Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hughes and his formations 17:10 - Oct 3 with 1974 viewsHeadington

While I think we need stability and certainly don't need another change of manager, these are worrying times. I agree with what Clive says about Hughes' lack of tactical nous, desspite the impression he likes to give of professionalism, and meticulous preparation etc. We must be the only team in the premiership which now persists with 4-4-2. When we were last in the premiership under Gerry Francis, 4-4-2 was the favourite formation and we had ideal players for it. Sinclair and Impey were on the flanks and we had arguably the two best full-backs in the division in Bardsley and Wilson. Compare that with Hughes' line up on Wednesday. Two centre-backs at full-back and two unconvincing wide players, (particularly when there were better options for that role). Park did play wide right for Man U but in a different formation. (And in any case Hughes has been playing him on the left). We got promoted with 4-2-3-1 where everyone knew their role and with the players we have we would be well-suited to 4-3-3 or versions of 4-5-1. To be fair to Warnock, he knew more about formations and how to mould a team and integrate players around it. True, we have injuiries but Hughes then has to respond tactically. If we have more centre backs than full-backs available, he could also have tried three at the back with wing backs. Plus, don't we have young full-backs? Why is it other teams are able to bring in young players they've developed when needed, but we never do? Another worry for me is that we only have 2 recognised fit strikers and Zamora, excellent player though he is, is injury prone.
Hughes and his formations on 17:18 - Oct 3 with 1956 viewsadhoc_qpr

West Ham had a clear gameplan and all the players knew their role in it and even 2 first half injuries didn't disrupt them.

In 10 months Hughes has failed to implement that kind of structure and understanding in our squad, flitting between different formations and players and achieving no consistent performances (even the great home run last year was interspersed with dire away games).

Serious questions can be asked about his tactics, preperations, ability to influence games, man management, favouritism and transfer strategy (2 windows, unbalanced squad, Green/Cesar situation etc).

Stability is all well and good but giving Hughes until December to turn things around is ample time IMO. No more excuse then Hughes.
Hughes and his formations on 17:34 - Oct 3 with 1946 viewsbeeeater

Hughes and his formations on 17:18 - Oct 3 by adhoc_qpr

West Ham had a clear gameplan and all the players knew their role in it and even 2 first half injuries didn't disrupt them.

In 10 months Hughes has failed to implement that kind of structure and understanding in our squad, flitting between different formations and players and achieving no consistent performances (even the great home run last year was interspersed with dire away games).

Serious questions can be asked about his tactics, preperations, ability to influence games, man management, favouritism and transfer strategy (2 windows, unbalanced squad, Green/Cesar situation etc).

Stability is all well and good but giving Hughes until December to turn things around is ample time IMO. No more excuse then Hughes.

I wouldn't even give him until then, as we maybe too far adrift. At this rate I can't see where our first win is going to come from. I really believe Hughes is just another one of these ex Man U players who seem to think they can manage . I'm afraid as bad as it looks , getting rid of yet another manager is the only answer.
And I blame the board for going with Hughes in the first place .
Hughes and his formations on 17:36 - Oct 3 with 1941 viewsJuzzie

"getting rid of yet another manager is the only answer"... and replace him with?

edit: bearing in mind Hughes has all his coaches and backroom staff, they'd go too (also at vast expense collectively) so who would come in along with the new manager and how much more would that cost?

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Hughes and his formations on 17:45 - Oct 3 with 1928 viewsTheBlob

'arry Boy prefers either a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-2-3-1.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Hughes and his formations on 17:49 - Oct 3 with 1919 viewsjohnhoop

Hughes and his formations on 17:36 - Oct 3 by Juzzie

"getting rid of yet another manager is the only answer"... and replace him with?

edit: bearing in mind Hughes has all his coaches and backroom staff, they'd go too (also at vast expense collectively) so who would come in along with the new manager and how much more would that cost?

I fully realize the point you're making but expensive as getting rid of Hughes (who I'm beginning to believe is tactically f---ing clueless) and his thousands of backroom staff would be, it's going to cost us a helluva a lot more if he drags us down into the championship and we miss out on next year's TV deal.
Hughes and his formations on 17:52 - Oct 3 with 1906 viewsJuzzie

Hughes and his formations on 17:45 - Oct 3 by TheBlob

I though he prefered something more like 40-13-08
Hughes and his formations on 17:53 - Oct 3 with 1904 viewsade_qpr

Hughes and his formations on 17:45 - Oct 3 by TheBlob

Is that the vault no for the Bank of England?
Will need a little robbery if he comes to the Bush with how many new players?

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Hughes and his formations on 17:54 - Oct 3 with 1899 viewsJuzzie

Hughes and his formations on 17:49 - Oct 3 by johnhoop

I fully realize the point you're making but expensive as getting rid of Hughes (who I'm beginning to believe is tactically f---ing clueless) and his thousands of backroom staff would be, it's going to cost us a helluva a lot more if he drags us down into the championship and we miss out on next year's TV deal.

