Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... 20:29 - Apr 6 with 8660 viewsVetchfieldpasty

But is this seasons failings solely down to Monk??

I would argue in hindsight Monk went to the board this time last year and requested the following to top up on an already brimming talented squad -

A goalkeeper to keep Fabianski on his toes
A left full back to take over from Taylor
A Winger
A striker

What he got was:
Nordfeldt
Fat Frank
Andre Ayew
Eder

My point is Monk had identified what positions he wanted which was correct in my eyes but feel whoever is in charge of recruitment, think we all agree it wasn't Monk, choose these four. Monk can be forgiven not addressing the Midfield positions as in JJS & Ki we definitely had one of the strongest midfields in the league, no one would have predicted such a decline in both.

So my point is, has anything really changed in recruitment as we can all call for new faces in the pre season but if we don't change the way we recruit we will be back to square one and fighting relegation.

Either that or another shed full of Falkirk U21's........
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 11:03 - Apr 7 with 1638 viewsGeoffThom

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 08:22 - Apr 7 by exiledinenglandjack

£8.5m since 2011, so hardly breaking the bank. I know we run a tight bank balance, but i highly doubt that the training facilities have majorly affected the transfer policy. Huw and the recruitment team are generally very tight. See the comments he made after signing Bony, he said we wouldn't spend anywhere near that for a long time and he's stuck to his word. But i do agree with most on here, a new lb, winger and competition for alberto should be the priority in the summer.

Yes we paid out on bony and he said he would not spend that highly again falls short when we've made a huge amount on him so technically he could spend it again .
But no were going back to the pissy 5m market again which gets you average to low players in today's market as this rumour of Chester tells us, no excuses this year the money will be there
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 11:56 - Apr 7 with 1579 viewsSwaneeRiver

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 10:54 - Apr 7 by icecoldjack

Monk carries the can plain and simple.

Had plenty to say when digging Sousa and laudrup when captain, that's ok until things start going wrong, Some would remember and use the same methods themselves when unhappy later on.

If the board were signing players he didn't want then he should have come out and said so or kept dignity and resigned, as I understand thIngs, Monk would have had input to who was being targeted and been part of the process so no getting out of it.

His biggest mistake,and a really big mistake at that, was his choice of coaching staff, once beatie was brought in it seemed to sour things for him, loyalty to his friend seemed a bigger priority than

loyalty to the club that payed his wages for 10 yrs, handing him a premier league contract when it was clear to everyone his ability wasn't up to it, fantastic loyalty from the board in this respect in giving him a nice pay day.

All monk had to do was steer the ship safely, and on the same heading as before,if it ain't broke no need to fix it,which in fairness he was doing well until his ego started thinking otherwise.

Did the board let him down? IMO no, they backed him better than any other manager, naughton,cork,Fernandez,gomis,siggy,fabianski ,Montero and ayew to supplement bony,ash,routs,ki,Britton etc .

All that he lost was wilf but there was plenty enough talent there for almost anyone to not fook it up..which was exactly what he did !

ive no doubt that when he started benching siggy for shelvey and Fernandez for bartly the senior pro's did a "monk" and went over his head to voice their complaints to the board .

His methods as captain were Passed on and was his un doing as manager IMO.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 12:42]

Excellent sensible post
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 12:38 - Apr 7 with 1543 viewsjasper_T

Mistakes were made at board level in signing players Monk clearly had no interest in (Tabanou, Eder). Whether Monk's choices would have been any better it's impossible to say, but signing players that a manager isn't going to use (Emnes...) is simply bad business.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 12:44 - Apr 7 with 1538 viewsLeonisGod

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:46 - Apr 6 by monmouth

Not all down to Monk, but he and his coterie of clowns were at the root of it. Just to point out Garry Monk started picking Kyle f**king Bartley and had visibly lost the trust of the team.

Just re-reading this thread and I must have missed this first time round. I'd completely forgotten about Bartley and how how lost we were under Garry in his final weeks. The brain is great at blocking out past traumatic events! We're streets ahead now, even if the footie is a bit dull. Which should give us some optimism for next season. Hopefully back to a solid mid-table position.

