Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gylfi 15:33 - Aug 4 with 81390 viewsDarran

He's off.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gylfi on 13:03 - Aug 9 with 3476 viewsAnotherJohn

Not convinced by the 'economics' of the deal as explained by some of our posters. It is said that Siggy is not a £40m or £50m player, but intrinsic value is a concept used more in finance than economics. Some discussion of price and marginal utility might be nearer the mark.
Gylfi on 13:28 - Aug 9 with 3362 viewsTheFranchise

Gylfi on 12:06 - Aug 9 by jack247

Would you sell it for 3 times its value though, or hold out for 4 times its value?

I know for a fact that if I was buying in a market where an old Fiesta would cost me £11m, i'd make sure I got what I wanted for that Ferrari.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 13:29]
Gylfi on 13:32 - Aug 9 with 3315 viewsjack247

Gylfi on 13:28 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

I know for a fact that if I was buying in a market where an old Fiesta would cost me £11m, i'd make sure I got what I wanted for that Ferrari.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 13:29]

Jack Cork went for £8m I think?

I take your point though, it's an inflated market. Nothing wrong with getting the best possible price, as long as you have the time and options to replace the player.
Gylfi on 13:41 - Aug 9 with 3256 viewsSheffieldjack

Perhaps, now, he's not off!
Gylfi on 14:06 - Aug 9 with 3131 viewssnork44

Gylfi on 02:12 - Aug 9 by AnotherJohn

One version emanating from the Telegraph is that there was verbal agreement on a £45m upfront deal with no adds ons, but that the Toffees then reneged and went back to the earlier offer. Personally I think it is time to tell them to jog on.

The problem is both clubs have owners that haven't got the foggiest idea how British football works Everton have an Asian owner that likes spunking money like there is no tomorrow and we have two American owners that replaced a thoroughly decent man with an absolute feckwit in Brad Bobily and only had to replace him with Clement when they could see the golden egg going down the shitter. Both our transatlantic owners are trying to play 'hardball' with Everton (Boys this isn't the Boston Redsox versus the New York Yankees, this is football not soccer and it is different to your corporate American unimaginative bullshit)and the Everton owner is not playing 'ball' so to speak.

Messrs Levein and Kaplan are so arrogant that they haven't learnt the lessons from last seasons debacle. This needs to be sorted out quickly, because if not we will be this seasons Sunderland!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Gylfi on 14:09 - Aug 9 with 3096 viewsEasternJack

Gylfi on 13:32 - Aug 9 by jack247

Jack Cork went for £8m I think?

I take your point though, it's an inflated market. Nothing wrong with getting the best possible price, as long as you have the time and options to replace the player.

Serious question - how do we replace someone who has been directly involved in 53 of the 133 Premier League goals we have scored over the past three years? We're very dependent on 1 player and it's a huge gamble to replace him. £40m minus a replacement cost is all very good, but we're putting at risk £110M+ if we can't replace that contribution. (Form with this squad and Siggy is top 8 - a period which included an injury to Llorente that slowed us down)

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Gylfi on 14:16 - Aug 9 with 3046 viewsTheKirkyLife

Gylfi on 14:09 - Aug 9 by EasternJack

Serious question - how do we replace someone who has been directly involved in 53 of the 133 Premier League goals we have scored over the past three years? We're very dependent on 1 player and it's a huge gamble to replace him. £40m minus a replacement cost is all very good, but we're putting at risk £110M+ if we can't replace that contribution. (Form with this squad and Siggy is top 8 - a period which included an injury to Llorente that slowed us down)

AND we've added Abraham/Mesa to that mix with potentially more to come after the saga is sorted.
Gylfi on 14:41 - Aug 9 with 2942 viewsjasper_T

Gylfi on 12:06 - Aug 9 by oh_tommy_tommy

Just tell Everton to f&ck off

Stick Siggy on the bench Saturday and tell him to knuckle down as he's staying.

Get on with it mun

lol yeah this always works well for the clubs that try it.
Login to get fewer ads

Gylfi on 14:50 - Aug 9 with 2886 viewsjack247

Ayew, Fer, Routledge (yes, I know) or whoever plays in those positions should all score and create more playing the way we did on Saturday. Plus if this had been sorted quickly, we would have a Siggy replacement. It's a more balanced way of playing, less reliant on individuals. I'm not expecting a single player to come in and match his goal and assist stats, but can't see why we wouldn't score more as a team with a more fluid style.

The other way of looking at it, which I don't agree with but certainly understand, is just don't sell
him. If he is that important to us, tell Everton where to go and play him all through pre season.

Let's be honest, we are nowhere near a top 8 side, with or without Siggy and Llorente.
Gylfi on 18:54 - Aug 9 with 2601 viewsraynor94

BBC Wales just quoted Clement as saying a deal is close. here we go again!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gylfi on 19:09 - Aug 9 with 2527 viewsmonmouth

Gylfi on 18:54 - Aug 9 by raynor94

He he.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Gylfi on 19:13 - Aug 9 with 2501 viewsplasjack

More nightmares tonight for this site.
Gylfi on 19:18 - Aug 9 with 2469 viewsOldjack

That old pony

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Gylfi on 19:19 - Aug 9 with 2464 viewsmax936

Its been closer than close for the last month, Dear Me, he's either being fed bullshit or has had lessons off Pinocchio ffs

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Gylfi on 22:00 - Aug 9 with 2137 viewsNirvana

Gylfi on 07:37 - Aug 9 by ExiledJack

Different opinions don't necessarily indicate that people cannot grasp the financial side of the transfer market, it's hardly rocket science after all.

