Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 13:03 - Aug 19 with 15073 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One will enjoy this methinks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23756039

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:29 - Aug 19 with 8695 viewsR_from_afar

Interesting, thanks, I might have to give that a go. I studied German so it will be a good refresher course! Just what the German for "sniper" is escapes me at the moment!

On another note, how much did you enjoy "Enter Sandman" before the kick-off? I loved it.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:36 - Aug 19 with 8660 viewsMetallica_Hoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:29 - Aug 19 by R_from_afar

Interesting, thanks, I might have to give that a go. I studied German so it will be a good refresher course! Just what the German for "sniper" is escapes me at the moment!

On another note, how much did you enjoy "Enter Sandman" before the kick-off? I loved it.

RFA

"Russki Kaput!, Hand Hoche""alarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm"

Wasn't there Saturday, season tickets interfere with my evening work. Was it the edited version the played last season or the whole thing?

Will be at Swindon.

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:37 - Aug 19 with 8658 viewsRblock_James

Looks quality.

When's it out?
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:41 - Aug 19 with 8641 viewsMetallica_Hoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:37 - Aug 19 by Rblock_James

Looks quality.

When's it out?

Doesn't say, I suspect they'll be trailers etc nearer.

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:43 - Aug 19 with 8629 viewsR_from_afar

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:36 - Aug 19 by Metallica_Hoop

"Russki Kaput!, Hand Hoche""alarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm"

Wasn't there Saturday, season tickets interfere with my evening work. Was it the edited version the played last season or the whole thing?

Will be at Swindon.

Shame you missed the game, we did pretty well, although only a sharp Green save avoided an early goal for Ipswich. A highlight was after the final whistle, when Green slung the ball at the away fans, who had been giving him dog's abuse for much of the game, chanting things like "USA, USA".

It was the tail end of the track. I don't remember it from last season but perhaps that's down to senility!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:46 - Aug 19 with 8616 viewsMetallica_Hoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:43 - Aug 19 by R_from_afar

Shame you missed the game, we did pretty well, although only a sharp Green save avoided an early goal for Ipswich. A highlight was after the final whistle, when Green slung the ball at the away fans, who had been giving him dog's abuse for much of the game, chanting things like "USA, USA".

It was the tail end of the track. I don't remember it from last season but perhaps that's down to senility!

RFA

Yeah was just reading about that on their forum. Some of them moaning most decent about it.

It was morphed with 'Back in Black' and stopped at the good bit. Grrrr just when I was about to start headbanging

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:48 - Aug 19 with 8600 viewsMetallica_Hoop

OMG

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:50 - Aug 19 with 8592 viewsTheBlob

Refreshingly devoid of American uniforms.You tell a Yank the Russians won the war and not John Wayne and they won't believe you.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 14:36 - Aug 19 with 8504 viewswhittocksRs

No set broadcast date yet. Expect it'll be before the end of the year.

I saw some of this a few months back at a screening and can confirm it is excellent telly.

Caused absolutely uproar in Germany, as they tend to cover WWII without allusions to violence, torture etc and more from a sociological POV and this does the exact opposite. The German 'Band of Brothers' is how it's pitched.

Definitely a good buy by the Beeb.

Disclaimer: I'm a TV industry hack, so sometimes get the chance to catch the international stuff early.
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 14:52 - Aug 19 with 8480 viewsMetallica_Hoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 14:36 - Aug 19 by whittocksRs

I saw some of this a few months back at a screening and can confirm it is excellent telly.

Caused absolutely uproar in Germany, as they tend to cover WWII without allusions to violence, torture etc and more from a sociological POV and this does the exact opposite. The German 'Band of Brothers' is how it's pitched.

Disclaimer: I'm a TV industry hack, so sometimes get the chance to catch the international stuff early.

Thanks for that.

I'm already sold, any trailer that starts with a Tiger I advancing to explosions gets my attention.

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 15:16 - Aug 19 with 8440 viewsHollowayRanger

will the fatherland win this time?

looks good 3 parter not sure how long each one is mind

wish we would do some more about our own troops

8th army
commandos
para's arherm
dunkirk
d-day
burma

its not as if we didnt blooming fight everywhere!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 15:27 - Aug 19 with 8421 viewsElHoop

The picture has an 'Enemy at the Gates' sort of feel to it -- loved that film.
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 15:31 - Aug 19 with 8411 viewssoupandhoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:29 - Aug 19 by R_from_afar

RFA

schniper
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 17:16 - Aug 19 with 8324 viewsQPRDave

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 15:31 - Aug 19 by soupandhoop

schniper

Jurgen Klinsmann ???!
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 17:33 - Aug 19 with 8297 viewsCiderwithRsie

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 14:36 - Aug 19 by whittocksRs

"they tend to cover WWII without allusions to violence..."