COYS
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:02 - Apr 7 with 1507 viewsWarwickHunt

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 12:38 - Apr 7 by jasper_T

Mistakes were made at board level in signing players Monk clearly had no interest in (Tabanou, Eder). Whether Monk's choices would have been any better it's impossible to say, but signing players that a manager isn't going to use (Emnes...) is simply bad business.

He's on record as being "a big fan" of Naughton, so probably not.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:08 - Apr 7 with 1494 viewsicecoldjack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 12:38 - Apr 7 by jasper_T

You could say they were mistakes but you could also argue that is the model the club prefer to use, therefore monk was going in with his eyes wide open.

As for these signings, IMO I believe they were badly man managed, it almost seems like a case of throwing toys out the pram by monk, did we see enough of Eder to really form an opinion? Tabanou the same.

There was little to zero integration and playing time for these lads to even begin to find their match day form, neither given the odd few minutes early on to show them first hand what they were getting into.

And all this is on the premise monk didn't want them, well maybe he did? There has been no confirmation to say players were signed that he didn't want or want to work with.

If that was the case then he needed to be honest to himself,the swans fans and the club and be straight about it and tell all .

The goal keeper is another who has had almost zero playing time, 3 players not involved in hardly any shape or form right from the start will lose any enthusiasm quite quickly, irrelevant of the size of any contract,most want to play and feel part of thIngs.

Bad man management IMO.

Mistakes were made at board level but IMO that was a lot to with getting rid of the losing side of the clique to suit Gary and give him a smooth introduction to management, although having said that,looking at how he handled the likes of dyer,tab,Leon and Eder it was probably for the best!

Chico out Freddy in for 6m quid more,probably to give monk the best chance to succeed .
JDG ? Nah, not for him.
Michu? Ok fooked with injury but isn't it strange that we heard nothing from him in 2 yrs then a couple weeks after monk was gone Michu was talking about the swans and giving interviews saying how much he missed the place! I found the timing of that very telling indeed.

The boards mistake was backing monk almost too much and it went to his head, giving him bit of a god complex IMO.once the board listen to the ramblings of the playing staff things get very murky,

He made Leon Britton 7 th choice then number 1 choice after telling Leon he was free to leave ! His luck run out and his talking got him found out.

when laudrup shipped out Tate,bartly,ki ,gower and tried to ship out monk it all started going wrong, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I'm starting to think monk not going anywhere and keeping his power base has made things far more difficult at SCFC than they ever needed to be .

Football is a simple game after all, often spoiled by club politics and cliques, monk was at the center of a lot of it while here and not sure all of it was for the best.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:22 - Apr 7 with 1474 viewsjasper_T

No one should expect a backup keeper to see much game time. It's the nature of the job.

It's no secret that Tabanou wasn't on Monk's list of candidates to take over at left-back, or that he didn't like his attitude or the style of player he is.

If we sign James Chester for £5m there's going to be some major laughs at our expense again. Another lightweight centre-half is the last thing we need.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:28 - Apr 7 with 1467 viewsdobjack2

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 06:55 - Apr 7 by Starsky

Maybe he should have held onto Chico

I thought that was what brickgate was all about.

Seriously though did Chico want to go, was he pushed or was it a bit of both. The truth is out there ...somewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:32 - Apr 7 with 1461 viewsmonmouth

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:22 - Apr 7 by jasper_T

No one should expect a backup keeper to see much game time. It's the nature of the job.

It's no secret that Tabanou wasn't on Monk's list of candidates to take over at left-back, or that he didn't like his attitude or the style of player he is.

If we sign James Chester for £5m there's going to be some major laughs at our expense again. Another lightweight centre-half is the last thing we need.

I'm all for wait and see, but if the 'answer' to our problems end up as James f*****g Chester and Hal f*****g Robson-Kanu, I'll need medication.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:32 - Apr 7 with 1461 viewstomdickharry

History tells us the answer to all questions let us all hope that the history lesson (hindsight) we have had to endure this season will have been learned both on and off the field.Our Chairman has stated that a review of our club will take place in the summer,hopefully,summer will start the day we are mathematically safe in the PL.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:39 - Apr 7 with 1445 viewsicecoldjack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:22 - Apr 7 by jasper_T

In that case, please direct me to the quotes of Gary saying he wasn't on his list of candidates to take over left back .

