a clue! Still, who needs good teachers when kids are clearly getting more and more intelligent every year according to the A Level results.

WELL IT MADE SENSE TO ME!

RESTAURA N T

SOMEONE WHO RUNS A RESTAURANT IS A RESTAURANTEUR!

Why the loss of the 'n'? Doesn't make sense. Still a restaurant? What's a restaurat?
And no, we will not be cooking rats; serving them yes, but not serving them.
How's that for English punctuation?

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:33 - Jan 12 with 518 viewsqprwpg

Today I'll go to St. Alfonzo's parish and pray for the apostrophe's return. After some pancakes.

Twitter: @qprwpg

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:51 - Jan 12 with 509 viewsLofthope

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:10 - Jan 12 by exiled_dictator

RESTAURA N T

Why the loss of the 'n'? Doesn't make sense. Still a restaurant? What's a restaurat?

As logical as your argument my be, I'm afraid that the word is still restaurateur.

Have no idea why, but it is probably just one of those evolutionary things, not sure whether restaurant gained an 'n' or restaurateur lost an 'n'. Perhaps restaurants gained an 'n' in recognition of the way chefs 'rant' in them?
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 09:38 - Jan 12 with 473 viewsBazWoT

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:51 - Jan 12 by Lofthope

As logical as your argument my be, I'm afraid that the word is still restaurateur.

Have no idea why, but it is probably just one of those evolutionary things, not sure whether restaurant gained an 'n' or restaurateur lost an 'n'. Perhaps restaurants gained an 'n' in recognition of the way chefs 'rant' in them?

Rest or rant perhaps?

Nah, didn't think so.

Waterstones are dropping there's as it irrelevant in the internet age.

I will always us it in our full name coz I'm a pedantic old git.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 09:45 - Jan 12 with 464 viewsTheBlob

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:10 - Jan 12 by exiled_dictator

RESTAURA N T

It's the difference between gourmet and gourmand.

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 09:58 - Jan 12 with 448 viewsAlbRanger

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 08:51 - Jan 12 by Lofthope

A bit like 'pronounce' dropping the second 'o' when it becomes 'pronunciation'.

Also, I remember being taught that you can't begin a sentence with a conjunction. However, I now constantly see 'and' and 'but' at the beginning. Am I incorrect in my recollection as that is a real bugbear of mine?
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 10:00 - Jan 12 with 436 viewsBazWoT

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 09:58 - Jan 12 by AlbRanger

Also, I remember being taught that you can't begin a sentence with a conjunction. However, I now constantly see 'and' and 'but' at the beginning. Am I incorrect in my recollection as that is a real bugbear of mine?

Totally agree, I was taught the same.

And I'll stand by that!

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 10:02 - Jan 12 with 433 viewsTheBlob

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 09:58 - Jan 12 by AlbRanger

Yeah,but it's an evolutionary language,constantly re-inventing itself.

Innit.

I was always taught it's(there's another one,oops and another apostrophe)"an" Hotel.

What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 10:03 - Jan 12 with 429 viewsrongould

RESTAURA N T

It is one of the French words that we use...

Restaurant is a place that you go to to be "restored/refreshed"
Restauraruer is the person that does the "restoring/refreshing"

It is possible to reduce it even more to say that a restaurantuer is the customer of a restauratuer that owns a restaurant.
What's the difference between Frank Zappa & QPR? on 10:08 - Jan 12 with 416 viewsscot1963

i have an image of ted hendrix looking like frank zappa only because of his avatar when i joined - am i close?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024