Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jean-Luc Godard RIP 14:23 - Sep 13 with 1577 viewsflynnbo

Studied New Wave films as part of my French degree back in the day. A legend amongst filmmakers..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62886470

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46709681
[Post edited 13 Sep 2022 14:24]
Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 14:30 - Sep 13 with 1524 viewsSonofpugwash

Alphaville was a good movie.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 14:38 - Sep 13 with 1504 viewsTheChef

Zut alors.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 14:41 - Sep 13 with 1497 viewsHantsR

I can well remember enjoying Weekend and of course, Sympathy for the Devil. Watched at Goldsmiths' College cinema with my girl of the time as I recall. (Actually, still with that girl!)
Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 14:50 - Sep 13 with 1473 views222gers

Quote Dave Frishberg's I'm Hip:

Got my suit buttoned tight and my suedes on
Watchin' arty French flics with my shades on

RIP
Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 14:52 - Sep 13 with 1469 viewsBoston

Any relation to Paul?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 15:16 - Sep 13 with 1429 viewshubble

A Bout de Souffle - Breathless - absolute genius. Jean-Luc Godard, chapeau!

Little known factoid for you - a friend of mine, Cy Lester, now in his 80s, was living at the Beat Hotel in Paris (in the room above William Burroughs) at the time this movie was made, and making a living selling the Herald Tribune. The yellow Herald Tribune T-shirt Jean Seberg is wearing in the movie was his; the film crew were setting up and Godard spotted him selling the paper, and asked him if Seberg could borrow it. He was hardly going to say no, was he.

How stylish the world was back then!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 16:04 - Sep 13 with 1376 viewsEastR

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 15:16 - Sep 13 by hubble

Little known factoid for you - a friend of mine, Cy Lester, now in his 80s, was living at the Beat Hotel in Paris (in the room above William Burroughs) at the time this movie was made, and making a living selling the Herald Tribune. The yellow Herald Tribune T-shirt Jean Seberg is wearing in the movie was his; the film crew were setting up and Godard spotted him selling the paper, and asked him if Seberg could borrow it. He was hardly going to say no, was he.

Great story that

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 16:21 - Sep 13 with 1350 viewsflynnbo

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 15:16 - Sep 13 by hubble

Wow, what a story! My avatar is a photo of Jean Seberg from A Bout de Souffle. Her death at such a young age is a tragic story in itself.
Login to get fewer ads

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 16:57 - Sep 13 with 1308 viewsBoston

Was Monsieur Lester about eight and a half stone then?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 17:17 - Sep 13 with 1284 viewshubble

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 16:57 - Sep 13 by Boston

Was Monsieur Lester about eight and a half stone then?

yeah, probably Boz, he's about 5' 7" and he was early 20s then, and half-starved.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2022 17:53]

Jean-Luc Godard RIP on 17:31 - Sep 13 with 1255 viewshubble

Addendum to above: I emailed Cy about this earlier, and I've just seen his reply:

" - Not only is Jean Seberg wearing my yellow Herald Tribune jersey (she is), there is footage in the film shot at the Herald Tribune office, of a scene with J-L G filming, and familiar figures from them days - like Mr Gendleman my kindly office manager. (All I had to do was walk from the office with the 'addresograph' machine I was working - into the front office to be in J-L G's lens-eye. That morning I was in the building in rue de Berri (just off Champs Elysee) when the great kerfuffle was underway (I was told they were making a film) which meant I spent that morning sitting outside a cafe with the Herald Tribune's most illustrious humourist-writer - a huge fat guy - Art Buchwald. Full of questions was Art - and I had plenty to say. He became very interested in my tales of life in the Beat hotel (which he followed up by interviewing Gregory Corso & wrote a 'knock piece' for the folks back home).
When you are from Fareham, you never know when you are in the avant-garde of events ... until decades later.
That was just one more day."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024