If not we can go another way.
Monk was a coach, who took the job based on the fact the club also have a specified recruitment policy, he took the job on that basis therefore it can be said his failure to work with what he was given was more to do with him than the players. Given.

I'm not talking about getting a L2 player and trying to make him a prem star I'm talking about taking tabanous abilities who already came from a decent standard of football and technique to coach him into what works for us.

It could be that the scouting team bought a footballer in the swanselona mound and monk wanted a clogger who runs all day with less ability ? In which case there was a funds entail problem with which direction monk was taking us!

Alarm bells!

We signed an attacking full back and the manager wanted us to play the game without the ball, moving us away from our template .

That is a manager not following the script IMO.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 14:03 - Apr 7 with 1411 viewsexiledinenglandjack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 11:03 - Apr 7 by GeoffThom

Yes we paid out on bony and he said he would not spend that highly again falls short when we've made a huge amount on him so technically he could spend it again .
But no were going back to the pissy 5m market again which gets you average to low players in today's market as this rumour of Chester tells us, no excuses this year the money will be there

By no means am I endorsing the £5m market but thats the nature of a team like us, buy low sell high. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. For example we could well try for Moussa Dembele from fulham this summer, out of contract with 16 goals this season and only 19 years old. Singing on fee yes but then potential to sell on for a big profit in the future. That average £5m figure could well go up to £7.5m this summer, but i can't see the approach changing.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 14:48 - Apr 7 with 1385 viewsLoyal

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 21:52 - Apr 6 by Landore_Jack

Part of it was the board reacting too slowley in appointing a successor for Garry Monk. Curtis was left holding the baby and the strain was beginning to show after the Sunderland and Oxford defeats.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2016 22:29]

They have never reacted quickly to anything.
Which is also a reason for this seasons failings.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 14:48 - Apr 7 with 1384 viewsjasper_T

I'd rather we pick up one £10m player than 3 £5m players. There's no value buying in the UK market now given the growing financial disparity between English League clubs and their continental equivalents. £5m won't improve on our poorer players unless we use it to bully cash-strapped clubs in Spain/Italy etc.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 14:56 - Apr 7 with 1378 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 14:48 - Apr 7 by jasper_T

I'd rather we pick up one £10m player than 3 £5m players. There's no value buying in the UK market now given the growing financial disparity between English League clubs and their continental equivalents. £5m won't improve on our poorer players unless we use it to bully cash-strapped clubs in Spain/Italy etc.

I wonder who we know with lots of contacts over there?
And it is not BR.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 15:36 - Apr 7 with 1267 viewsdougie

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:32 - Apr 7 by tomdickharry

History tells us the answer to all questions let us all hope that the history lesson (hindsight) we have had to endure this season will have been learned both on and off the field.Our Chairman has stated that a review of our club will take place in the summer,hopefully,summer will start the day we are mathematically safe in the PL.

I wouldn't believe everything you read. That statement was mere appeasement. If any review is taken we won't see or hear anything of it i doubt.

We certainly need a review off the field. It is pretty obvious to me that the part time girl in the ticket office shouldn't have been involved in the pre match tactical analysis and i have it on good authority that the supervisor of the club shop had too much say in the signings of tabanou and eder.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 16:53 - Apr 7 with 1227 viewsvetchonian

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:08 - Apr 7 by icecoldjack

You could say they were mistakes but you could also argue that is the model the club prefer to use, therefore monk was going in with his eyes wide open.

As for these signings, IMO I believe they were badly man managed, it almost seems like a case of throwing toys out the pram by monk, did we see enough of Eder to really form an opinion? Tabanou the same.

There was little to zero integration and playing time for these lads to even begin to find their match day form, neither given the odd few minutes early on to show them first hand what they were getting into.

And all this is on the premise monk didn't want them, well maybe he did? There has been no confirmation to say players were signed that he didn't want or want to work with.

If that was the case then he needed to be honest to himself,the swans fans and the club and be straight about it and tell all .

The goal keeper is another who has had almost zero playing time, 3 players not involved in hardly any shape or form right from the start will lose any enthusiasm quite quickly, irrelevant of the size of any contract,most want to play and feel part of thIngs.

