Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat 10:57 - Mar 16 with 10084 viewsswancity

Is laughable.

Suddenly, following the narrowest of defeats, an unlucky one at that, the players are heartless, gutless, clueless, the manager doesn't know what he is doing, the chairman is interfering too much and the tea lady isn't doing her job properly.

We played quite well in the first half yesterday and were undone by two moments of quality from sessegnon and mulumbu was it? It was a game of few chances, may be quite even and certainly neither keeper was involved too often. A draw would have been a fair result but football doesn't work like that. We certainly delivered over 30 crosses into their defensive area and on another day would have been clear by half time.

We will bounce back. The concern of course is that one point from the two home games v palace and Albion has meant that we are in trouble. So are 10 other clubs.

For 11 seasons we have been used to winning and progressing. It's now a case of steadying the ship and steady it we will. It's not a time for hysteria. And neither is it justified.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:27 - Mar 17 with 1252 viewsjohnlangy

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:31 - Mar 16 by Liberty

Its more a reacton to -

1 win in last 8 matches.

Last 3 home league matches, all against teams below us in league has produced 1 win.

Theres more, but thats enough for now.

Last 5 PL games - 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats. 5 points from 5 games. That form would produce another 9 points between now and the end of the season even if there are a few more CP and WBA performances, as long as there are a couple of Cardiff ones as well. And looking at the run in for CP and Norwich never mind the bottom 3 makes me feel better.

I feel the same as the rest of you after Saturday but just looking for any positive I can find.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:35 - Mar 17 with 1216 viewsperchrockjack

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:13 - Mar 16 by swancity

But they were not.

Vorm was hardly troubled. Neither was their keeper apart from his good save to deny Bony.

We deserved a point but it wasn't to be.

Vorm doesnt seem to be troubled enough to move to at least make an effort to save the ball from going past him.

Its ok to be positive on an internet board though. Its when you look in the mirror that you see how you really feel.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:36 - Mar 17 with 1221 viewswaynekerr55

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:35 - Mar 17 by perchrockjack

Vorm doesnt seem to be troubled enough to move to at least make an effort to save the ball from going past him.

Its ok to be positive on an internet board though. Its when you look in the mirror that you see how you really feel.

Good morning sir PERCH. How was the sunshine and KOFTAS on holiday?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:39 - Mar 17 with 1197 viewsperchrockjack

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:36 - Mar 17 by waynekerr55

Good morning sir PERCH. How was the sunshine and KOFTAS on holiday?

had the worst weather in 6 years, got a stomach big, my missus a ear infection, saw Wales trashed in the only bar with electric but saw big Kev there. Small world . Great guy.
Came home in time to see the west brom game.
It aint time now to pick over the bones of the season;its a time for us all to somehow stick together but cant see it.

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:43 - Mar 17 with 1194 viewswaynekerr55

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:39 - Mar 17 by perchrockjack

had the worst weather in 6 years, got a stomach big, my missus a ear infection, saw Wales trashed in the only bar with electric but saw big Kev there. Small world . Great guy.
It aint time now to pick over the bones of the season;its a time for us all to somehow stick together but cant see it.

Agreed - it's going to be tighter than sitting next to an obese person on a Ryanair flight. We really shot ourselves in the foot Saturday. We made a pub team look good

Pablo has to start in the 10 role and lets hope Shelvey and wee Nath are back next week

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:48 - Mar 17 with 1177 viewsperchrockjack

Dyer is key and imo his injury at Norwich screwed us .

All I wish is we abandon this obsession with passing for the sake of it and not give the ball away to the opposition in dangerous areas. This is what the manager should be working on .
We carry on with this for the next two games and only Phil S and swancity will be still upbeat.
This is no need for us to be where we are and that is what hurts

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:49 - Mar 17 with 1188 viewsJackanapes

If the best way to get promoted is through the playoffs , then the best way to survive is on the last day, away to another struggler.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:50 - Mar 17 with 1182 viewswaynekerr55

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:49 - Mar 17 by Jackanapes

If the best way to get promoted is through the playoffs , then the best way to survive is on the last day, away to another struggler.

You sir are a glutton for punishment

Login to get fewer ads

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:56 - Mar 17 with 1174 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 07:24 - Mar 17 by dameedna

Over 30 years, WBA and Palace have mostly had the better teams. WBA were better last year but seem to be struggling this year.

We lacked Michu, Shelvey, Dyer and Hernandez for most of the game which imo that makes a difference.

