Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Desire" 21:52 - Mar 11 with 2610 viewsJigsore

Could we stop with this meaningless buzzword? Saying lack of desire is a half-valid point but it's completely subjective and been run into the ground

If we had scraped a one nil win today with a lucky goal we would have played almost exactly the same but there would be no complaints about 'lack of desire'.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

"Desire" on 21:53 - Mar 11 with 2154 viewsrosseeles

Did you see bae today, sums up no desire I'm afraid.
"Desire" on 21:57 - Mar 11 with 2126 viewsJigsore

"Desire" on 21:53 - Mar 11 by rosseeles

I may have jinxed that one, said how well he was playing about half way through the match

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

"Desire" on 22:01 - Mar 11 with 2113 viewsTacticalR

It's a completely circular explanation, because if the reason matches are won is 'desire', then if a match is lost it must be due to lack of 'desire'. But does 'desire' explain why English football has been in the doldrums for decades? It seems to explain everything, but doesn't explain any anything.

Air hostess clique

"Desire" on 22:18 - Mar 11 with 2056 viewsdaveB

players don't lack desire at all imo, that wasn't why we lost tonight
"Desire" on 22:26 - Mar 11 with 2013 viewsBasingstokeR

I think our chance conversion stats have been terrible this year, even before Austin got injured it was pretty poor. For so much possession in almost every game we don't create enough and even when we do, we finish a measly amount of the shots on target we get. Now we're conceding a goal a game at least too.
"Desire" on 22:28 - Mar 11 with 2000 viewsSpiritofGregory

"Desire" on 22:18 - Mar 11 by daveB

We don't have the courage or mental strength to finish other teams off.
"Desire" on 22:31 - Mar 11 with 1979 viewskensalriser

Really? we dominated for 70 minutes and had nothing to show for it until Brighton finally figured out they could get something. We were second best in the last 15 when we should have been hammering the door down. I just don't think there's any real hunger in this team, not without Austin.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

"Desire" on 22:35 - Mar 11 with 1970 viewsdaveB

"Desire" on 22:28 - Mar 11 by SpiritofGregory

We don't have the courage or mental strength to finish other teams off.

more about ability than courage imo
Login to get fewer ads

"Desire" on 22:36 - Mar 11 with 1964 viewsTHEBUSH

"Desire" on 22:18 - Mar 11 by daveB

There are 101 reasons, why we lost tonight, take your pick, we are in a mess, it's gonna take time to sort QPR out.
"Desire" on 22:45 - Mar 11 with 1917 viewsSpiritofGregory

"Desire" on 22:35 - Mar 11 by daveB

more about ability than courage imo

Maiga didn't have the courage to get on the end of Morrisons deflected shot. That guy is scared of his own shadow.
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:50 - Mar 11 with 1899 viewsSpiritofGregory

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:52 - Mar 11 with 1892 viewsSpiritofGregory

"Desire" on 23:27 - Mar 11 with 1842 viewsFredManRave

When Harry goes I think we should go for Pardew. Pushing officials, head butting opposition players...How much more desire could you want from your manager.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

"Desire" on 23:41 - Mar 11 with 1812 viewsJigsore

"Desire" on 23:27 - Mar 11 by FredManRave

When Harry goes I think we should go for Pardew. Pushing officials, head butting opposition players...How much more desire could you want from your manager.

Lee Cattermole! Captain and a leader. Ferocious desire and tries hard for 90 minutes, sign him up 'arry, preferably on loan

(No subject) on 00:05 - Mar 12 with 1795 viewsTacticalR

Let us not forget Bluce_Ree's voyage into the mind of Stan Collymore:

'No, Sags! I love football. It's about passion. I love it, Sags. I love it. Passion. Football. Passion. Turning into a non- contact sport. Passion, Sags. Villa. No passion, Sags. Football. 4-3 against Newcastle, Sags. Passion. Referee. Never a penalty for me, Sags. Passion, Sags. No, you're wrong, caller. It's about passion. And football. And goals. Sags'll back me up here. Sags, passion, football, the game of association football. Villa, Sags. I'd like to ask David Moyes one question: football. Football? It's a disgrace, Sags. I love it.'

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/100352/stan-collym

Air hostess clique

"Desire" on 00:12 - Mar 12 with 1787 viewsHollowayRanger

how about roy keane as manager

that would really be fun

love to see him tearing into the players

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

(No subject) on 00:14 - Mar 12 with 1783 viewsthemodfather

the players desire now is for them and their agent. huge wages and fork all for their club
w@nke*s
"Desire" on 00:15 - Mar 12 with 1780 viewsTacticalR

"Desire" on 00:12 - Mar 12 by HollowayRanger

how about roy keane as manager

that would really be fun

love to see him tearing into the players

Yeah, that worked out well last time.

Air hostess clique

"Desire" on 00:55 - Mar 12 with 1764 viewsNorthernr

Benoit Assou Ekotto.
(No subject) on 01:11 - Mar 12 with 1749 viewsEconRmist

Has it been in the doldrums for decades? A few years ago people were complaining about premier-league domination of Europe.

