Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Connor Ronan 18:04 - May 8 with 3861 viewsrkershaw

Any chance of the Wolves midfielder coming back our way on a season long loan next time round?
[Post edited 8 May 2018 18:05]
Connor Ronan on 18:26 - May 8 with 3786 viewsColDale

Doubt it.

We've got a multitude of young talented midfielders of our own with Camps, Cannon, Rathbone, Morley, Adshead. What we need is someone experienced who can offer protection to the defence and allow the others to flourish and concentrate on their natural game, whilst controlling the game to ensure that when sitting on leads we can play in the opposition half in the closing stages. It's arguably the most important signing of the Summer.
Connor Ronan on 18:33 - May 8 with 3748 viewsaleanddale

Sign Harrison McGahey

Get some genuine Pace up front / out wide with quality proven at Lg1 ideally ( NML Mold)

Replace Davies ( and I am a huge fan and am grateful for his services ) with something similar with a better injury record - and I think we would have a great season with what we have.

3 key positions to strengthen IMO - maybe that lad from Middlesbrough as the fox in the box goal scorer who did really well at the buckets this season ( in a shocker of a team ).

Easy this management lark Keith!!

Connor Ronan on 19:01 - May 8 with 3654 viewsFondles

Conor who? Not heard of the lad
Connor Ronan on 19:04 - May 8 with 3635 views442Dale

Connor Ronan on 18:26 - May 8 by ColDale

Doubt it.

We've got a multitude of young talented midfielders of our own with Camps, Cannon, Rathbone, Morley, Adshead. What we need is someone experienced who can offer protection to the defence and allow the others to flourish and concentrate on their natural game, whilst controlling the game to ensure that when sitting on leads we can play in the opposition half in the closing stages. It's arguably the most important signing of the Summer.

It’s been a shame Keane hasn’t been fit as he could have been that man. His performance at Chesterfield last season illustrated he would have been perfect - including a brilliant pass for Henderson to score - however it’s never happened so far so we need to look elsewhere. MJ Williams illustrated he’s going to be a very good player in that role, but we need that know how and leadership now. It’s not unfair to say that if we had a Perkins or a Cavanagh last season, we’d have been 15 points better off. If the former is an option, and he played regularly during Wigan’s great cup run, then right now he’d be the number one target. We might only get a season out of him, but that’s exactly how we should be thinking when bringing along younger players; an experienced head arriving for a year or two, doing a job and then moving on.

It’s exactly what Hill did so effectively with Cavanagh and Rose in midfield. Both knew they weren’t the future and that their experience was there to benefit the team exclusively before they’d inevitably be left behind. We need not reinvent the wheel in this area because we know what works. So yeah, by far the most important signing we will make and one which will hopefully ensure we don’t continually witness a lack of nous in how we see out games.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Connor Ronan on 19:18 - May 8 with 3564 viewsdingdangblue

I think there will be a few Championship sides after him so doubt it.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Connor Ronan on 19:25 - May 8 with 3532 viewsBartRowou

David Vaughan (just released by Forest) would be an ideal addition to our midfield. Stumbling blocks would be his age (35) and his wage. I can definitely see him in our division next year.

Forest also want to loan Aryibi but only to a club that will play him regularly (came from Chesterfield and was on loan to MK and Northampton so his morale's probably rock-bottom).

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Connor Ronan on 20:44 - May 8 with 3330 viewsfitzochris

Connor Ronan on 19:04 - May 8 by 442Dale

It’s been a shame Keane hasn’t been fit as he could have been that man. His performance at Chesterfield last season illustrated he would have been perfect - including a brilliant pass for Henderson to score - however it’s never happened so far so we need to look elsewhere. MJ Williams illustrated he’s going to be a very good player in that role, but we need that know how and leadership now. It’s not unfair to say that if we had a Perkins or a Cavanagh last season, we’d have been 15 points better off. If the former is an option, and he played regularly during Wigan’s great cup run, then right now he’d be the number one target. We might only get a season out of him, but that’s exactly how we should be thinking when bringing along younger players; an experienced head arriving for a year or two, doing a job and then moving on.

It’s exactly what Hill did so effectively with Cavanagh and Rose in midfield. Both knew they weren’t the future and that their experience was there to benefit the team exclusively before they’d inevitably be left behind. We need not reinvent the wheel in this area because we know what works. So yeah, by far the most important signing we will make and one which will hopefully ensure we don’t continually witness a lack of nous in how we see out games.

Adam Barton would perform that role wonderfully. It’ll never happen, though.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Connor Ronan on 21:22 - May 8 with 3200 viewsboromat

It's definitely central midfield for me we've played with one relatively inexperienced central midfielder in Camps all season and it's not been good enough, no one else looked good enough in there for enough of the season. Need some stability in there and probably need at least 2. Lund and Allen were big misses especially when Cannon didn't turn up until 2018.

After that is a goalscorer but I think the midfielders will go someway to helping us retain possession and get more goals.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Login to get fewer ads

Connor Ronan on 23:10 - May 8 with 2955 viewsBrierls

Connor Ronan on 19:18 - May 8 by dingdangblue

I think there will be a few Championship sides after him so doubt it.

Connor Ronan on 07:20 - May 9 with 2744 viewssupportingboth

You are assuming Cannon and Camps with be there next year - if not they will need to be replaced ?
Connor Ronan on 11:05 - May 9 with 2561 viewsD_Alien

Connor Ronan on 07:20 - May 9 by supportingboth

You are assuming Cannon and Camps with be there next year - if not they will need to be replaced ?

