Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? 16:31 - Dec 20 with 36974 viewsswisscottage

Really like Evanescence after first hearing Bring Me to Life and My Immortal on the Daredevil soundtrack back in 2003 and have most of their albums, but never really investigated the gothic or symphonic metal genres back then.

About two weeks ago I heard Amaranth by Nightwish which blew me away and I started looking into the whole Gothic/Symphonic genres. ( I know they're not the same, but there's a big overlap) and I just love the Classical female vocals backed up by symphonic metal.

So currently (excluding Evanescence) I've been listening to and rank in terms of my favorites:
Inside Temptation
Nightwish
Epica
After Forever ( because Floor Jansen is now lead vocalist in Nightwish so I though I'd check them out) - I haven't checked out Revamp yet probably will this weekend.

So from anyone that is really into this genre; are there any other bands you'd recommend, other than me pulling up the 'top 10 gothic metal bands' from Google :) ?
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 16:38 - Dec 20 with 18118 viewsdanehoop

One for Metallica I think.

Never knowingly understood

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 16:55 - Dec 20 with 18094 viewsSimonJames

My top 5 would probably be:
Bauhaus
The Cult
Sisters of Mercy
Killing Joke
Siouxsie and the Banshees

100% of people who drink water will die.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 17:26 - Dec 20 with 18087 viewsR_from_afar

You might also like British outfit Dragonforce. They play at a blistering pace but it's not doom-laden and is melodic so I believe they are similar to the others.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 18:29 - Dec 20 with 18046 viewsLutonianR

I've been listening to this kind of music for years, and have Evanescence, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Epica & After Forever all on my phone. A few others worth checking out that I also have:

Apocalyptica
Delain
Lacuna Coil
Leaves' Eyes
Sirenia
Tarja (Original singer for Nightwish)

I have seen Evanescence (Hammersmith, and have tickets to see them in April too), Nightwish (saw them in Prague!), Apocalytica (saw them in Luxembourg!), Within Temptation (Wembley Arena), & Delain (supported Within Temptation at Wembley Arena). Did have tickets to see Tarja too, but wasn't able to go.
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 19:09 - Dec 20 with 18006 viewsswisscottage

Thanks Everyone.

Heavy and Thrash Metal not quite for me and whilst there's some Metallica that I like which is more melodic, on the whole its too heavy for me.

@Simon
Thanks for the list. Whilst I like gothic rock, and hard rock to a degree, its not really what I was looking for, having grown up with these bands in the 80s as a teenager. Whereas I missed out on the transition to gothic metal and symphonic metal in the mid 90s as I stopped listening to music to the same degree when I started my 'adult' life at the end of the 80s early 90s ;).

Its more the symphonic metal and gothic symphonic metal I was after which started in the 90s. Not too keen on heavy or thrash metal, and particularly like female vocals which is why I love Nightwish ( Tarja Turanan and Floor Jansen) Evanescence(Amy Lee) and Within Temptation(Sharon den Adel), but willing to listen to anything at least once :)

@ Lutonian
I'll try
Apocalyptica
Delain
Leaves' Eyes

thanks.

Love Tarja .. goes without saying I think :)
Lacuna Coil so far hasn't quite hit the same chord as Nightwish with Tarja and Floor, or Within Temptation, but I'll give them another go.

Sirenia Mixed bag for me but I love 'My Mind's Eye'.
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 19:16 - Dec 20 with 18004 viewsconnell10

Nah it’s shite!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 20:38 - Dec 20 with 17962 viewsBluce_Ree

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 16:55 - Dec 20 by SimonJames

My top 5 would probably be:
Bauhaus
The Cult
Sisters of Mercy
Killing Joke
Siouxsie and the Banshees

Excellent.

I can't get into symphonic metal. It's too ponce for my liking. Overproduced, overplayed. I want more of the raw.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:56 - Dec 21 with 17893 viewsBathRanger

Check out Beyond The Black too. Only released a couple of albums but similar sound to Within Temptation. Other than that, the bands I'd recommend have all been mentioned already (Delain, Nightwish, etc).

Cheers
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:03 - Dec 21 with 17884 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Not my cup of tea, doom/stoner/sludge is what I like plus some death etc. Love Carcass. For this stuff Metallica Hoop is your man.
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:12 - Dec 21 with 17878 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Try Amberian Dawn with the singer Heidi, the first 3 albums are superb.

Revamp were very good, I've liked Floor since After forever.

I saw Tarja at islington a few years ago what a voice.

Try my favourite French band Wildpath the harmonies and vocals are brilliant.

