Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 10:56 - Oct 26 with 1781 viewsAntti_Heinola

Due to work commitments and in-law commitments that limit my laptop time, these are very late. Probably irrelevant. Sorry. But anyway.

1. PAV: I would just like to reiterate after my last set of jerks that I love Pav. He might be starting to become my favourite player, which I know will upset people who loved me going on about Luongo for the last couple of years. There’s just something so endearing about his non-stop running, his weird limpy gate that makes you think he might be injured half the time and the fact that he’s simply got on with the job at our basket case club for a couple of years now as players come and go and managers come and go without a word of complaint. Or maybe he has been complaining, but none of us speak Polish. Anyway, it doesn’t feel like he complains. He just meets a new manager, who normally doesn’t fancy him, then he plays his way into the side, plays well, then gets inexplicably put in and out of the side in all manner of positions except right wing until the coach forgets why he picked him in the first place.
A few weeks back when Stevie Mac went back to his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation, that while Cousins was doing well it seemed daft not to play Pav on the right of those three attackers. And, after a fine performance as sub before the Christmas break, in he has finally come. And we’ve been rewarded with two more fine performances. Not only does he give us industry, drive and determination; he also gives an added attacking threat. One thing he does need to do is add more goals to his game, but on Tuesday he went close: his shot was parried for the first goal; his cross was headed in for the second, and he had a proper humdinger palmed away by the Wednesday keeper too. All hail Pav.

2. LYNCHINHO: It can’t be denied anymore. He’s playing really well. We’ve always seen it in occasional patches, but always it ends quickly, either through loss of form, or because of injury or because of suspension. But finally, next to the glowering presence of the BFG, he’s playing very well. Winning it in the air. Not jumping in. Not giving away those stupid free kicks. I particularly enjoy it when he ploughs (fairly) through an attacker, lays it off, then thinks, ‘sod this, I’m making a run’. Few things please me more than centre backs throwing caution to the wind and joining an attack on a whim. It’s like letting a goat loose at a Rotary meeting — some people find it funny, and some just act confused and a little afraid. It should happen more often. Not enough centre backs do it these days.

3. RANGEL: Been some interesting debate about the man with the rhyming name on the board this week. Personally, I wasn’t thrilled with his signing, but at the same time I knew we had to get someone because we were so short with Furlong’s injury. He’s done far better than anyone might’ve expected, and while perhaps he wasn’t at his best on Tuesday (there were quite a few sliced passes, and that moment where he took a nap as the ball was played across the backline was a bit worrying, but that’s to be expected at his age. I’m older, and I too appreciate naps), he was still very fine indeed. All teams should have a player with a rhyming name. I think and hope that Furs will, when fully fit and firing, fight his way back fairly ahead of Rangel in the pecking order, but like everyone else in the team (and like Hemed and Wells are doing) he must fight for it. At the moment, it’ll be difficult to displace Rangel, who seems to be properly enjoying himself. The new Clint Hill?

4. GOALS: Finally, they are coming. On Saturday, despite dominance, they weren’t the prettiest. But Tuesday, they were very pretty. OK, the first was a bit more down to Luongo’s bloody-mindedness, but it was still a nice finish. The next two were lovely. Eze, of course, heavily involved with both. Naturally, while some appreciate Eze (almost everyone on here, it seems) I had to sit through the start of the game listening to the bloke next to me saying he was ‘up himself’ and ‘lazy’. Word of warning to all young footballers: don’t dare to be talented, particularly if you’re, you know, not white. He is beautiful to watch, the way he never panics when he gets the ball, the way he takes his time to make the right decision, as he did for both the second and third goals. He doesn’t always get it right, but who does? Another encouraging performance from him and with Pav joining the attack and Freeman getting on the scoresheet we’re starting to have goal threats from different areas. Tougher challenges than Wednesday’s generous defence lie ahead, but still, three goals is three goals.

