Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gylfi 15:33 - Aug 4 with 81392 viewsDarran

He's off.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gylfi on 09:19 - Aug 9 with 2814 viewsWhiterockin

Gylfi on 09:14 - Aug 9 by SwansNZ

5 million to Huw, is a whole new player.

Or Siggys cut if he doesn't put in a transfer request.
Gylfi on 09:27 - Aug 9 with 2768 viewsSwansNZ

Gylfi on 09:17 - Aug 9 by raynor94

This hasn't anything to do with Huw

No, Huw would have sold for 25 million

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Gylfi on 09:59 - Aug 9 with 2664 viewsbyron

Going to have a big problem if he doesn't go now, not just financially but prob an unhappy bunny on huge wages and I bet team morale will be hit having him still here when obv wants out.....have we ever needed a good start more than this season after last seasons shambles???

Benny

Gylfi on 10:19 - Aug 9 with 2584 viewsBirchgrovejack

Gylfi on 09:10 - Aug 9 by raynor94

I think you would be killed in the rush, if this is over £5 million, I hope the truth comes out one day over this farcical situation

You say that £5m is farcical. Its really not, if we were to re invest that into players it could be the difference in buying an £8m player or a £13m player. For the value of player we would buy it is quite significant. Also if it is so farcical why wont billionaires Everton pay it.
Gylfi on 10:29 - Aug 9 with 2537 viewsraynor94

Gylfi on 10:19 - Aug 9 by Birchgrovejack

You say that £5m is farcical. Its really not, if we were to re invest that into players it could be the difference in buying an £8m player or a £13m player. For the value of player we would buy it is quite significant. Also if it is so farcical why wont billionaires Everton pay it.

The farcical situation is that it's ruined our pre season, and there is still no resolution in sight with three days to go. I'd have snapped their hands off for £40 million, we have boxed ourselves into a corner. If this transfer doesn't come off now, somebody needs shooting

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gylfi on 10:39 - Aug 9 with 2484 viewsjack247

Gylfi on 10:19 - Aug 9 by Birchgrovejack

An £8m player 2 weeks ago will cost £13m late in the window
Gylfi on 11:01 - Aug 9 with 2407 viewsTheFranchise

We need to make sure we get what we want for this player.

As much as we all know the £50m is an inflated price, we also have to go and spend in the inflated market.
Gylfi on 11:09 - Aug 9 with 2366 viewsMorfa_Same

Gylfi on 10:29 - Aug 9 by raynor94

The farcical situation is that it's ruined our pre season, and there is still no resolution in sight with three days to go. I'd have snapped their hands off for £40 million, we have boxed ourselves into a corner. If this transfer doesn't come off now, somebody needs shooting

Completely agree with this. He should have been sold weeks ago. £40m was not a derisory offer for a player who will be 28 next month and this posturing is benefitting nobody. By now we could have had a replacement in having played a full part in our pre-season. What's the point of squeezing another £5m out of them when all the decent players have been snapped up and the transfer window is about to slam shut.
Login to get fewer ads

Gylfi on 11:15 - Aug 9 with 2317 viewsWarwickHunt

Gylfi on 11:01 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

As much as we all know the £50m is an inflated price, we also have to go and spend in the inflated market.

Which is shrinking almost daily in quality/choice and also increasing in price.

£45m two/three weeks ago would have been better for us than £48-50m next week.

Looks like we've fücked up. Again.
Gylfi on 11:25 - Aug 9 with 2246 viewsjack247

Gylfi on 11:15 - Aug 9 by WarwickHunt

Which is shrinking almost daily in quality/choice and also increasing in price.

£45m two/three weeks ago would have been better for us than £48-50m next week.

Looks like we've fücked up. Again.

A lot of people seem to be missing this point. The longer we leave it, the more replacements are going to cost.
Gylfi on 11:32 - Aug 9 with 2200 viewsraynor94

Gylfi on 11:01 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

We have missed the boat, yes the window is still open, but prices are raising, we either cave in to Everton or we are stuck with a player who doesn't want to be here, and whose value is only going to go one way

Gylfi on 11:35 - Aug 9 with 2168 viewsTheFranchise

Gylfi on 11:32 - Aug 9 by raynor94

We have missed the boat, yes the window is still open, but prices are raising, we either cave in to Everton or we are stuck with a player who doesn't want to be here, and whose value is only going to go one way

We have no idea if he wants to be here or not. All we have to go on is press speculation.

