Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can any referees out there help 18:42 - Sep 23 with 4974 viewsQPR_John

When does a restart after the referee stops the game for an injury require a contested drop ball or a player kicking it back to the opposition in a less dangerous part of the field. We were playing along Burtons penalty area the referee stops the game then at the restart allows Burton to kick the ball to Smithies. We do not only lose the initiative but ground as well. There was a contested drop ball on the half way line so it appears to still be part of the game.

Can any referees out there help on 13:52 - Sep 25 with 920 viewsPinnerPaul

Can any referees out there help on 13:15 - Sep 25 by Northernr

I thought he was good as well, although that back pass/deliberate kick to the goalkeeper in the first half was pretty obvious.

A tackle or interception that ends up with the GK, isn't judged a deliberate kick to him.

You could argue that one you mention either way, but can see why he didn't give it myself.

Being 100% honest, the consequence of the 'punishment' - a fk in the penalty area being out of all proportion to the seriousness of the offence - comes into it, which is why if there is ever the slightest doubt that the 'kick' was deliberate or not meant specifically for the GK then the referee will take the 'easy way out' - shocking I know - but we justify it as 'game management'
Can any referees out there help on 14:05 - Sep 25 with 899 viewsQPR_John

Can any referees out there help on 12:52 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

OK folks

Drop balls - Referee has no authority to order a contested or non contested drop ball, actually states that in the laws.

If you asked top referees why it appears they DO seem to do that every game, I'm sure they will say they are just suggesting to the players what would be a good idea or even asking them what they are going to do. For the contested one on Saturday - looked like neither team wanted to 'give' the ball back when asked - hence the contested. Ball does have to touch the ground before a player can touch it. Law was changed a few seasons ago, so a goal can NOT be scored directly from a drop ball any longer. Ball goes in the net straight from a drop ball its a GK or a corner if in own net.

'Back Pass' - no such thing. The law is 'Deliberate kick to the goalkeeper' which I think you'll agree is more specific and why you don't see many given.

Ref Saturday - thought he had a good game, but I'm accused of always saying that, so ignore that, those of you it upsets so much.

Cheers

"I'm sure they will say they are just suggesting to the players "

The cynic in mean might suggest there is suggesting and suggesting. Why a team would not want a contested drop ball next to the oppositions penalty area seems odd.
Can any referees out there help on 16:11 - Sep 25 with 867 viewsblacky200

Can any referees out there help on 09:22 - Sep 24 by PlanetHonneywood

This!

May I just add, that when I hear anyone above the age of 30 say that this nonsense is 'part of the game', I really, really want them to be struck down there and then with the tom-tits!

Forget about ordinary people saying its part of the game. It makes me livid when football pundits (especially ex-footballers) saying he had a right to go down there or something similar.
Can any referees out there help on 16:46 - Sep 25 with 856 viewsPinnerPaul

Can any referees out there help on 14:05 - Sep 25 by QPR_John

"I'm sure they will say they are just suggesting to the players "

The cynic in mean might suggest there is suggesting and suggesting. Why a team would not want a contested drop ball next to the oppositions penalty area seems odd.

I'm sure you're right John, but if a team absolutely refuses to 'play ball' as it were, nothing referee can do. We can guess that's what happened with the contested drop ball - but doesn't happen often as you say.
Can any referees out there help on 16:58 - Sep 25 with 845 viewselnombre

Can any referees out there help on 16:46 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

I'm sure you're right John, but if a team absolutely refuses to 'play ball' as it were, nothing referee can do. We can guess that's what happened with the contested drop ball - but doesn't happen often as you say.

Indeed, in a similar situation, when one team has put the ball out of play?

I seem to remember (though how reliably...?), mid 90's possibly v Arsenal, we put the ball out for a throw-in to get treatment for an injury. At the restart, Arsenal took the throw directly to (possibly) Paul Merson, who dribbled past two rather bemused-looking defenders and scored.

I might be misremembering the ground, oppositiion, and player...!
Can any referees out there help on 17:44 - Sep 25 with 826 viewsNorthernr

Can any referees out there help on 16:58 - Sep 25 by elnombre

Indeed, in a similar situation, when one team has put the ball out of play?

I seem to remember (though how reliably...?), mid 90's possibly v Arsenal, we put the ball out for a throw-in to get treatment for an injury. At the restart, Arsenal took the throw directly to (possibly) Paul Merson, who dribbled past two rather bemused-looking defenders and scored.

I might be misremembering the ground, oppositiion, and player...!

Arsenal v Sheff Utd, think Overmars scored, think it was FA Cup. Steve Bruce's first big coronary. They replayed the game amazingly.
Can any referees out there help on 17:49 - Sep 25 with 823 viewsQPR_Jim

Can any referees out there help on 17:44 - Sep 25 by Northernr

Arsenal v Sheff Utd, think Overmars scored, think it was FA Cup. Steve Bruce's first big coronary. They replayed the game amazingly.

I always thought it was Kanu.
Can any referees out there help on 21:08 - Sep 25 with 789 viewselnombre

Can any referees out there help on 17:44 - Sep 25 by Northernr

Ah, that makes sense now, thanks Clive - had a mate who was a big Blades fan, Hoops must have been away that day.

I've got one of those bracelets with my name and address on, in case I 'get lost'...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024