5. WELLS: I wonder what he was thinking as he sat on the bench and watched Hemed get his second in two games. Here he is, a quality player who’s really done nothing wrong except be unlucky not to score goals. But, he came on and played well. First chance he got he seemed to snatch at a bit, and you could tell not scoring was weighing on his mind. When he did score, a sublime goal, taken early with a thundering left foot strike, his relief was clear. Reminded me of Roy Race scoring that goal against Carford in one of the 80s annuals (84?). Racey thought their keeper (who was out of retirement due to a goalkeeping emergency) had a hoodoo over him, and whatever he tried, the ball wouldn’t go in. Finally, he just smacked it as hard as he could and he scored. That was like Wells. Forget the worry, just get a chance and hit the bloody thing. Lovely goal. Tough decision for S Mac tonight.

6. WEDNESDAY: In the end, they were well beaten, but three was probably a bit unfair. I thought they played some nice stuff and Bannon in particular was excellent on the ball — he must’ve had more touches than anyone and hardly ever gave the ball away. Yet Rangers were happy to let him have it when he was deep. There really wasn’t anyone to pick him up, so they backed themselves to deal with whatever clever balls he could muster and to be fair, with the L Boys supplemented by the growing presence of George Cameron in front of them, that’s exactly what they did. An entertaining game, after a good game with Derby. Slowly, the tanker is being turned.

Bare bones.

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 11:35 - Oct 26 with 1655 viewsHantsR

Chuckled/ agreed all through that report Antti thanks.

Re Eze: "I had to sit through the start of the game listening to the bloke next to me saying he was ‘up himself’ and ‘lazy’". Were you sitting in C Block of SAR because I had to endure the same from bloke behind me (I mentioned from the game on match fred). Crikey, some people just don't know when there's a rare talent in their midst, some of his passing and a superb nutmeg alone were worth the admission.

I like the idea of all players, like Rangel, having rhyming names. I'm starting to see if this is possible, now let's start with Wszolek ...?
Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 12:20 - Oct 26 with 1551 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 11:35 - Oct 26 by HantsR

Chuckled/ agreed all through that report Antti thanks.

Re Eze: "I had to sit through the start of the game listening to the bloke next to me saying he was ‘up himself’ and ‘lazy’". Were you sitting in C Block of SAR because I had to endure the same from bloke behind me (I mentioned from the game on match fred). Crikey, some people just don't know when there's a rare talent in their midst, some of his passing and a superb nutmeg alone were worth the admission.

I like the idea of all players, like Rangel, having rhyming names. I'm starting to see if this is possible, now let's start with Wszolek ...?

Mitch Lynch?

No I'm in F block, so there are more idiots around than we realise!

Bare bones.

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 14:23 - Oct 26 with 1380 viewsLongsufferingR

Has to be Durlong Furlong from now on
Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 14:58 - Oct 26 with 1325 viewsenfieldargh

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 14:23 - Oct 26 by LongsufferingR

Has to be Durlong Furlong from now on

Bill Hill
Terry Derry
Francis Francis
Paul Saul
Kirk Burke
Murray Currie
Neil Neal

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 15:06 - Oct 26 with 1299 viewsW7Ranger

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 14:58 - Oct 26 by enfieldargh

Bill Hill
Terry Derry
Francis Francis
Paul Saul
Kirk Burke
Murray Currie
Neil Neal

Allen Gallen
Mark Park
Kerry Perry
Benny Kenny
Ernie Cerny
Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 15:17 - Oct 26 with 1274 viewsoldmisery

Pav's got a limpy gate? Has he suddenly become unhinged? You'll be writing that he was a sub before the Christmas break next. Is this what effect love has upon you?
Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 16:01 - Oct 26 with 1169 viewsHantsR

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 15:17 - Oct 26 by oldmisery

Pav's got a limpy gate? Has he suddenly become unhinged? You'll be writing that he was a sub before the Christmas break next. Is this what effect love has upon you?

Just because he wrote 'gate' instead of 'gait', don't take a fence
Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 11:42 - Oct 27 with 809 viewsoldmisery

Antti's Belated Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Sheff Wed 0 on 16:01 - Oct 26 by HantsR

Just because he wrote 'gate' instead of 'gait', don't take a fence

Sorry, I've only just seen your witty post!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024