Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Uplands eateries 10:39 - Sep 12 with 11120 viewsjack_lord

Going out in Uplands on Saturday and looking for a nice meal. Any suggestions or wander further afield?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Uplands eateries on 23:11 - Sep 13 with 1544 viewsmax936

Uplands eateries on 23:00 - Sep 13 by jack_lord

The first time in 25 years I'm going to have a proper night in the Uplands and the Tav is effing closed.

Used to call there quite often in Summer on way back from Mumbles, but Mrs was never fused on the place, tad boisterous for her, bless her.
Brewstone looked quite busy when I passed in my Van bout 12ish seems very popular

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Uplands eateries on 23:14 - Sep 13 with 1540 viewsDr_Winston

Brewstone can f*ck right off. £5 a pint.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Uplands eateries on 23:16 - Sep 13 with 1538 viewsmax936

Uplands eateries on 23:14 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

Fuk my eyes, seconded.

Uplands eateries on 23:21 - Sep 13 with 1535 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 23:14 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

iesu grist - how much?

We were eating in Brewstones and I wanted to go to the Tav as it was a big part of me "growing up" - I know the place is trendy and of course it is very different from my time which is probably a good thing. I can deal with pretentious people who think they are the big cheese for short periods and want to filter that by having time in a good pub.

How's the Cricketers these days?

Uplands eateries on 23:25 - Sep 13 with 1532 viewsmax936

Uplands eateries on 23:21 - Sep 13 by jack_lord

iesu grist - how much?

We were eating in Brewstones and I wanted to go to the Tav as it was a big part of me "growing up" - I know the place is trendy and of course it is very different from my time which is probably a good thing. I can deal with pretentious people who think they are the big cheese for short periods and want to filter that by having time in a good pub.

J, do you know if your Doberman friends have any pups available? Ta

Uplands eateries on 23:29 - Sep 13 with 1526 viewsDr_Winston

iesu grist - how much?

Last time I was in Brewstone that's how much a pint cost me. It's the first and last pint I'll be buying in that place.

A pint of Greene King IPA in the Tav isn't that expensive, but otherwise Uplands is an absurdly priced place full of hipsters.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Uplands eateries on 23:42 - Sep 13 with 1516 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 23:25 - Sep 13 by max936

J, do you know if your Doberman friends have any pups available? Ta

Steve, don't think Lynne has any due but they are seriously champion Dobeys winning loads. I'm sure they will know of any though.

Uplands eateries on 23:47 - Sep 13 with 1513 viewsSwanjaxs

Uplands eateries on 23:29 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

Last time I was in Brewstone that's how much a pint cost me. It's the first and last pint I'll be buying in that place.

A pint of Greene King IPA in the Tav isn't that expensive, but otherwise Uplands is an absurdly priced place full of hipsters.

I fear for the Tavs when it reopens....

Best case scenario they keep prices reasonable so locals and students will go 7 days a week for the craìc and to see live music....

Worst case scenario ..... it will morph into another plastic pub @5 pound a pint.. 🤐

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Login to get fewer ads

Uplands eateries on 23:51 - Sep 13 with 1508 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 23:47 - Sep 13 by Swanjaxs

I fear for the Tavs when it reopens....

Best case scenario they keep prices reasonable so locals and students will go 7 days a week for the craìc and to see live music....

Worst case scenario ..... it will morph into another plastic pub @5 pound a pint.. 🤐

I really hope it is the former. I remember when Streets opened and the locals from all of west of Swansea turned up.

Uplands eateries on 09:59 - Sep 14 with 1458 viewsDarran

Uplands eateries on 23:51 - Sep 13 by jack_lord

I really hope it is the former. I remember when Streets opened and the locals from all of west of Swansea turned up.

So you don't agree with people from other parts of Swansea going to other parts of Swansea for a drink?

Where do you live again?
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 9:59]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Uplands eateries on 10:07 - Sep 14 with 1456 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 09:59 - Sep 14 by Darran

So you don't agree with people from other parts of Swansea going to other parts of Swansea for a drink?

Where do you live again?
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 9:59]

That is not what I said.

I do have a house in Sketty though.

Uplands eateries on 10:08 - Sep 14 with 1454 viewsDarran

Uplands eateries on 10:07 - Sep 14 by jack_lord

That is not what I said.

I do have a house in Sketty though.

Yeah yeah.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Uplands eateries on 10:13 - Sep 14 with 1451 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 10:08 - Sep 14 by Darran

Yeah yeah.

Not sure how accurate this is, but back in 80's townies didn't go to Mumbles and Surfies didn't really go to town in the way they do now.