Very true.... but when people (anyone) suggests getting rid of the manager it would be nice to make a suggestion as to who should be the new one.

Anyone can say 'get rid of the manager' and then just sit back.

Login to get fewer ads

Hughes and his formations on 17:56 - Oct 3 with 1892 viewsTheBlob

Hughes and his formations on 17:52 - Oct 3 by Juzzie

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Hughes and his formations on 17:56 - Oct 3 with 1890 viewsgueRRilla

Hughes and his formations on 17:57 - Oct 3 with 1880 viewsade_qpr

tight ass

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Hughes and his formations on 18:02 - Oct 3 with 1870 viewsjohnhoop

Hughes and his formations on 17:54 - Oct 3 by Juzzie

Very true.... but when people (anyone) suggests getting rid of the manager it would be nice to make a suggestion as to who should be the new one.

Anyone can say 'get rid of the manager' and then just sit back.

There you've got me I'm afraid-I can't see any obvious outstanding candidates and that may be what keeps Hughes in his position but it's getting bloody difficult to feel any degree of optimism about the outcome if we do stick with him.
Hughes and his formations on 18:07 - Oct 3 with 1859 viewsgueRRilla

Hughes and his formations on 17:34 - Oct 3 by beeeater

I wouldn't even give him until then, as we maybe too far adrift. At this rate I can't see where our first win is going to come from. I really believe Hughes is just another one of these ex Man U players who seem to think they can manage . I'm afraid as bad as it looks , getting rid of yet another manager is the only answer.
And I blame the board for going with Hughes in the first place .

As said before by myself and others:
0-5 Swansea - Bad result
1-1 Norwich - Unsurprising, plus they're a bit of a bogey team
3-1 City - Unsurprising
0-0 Chelsea - Good result given their form
2-1 Tottenham - Unsurprising and we were very unlucky/naive
2-3 Reading - Poor
1-2 West Ham - Poor

But some points.
1) Going to capitalise ahem... IT TAKES HUGHES' TEAMS ON AVERAGE ABOUT TEN GAMES TO GET GOING.
2) The results, while poor so far, have not been as universally awful as portrayed, and have contained some inspiring moments.
3) Given WH game, Hughes almost certainly going to revamp formation, tactics etc. Introduce Taarabt, Hoillet etc.
4) We have a defensive injury crisis which will (hopefully) shortly sort itself out.

Reaching for the hatchet when we have a manager who has been relatively successful at Blackburn, Fulham and City, with the ability to land big name players and now with a full backroom staff of his men is pure madness. People need to calm down and evaluate logically. I'm still very confident we'll be fine this year. Patience.
Hughes and his formations on 18:11 - Oct 3 with 1850 viewsCHUBBS

Besides attracting some very good players,i just don't see what he's brought to the club.He makes the same mistakes over and over yet never takes responsibility. Tactically he's been pretty clueless since he 1st came with worst run of away results i can ever remember.He's spent about 40/50 million on players paying massively over inflated wages yet we've actually got worse.
I would like nothing more than to see MH turn this around but i've seen little in his tenure to suggest he's capable of succeeding.
Hughes and his formations on 18:18 - Oct 3 with 1843 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

This thread is bollox.
Hughes is trying as hard as is reasonably possible to field a settled side. That's not easy when you have all four fullbacks and several others out injured.
He doesn't persist in playing 4-4-2. He's played 4-5-1 and 4-4-1-1 depending on who's available. Johnson and Zamora were his first choice up front now it's Cisse and Zamora.
On Monday it was the same formation and midfield four as against Man City, Chelsea and Spurs. I don't remember anyone complaining much about it after those games.

Hughes and his formations on 18:20 - Oct 3 with 1839 viewsbeeeater

Hughes and his formations on 18:07 - Oct 3 by gueRRilla

0-5 Swansea - Bad result
3-1 City - Unsurprising
2-3 Reading - Poor
1-2 West Ham - Poor

But some points.
1) Going to capitalise ahem... IT TAKES HUGHES' TEAMS ON AVERAGE ABOUT TEN GAMES TO GET GOING.
2) The results, while poor so far, have not been as universally awful as portrayed, and have contained some inspiring moments.
3) Given WH game, Hughes almost certainly going to revamp formation, tactics etc. Introduce Taarabt, Hoillet etc.
4) We have a defensive injury crisis which will (hopefully) shortly sort itself out.

Reaching for the hatchet when we have a manager who has been relatively successful at Blackburn, Fulham and City, with the ability to land big name players and now with a full backroom staff of his men is pure madness. People need to calm down and evaluate logically. I'm still very confident we'll be fine this year. Patience.