Losing any player would require the manager to replace them, but I'm assuming you mean by recruitment rather than advancing current youngsters into the first team?

As others have said, we need at least one experienced midfielder to come in, and that'd apply whether anyone leaves or not, especially for the holding midfield role. Keane can't be relied upon fitness-wise, Kitching still doesn't have the experience and imo Camps should be played further forward than he has been (he's also a liability in our own penalty box)

With Cannon also being more of an attacking midfielder, and Morley, Adshead coming through, it wouldn't make much sense to recruit someone in that mould that'd only stifle their chances

It'll be interesting to see if we start with a back five in August. Reverting to a four would mean either Big Jim or Delaney being excluded, both being natural left-footers. The player I'd be most disappointed to lose would be McGahey

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Connor Ronan on 11:35 - May 9 with 2493 views49thseason

Getting McGahey to sign a new contract would be my first order of business for the Summer.
If we are to play 4 at the back, Iwould be looking for a genuine left back for starters, which would release Done into a more attacking role and offer better protection to Delaney or McNulty.I wish Sam Hart had been given a bit more game time, he is 6 foot tall and has left back and left wing on his CV. which indicates he has potential to be useful in several parts of the pitch.
The midfield is a problem, a good problem in that we have several youngsters with potential but finding the ideal combination is difficult given that none of them seem to have outstanding defensive qualities. The loss of Keane this season has exposed that weakness.
The forwards need some "shape shifting". We have a target man who does not score but who contributes to performances and defends really well, but the lack of goals is what has killed us this season. So I think we need 2 or 3 new attacking options, a pacey winger would be good and another goalscorer to take the weight off Henderson's shoulders and Ideally, we need a Davis type of player capable of playing 40 games a season and scoring 10-15 goals Maybe Humphries, he has certainly added a bit of bite and would be an option if Fulham were to be persuadable but he needs to be a bit less of a battering ram and add a bit more intelligence.

I guess overall a lot will depend on who stays and who leaves or can be "encouraged" to leave, once we know that, we will have an inkling about what positions KH is looking to fill. Interesting times.
Connor Ronan on 11:37 - May 9 with 2486 viewstony_roch975

Connor Ronan on 21:22 - May 8 by boromat

It's definitely central midfield for me we've played with one relatively inexperienced central midfielder in Camps all season and it's not been good enough, no one else looked good enough in there for enough of the season. Need some stability in there and probably need at least 2. Lund and Allen were big misses especially when Cannon didn't turn up until 2018.

After that is a goalscorer but I think the midfielders will go someway to helping us retain possession and get more goals.

Camps is 150 games experienced. Newbury Dale posted a insightful analysis recently - that 3-5-2 can mean a narrow three in midfield which loses width, or if two midfielders stay wide Camps gets totally overrun. Danny Murphy picked out Camps as our most creative player against Spurs - that's a pro's assessment; but like in any team it's the formation and performances of the rest of team which either allows or limits the qualities of any individual. Lund & Allen are obvious losses to play alongside Camps but so too has Cannon been since his injury. Keane / Rafferty type of holding midfielder are 'stoppers' but lack the telling pass ability - which can lead to the lump it up to Calvin mentality. One 20+ goals a season striker is what we need - who doesn't.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Connor Ronan on 11:47 - May 9 with 2461 viewsD_Alien

Connor Ronan on 11:37 - May 9 by tony_roch975

Camps is 150 games experienced. Newbury Dale posted a insightful analysis recently - that 3-5-2 can mean a narrow three in midfield which loses width, or if two midfielders stay wide Camps gets totally overrun. Danny Murphy picked out Camps as our most creative player against Spurs - that's a pro's assessment; but like in any team it's the formation and performances of the rest of team which either allows or limits the qualities of any individual. Lund & Allen are obvious losses to play alongside Camps but so too has Cannon been since his injury. Keane / Rafferty type of holding midfielder are 'stoppers' but lack the telling pass ability - which can lead to the lump it up to Calvin mentality. One 20+ goals a season striker is what we need - who doesn't.

Keane's passing ability is possibly overlooked, given his excellent defensive reading of the game. He very rarely gives the ball away, choosing simple but effective passing to more attacking players; but there's been occasions when he's also created goals with defence-splitting passes of 30-40 yards

The goal that put us 1-0 against Latics last April (2017) being a good example, and i think R17ALE referred to another in an away game i didn't see

[Post edited 9 May 2018 11:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Connor Ronan on 11:49 - May 9 with 2456 viewsaleanddale

Connor Ronan on 11:37 - May 9 by tony_roch975

I think that's part of Camps problem.

looked different class against spurs ( he was properly on his A game and concentrated 100% )

Then we had Oxford away.

The lad has SOOOOOOOO much talent and I am pleased we have him but he is the player I get frustrated with most because I know he is capable of so much better.

If Camps could find 10% extra ( he could do this ) and be more consistent we would have one hell of a player.
Connor Ronan on 12:59 - May 9 with 2332 viewstony_roch975

Connor Ronan on 11:49 - May 9 by aleanddale

I think that's part of Camps problem.

looked different class against spurs ( he was properly on his A game and concentrated 100% )

Then we had Oxford away.

The lad has SOOOOOOOO much talent and I am pleased we have him but he is the player I get frustrated with most because I know he is capable of so much better.

If Camps could find 10% extra ( he could do this ) and be more consistent we would have one hell of a player.

Everyone 'looked' different class against Spurs - partly cos they were given more time on the ball than in a League 1 match and the pressure was off. If Camps found 10% more and was more consistent he might well be one hell of a player .... but he wouldn't be playing for us.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024