2002 world cup: Lose in the quarter finals to the eventual champions.
2004 Euros: Go out on penalties in the quarter finals to the team that finished second
2006 World Cup: Go out on penalties in the quarter finals after playing much of the game with 10 men.
2008 Euros: The only real blot on the record.
2010 world cup: Out in the round of 16 to a team which finished third. Dubious refereeing at least partially to blame.
2012 Euros: Out on penalties to the team that finished second.

It's not exactly a terrible run. Yes, they probably should have won something in the 96-04 period but they hardly disgraced themselves.

Rather than looking at the lack of desire or quality of player or even the tactical nouse of the managers I suspect we'd be better advised to consider the length of the English season, the lack of breaks and the inevitable injury pile-ups before the tournament.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2014 1:12]
"Desire" on 01:30 - Mar 12 with 1735 viewsNeil_SI

There are two things you can look out for, one is having the right focus, which at times we lose focus and make mistakes. This happened to Benoit Assou-Ekotto for the opening goal, it was simply a poor mistake.

The other is having fire in the belly. Some of the players clearly don't have enough of that, and it's especially noticeable when you compare players to Charlie Austin, or even Ravel Morrison.

I can use Benoit Assou-Ekotto for this example too. Prior to Brighton taking the lead, when we had a decent spell of possession and just looked like we were teetering on the edge of making something happen, we had a lengthy passage of play where Morrison was on the ball, but didn't actually see Assou-Ekotto standing unmarked on the wing in oceans of space. We milled about with the ball, probing and looking for the pass, to the point the crowd tried to urge the ball out to Assou-Ekotto, not once, but twice.

In that whole passage, Assou-Ekotto didn't once verbally call or shout for the pass, didn't make any visual hand gesture, or anything. He just stood there with the attitude of "if it comes, it comes" and therefore the lack of communication, the lack of acknowledging the player may not even realise you're there and pro-actively doing something about it, contributed to that move breaking down.

It's fire in the belly. Morrison wants that ball all of the time. He wants to play. If he doesn't get it, he goes searching deeper for it. He made a couple of tackles and interceptions when he tracked back when others lost the ball or made sloppy decisions, and he was only too happy to tell them what he thought straight afterwards.

That's desire.
"Desire" on 08:38 - Mar 12 with 1660 viewsjonno

"Desire" on 01:30 - Mar 12 by Neil_SI

There are two things you can look out for, one is having the right focus, which at times we lose focus and make mistakes. This happened to Benoit Assou-Ekotto for the opening goal, it was simply a poor mistake.

The other is having fire in the belly. Some of the players clearly don't have enough of that, and it's especially noticeable when you compare players to Charlie Austin, or even Ravel Morrison.

I can use Benoit Assou-Ekotto for this example too. Prior to Brighton taking the lead, when we had a decent spell of possession and just looked like we were teetering on the edge of making something happen, we had a lengthy passage of play where Morrison was on the ball, but didn't actually see Assou-Ekotto standing unmarked on the wing in oceans of space. We milled about with the ball, probing and looking for the pass, to the point the crowd tried to urge the ball out to Assou-Ekotto, not once, but twice.

In that whole passage, Assou-Ekotto didn't once verbally call or shout for the pass, didn't make any visual hand gesture, or anything. He just stood there with the attitude of "if it comes, it comes" and therefore the lack of communication, the lack of acknowledging the player may not even realise you're there and pro-actively doing something about it, contributed to that move breaking down.

It's fire in the belly. Morrison wants that ball all of the time. He wants to play. If he doesn't get it, he goes searching deeper for it. He made a couple of tackles and interceptions when he tracked back when others lost the ball or made sloppy decisions, and he was only too happy to tell them what he thought straight afterwards.

That's desire.

I would totally agree. To me it's been obvious all season that many of our players are playing well within themselves. It doesn't really matter that much to them if we win or lose. When you are on £50k per week that's hardly surprising. It's also hardly surprising that players at somewhere such as Burnley who are probably on about 25% of what most of our players are earning are prepared to put in far more effort because the prize for them is a potential Premier division salary while our players are already on that sort of money.
"Desire" on 08:46 - Mar 12 with 1646 viewsqprdan

BAE sums up the situation, he didn't really look to get forward for large parts of the game and just seemed to wander around when we were in possession, he doesn't want to be here. Someone said it before that he played well when Sherwood was having a look at him again and now just looks like he cant be ars$£d and has the concentration span of a 4 year old.

Right sort? Feckin don't think so Harry
"Desire" on 09:05 - Mar 12 with 1640 viewsparker64

But plenty on here were sayng he was great not so long ago. A few said he'd be found out against the better clubs who could target him. You only had to look how Mackie took him to pieces.

The club's a mess. Burnley have a good mix and the "right sort". Young players released by Premiership clubs who have a point to prove and their career in front of them. Sad state of affairs.
"Desire" on 09:28 - Mar 12 with 1615 viewskensalriser

BAE's a bit like a girl with great tits and a penchant for low cut tops, but thick ankles and bad breath. Looks great to begin with but then you start to notice the not so good stuff.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024