Prrobably only had JDG and Bony on the park capable of that.

Williams should have scored and we should have had a stonewall penalty v WBA.

Palace was not a penalty.

Let's see how we show up at Everton and Arsenal who are not fighting for their lives.

We have players. The 3 goals v Liverpool were exceptional and we played Napoli out of sight.

Injuries are form are going to be factors so let's see how we go, still reasons to be cheerful along with 10 other clubs who will year after year be in the same basket.

I have to say that the second goal they scored - DeGuzman and Leon were jogging behind Mulumbu and he had all the time in the world to pick his spot. That's unforgivable

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:00 - Mar 17 with 1094 viewsUxbridge

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:56 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

I have to say that the second goal they scored - DeGuzman and Leon were jogging behind Mulumbu and he had all the time in the world to pick his spot. That's unforgivable

Not Leon. Lad can do no wrong allegedly.

Anyway, back to the OP. There's an element of truth in it all. Totally explainable why everyone has reacted so badly to the complete farce that was that second half, but there is a degree of an overreaction. We're still heavy favourites to avoid the drop, even if it's going to be much more uncomfortable than we'd have liked, or it needed to be. If we do get relegated it will have been so avoidable.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:48 - Mar 17 with 1058 viewsSpratty

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 18:12 - Mar 16 by Dr_Winston

Averaged less than a point a game from February 2013 onwards. Relegation form carried through two different seasons. That's the only reality that matters.

Ditching Laudrup was the right decision. Appointing Monk as his replacement (albeit temporarily) less so.

Relegation form for a year OK

for a start football works in seasons and teams play towards results in seasons.

Last season we finished an amazing 9th. In fact (although we dropped lower pre-Christmas) at no time from Christmas on did we drop lower than 9th. You call that relegation form if you like. I call it a bloody miracle.

Of course if you like let’s talk specifics. Let’s talk about the post COC slump when we were so far ahead of those below us that perhaps the players took their foot off the gas a little. A well understood phenomena in football surely.

Specifics: we lost to Arsenal and Spurs at home, Chelsea and Man United Away — any surprises there? In fact 5 of those last 11 games were against top 5 clubs.

We played so well in AF’s last match at OT (champions that season by 11 points) that we were unlucky not to win let alone draw. I know I got a hot pie flung at my head from the united faithful when Michu scored. Pablo (who of course only plays for Monk) was brilliant once again and United could not cope with him.

We lost away to a then strong West Brom (after having a goal incorrectly ruled offside which would have given us the point) plus a rubbish 0-3 last game of the season against Fulham.

In fact in those last 11 games we got the 9 points that would have comfortably kept us up this season in our last 11 (despite then having to play 5 top 5 clubs out of 11 matches).

We beat Newcastle at home, Wigan away and got draws against Norwich away, Southampton and Manchester city (yes Manchester City) at home.

As for this year I have already covered in detail what has been achieved on a like for like against last year. Whilst taking into account the punishing Europa schedule, keeping us in Europe, the FA Cup and on track to qualify for Europe again this year. This despite major key injuries and a disproportionate % of high level games but ML was still comfortably on track to keep us up this year even on a blunt points per game.

However if we compare points slippage on like for like PL matches with last year (1/24 against current 4/5) then getting rid of our “failing” manager has made us just shy of 20 times worse.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:54 - Mar 17 with 1040 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:56 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

But at the same time none of the players in front of him closed him down either, which is even more unforgivable, don't you think that free shots should never be allowed if it possible to stop them?
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:58 - Mar 17 with 1028 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:54 - Mar 17 by A_Fans_Dad

But at the same time none of the players in front of him closed him down either, which is even more unforgivable, don't you think that free shots should never be allowed if it possible to stop them?

The midfield should have had him first and Amat as a result was exposed as the last line of defence. Rangel conspicuous by his absence the too

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:00 - Mar 17 with 1023 viewswaynekerr55

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:54 - Mar 17 by A_Fans_Dad

Why nobody was in the pocket of space where the knockdowns came was criminal. You know there's going to be a 20 - 30 yard pocket of space where Anichebe is going to knock the ball down for midfield runners to get onto the ball, yet nobody had the brain to drop in there.

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:08 - Mar 17 with 1007 viewsJackFish

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:00 - Mar 17 by waynekerr55

Why nobody was in the pocket of space where the knockdowns came was criminal. You know there's going to be a 20 - 30 yard pocket of space where Anichebe is going to knock the ball down for midfield runners to get onto the ball, yet nobody had the brain to drop in there.