Presumably they cover the flower-arranging and folk dancing in-depth?
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 18:26 - Aug 19 with 8239 viewsR_from_afar

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 15:31 - Aug 19 by soupandhoop

schniper

Come on, own up: Are you Joey Barton or Steve McClaren?

The actual word is der Scharfschütze or die Scharfschützin. Those words also mean "sharp shooter," as you had probably guessed. I am not claiming to have remembered those words, I had to cheat and use an online dictionary.

RFA

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 19:07 - Aug 19 with 8199 viewsRblock_James

Any idea if it's based on the book 'The Forgotten Soldier'?
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 19:52 - Aug 19 with 8159 viewswhittocksRs

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 17:33 - Aug 19 by CiderwithRsie

"they tend to cover WWII without allusions to violence..."

Presumably they cover the flower-arranging and folk dancing in-depth?

Yeah, they do the soul-searchy 'why did Hitler murder millions and why didn't we stop it' kind of thing. They're not big on spelling out what happened in the camps and the general non-stop violence.
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 20:05 - Aug 19 with 8145 viewsToast_R

Stalingrad was pretty good which was a German take on the battle. Horrible death them poor buggers were sent to.

I see there is a Russian version due out this year. Will be interesting.
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 20:10 - Aug 19 with 8134 viewssoupandhoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 18:26 - Aug 19 by R_from_afar

Come on, own up: Are you Joey Barton or Steve McClaren?

The actual word is der Scharfschütze or die Scharfschützin. Those words also mean "sharp shooter," as you had probably guessed. I am not claiming to have remembered those words, I had to cheat and use an online dictionary.

RFA

Cheats never prosper.
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 20:11 - Aug 19 with 8132 viewssoupandhoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 17:16 - Aug 19 by QPRDave

Jurgen Klinsmann ???!

No ,Diver
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 20:14 - Aug 19 with 8123 viewssoupandhoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 17:16 - Aug 19 by QPRDave

Jurgen Klinsmann ???!

Thought Downfall was good
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 20:31 - Aug 19 with 8106 viewsMrSheen

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 19:07 - Aug 19 by Rblock_James

Any idea if it's based on the book 'The Forgotten Soldier'?

Probably not, as the hero was French.

Did anyone else sit through all of Die Zweite Heimat? The riveting story of the sixties in Germany, with Clarissa playing the cello and trying to kill herself, and lovely ginger Helga writhing around in her undies while Hermann looked moodily out of the window.

The bar has been set pretty high.
New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 20:31 - Aug 19 with 8102 viewsMonahoop

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 13:50 - Aug 19 by TheBlob

Refreshingly devoid of American uniforms.You tell a Yank the Russians won the war and not John Wayne and they won't believe you.

John Wayne won the wild west. Robert Mitchum won WW2 for the Yanks so I've heard them say in the US of A.

I like war films from a German perspective. Always strong emphasis on the futility of war and the outcomes for them. Less gung ho than Americans or bulldog spirit {whatever that was} than the British. Ever seen a spirited bulldog?

All Quiet on the Western Front [the original] Das Boot, Stalingrad etc, great films. If this drama is based on something like The Forgotten Soldier, then I think it would make pretty grim, but compelling watching.

Wish they would make a series of the satirical Gunner Ashe stories.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 21:15 - Aug 19 with 8060 viewsCiderwithRsie

New German War Drama coming to BBC2 on 19:52 - Aug 19 by whittocksRs

Yeah, they do the soul-searchy 'why did Hitler murder millions and why didn't we stop it' kind of thing. They're not big on spelling out what happened in the camps and the general non-stop violence.

Verging a bit off-topic, but I've seen/read plenty on the issue of how the Nazis took power, why did so many Germans go along with it etc [all perfectly good questions] but I've recently started wondering just why were the Japanese such b*stards in the 30s/40s? Didn't lose WW1, didn't have the de-humanising effects of the trenches, didn't have hyperinflation, don't think they were hurt by the Depression more than anyone else, didn't really have an equivalent of Hitler or Stalin [various leaders seem to have come and gone,] but no-one seems to ask why they suddenly swept across Asia massacring millions of Chinese and Koreans, not to mention unspeakable treatment of PoWs etc. Then back home for a few exquisite haikus about cherry blossom and a tea ceremony.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024