If he's still here when the window closes, he doesn't seem the type to throw his toys out of the pram.

We are all clueless here, none of us know anything.
Gylfi on 11:37 - Aug 9 with 2151 viewsDyfnant

Gylfi on 11:25 - Aug 9 by jack247

A lot of people seem to be missing this point. The longer we leave it, the more replacements are going to cost.

Or he's staying.
Longer it goes on leaves Everton price on Barkley reducing as well, difference being they'll be lucky to get £15M for him in January, Siggy will still be £40M +

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Gylfi on 11:41 - Aug 9 with 2120 viewsLoyal

Gylfi on 11:35 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

We have no idea if he wants to be here or not. All we have to go on is press speculation.

If he's still here when the window closes, he doesn't seem the type to throw his toys out of the pram.

Not playing a competitive game for 4 months is a clue as to his pram capabilities.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Gylfi on 11:47 - Aug 9 with 2096 viewslondonlisa2001

Gylfi on 00:18 - Aug 9 by lancasterswan

The longer this goes on, the less it looks good for Everton to me. There is something in the deal that is obviously sticking in their craw. It makes the Swansea board look less and less of a roll over-and-give-up 'selling club' in the lower reaches of European/Prem/Championship football.

Although Siggy has said nothing since the end of season bash, lots of media outlets have put words in his mouth. He has trained with whoever, is up to speed and is probably one of the brighter and more media savvy players in the top flight. This Everton deal looked a shoo-in 72 hours ago. I'm not so certain now and will personally be pleased if it goes end up.

Lisa...QUOTE

But the minute we receive an actual offer, by not accepting that offer, we are effectively investing that amount in the player in question. It's an opportunity cost. We give up the opportunity to spend that £40m or whatever on other players.

If we can spend that amount on other players anyway, so be it. But we can't. So we have a choice. Spend it on say three players that would improve the squad, or keep Siggy.

However good a player he is, he is not good enough that it is worth giving up the opportunity to improve the squad in the position we currently find ourselves in.

So it's not win win. UNQUOTE

This is 2008 Lehman Bros economics Lisa. There is cash to buy anyway at the moment. Perhaps 20-30 million from the TV deal, without 'borrowing.' Your first paragraph implies we have nothing invested in the first place in Gylfi as an asset and have to take it on the chin if 50 million doesn't come our way then mourn the loss of three players we could buy (Baston, Tabanou, Frankenstein???) . This is the economics of people who borrow, or 'deploy leverage' in that shitti e st of US phrases. If nothing else, the directors who took us out of the Petty era put their money where their mouth was and didn't borrow. With Gylfi we have a tangible asset. Your 45 or 50 million is intangible, even more so if it is to be spent on 3 players of unknown worth when all Europe and Africa know we have just charged top dollar and are cash rich.

Sigurddsson is an asset on the books, a big asset. By not selling him and without any debt on his presence on the books, we are investing nothing in him now, we have already in the Spurs deal. We are, like the rest of the squad, paying his maintenence costs (wages) as he depreciates over the next few years as an asset. At that point we either realise his value in the market or write him off on the books ... the choice is a moot point in performance against value for any player. Leon and Angel are effectively written off as assets already, (who would buy them??) but their value to the squad in training is priceless, as is their worth in a starting or bench line up. They may be financially written off long ago but they have enormous value to the Club.

Just my take on it....

I genuinely have no idea what point you are making in that.

Selling a player for £40m plus and investing that in three players is not Lehman Brothers economics. It's how you improve a squad in a club of our size.

Secondly we don't have £30m to spend without the sale. That's why the manager has said we won't be bringing any players in without the sale. And so far, we have spent nothing which backs up his statement.

Whether we 'should' have money is a separate discussion.

And finally if we 'allow him to depreciate' and at that point realise his value, if we did that his value is £nil.