I don't think Amat won a single header against Anichebe on Saturday. It didn't hurt us in the first half because they didn't get the bodies up there to support him, but it's crazy that in the second half we didn't work our bollocks off to win the second ball when we knew we weren't going to win the first.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:13 - Mar 17 with 1000 viewsJackanapes

We missed Chico so badly on Sat. In the context of our whole season, Vorm managed(vs Palace) to turn an aimless ball from the right back slot into a three game ban for chico and 4 points down the tubes. He then proceeded to be beaten twice from outside the area. To be honest Monk is powerless over things like that.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:19 - Mar 17 with 988 viewsJackFish

One match ban for Chico.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:24 - Mar 17 with 980 viewsJackanapes

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:19 - Mar 17 by JackFish

One match ban for Chico.

Really? Thats great news.

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:24 - Mar 17 with 978 viewsmax936

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:48 - Mar 17 by perchrockjack

Dyer is key and imo his injury at Norwich screwed us .

All I wish is we abandon this obsession with passing for the sake of it and not give the ball away to the opposition in dangerous areas. This is what the manager should be working on .
We carry on with this for the next two games and only Phil S and swancity will be still upbeat.
This is no need for us to be where we are and that is what hurts

Great post Richie, the holiday has worked wonders, but you can't go around wanting to kill all the England fans
[Post edited 17 Mar 2014 12:37]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:29 - Mar 17 with 968 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 11:58 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

The midfield should have had him first and Amat as a result was exposed as the last line of defence. Rangel conspicuous by his absence the too

I have just watch the Video of that goal a few times and this is what happened.
Michu tried to pass back to Britton, but missed, Ash under pressure from an attacker kicked the ball straight to Mulumbu, Michu was closest to him on his left and was too slow to tackle him, Britton was on his right and slightly in front and went the wrong way and was wrong footed but tried to catch him, JDG was standing still on his left and just jogged alongside him. Rangel was also in front but much nearer the goal and on his left and basically just watched him running in.
Ash who was directly in front of him went to his left tracking the other attacker instead of tackling Mulumbu leaving a massive hole for him to run in to with just Amat left between him and the goal.
So there were 6 players between him and the goal and no tackle or attempted block from anybody.
Perhaps they thought he couldn't score from that distance even though Sessegnon had just done basically the same thing.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:33 - Mar 17 with 962 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:19 - Mar 17 by JackFish

One match ban for Chico.

Was it a straight red, a second yellow or did the club appeal?

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:48 - Mar 17 with 940 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:08 - Mar 17 by JackFish

I don't think Amat won a single header against Anichebe on Saturday. It didn't hurt us in the first half because they didn't get the bodies up there to support him, but it's crazy that in the second half we didn't work our bollocks off to win the second ball when we knew we weren't going to win the first.

You are probably right about Amat, but the fact is neither goal came from Anichebe heading the ball down.
The first came from an attack by Morrison where Ash tackled him but failed to win the ball, Morrison passed to Sessegnon who shot and scored straight away.
The second started with a back pass by Michu.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:50 - Mar 17 with 936 viewsJackFish

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:33 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

Was it a straight red, a second yellow or did the club appeal?

It was a straight red, one match ban for denying a goal scoring opportunity.
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:58 - Mar 17 with 923 viewsJBG

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 09:39 - Mar 17 by perchrockjack

Small world your right, i hid for 5 days in the hotel, soon as i step out i run into you, i must be cursed ffs, your mrs is nice though
The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:59 - Mar 17 with 920 viewsCatullus

The hysterical over reaction to a defeat on 12:01 - Mar 16 by swancity

But that is certainly not the case. It was a narrow defeat and an unlucky one. A draw would have been fair.

It was a very disappointing second half but this is probably the best and most competitive league in world football. We still have a good chance to stay in the league. It's in our hands but the Norwich villa and Sunderland games are of course vital. I still think we need another 8 points. We should get them.

I have only read as far as this, that is enough.

Firstly, it wasn't an unlucky defeat, we were absolutely abysmal in the second half.
Second, we can blame Monk if we want but I'm looking at the players now and asking, why are they failing to perform in the second half.
We have players not passing, not tackling.......not trying. It's the same for Monk as it was for Laudrup, there is only so much the manager can do. Once they cross the white line, the players have to take responsibility too.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024