Bad man management IMO.

Mistakes were made at board level but IMO that was a lot to with getting rid of the losing side of the clique to suit Gary and give him a smooth introduction to management, although having said that,looking at how he handled the likes of dyer,tab,Leon and Eder it was probably for the best!

Chico out Freddy in for 6m quid more,probably to give monk the best chance to succeed .
JDG ? Nah, not for him.
Michu? Ok fooked with injury but isn't it strange that we heard nothing from him in 2 yrs then a couple weeks after monk was gone Michu was talking about the swans and giving interviews saying how much he missed the place! I found the timing of that very telling indeed.

The boards mistake was backing monk almost too much and it went to his head, giving him bit of a god complex IMO.once the board listen to the ramblings of the playing staff things get very murky,

He made Leon Britton 7 th choice then number 1 choice after telling Leon he was free to leave ! His luck run out and his talking got him found out.

when laudrup shipped out Tate,bartly,ki ,gower and tried to ship out monk it all started going wrong, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I'm starting to think monk not going anywhere and keeping his power base has made things far more difficult at SCFC than they ever needed to be .

Football is a simple game after all, often spoiled by club politics and cliques, monk was at the center of a lot of it while here and not sure all of it was for the best.

So Laudrups overplaying of Michu when he was injured and not playing Wilf was good management?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 16:59 - Apr 7 with 1220 viewsblaine_scfc

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 10:54 - Apr 7 by icecoldjack

Monk carries the can plain and simple.

Had plenty to say when digging Sousa and laudrup when captain, that's ok until things start going wrong, Some would remember and use the same methods themselves when unhappy later on.

If the board were signing players he didn't want then he should have come out and said so or kept dignity and resigned, as I understand thIngs, Monk would have had input to who was being targeted and been part of the process so no getting out of it.

His biggest mistake,and a really big mistake at that, was his choice of coaching staff, once beatie was brought in it seemed to sour things for him, loyalty to his friend seemed a bigger priority than

loyalty to the club that payed his wages for 10 yrs, handing him a premier league contract when it was clear to everyone his ability wasn't up to it, fantastic loyalty from the board in this respect in giving him a nice pay day.

All monk had to do was steer the ship safely, and on the same heading as before,if it ain't broke no need to fix it,which in fairness he was doing well until his ego started thinking otherwise.

Did the board let him down? IMO no, they backed him better than any other manager, naughton,cork,Fernandez,gomis,siggy,fabianski ,Montero and ayew to supplement bony,ash,routs,ki,Britton etc .

All that he lost was wilf but there was plenty enough talent there for almost anyone to not fook it up..which was exactly what he did !

ive no doubt that when he started benching siggy for shelvey and Fernandez for bartly the senior pro's did a "monk" and went over his head to voice their complaints to the board .

His methods as captain were Passed on and was his un doing as manager IMO.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 12:42]

Good post.

No sympathy whatsoever for Monk.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 16:59]
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 17:17 - Apr 7 with 1192 viewsDarran

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 16:59 - Apr 7 by blaine_scfc

Good post.

No sympathy whatsoever for Monk.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 16:59]

Do you have any sympathy for any of our ex managers then because I couldn't give a f*ck about any of them.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:21 - Apr 7 with 1163 viewsangryjack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 13:32 - Apr 7 by monmouth

I'm all for wait and see, but if the 'answer' to our problems end up as James f*****g Chester and Hal f*****g Robson-Kanu, I'll need medication.

james chester is not a bad centre half,he has played well every time i have watched him.need to replace ff soon as
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:22 - Apr 7 with 1160 viewsjasper_T

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:21 - Apr 7 by angryjack

james chester is not a bad centre half,he has played well every time i have watched him.need to replace ff soon as

Fernandez is better than Chester.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:49 - Apr 7 with 1127 viewsblaine_scfc

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:22 - Apr 7 by jasper_T

Fernandez is better than Chester.

Better ball player than Fernandez, but defensively not as good I would say.

