Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Korean war anniversary 23:43 - Jul 11 with 2065 viewsCiderwithRsie

Can't do links, but:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10173723/Hundreds-of-Korean-War-veterans-march-f
may be if some interest to some on here - my old man is still a proud die-hard and was in the first British battalion ashore namely 1st bn Middx Regt, largely made up of national servicemen from West London, part of the "Cinderella Brigade", who landed without artillery, armour or other supporting arms
Korean war anniversary on 08:39 - Jul 12 with 2025 viewsMrSheen

Does he get a mention in this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorched-Earth-Black-Snow-Korean/dp/1845137752/ref=sr_1_
An excellent book. It seems amazing that both the men and their leaders knew so little about where they were going and the ordeal that was waiting for them. There must be some amazing stories on the Chinese side, if they've ever come out.
Korean war anniversary on 10:45 - Jul 12 with 2008 viewsPommyhoop

Korean war anniversary on 08:39 - Jul 12 by MrSheen

Does he get a mention in this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorched-Earth-Black-Snow-Korean/dp/1845137752/ref=sr_1_
An excellent book. It seems amazing that both the men and their leaders knew so little about where they were going and the ordeal that was waiting for them. There must be some amazing stories on the Chinese side, if they've ever come out.

My Grandad was there.He told me alot about North Africa and Italy.He said Italy was bad.He wouldnt say much about Korea(it was that bad).Recons the Chinese just came in waves and waves.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Korean war anniversary on 11:29 - Jul 12 with 1989 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It's sad how as more time passes there are less and less veterans.

I remember in 1990 the 50th of the Battle of Britain loads of old pilots commemorating Luftwaffe and RAF and now nearly all are gone.

The Gloucesters' took on a whole f'kin army. THAT is what being British is about.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Korean war anniversary on 11:33 - Jul 12 with 1985 viewsdanehoop

Took on a whole army and were in the end only stopped when they ran out of things to fire back with.

Never knowingly understood

Korean war anniversary on 11:37 - Jul 12 with 1979 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Korean war anniversary on 11:33 - Jul 12 by danehoop

Took on a whole army and were in the end only stopped when they ran out of things to fire back with.

Incredible action.

Like the 'Chindits' it's sadly become a 'forgotten war/army'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Korean war anniversary on 12:49 - Jul 12 with 1966 viewsMaggsinho

Korean war anniversary on 11:33 - Jul 12 by danehoop

Famously described the situation with fantastic understatement as a "bit sticky" which meant the Americans never realised how bad things were there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1316777/The-day-650-Glosters-faced-100
Korean war anniversary on 13:05 - Jul 12 with 1958 viewshoopstilidie

1000 British soldiers taken prisoner, none of them were ever found.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Korean war anniversary on 13:46 - Jul 12 with 1949 viewsenfieldargh

frightening.

This war hardly gets a mention

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Korean war anniversary on 16:32 - Jul 12 with 1923 viewsGloucs_R

Korean war anniversary on 12:49 - Jul 12 by Maggsinho

Famously described the situation with fantastic understatement as a "bit sticky" which meant the Americans never realised how bad things were there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1316777/The-day-650-Glosters-faced-100

Proud heritage and still remembered down here.

My Grandad served in the Navy during the Korean war, pulling bodies out of the sea after a mine blew up one of their ships haunted him until his final days of life. RIP Gramps.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Korean war anniversary on 19:47 - Jul 12 with 1901 viewsCiderwithRsie

Korean war anniversary on 13:46 - Jul 12 by enfieldargh

frightening.

This war hardly gets a mention

All very true re Imjin River, but I have to say that my dad and his mates were always a bit narked that every time Korea is mentioned the Glorious Glosters get all the, well, glory, with no mention of the Middx and Argylls, who were first on the ground and had fought there for months, without any heavy weapons, transport or support units other than those the Americans provided, before the Glosters got out there. Probably unfairly, they always reckoned that the Midds wouldn't have surrendered but would have made a fighting retreat.

As Gloucs says, quite rightly people round here [Glos] are still proud of the old county regiment and the Imjin River; I think it's a bit of a shame that west London doesn't seem to even know about the Middlesex Regt [now Princess of Wales'] even though countless west Londoners served in it in two world wars
Korean war anniversary on 19:58 - Jul 12 with 1895 viewsted_hendrix

The Glorious Glosters was as I remembered them, I was in the Royal Green Jackets late 60s and I remember reading about them, they were I believe the only regiment in the British Army who were allowed to wear two cap badges in honour of their heroism, one at the front and one at the back of the beret.
God bless them all.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Korean war anniversary on 20:56 - Jul 12 with 1887 viewssmegma

My Dad was in the Middlesex Regiment and as mentioned it was mainly national service conscripts from West London. My dad was 18 when he was put on a boat and spent two weeks travelling to Korea via Kong Kong and Japan ( to this day he tells anyone who will listen 'Hong Kong and Japan were sh*tholes'). I've seen the letters he wrote to my Mum and his parents and it sounded frightening to say the least. He fought alongside classmates from Notting Hill and but only my Dad and one mate survive today. He'll be 81 in December and to me he'll always be a war hero.
Korean war anniversary on 09:25 - Jul 13 with 1843 viewsBrightonhoop

Fascinating thread. My Dad told me everyone was shit scared of going to Malay or Korea for N and he got 'lucky' going to Suez instead which meant survival rate was much higher. Nearly 1300 died in Suez, and it took 50 years for acknowledgement, so much still to read on Korea.
Korean war anniversary on 15:53 - Jul 13 with 1812 viewsPommyhoop

My Grandad.WW2 North Africa and Italy and Korea medals on show.If you look close enough you'll probably find a QPR pin tucked away somewhere.
Top Man.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Korean war anniversary on 18:03 - Jul 13 with 1788 viewsthemodfather

Korean war anniversary on 15:53 - Jul 13 by Pommyhoop

My Grandad.WW2 North Africa and Italy and Korea medals on show.If you look close enough you'll probably find a QPR pin tucked away somewhere.
Top Man.

isn't this war still ongoing as no treaty ever signed?
as ever i would salute/respect ALL who had served
and the pic of the gent proudly wearing his medals top notch.
Korean war anniversary on 22:10 - Jul 13 with 1756 viewsisawqpratwcity

Korean war anniversary on 09:25 - Jul 13 by Brightonhoop

Fascinating thread. My Dad told me everyone was shit scared of going to Malay or Korea for N and he got 'lucky' going to Suez instead which meant survival rate was much higher. Nearly 1300 died in Suez, and it took 50 years for acknowledgement, so much still to read on Korea.

Fascinating indeed.

I remember my Dad telling me he was lucky to avoid being called up for the Korean war as the regiment he would have been in was overrun by the Chinese. I never really took that to heart (the Korean war seemed so remote to a kid in the late sixties- all the comicss were about WWll) but presumably he was referring to the Middlesex regiment.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024