Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? 13:29 - Feb 15 with 3105 viewsSwissdale

Instead of focusing on an individual, I’d be interested in people’s opinions on the entire squad (excluding loan signings and coaches such as BBM). In my opinion we have 7 players who I would consider ‘Good Enough’ to be regular League One starters. Forget ‘individual mistakes’, the pitch, postponements or any other excuse, the lack of quality in the team is the reason IMHO why we are bottom of the league.

Josh Lillis - Good Enough
Joseph Rafferty - Good Enough
Harrison McGahey - Good Enough
Callum Camps - Good Enough
Matt Done - Good Enough
Andrew Cannon - Good Enough
Ian Henderson - Good Enough
Kgosietsile Ntlhe - Squad Player
Jimmy McNulty - Squad Player
Niall Canavan - Squad Player
Calvin Andrew - Squad Player
Scott Wiseman - Squad Player
Oliver Rathbone - Squad Player
Keith Keane - Squad Player
Brendan Moore - Squad Player
Mark Kitching - Squad Player
Reece Brown - Not Good Enough
Jordan Williams - Not Good Enough
Joseph Thompson - Not Good Enough
Steve Davies - Not Good Enough (Can’t stay fit)
Ryan Delaney - TBC
Daniel Adshead - TBC
Aaron Morley - TBC
Matthew Gillam - TBC
Bradley Wade - TBC
Isaac Ward - TBC
Keith Kearney - TBC
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 13:38 - Feb 15 with 3073 viewsDaleFan7

I'd move Rathbone into good enough.

McNulty, Canavan, Wiseman and possibly Gillam into not good enough.
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 14:00 - Feb 15 with 3008 viewsDaleiLama

On what are you basing this? JB could have been in all three categories. Where would Matty Done be at specific moments in time? Not long ago the Hendo lynch mob were in full swing. NML had some very mediocre spells but look where he took off to. For me, we have a squad because players can come in and out of form, get injuries and blossom from nowhere. They also don't do that according to specific timescales. It's why I leave this kind of stuff to Keith. No disrespect to the OP though - it makes for good debate.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 14:01]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 14:00 - Feb 15 with 3007 viewsJimmyRustler

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 13:38 - Feb 15 by DaleFan7

I'd move Rathbone into good enough.

McNulty, Canavan, Wiseman and possibly Gillam into not good enough.

Gillam has scored 2 goals in 9 appearances, which have largely come off the bench. I think it's a bit unfair to judge him as not good enough yet - I think he's looked pretty decent from what I've seen of him.

I suppose the whole thread depends on what your perceptions of the club are. What exactly constitutes 'good enough' for a club of our size and stature? Under normal circumstances, I would say that we're a stable League 1 club so I'd judge the players on this basis. However, I think it's now about looking towards the future and figuring out how many players will be good enough for next season in League 2.
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 14:27 - Feb 15 with 2921 viewsDaleFan7

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 14:00 - Feb 15 by JimmyRustler

Gillam has scored 2 goals in 9 appearances, which have largely come off the bench. I think it's a bit unfair to judge him as not good enough yet - I think he's looked pretty decent from what I've seen of him.

I suppose the whole thread depends on what your perceptions of the club are. What exactly constitutes 'good enough' for a club of our size and stature? Under normal circumstances, I would say that we're a stable League 1 club so I'd judge the players on this basis. However, I think it's now about looking towards the future and figuring out how many players will be good enough for next season in League 2.

It's mainly based on what I've seen of him and the fact that we have scored one more goal than game played in the league. He's 20 so not as if he's only just come out of the academy like Morley/Adshead. The fact Hill has gone out to get players like Humphrys in on loan who is the same age can't be a ringing endorsement for Gillam. In our position and with our goal scoring record, if Hill thought he was good enough for this division would he not play him more?
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 15:05 - Feb 15 with 2823 viewsdingdangblue

Or maybe we could support the whole squad who have given us Sunday's wonderful game?
And worry about the league situation on Monday.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 17:38 - Feb 15 with 2579 viewsShun

Can't argue with much of the OP, but I'd include Rathbone and Kitching in the good enough category. I think in general the squad as a whole is certainly good enough to be a stable League One side. The fact that we aren't exactly that right now I think is more down to management mistakes rather than squad deficiencies.
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 18:39 - Feb 15 with 2453 viewsJimmyRustler

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 14:27 - Feb 15 by DaleFan7

It's mainly based on what I've seen of him and the fact that we have scored one more goal than game played in the league. He's 20 so not as if he's only just come out of the academy like Morley/Adshead. The fact Hill has gone out to get players like Humphrys in on loan who is the same age can't be a ringing endorsement for Gillam. In our position and with our goal scoring record, if Hill thought he was good enough for this division would he not play him more?

As I say, he's impressed me when I've seen him. As an aside, II think he's 19 not 20 but he's still pretty slight so I get the feeling Hill is protecting him. Mind you,if you look at how Hooper broke onto the scene and then fell by the wayside, it's difficult to say what's happening behind the scenes. All I'm saying is that the jury is still out on Gillam as far as I'm concerned and I think it's unfair to write him off at such an early stage
The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 19:17 - Feb 15 with 2379 viewsblackdogblue

For me agree with most of what’s said on here, but what positions are we basing this on? Take Calvin as an example, not good enough / squad player? Really, he’s been left back/winger/striker, I want a great fan when he arrived but he gives 100% every game I watch home & away.

We shouldn’t be judging players so much, stray passes are because we have someone in that position one week & team changed the next.

For me, and in the words of wisdom of the greatest England Manager of all time (Mike Bassett) we are playing fcuking 4-4-2!!!

Memories are faded of our last promotion season of Micheal Rose & Matty Done on the wing & someone in the middle to put it in back of the net.

A better judge is are they good enough in the positions they should be??

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Login to get fewer ads

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 19:24 - Feb 15 with 2333 views442Dale

The Whole Squad - Good Enough? on 19:17 - Feb 15 by blackdogblue

For me agree with most of what’s said on here, but what positions are we basing this on? Take Calvin as an example, not good enough / squad player? Really, he’s been left back/winger/striker, I want a great fan when he arrived but he gives 100% every game I watch home & away.

We shouldn’t be judging players so much, stray passes are because we have someone in that position one week & team changed the next.

For me, and in the words of wisdom of the greatest England Manager of all time (Mike Bassett) we are playing fcuking 4-4-2!!!

Memories are faded of our last promotion season of Micheal Rose & Matty Done on the wing & someone in the middle to put it in back of the net.

A better judge is are they good enough in the positions they should be??

Rose and Done shared left back duties for most of that season. We did play with two up top but when we did it wasn’t ever a traditional 4-4-2 as Vincenti and Henderson were often the wider players with the latter given licence to roam while Vincenti tucked in.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024