Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
70m investment in the town centre 08:08 - Apr 10 with 9180 viewsNigeriamark

Just announced on BBC news. M&S and Next signed up. Design looks OK ( can't be worse than the black box in fairness). Will be interesting if they try to put residences amongst the stores which most successful centres have. Would it work in Rochdale? Would you live there?
70m investment in the town centre on 13:21 - Apr 11 with 1941 viewsD_Alien

70m investment in the town centre on 12:01 - Apr 11 by mingthemerciless

How long do this lot have to be in power before it becomes their responsibility ? It's 2017 now.

Around 2025 should do it, or later if there's still no opposition by that date

It's yet another case of the Conservatives having to take the tough but necessary measures to clear up the mess left by Labour. I just hope that the complacency which comes about through lack of opposition doesn't take its toll, and I look forward to a responsible centre-left alliance emerging at some stage in the future with good leadership

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

70m investment in the town centre on 14:04 - Apr 11 with 1897 views1mark1

70m investment in the town centre on 07:45 - Apr 11 by nordenblue

So let's house hundreds of unemployable people who can't bring anything into the area but are a massive drain,that seems logical as long as there's less ""empty"" houses!!

I'd take a wild guess that the amount they lose on potential empty properties is a fraction of the cost it's costing to house them too in the wider scheme......not that the council ever think of the bigger picture mind

Rochdale Council isn't VOLUNTEERING to house all of the asylum seekers it is. It is the HOME OFFICE that decides where they go.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

70m investment in the town centre on 14:32 - Apr 11 with 1867 viewsnordenblue

70m investment in the town centre on 14:04 - Apr 11 by 1mark1

Rochdale Council isn't VOLUNTEERING to house all of the asylum seekers it is. It is the HOME OFFICE that decides where they go.

Not entirely correct,many councils refuse to take them in at all,but while the guarenteed payment from the government is £8500 per adult and £4500 per child again for up to 5 years is handed out its hardly something being forced upon RMBC.....
70m investment in the town centre on 14:36 - Apr 11 with 1862 viewsmingthemerciless

70m investment in the town centre on 14:32 - Apr 11 by nordenblue

Not entirely correct,many councils refuse to take them in at all,but while the guarenteed payment from the government is £8500 per adult and £4500 per child again for up to 5 years is handed out its hardly something being forced upon RMBC.....

When the Government are withdrawing much needed cash with the other hand the Council are between a rock and a hard place. Of course if we could negotiate our own little deal like they did in Surrey things would look a little bit brighter for the town.
70m investment in the town centre on 14:45 - Apr 11 with 1840 viewsnordenblue

70m investment in the town centre on 14:36 - Apr 11 by mingthemerciless

When the Government are withdrawing much needed cash with the other hand the Council are between a rock and a hard place. Of course if we could negotiate our own little deal like they did in Surrey things would look a little bit brighter for the town.

Totally agree,but to try and totally throw the blame on the government isn't factually correct, whilst there's still many an employee firmly sat comfy on the council gravy train
70m investment in the town centre on 19:32 - Apr 11 with 1713 viewsfinberty

70m investment in the town centre on 14:32 - Apr 11 by nordenblue

You're also missing the role played by the Government's favoured 'outsource' companies such as G4S and Serco. You could apportion some blame in their direction for their choices in where to decant people.
70m investment in the town centre on 19:56 - Apr 11 with 1686 viewsCanaDale

70m investment in the town centre on 07:48 - Apr 11 by nordenblue

If you assume reality as negativity I'm guilty as charged.....

A realist is just basing on past history, it doesn't mean the future can't be optimistic. If it doesn't work out it doesn't, but at least applaud the effort
70m investment in the town centre on 20:06 - Apr 11 with 1661 viewsnordenblue

70m investment in the town centre on 19:56 - Apr 11 by CanaDale

A realist is just basing on past history, it doesn't mean the future can't be optimistic. If it doesn't work out it doesn't, but at least applaud the effort

Nothing to do with history,a realist is accepting a situation as it is.....the towns currently disproportionately littered with refugees,that's not last year or the year before that's a fact of life happening today...
Login to get fewer ads

70m investment in the town centre on 05:56 - Apr 12 with 1536 viewsCanaDale

70m investment in the town centre on 20:06 - Apr 11 by nordenblue

Nothing to do with history,a realist is accepting a situation as it is.....the towns currently disproportionately littered with refugees,that's not last year or the year before that's a fact of life happening today...

