Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk gone 15:59 - Dec 9 with 2083 viewssimmo

Such a shame. Read an article just a month or so ago that praised everything about him - a huge collapse in form and results since.

I'm sure he wil come back though, he's obviously a very good young manager

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Monk gone on 16:05 - Dec 9 with 2052 viewspaulparker

is he a good manager though ?? what has he achieved ?

he took over a well run established club that had been well managed by jacket, souza, Martinez & Rodgers , he had a good squad of players , and a decent budget
yes the sacking seems harsh as the wont be relegated
but if monk wants to be considered a good manager he needs to go down the leagues and work from bottom , I bet he doesn't though

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Monk gone on 16:08 - Dec 9 with 2036 viewsexiled_dictator

brendan rodgers seemingly going back to wear the welsh shoes.
don't think that monk actually did anything, other than ride the crest of wave from previous managers. talked a talk. walked a walk, but at the end of the day, he didn't bring anything new to the swansea table and when things started to unravel he didn't have a clue how to handle it or what to do.
maybe he should start further back down the managerial ladder, get some experience and work his way back. he is still very young so has time on his side. seemed an odd appointment at the time, and so it has proved to be a jump too far for him.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Monk gone on 16:08 - Dec 9 with 2027 viewseccles

Here you go konk. You could (and probably will) do a lot worse...
Monk gone on 16:09 - Dec 9 with 2023 viewsJamie

Much like Brenton, it's impossible to know if he's any good a manager as everybody looks good at Swansea.
Monk gone on 16:14 - Dec 9 with 1999 viewssimmo

Monk gone on 16:05 - Dec 9 by paulparker

is he a good manager though ?? what has he achieved ?

he took over a well run established club that had been well managed by jacket, souza, Martinez & Rodgers , he had a good squad of players , and a decent budget
yes the sacking seems harsh as the wont be relegated
but if monk wants to be considered a good manager he needs to go down the leagues and work from bottom , I bet he doesn't though

Be fair, PP, much more 'renowned' managers than him had a shot with Swansea and he achieved more than any of them. He had the highest win % in this league, they broke all the club records and until Bony was sold they were playing good football and being successful, all on a comparitavely miniscule budget.

It would be like Clint Hill taking over QPR in the premier league after we sacked Hughes and leading us to 8th.

Not being able to replace Bony has been their issue, never rated Gomis but the Swansea way is that if you can't find a suitable replacement in line with their budget restrictions, you work with what you have. A shame but no bad way to run a club.

I hope he does drop down as you say but think he's done far more than the likes of Tim Sherwood (and Tim Sherwood) to deserve another decent job.

Monk gone on 16:17 - Dec 9 with 1991 viewssimmo

Monk gone on 16:08 - Dec 9 by exiled_dictator

brendan rodgers seemingly going back to wear the welsh shoes.
don't think that monk actually did anything, other than ride the crest of wave from previous managers. talked a talk. walked a walk, but at the end of the day, he didn't bring anything new to the swansea table and when things started to unravel he didn't have a clue how to handle it or what to do.
maybe he should start further back down the managerial ladder, get some experience and work his way back. he is still very young so has time on his side. seemed an odd appointment at the time, and so it has proved to be a jump too far for him.

He actually introduced loads of innovative things at Swansea, like the sleep tents, etc. I can't recall them all but there was an article in the Guardian a while back that went through a lot of them. As per Jimmy at Burton really, there was already a decent template, he just tweaked things and took them to the next level.

Monk gone on 16:31 - Dec 9 with 1922 viewspaulparker

Monk gone on 16:14 - Dec 9 by simmo

Be fair, PP, much more 'renowned' managers than him had a shot with Swansea and he achieved more than any of them. He had the highest win % in this league, they broke all the club records and until Bony was sold they were playing good football and being successful, all on a comparitavely miniscule budget.

It would be like Clint Hill taking over QPR in the premier league after we sacked Hughes and leading us to 8th.

Not being able to replace Bony has been their issue, never rated Gomis but the Swansea way is that if you can't find a suitable replacement in line with their budget restrictions, you work with what you have. A shame but no bad way to run a club.

I hope he does drop down as you say but think he's done far more than the likes of Tim Sherwood (and Tim Sherwood) to deserve another decent job.

Im not saying he is an awful manager Simmo , but the OP said he was a good manager ,
now a good manager in my eyes is a bloke who wins trophies, who drags a team from div2 up to the championship on a shoestring
he was lucky as Swansea is stable club who always finish in the top 10,
yes they had to sell Bony , but most clubs bar Chelsea & City have to sell there best players ,( although I do agree on Gomis being pony)
I do think the sacking was harsh as they would never have been relegated but with Breandumb lurking in the background it was only a matter of time
the real test for monk is if he takes over a struggling club then I would like to see what he can do

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Monk gone on 20:04 - Dec 9 with 1663 viewsderbyhoop

Swansea fan on the radio saying that quite a few of the players downed tools.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2015 20:05]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Monk gone on 20:36 - Dec 9 with 1592 viewsWadR

Remember reading this article in the summer - http://statsbomb.com/2015/06/were-swansea-lucky-to-finish-8th/

Which, while a little too stat heavy, is quite interesting. Kinda highlights just how, just by good luck and the exceptional form of Bony and Ki, it all clicked last season. It at least shows the calls last season of Monk for England were a little premature.
Monk gone on 20:53 - Dec 9 with 1535 viewsCHUBBS

Monk gone on 16:09 - Dec 9 by Jamie

Much like Brenton, it's impossible to know if he's any good a manager as everybody looks good at Swansea.

The same could be said for JFH as I can't remember Burton having a bad manager.
As for Monk I never rated him that highly,always felt he got lucky taking over such a talented well balanced squad.
He reminds me of CR a little,lovely fella but just hasn't got the qualities to be a top league manager.
Monk gone on 21:13 - Dec 9 with 1496 viewsted_hendrix

I think a Manager should be judged by not only when things are going good but when things go 'tits up' for example when the results aren't so good for a period of time can they turn it around?
Moanino hasn't turned things around nor did Monk (paid the price) and I think that bloke at manure the stunningly boring Louis van gullible is crap and full of shit.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Monk gone on 21:21 - Dec 9 with 1467 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not relevant to his sacking, but did I read somewhere he's a QPR fan? Or is that total bollocks?
Monk gone on 22:14 - Dec 9 with 1397 viewsThGrimRanger

I wager he'll end up down the road with the tarquins.

TheGrimRanger

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024