Uplands eateries on 10:20 - Sep 14 with 1448 viewsjack247

Uplands eateries on 10:13 - Sep 14 by jack_lord

Not sure how accurate this is, but back in 80's townies didn't go to Mumbles and Surfies didn't really go to town in the way they do now.

Up until Oyster Wharf, no one has really gone into Mumbles for a long time. Uplands and SA1 kind of took over it's crowd. Different clientele down there now, but at least it's busy(ish) again.
Uplands eateries on 12:47 - Sep 14 with 1423 viewsSPboy

iesu grist - how much?

The Cricketers is boarded up & has been closed for quite a while. A developer has submitted plans to build a ridiculous amount of student flats on the plot. Row with residents going on due to no parking facilities in the plans.

Shame, it was a good & famous pub in its heyday
Uplands eateries on 13:06 - Sep 14 with 1409 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 12:47 - Sep 14 by SPboy

The Cricketers is boarded up & has been closed for quite a while. A developer has submitted plans to build a ridiculous amount of student flats on the plot. Row with residents going on due to no parking facilities in the plans.

Shame, it was a good & famous pub in its heyday

That is really sad. Can the Trust afford to buy it - massive shame to see that dissappear.

Uplands eateries on 14:27 - Sep 14 with 1393 viewswhoflungdung

The cricketers was iconic.
Another Swansea institution gone

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Uplands eateries on 18:10 - Sep 14 with 1363 viewsmax936

Uplands eateries on 23:42 - Sep 13 by jack_lord

Steve, don't think Lynne has any due but they are seriously champion Dobeys winning loads. I'm sure they will know of any though.

Any chance you could ask them for me J thanks, Been in touch with a breeder called Newfords they've got a few pups left but they're up in Cambs, not fussed about shooting up there to pick one up though, there seems to be a few litters around from European imports, not gonna go down that road though, they are big boned dogs typically European big strong dogs, Baron was a big old lump, Max was big, but Baron was taller and probably 2 stone heavier he was a great dog, but could be a stubborn sod, he died young though bout 7 or 8 another sad day and totally unexpected.

Uplands eateries on 18:57 - Sep 14 with 1346 viewsexhmrc1

have you thought of restaurants on St Helens or Brynymor Rd. They are very close. The other alternative is to put Uplands off and take her to the Butchers or the Gwachel.
Uplands eateries on 21:56 - Sep 14 with 1321 viewsFieryJack

Uplands eateries on 10:13 - Sep 14 by jack_lord

In the 70s and 80s it was rare for university students to be seen anywhere in the city centre.

In fact, they were warned not to go into the centre - they used to get attacked occasionally. They'd just stick to the safety of Brynmill, Uplands & Mumbles.

How times have changed - the centre is fugging swarming with them on some nights!
Uplands eateries on 22:01 - Sep 14 with 1320 viewsFieryJack

Uplands eateries on 23:29 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

Damn right.

When I first went in the Tavern it was still called the Uplands Hotel & was a traditional 2 room affair - Lounge on the right (I think) and public bar on the left. Probably not a great deal different from when Dylan Thomas drank there.

God knows where the trendy hipster types used to hang out back then, but i wish they'd fu*k off back there.
Uplands eateries on 22:22 - Sep 14 with 1306 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 18:57 - Sep 14 by exhmrc1

have you thought of restaurants on St Helens or Brynymor Rd. They are very close. The other alternative is to put Uplands off and take her to the Butchers or the Gwachel.

Funnily enough I suggested the Butchers when I got home as I didn't want to go to the Uplands without the Tavern open. The Gwach is ok for ordinary pub grub so maybe the Butchers and wander down for a drink.

That said, maybe something nice in town.

Uplands eateries on 22:27 - Sep 14 with 1303 viewsexhmrc1

I was in the Butchers Saturday. It is nice but expensive and very slow service. Had sunday lunch a couple of months ago in the Gwach and it was excellent. The Gwach has music on so it will be very much like the Tavs. It is also Camra's pub of the year.
Uplands eateries on 23:17 - Sep 14 with 1286 viewsjack_lord

Uplands eateries on 14:27 - Sep 14 by whoflungdung

The cricketers was iconic.
Another Swansea institution gone

I loved the Cricks, part of my holy trinity.

Uplands eateries on 23:24 - Sep 14 with 1282 viewstheloneranger

Uplands eateries on 21:56 - Sep 14 by FieryJack

In the 70s and 80s it was rare for university students to be seen anywhere in the city centre.

In fact, they were warned not to go into the centre - they used to get attacked occasionally. They'd just stick to the safety of Brynmill, Uplands & Mumbles.

How times have changed - the centre is fugging swarming with them on some nights!

Bring back the Mumbles Mile....piease

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024