It's rather negative though, if you accept it for how it is, nothing will get sorted, because what's the point. Although, whilst sadly what you say may be true, the town needs rejuvenation, it needs a new life. If it is left as it is right now there will be even less jobs and quality of life for the next generation, change needs to come.
70m investment in the town centre on 07:22 - Apr 12 with 1515 viewsCamdenDale

From what I've heard it's drunken anti-social behaviour that so many have identified as the major problem in the town centre. And why the redevelopment may not work. (The argument being that there is lots of money in the town but, even if shiny new shops and restaurants are built, river reopened, people won't go because of the intimidating atmosphere etc.).

That's a bit self defeating to say the least no? (I see the river is not full of shopping trolleys btw!) 10, 30 or 50 drunks hanging around is a small nut to crack surely? Some more active policing or maybe a small efficient private security team with police back-up could clear most of this up.

RMBC had the mick taken out of it in the national press with the swearing ban thing. Cheap story (banning free speech...yawn) when such a bye law would obviously be aimed at abusive screaming and shouting and so on.

Looking from afar, but a regular visitor to my home town, me and my family still there, are really looking forward to seeing this development work and have every confidence it will.
70m investment in the town centre on 08:36 - Apr 12 with 1469 viewsTipperaryDale

Most people who are Rochdale born and bred, especially the younger ones, can't wait to get away. Anyone with disposable income spends it else where. There are very few good (or even decent) jobs in the town. Newcomers, both UK and foreign, have little interest in the town and only live there because they have to (not just refugees, a lot of drug addicts and drunks were dumped there) - and we wonder why the football club has so few fans; it is a reflection on the town its in and nothing else.

Of my set of mates at school, about 12 lads, a grand total of one still lives in Rochdale. If we send all our best away and import the dregs, this is what happens.
70m investment in the town centre on 11:35 - Apr 12 with 1398 viewsD_Alien

70m investment in the town centre on 08:36 - Apr 12 by TipperaryDale

Most people who are Rochdale born and bred, especially the younger ones, can't wait to get away. Anyone with disposable income spends it else where. There are very few good (or even decent) jobs in the town. Newcomers, both UK and foreign, have little interest in the town and only live there because they have to (not just refugees, a lot of drug addicts and drunks were dumped there) - and we wonder why the football club has so few fans; it is a reflection on the town its in and nothing else.

Of my set of mates at school, about 12 lads, a grand total of one still lives in Rochdale. If we send all our best away and import the dregs, this is what happens.

Whilst I don't doubt there's many young people who can't wait to escape their home town, that's far from being just a Rochdale issue, more a general feeling of wanting to explore opportunities further afield. Many people in the media spotlight often quote "wanting to get away from their home town" as a spur to action, and that's true all over the world.

As Camden points out above though, should we just do nothing about Rochdale? Or should we try to improve it? It's not so long ago that being an established L1 side, with ambitions to go even higher, would have been equally ridiculed as those who still see the world through an half empty glass now do the same for the town itself. As we've seen, change is possible, but only if enough people put the past to one side and look to the future

[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 11:36]

70m investment in the town centre on 12:13 - Apr 12 with 1358 viewsrochdaleriddler

70m investment in the town centre on 11:30 - Apr 10 by dawlishdale

It's good to see that they are trying, but the damage has already been done by a succession of recent Councils who have encouraged people who will never be able to positively contribute to the local economy to come and live here, and thus, you could invest ten times this amount, but the Town would still not thrive.

I lived in Rochdale for close to 30 years before taking a contract away in the South West where I've been for the past 4 years. I visit home regularly to see my parents and attend the football. Even in the relatively short time I've been away, the number of no-hopers who hang around the Town Centre has increased almost beyond comprehension.

It's a huge problem, and one that many people are scared to confront for fear of being set upon by the PC brigade.

Only when the Town is capable of attracting a reasonable number of well paid professionals who have disposable income to spend on better things than can be found in charity shops, pawnbrokers and pound shops will things improve.

