Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday 3rd May 1985 09:31 - Dec 21 with 4741 viewsdingdangblue

The last time we won a game at Roots Hall!
15 league games played since and 1 cup game.
If you believe in bogey grounds - this is one.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southend-united-v-rochdale-03-may-1985-48608/

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 20:20 - Dec 21 with 1193 viewsSuddenLad

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 18:01 - Dec 21 by rhf

I haven’t posted on here before but I ran the supporters coach on that Fri night win at roots hall, we were desperate for the points as always to get clear of the bottom 4, Phil Dwyer ex Cardiff and Wales headed in the first, hit both posts and dropped over the line, with about 10 mins to go Steve Taylor (who else in those days) brilliantly chipped the keeper - went in off the underside of the bar. Southend were managed by the Bobby Moore at the time, in true tradition he didn’t last long after. There were 27 on the coach and we all stopped at a pub in Basildon on the way back which was very rare, to celebrate another season of safety- living the dream! Vic Halom was our manager and he stopped the team coach at the same pub when he saw our coach and got us a pint, a great dale night for the 27.

Phil Dwyer - what a player he was. Terrific. I think he arrived at Spotland at the same time as Dave Grant.

Phil Dwyer later joined the Police when his playing days were over....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 20:37 - Dec 21 with 1184 viewswindowsbug

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 18:01 - Dec 21 by rhf

I haven’t posted on here before but I ran the supporters coach on that Fri night win at roots hall, we were desperate for the points as always to get clear of the bottom 4, Phil Dwyer ex Cardiff and Wales headed in the first, hit both posts and dropped over the line, with about 10 mins to go Steve Taylor (who else in those days) brilliantly chipped the keeper - went in off the underside of the bar. Southend were managed by the Bobby Moore at the time, in true tradition he didn’t last long after. There were 27 on the coach and we all stopped at a pub in Basildon on the way back which was very rare, to celebrate another season of safety- living the dream! Vic Halom was our manager and he stopped the team coach at the same pub when he saw our coach and got us a pint, a great dale night for the 27.

I may have been on that trip.
I know my wife would have been.
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 17:11 - Dec 22 with 1038 viewsD_Alien

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 12:47 - Dec 21 by DaleiLama

Bad luck to the lad driving who has to stay sober, or have they got a driver too? If the result doesn't go our way, I'm sure there'll be plenty of consolatory tinnies consumed on the return journey. Plenty of p stops on the way home too (or empty jerry cans on board). I expect it will be a memorable trip regardless of Dale result.

Yep, they've got a driver

Brilliant day for all aboard!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 17:20 - Dec 22 with 1012 viewsDaleiLama

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 17:11 - Dec 22 by D_Alien

Yep, they've got a driver

Brilliant day for all aboard!

I was thinking it might just have been a long journey home. Very pleased for them that their day was iced with a W.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024