The accounts will certainly be enlightening, as while there doesn't have to be money lying around there certainly should be if we're being run properly. We have many advantages with our squad composition and being based in Swansea that should assist our wage bill in comparison to other clubs. If our operating costs are equal to our income each and every season, footballing and financial suicide is an apt summation.

The risk in a model where we simply have to sell our crown jewels every year is that we are at the behest of other clubs in the market, as we are currently seeing play out with Everton. Far better to operate from a position of strength. Incidentally, despite Koeman's comments I don't believe Everton's desire for Siggy is strong enough for an equitable trade, hopefully another club will have a need for a player of his skill set before the window closes.

Excellent post, Exiled.

I hope we keep Siggy, though.

If we do sell him, it's £50m.

But the more this drags on, even that sum is not really worth it.

Again, though, smoke and mirrors.

We'll see what happens.
Gylfi on 22:06 - Aug 9 with 2079 viewsNirvana

Gylfi on 13:03 - Aug 9 by AnotherJohn

Not convinced by the 'economics' of the deal as explained by some of our posters. It is said that Siggy is not a £40m or £50m player, but intrinsic value is a concept used more in finance than economics. Some discussion of price and marginal utility might be nearer the mark.

Excellent post, John.
Gylfi on 22:09 - Aug 9 with 2055 viewsNirvana

Keep on rocking in the free world, Eastern.

You're doing a great job on this thread, keep it up.
Gylfi on 22:32 - Aug 9 with 1940 viewsTheResurrection

Serious question you've had answered time and time again. Talk about boring, mate.

Boring is emphasising how much of a non team we are and have become with Siggy in it. The last 3 years have also coincided with the demise of our fast flowing football philosophy. Personally I see a strong correlation.

Saturday also gave you all a glimpse of what life could be without a slow set piece expert fumbling his way around the pitch

Siggy is as run of the mill as you'll find in this league and the only reason he got any air time was because he played for us and it gave lazy pundits something to talk about.

Next season when he's at Everton he won't get a mention.

MARK MY WORDS.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Gylfi on 22:51 - Aug 9 with 1836 viewsMorganator100

Gylfi on 22:32 - Aug 9 by TheResurrection

Serious question you've had answered time and time again. Talk about boring, mate.

Boring is emphasising how much of a non team we are and have become with Siggy in it. The last 3 years have also coincided with the demise of our fast flowing football philosophy. Personally I see a strong correlation.

Saturday also gave you all a glimpse of what life could be without a slow set piece expert fumbling his way around the pitch

Siggy is as run of the mill as you'll find in this league and the only reason he got any air time was because he played for us and it gave lazy pundits something to talk about.

MARK MY WORDS.

I agree totally with The Resurrection here.

As hard working as Gylfi is in midfield, he seem to miss that bit of creativity in that position.
Gylfi on 22:57 - Aug 9 with 1796 viewslondonlisa2001

We'd be less reliant on one player if we had a better squad which is the point many of us are making.

I wouldn't have got rid in January as I don't believe we'd have been able to make the necessary changes to save ourselves, but being so reliant on one player is not healthy. What if he gets injured?
Gylfi on 23:00 - Aug 9 with 1766 viewslondonlisa2001

Gylfi on 22:06 - Aug 9 by Nirvana

Excellent post, John.

Really?

Explain why you believe the concept of marginal utility is the correct way of judging Siggy's worth to the Swans.
Gylfi on 00:18 - Aug 10 with 1549 viewsEasternJack

Gylfi on 22:32 - Aug 9 by TheResurrection

MARK MY WORDS.

Parking aside the "boring" jibe - which by the way shows a chronic lack of self awareness on this particular topic. You're six months deep into your own dull crusade on this.

Broadly, I agree with you on the playing style issue. However what I'm able to do that you aren't is recognise that irrespective of style, this guy has kept us in this league and that there doesn't seem to be a plan to replace him. God help is if we go through 2 months of Routlegde or Leroy in the hole.

The question still stands unanswered - and gets tougher by the day: how do we successfully replace his consistent and critical contribution THIS season? Because if we don't, we'll go the same way as Middlesbrough.

Gylfi on 00:22 - Aug 10 with 1532 viewsEasternJack

Gylfi on 22:51 - Aug 9 by Morganator100

I agree totally with The Resurrection here.

As hard working as Gylfi is in midfield, he seem to miss that bit of creativity in that position.

His assist stats suggest otherwise

Gylfi on 00:23 - Aug 10 with 1525 viewsMorganator100

Gylfi on 00:22 - Aug 10 by EasternJack

His assist stats suggest otherwise

from open play or set pieces?
Gylfi on 00:26 - Aug 10 with 1508 viewsEasternJack

Gylfi on 22:57 - Aug 9 by londonlisa2001

We'd be less reliant on one player if we had a better squad which is the point many of us are making.

I wouldn't have got rid in January as I don't believe we'd have been able to make the necessary changes to save ourselves, but being so reliant on one player is not healthy. What if he gets injured?

Again with the injury phobia ;)

You're right. I broadly agree with on this. But the reality is that we are dependent on him and we're 3 days away from the start of the season with no plan to replace this dependency in place.

The time to deal with this was June/July.

I personally think that he's going to go and we'll be forced to deal with it. The only confidence I have is that we have an excellent manager and coach who at least gives us a chance. However it's a big ask with no guarantees (injury and playing style aside - Siggy does give us those guarantees)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024