The town has a similar amount of wealthier people to bury, oldham, Ashton etc. The problem is the proximity to better shopping and eating offers, nearby. Rochdale council chose to accept a lot of dead legs that other councils would not. The old Salvation Army hostel accepted all and sundry. We took a huge amount of asylum seekers to fill flats that were unlettable . However, it is what it is and let's hope it's a success

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

70m investment in the town centre on 12:28 - Apr 12 with 1323 viewsrochdaleriddler

70m investment in the town centre on 13:21 - Apr 11 by D_Alien

It's yet another case of the Conservatives having to take the tough but necessary measures to clear up the mess left by Labour. I just hope that the complacency which comes about through lack of opposition doesn't take its toll, and I look forward to a responsible centre-left alliance emerging at some stage in the future with good leadership

Destroying the NHS, starving schools of resources, increasing the deficit ah yes the party of financial competence . There is an opposition, just it only gets portrayed as 'looney left'' with such crazy ideas like renationalise the railways and free school meals for primary age children.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

70m investment in the town centre on 12:57 - Apr 12 with 1298 viewsmingthemerciless

When the Coalition took power in 2010 the UK economy was just beginning to get up off it's knees after the Worldwide financial crisis. Of course the doctrinaire policies of cuts, cuts and more cuts that followed put the economy back in the doldrums. It was the equivalent of getting a patient just recovering from the flu to go and stand out in the rain.

Of course the main culprits, Cameron, Osbourne and co are now occupants of the " dustbin of history ". The damage has been done but they're all right Jack.
70m investment in the town centre on 13:03 - Apr 12 with 1292 viewsColDale

70m investment in the town centre on 12:28 - Apr 12 by rochdaleriddler

Destroying the NHS, starving schools of resources, increasing the deficit ah yes the party of financial competence . There is an opposition, just it only gets portrayed as 'looney left'' with such crazy ideas like renationalise the railways and free school meals for primary age children.

Unfortunately, there's more opposition in Scottish football these days than there is in Westminster.
70m investment in the town centre on 13:39 - Apr 12 with 1248 views49thseason

Read it and weep.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/greater-manc
70m investment in the town centre on 13:43 - Apr 12 with 1241 viewsD_Alien

70m investment in the town centre on 12:57 - Apr 12 by mingthemerciless

When the Coalition took power in 2010 the UK economy was just beginning to get up off it's knees after the Worldwide financial crisis. Of course the doctrinaire policies of cuts, cuts and more cuts that followed put the economy back in the doldrums. It was the equivalent of getting a patient just recovering from the flu to go and stand out in the rain.

Of course the main culprits, Cameron, Osbourne and co are now occupants of the " dustbin of history ". The damage has been done but they're all right Jack.

Put the economy back in the WHAT ???

70m investment in the town centre on 13:47 - Apr 12 with 1234 viewswatford_dale

70m investment in the town centre on 13:21 - Apr 11 by D_Alien

2025, that's optimistic.

I bet Teresa May could not believe her luck at the Tory leadership race with the internal candidate being that tool Boris and Gove (never a leader) and the main opposition leader is Corbyn. This is how it feels to be Dinamo Zagreb in the Croatian league, she no doubt thought to herself.
70m investment in the town centre on 13:52 - Apr 12 with 1224 viewsD_Alien

70m investment in the town centre on 13:47 - Apr 12 by watford_dale

2025, that's optimistic.

I bet Teresa May could not believe her luck at the Tory leadership race with the internal candidate being that tool Boris and Gove (never a leader) and the main opposition leader is Corbyn. This is how it feels to be Dinamo Zagreb in the Croatian league, she no doubt thought to herself.

Ha! or she might've looked closer to home, north of Hadrian's wall? Hoops!

(On second thoughts, she'd probably get nightmares about Ms Braveheart)

70m investment in the town centre on 16:31 - Apr 12 with 1140 viewstony_roch975

70m investment in the town centre on 13:39 - Apr 12 by 49thseason

Read it and weep.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/greater-manc

Shows how inequality continues to grow in our country. But interestingly the report says "Since 2010 rough sleeping estimates have shot up tenfold in Manchester, yet numbers in Oldham and Rochdale have remained very low"

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

70m investment in the town centre on 21:45 - Apr 12 with 1010 viewsrochdaleriddler

70m investment in the town centre on 13:03 - Apr 12 by ColDale

Unfortunately, there's more opposition in Scottish football these days than there is in Westminster.

depends where you get your news from,no mainstream paper or tv channel reports news anymore, its all dripfed from the elite, the bbc reports what teresa may will say later, before its even happened!

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024