Or if you fancy a symphonic folk detour try Dalriada from Hungary.

Lyriel are from Germany and very good too. (probably the only band on this thread I havent seen live)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:53 - Dec 21 with 17858 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:03 - Dec 21 with 17786 viewsBoston

Be warned Swiss, dress code is nothing but leather trench coat, matching knee length boots and a 1940's stylee USAF cap. Oh hang on you live in Swiss Cottage so....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:08 - Dec 21 with 17778 viewsEsox_Lucius

Would this count? I REALLY like this track.

and this one is decent too.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2017 15:12]

The grass is always greener.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 20:12 - Dec 21 with 17730 viewslarsricchi

Does Chelsea Wolfe fit this discussion? I like her.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 20:46 - Dec 21 with 17711 viewsswisscottage

Again, Thank you for the responses.

Apocalytica, quite liked, cello metal:).

Delain, Listened to playlist on youtube, wasn't all that keen, but I can't put my finger on quite why. I might give them another listen

Leaves Eye's - great! Although I wonder what their direction is after sacking Liv Kristine... made me listen to Theatre of Tragedy who predate Nightwish, and they've got some decent stuff before Liv was kicked out the there in 2003 when she started Leaves Eyes.

Beyond the Black - Lestened to Lost in Forever then Songs of Love and Death. Fabulous. Thank you.

Amberian Dawn - Great!, Again Thank you.

Wildpath - Listened to Underneath. Like a lot. Just that little bit different in a good way. will listen to the rest over the christmas period.

Dalriada - Listened to a bit of Szelek. Liked it, but probably a bit down on my list now thanks to your suggestions.

Whilst looking at these came across Eluveitie who I really liked ..especially their song Omnos.. so i guess I'm going to have to look at more Folk Metal now :).
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 20:49 - Dec 21 with 17710 viewsswisscottage

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:03 - Dec 21 by Boston

Be warned Swiss, dress code is nothing but leather trench coat, matching knee length boots and a 1940's stylee USAF cap. Oh hang on you live in Swiss Cottage so....

I guess I could manage that :). Although my handle comes from when I live in Switzerland :).
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:21 - Dec 29 with 17580 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One I forgot about.

Don't let the low budget video put you off, the album is fantastic.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:46 - Dec 29 with 17568 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Jogged my memory of Russian bands. These guys are more heavy/folk but worth checking out the singer is incredible.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 17:37 - Jan 6 with 17427 viewsdavid_badwolf

I agree with Leaves' Eyes and Tarja.
There's also Dark Sarah (Amberian Dawn's former vocalist Heidi Parviainen).
I recently discovered a singer called LEAH, who blends symphonic metal and celtic music; in fact, she's nicknamed "The Metal-Enya"!
By far the best album I've heard in the last few weeks is 'A Dark Forgotten Past' by Eldamar.

Does anyone know if any of the metal (or other music) magazines cover the symphonic sub-genre? Or is there a good website that has all the latest news and releases etc?
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 18:01]
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:31 - Jan 9 with 17328 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Not that I know of. There is however a Facebook group with thousands of members where new bands eye post their stuff and others post obscure stuff. Turn off notifications from it though. Can't search for it on the mob but the one with many thousand members is the one. It's called female fronted metal (or female symphonic or something) Facebook fu put to purpose should set you upon path.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:36 - Jan 9 with 17314 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Not sure if mentioned earlier but have you checked out a band called Equilibrium? I'm not a massive fan of this genre as I mentioned earlier, but do like a good instrumental and these guys make some of the best.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 17:06 - Jan 9 with 17271 viewsMetallica_Hoop

An old favourite of mine.

The mighty Vibeke Stene

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:50 - Jan 10 with 17218 viewsdavid_badwolf

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:31 - Jan 9 by Metallica_Hoop

Not that I know of. There is however a Facebook group with thousands of members where new bands eye post their stuff and others post obscure stuff. Turn off notifications from it though. Can't search for it on the mob but the one with many thousand members is the one. It's called female fronted metal (or female symphonic or something) Facebook fu put to purpose should set you upon path.

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming that it's this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/172473112889017/

"Power of Female Fronted Metal"
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 22:45 - Jan 12 with 17108 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm not a member of that one but I'll join.

Here's a good one, it covers all. I'll look for the other one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/35172108903/ Edit no it was this one. Some good stuff appears here
Some Lyriel in the meantime.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 22:48]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:04 - Jan 12 with 17092 viewsMetallica_Hoop

These guys are very good especially the guitar player.

They have Classical/symphonic elements.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024