I want a centre half who can add a bit of muscle, we don't win nowhere enough duels aerially, this shows in our set piece defensive record. Someone in the Huth mould to compliment Ash is what I'm hoping for.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:50 - Apr 7 with 1118 viewsblaine_scfc

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 17:17 - Apr 7 by Darran

Do you have any sympathy for any of our ex managers then because I couldn't give a f*ck about any of them.

Like f*ck Darran you would cream in your pants if you saw Garry Monk at the Liberty again.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 18:51]
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:55 - Apr 7 with 1111 viewsDarran

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 18:50 - Apr 7 by blaine_scfc

Like f*ck Darran you would cream in your pants if you saw Garry Monk at the Liberty again.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 18:51]

Well you couldn't get over how brilliantly he was doing earlier this season you fickle cùnt.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 19:00 - Apr 7 with 1104 viewsicecoldjack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 16:53 - Apr 7 by vetchonian

So Laudrups overplaying of Michu when he was injured and not playing Wilf was good management?

Thought this thread was about monk?

As for your question,which is irrelevent to this thread, i will try my best to answer.

Good management? may well be, depending on your perspective .Wilf was no where near fit enough for prem football,but unlike monk,laudrup fed him in bit by bit until his fitness and his understanding of how we play came to the fore later in the season.
Yes, good management and was ultimately what kept the Swans in the prem league, a fit firing Bony scoring goals at the right time of the season,Laudrup was right all along,we didn't need to be overly concerned as all the main players were getting fit and returning from injury, and so it proved .

Second up though, was Michu being overplayed? and playing while carrying a career threatning injury? in who's opinion was he being overplayed? Michu has never said anything has he? Michu it seems to me had a problem that was probably the real reason we signed the top scoring la liga midfielder for £2m, and the same reason other bigger teams perhaps didnt go for him. Can we then complain when the inevitable happened?

Ash carries knocks and plays every minute,the only time Pro footballers are free from injury is pre season,Ash even playing when suffering all sorts of illness and injury, and demanding to play!(remember Monk playing him when ill, at a home game ,subbing him early therefore compromising our sub options which were needed from 20 mins into the game ) with tested options like Amat not getting a start and monk having in effect just 2 subs going into the game.

As for Michu being overplayed others may argue he was desperately needed due to the board not signing the players Laudrup wanted in the summer,all of which were within our budget,you could argue the management then took a harsh option to get the best results possible for SCFC and played Michu a bit more often than they wanted to while Wilf was getting up to speed.

Michu, much like Ash normally does, may well have insisted on playing through the pain and maybe felt his best option was to try his best every game for us and face his own consequences later,maybe playing for the Swans under Laudrup really did give him the happiest footballing days,like he siad in his interview, and missing games, when the cliques started forming, was not an option as he felt a need to protect his manager from the back stabbing by helping to put points on the table.

Michu my have decided that smashing fook out the advertising boards while playing was the only way to feel better.?

Why if he was so injured did the medical staff not get involved and stop him from playing? this is their professional duty, as Eva Canero will prove in a big pay out in the coming months against Chelsea in court.

Was Martinez flogging of Pratley bad management in the season we just missed out on the play offs? yes, because Pratley came out and said so!! we at least know the facts on this one, bobby begged prats to delay an operation to help the team, promtly fooked off in the summer and left sousa with a treatment room full of 10 plyers injured!

Michu has never ever said that he was overplayed or played when seriously injured, so to pretend it was bad management when we dont know the exact details is bit of a reach IMO.

Monk had every single chance to succeed,was backed to the hilt by the board to make it work,was the Golden child who walked on water,yet even then still managed to turn a good footballing team into a poor mans version of Stoke under Pulis!

Maybe if we didn't have the likes of Monk dividing the dressing room under Laudrups /Sousas tenure things may have been totally different?
Maybe the wrong clique won through?
Maybe part of Huws review will be to stop listening to the moans of the dressing room and players with certain gripes that taint the overall picture?

Monk ballsed up the easiest job in football plain and simple. He moaned about Sousa,he moaned about Laudrup he then got what he wanted and totally fooked the club up almost to the point where it cost the swans £150m quid.

In fact he should be thanking the board for pulling him out when they did,thus keeping him away from being a future hate figure and a man of infamy !

Curtis got the team playing decent stuff after 2 sessions ffs!! that says everything about Monks management.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 19:07]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024