I hope your right, and I hope Hughes proves me wrong . I don't think he's record is all that good , and fans of city and fulham don't think that highly of him. Personaly I think Rednapp is the only option , to get the players playing again. Its almost a carbon copy of last seasons start and you sense from the players attitude on the pitch that they are not happy about things. Not panicing and showing patience with Hughes is also ironic considering he's handling of the Green situation
Hughes and his formations on 18:38 - Oct 3 with 1820 viewsTHEBUSH

There's nothing wrong in playing 4-4-2, if the players stick to it, but we are a shambles with players straying out of position, all the time.
Two rows of 4 are difficult to get by, if the players don't stray.
So probably a safer system for us to play is, 4-2-3-1 and hopefully the two defensive midfielders keep their positions.
I think our coaching staff have a lot to answer for, if they can't get the players to keep their positions.
Hughes and his formations on 19:01 - Oct 3 with 1800 viewsTacticalR

Hughes and his formations on 18:07 - Oct 3 by gueRRilla

0-5 Swansea - Bad result
3-1 City - Unsurprising
2-3 Reading - Poor
1-2 West Ham - Poor

But some points.

If it takes Hughes 'Ten games to get going', and Hughes 'does not do away results', then we have to win virtually every home game after the first ten games:

There are 38 games in a season, with 114 points available.

Take out the first ten games you have 28 games with 84 points available.

Hughes does not do away results, so that leaves us with 14 games and 42 points available.

On average since the start of the Premiership, the number of points needed to stay up has been 38 points (although it has been as high as 44 points). So we are working with some pretty fine margins here.

Air hostess clique

Hughes and his formations on 19:05 - Oct 3 with 1793 viewsSomersetHoops

More worrying is that Amit and the Mittal connections are very unimpressed with the direction of travel for our club and are beginning to think even with everything in place at QPR we seem to mess it up and might not be woth the money and pain.

If Hughes and his army of backroom staff can't respond quickly to our midfield getting overun on the pitch are any of them any good?

Lets face it we've had our worse start for years, possibly ever and after the money that has been spent the excuses are beginnig to wear a bit thin. Its time for Hughes to admit he's got it wrong and take some responsibility and start to get it right. If he can't do that its time for him to FO.

Who's Next?

Hughes and his formations on 21:01 - Oct 3 with 1755 viewsHeadington

It is true that Hughes has played different formations and at least towards the end of last season in home games we seemed to have a system that was working. But he hasn't built on that and in the last two home games he has got formation all wrong. Injuries haven't helped the defence but in other areas of the pitch he is still unclear on what his best team is and how we should be playing.
Hughes and his formations on 07:54 - Oct 4 with 1697 viewscorse

mark hughes is a piss poor manager who favours his old pals and what ever formation of his old pals he puts into the pitch you can be sure this misery will continue.
ten games to get it going, my ass, he has now had ten months to get it going and we are a the bottom of the table. continuity in relegation dogfight is the continuity we can expect keeping mr hughes in charge. also the continuity playing inept park for the far east owners and swp on the right. also you can expect some continuity in january when he signs more old pals. if they are still in somekind of breathing condition and can walk without crutches.
Hughes and his formations on 10:59 - Oct 4 with 1644 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Hughes and his formations on 21:01 - Oct 3 by Headington

It is true that Hughes has played different formations and at least towards the end of last season in home games we seemed to have a system that was working. But he hasn't built on that and in the last two home games he has got formation all wrong. Injuries haven't helped the defence but in other areas of the pitch he is still unclear on what his best team is and how we should be playing.

Hardly surprising after buying 12 new players in the summer. Fernandes and Hughes made a conscious decision to sacrifice short term improvement for the longer term. They could have settled for a goalie, CB and CM and just built on last seasons late improvement.

If people did not see these events coming they must be thick as two short planks.
Hughes and his formations on 11:57 - Oct 4 with 1614 viewsTHEBUSH

Hughes and his formations on 19:05 - Oct 3 by SomersetHoops

More worrying is that Amit and the Mittal connections are very unimpressed with the direction of travel for our club and are beginning to think even with everything in place at QPR we seem to mess it up and might not be woth the money and pain.

If Hughes and his army of backroom staff can't respond quickly to our midfield getting overun on the pitch are any of them any good?

Lets face it we've had our worse start for years, possibly ever and after the money that has been spent the excuses are beginnig to wear a bit thin. Its time for Hughes to admit he's got it wrong and take some responsibility and start to get it right. If he can't do that its time for him to FO.

If the Mittals are so concerned about the direction our club is going in, why didn't they buy us outright and take us in the direction they wanted us to go !!
Some people on this board have said the Mittals wanted us go and build a team with young players, which is OK, so why didn't they do it ?
Tony Fernandes came along and bought our club at the asking price, so the Mittals can have no complaints about whats going on now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024