Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc 20:48 - Oct 29 with 5452 viewskarl

What is best free anti virus etc?
Basic windows 10 laptop not really used for much other than a little bit of Open University stuff, web browsing, Now TV and kids play a few online games (real kids stuff as 10 and 6 yr old).
There's no 'adult' stuff (honest!)
Seems to have something infected on it as when you click on a link quite often you get a page open very much like you have on the streaming football sites.
Keep it simple please as i have got very little tech knowledge!
Thanks

Edit. Its a laptop. Told you i was crap at Tech side!
[Post edited 29 Oct 2016 20:50]
Boring pc questions, anti virus etc on 03:43 - Oct 31 with 1653 viewsarona

Boring pc questions, anti virus etc on 20:55 - Oct 29 by karl

Thanks Brook, i'll give it a go

There are many malware tools available in the market, and most of them can be used to deal with malware. However, not every tool can detect and remove all types of malware threats. Hence, sometimes you need to install different tools on your PC. Below I will list several tools that I find useful in dealing with malware.

- CCleaner - CCleaner 5.21.5700 - Useful tool for cleaning out all the crap that has built up on your computer from general use. This helps to decrease the amount of files that are scanned and can greatly speed up scanning.

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/ - One of the best removal tools out there right now.

- SuperAntiSpyware - SuperAntiSpyware 6.0.1224 - Another great removal tool

- SuperAntiSpyware Portable Scanner! - SUPERAntiSpyware - SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner - This is the same SAS scanner and removal engine in a portable formfactor that does not require installation on the infected system. Haven't had a chance to use this in the wild yet but looks promising.

- Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.filehippo.com/download_sp...earch_destroy/ - Yet another good removal tool. Also useful for "inoculating" your web browsers against future attacks. New version seems to be able to clean temp files that CCleaner sometimes misses and some malware that Malwarebytes missed the last time I used it.

- ComboFix - ComboFix | freeware - This is a great tool for cleaning up a system that is messed up to the point you can't run MBAM or anything else. After running this you should still run the other tools to clean up the left-overs.

- RootRepeal - rootrepeal - Rootkit removal tool. Run this when you can't get any other tool to run or install.

- TDSSKiller - http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363 - Rootkit removal tool from Kaspersky. Pretty snazzy if you ask me.

- Avira AntiVir Personal - Avira Free Antivirus 15.0.19.164 - Really good free anti-virus application. Has somewhat annoying ad that pops up reminding you of all the fantastic other stuff you get it you would just buy it already. I've found this confuses and scares less savvy users that think it may be one of those fake-AV trojans.

- SpyHunter - http://guides.uufix.com/Spyhunter_Download.php - A powerful anti-malware program that can deal with different types of malware including Trojans, worms, viruses, browser hijackers, adware and PUPs.

- Microsoft Security Essentials - Windows | Official Site For Microsoft Windows 10 OS, Laptops, PCs, Tablets & More - Microsoft's free Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program. Has gotten great reviews and I've been using it on systems instead of Avira. Doesn't catch everything but neither does Symantec, McAfee, Sophos, ESET, Avira, Avast, Panda, Trend, etc . . .

- Avira AntiVir System Rescure CD - Free Downloads of Avira Antivirus Software & Utilities - Linux Boot CD that has Avira AntiVir anti-virus/anti-malware software with latest definitions preloaded. Download and burn to a CD and boot your computer from it to do some scanning and removing action.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 05:29 - Oct 31 with 1641 viewsdistortR

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:21 - Oct 29 by karl

Haha, Fred how dare you!
The free games sites the kids use seem to be full of crap it has to be said so they're getting the blame.
WokingR is probably responsible for the worst adult content on it......

I have just activated Malwarebytes and scanning

"Och bairns, ah'm the manager of Orkney! If this gets ooot, well, you saw what they did to big Sam..........so go on bairns, take one for your Dad..."
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 10:54 - Oct 31 with 1593 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 05:29 - Oct 31 by distortR

"Och bairns, ah'm the manager of Orkney! If this gets ooot, well, you saw what they did to big Sam..........so go on bairns, take one for your Dad..."

Who are you, the FBI?
Anyhow thanks to the LFW collective all evidence has been scrubbed and its running away smoothly again, someone knocking at the door won't be met with all the lights being switched off for the time being.

Just to back up my story(?) the kids are complaining that certain games are being blocked now so something seems to be working away in the background
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 13:07 - Oct 31 with 1573 viewsrsonist

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 10:54 - Oct 31 by karl

Who are you, the FBI?
Anyhow thanks to the LFW collective all evidence has been scrubbed and its running away smoothly again, someone knocking at the door won't be met with all the lights being switched off for the time being.

Just to back up my story(?) the kids are complaining that certain games are being blocked now so something seems to be working away in the background

That will probably be Adblock blocking the site scripts from running. It will do that to several sites, you'll have to take a look and learn how to toggle it on and off per your needs.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcph

Incidentally I prefer uBlock Origin to Adblock - much, much easier on your system and works just as well (if not better - I think I read that Adblock now takes money from certain advertisers to give them a free pass).

I use Avira antivirus too - the lightest and most importantly least intrusive/annoying option IMO. Bear in mind there is no AV that will save you from yourself (or your kids) if you're on dodgy sites downloading dodgy files.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 13:08]
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 14:04 - Oct 31 with 1559 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 13:07 - Oct 31 by rsonist

That will probably be Adblock blocking the site scripts from running. It will do that to several sites, you'll have to take a look and learn how to toggle it on and off per your needs.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcph

Incidentally I prefer uBlock Origin to Adblock - much, much easier on your system and works just as well (if not better - I think I read that Adblock now takes money from certain advertisers to give them a free pass).

I use Avira antivirus too - the lightest and most importantly least intrusive/annoying option IMO. Bear in mind there is no AV that will save you from yourself (or your kids) if you're on dodgy sites downloading dodgy files.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 13:08]

Its no great problem as its just things like 'Friv' which have multiple free games and some get blocked, i'm just going to leave it for now and see how it goes.
I have used the laptop for streaming a few games in the past but it never seems the same after it and doesnt seem to be able to keep up with the game anyway.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:33 - Oct 31 with 1511 viewskensalriser

I just used ADW Cleaner to get rid of some stuff I got last year that I thought I'd cleaned up at the time. Definitely originated from one of those dodgy football streaming sites, be careful with those. Windows Defender picked up a separate Trojan, too.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:17 - Oct 31 with 1494 viewsE17hoop

uBlock Origin is excellent.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 11:25 - Nov 1 with 1449 viewsrsonist

Perhaps I've just led a charmed life but I've always used the internet to shall we say the fullest degree and never come to much harm. Really the only absolute #1 golden rule is simply to never ever install an .exe file unless you're certain of what it is and where it's come from. (And even if it's a trustworthy program to check the installation agreements as you go in case of bundled adware).

Probably the most dangerous thing you can do in my experience is to carelessly install cracked bootleg software - Office, Adobe suite etc.

Ironically the biggest mess I ever made of my PC was running (the highly reputable) AdwCleaner to remove a minor malware thing - it's a very powerful tool that I just clicked through without paying close attention to and it managed to nuke some key system files. That was a fun day...
Login to get fewer ads

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 17:40 - Nov 1 with 1417 viewsMetallica_Hoop

AVG slows the PC down now i found, it used to be good. (by I guess if you don't play WOT & WOWarships then it will probably be fine) AVG also had issues with Football Manager

My mate gave me a Norton Licsence for his good one, I used to hate Norton but they have really upped their game.

Malwarebytes is good and free for malware.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024