You are mixing up accounting treatment with the actual business of this transfer window. I am not saying we have invested anything in Siggy this window in accounting treatment terms - accounting treatment for football is skewed as it doesn't revalue the playing squad every year. I am saying we are forgoing the opportunity to improve our squad.

If people want to argue about the standard of players we'd bring in, again that is a different discussion, but the belief that three players, judiciously selected, for an overall budget of the amount available if we sell Siggy, would be worse for our chances of success than keeping Siggy, is, in my opinion, wrong.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:49 - Aug 9 with 2086 viewslondonlisa2001

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:57 - Aug 8 by EasternJack

Some on here need reminding...

[Post edited 8 Aug 2017 23:58]

No one is saying that he isn't a great player (or I'm not anyway).

But I could equally put up a screenshot of our bench last Saturday...
Gylfi on 11:51 - Aug 9 with 2056 viewsTheFranchise

Gylfi on 11:41 - Aug 9 by Loyal

Not playing a competitive game for 4 months is a clue as to his pram capabilities.

I know if I had a nice rare Ferrari in the garage and knew someone was interested in paying me 3 times it's value to own it, I wouldn't take it out for a spin either.
Gylfi on 11:53 - Aug 9 with 2039 viewsraynor94

Gylfi on 11:35 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

If he wanted to be here, he wouldn't have said his head wasn't in it, his lack of game time and the body language and interview of Clement tells you all you need to know on that front

Gylfi on 11:54 - Aug 9 with 2034 viewslondonlisa2001

Gylfi on 11:51 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

I know if I had a nice rare Ferrari in the garage and knew someone was interested in paying me 3 times it's value to own it, I wouldn't take it out for a spin either.

Yeah. But perhaps you'd have sold it three weeks ago for 2 and a half times its value if it meant you could go out and buy the things you desperately needed with that money.
Gylfi on 11:55 - Aug 9 with 2019 viewsDarran

Gylfi on 10:29 - Aug 9 by raynor94

I'm with Rayns on this.

It's currently looking like a complete fuçk up.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gylfi on 12:06 - Aug 9 with 1952 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Just tell Everton to f&ck off

Stick Siggy on the bench Saturday and tell him to knuckle down as he's staying.

Get on with it mun

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Gylfi on 12:06 - Aug 9 with 1948 viewsjack247

Gylfi on 11:51 - Aug 9 by TheFranchise

Would you sell it for 3 times its value though, or hold out for 4 times its value?
Gylfi on 12:19 - Aug 9 with 1853 viewsbermudajack

Gylfi on 12:06 - Aug 9 by jack247

Would you sell it for 3 times its value though, or hold out for 4 times its value?

You have to ask yourself one simple question...

Why haven't we reported Everton to the FA for tapping up Siggi ?

If you think this is not a two way street and both the club & player want this to happen then your deluded..

I want to agree with Lisa on this one, keep it in the garage until the replacements are sorted

All this Siggi bashing is music to the boards ears, no one knows the true state of affairs, but what has come to light has how broke we are & dependant on this deal to make further purchases, that in itself is a little scarey... 😳

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Gylfi on 12:31 - Aug 9 with 1769 viewsplasjack

Gylfi on 12:19 - Aug 9 by bermudajack

If you think this is not a two way street and both the club & player want this to happen then your deluded..

I want to agree with Lisa on this one, keep it in the garage until the replacements are sorted

All this Siggi bashing is music to the boards ears, no one knows the true state of affairs, but what has come to light has how broke we are & dependant on this deal to make further purchases, that in itself is a little scarey... 😳

Unless you are a club with external revenue outside of transfer deals (ManU etc), smaller clubs will rely on wheeling and dealing.
We are lucky to have Siggi to bargain with, no one else in our squad comes in that category.
Gylfi on 12:47 - Aug 9 with 1692 viewsjack247

Gylfi on 12:19 - Aug 9 by bermudajack

This is a three way street. Both clubs and Siggy want this to happen.

The issue is, we have effectively said to them - 'he's yours lads, we'll sort the money out when we get round to it'. They have got us by the balls. Regardless of car analogies, that's where we are at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024