Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football is broken 14:58 - May 19 with 5514 viewsOldPedro

Interesting views from The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/19/manchester-city-sky-blue-smashi

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Football is broken on 15:55 - May 20 with 1233 viewsnix

What makes it even worse than before is the systematic way the bigger clubs are hoovering up ALL the young talent and then loaning it back to lower premiership or championship clubs at premium prices. So not only are they not able to sell on the players they're developing, they're actually being charged for the privilege.

Tbh it will put me off football if Man City are the only club that win everything year after year. It won't be a competition, but just a procession. I don't think that even benefits Man City fans.
Football is broken on 16:25 - May 20 with 1169 viewsbob566

far better article on it by the brilliant Ken Early writing for the irish times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-city-s-dominati
Football is broken on 16:29 - May 20 with 1163 viewsManinBlack

I know I have said this before but what is happening now is precisely why I was so annoyed about us handing City their first title. I could not understand the joy of so many of us seeing them win it at the time because it was patently obvious a new monster club was emerging to take over the world. All we would have done by having a famous win that day would be to delay the inevitable so we should have taken it. How did City repay us the following season for kindly letting them win their first Premiership? They stuffed us 6-0 to relegate us. A ruthlessness that we sadly lack as a football club.

City should be playing the best football after investing £1.2 billion in a top name manager and the best players. Money changes everything and shapes standings. Salford City were a nothing club until the ex Man Utd players took over which has seen their injections of cash earn them four promotions in five seasons so now they are in the Football League. The way things are going Salford will be above us in the football pyramid and it will be another Manchester club to dislike.
Football is broken on 17:13 - May 20 with 1124 viewsstowmarketrange

Football is broken on 16:29 - May 20 by ManinBlack

I know I have said this before but what is happening now is precisely why I was so annoyed about us handing City their first title. I could not understand the joy of so many of us seeing them win it at the time because it was patently obvious a new monster club was emerging to take over the world. All we would have done by having a famous win that day would be to delay the inevitable so we should have taken it. How did City repay us the following season for kindly letting them win their first Premiership? They stuffed us 6-0 to relegate us. A ruthlessness that we sadly lack as a football club.

City should be playing the best football after investing £1.2 billion in a top name manager and the best players. Money changes everything and shapes standings. Salford City were a nothing club until the ex Man Utd players took over which has seen their injections of cash earn them four promotions in five seasons so now they are in the Football League. The way things are going Salford will be above us in the football pyramid and it will be another Manchester club to dislike.

They only beat us 3-1 in our first relegation season in 12-13.It was 14-15 when they beat us 6-0.But I take your point.All sky ever talk about is how city won that title rather than us almost stopping them with only 10 men on the pitch.
Football is broken on 18:40 - May 20 with 1054 viewsQPR_Jim

Football is broken on 15:49 - May 20 by Phildo

Unfortunately a salary cap is not working in Rugby (see Saracens) and leading to a realistic chance there will be no promotion to the top tier there within a few years.

The American system is based on 'franchises' and none of us want that.

The only way to make it competitive is to spread the money evenly which accidentally happened with the overseas broadcasting revenue.

I take your point, but I don't see any other way to even the playing field. Spreading the money from TV around would be a start but you can't remove the idea of the money as a prize either. But you want the money to filter down to all the clubs.

The issue as I see it is getting the rules across all divisions so the salary cap is easy to transition between as you get promoted and relegated. You wouldn't need parachute payments if there was a system like this and it would naturally restrict the size of squads and hopefully resolve the issue of hoarding players to loaning them out.

It may not be perfect but it's a better idea than FFP where they essentially want the clubs to line up in order of revenue. With a salary cap everyone would have the same resources for the season and the coaching, tactics etc would play a much bigger part in success or failure than resources.
Football is broken on 19:29 - May 20 with 999 viewstraininvain

Football is broken on 16:25 - May 20 by bob566

far better article on it by the brilliant Ken Early writing for the irish times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-city-s-dominati

Spot on. The fact that Man City have just won the treble and people barely batted an eye lid is telling. I know plenty of football fans who didn’t even watch the FA Cup final on Saturday as they knew it was pointless.
Football is broken on 12:25 - May 21 with 815 viewsManinBlack

Football is broken on 17:13 - May 20 by stowmarketrange

They only beat us 3-1 in our first relegation season in 12-13.It was 14-15 when they beat us 6-0.But I take your point.All sky ever talk about is how city won that title rather than us almost stopping them with only 10 men on the pitch.

Thanks my memory is getting progressively worse as the years just seem to be merging together. I was trying to forget that we got relegated twice in three seasons!

I think on the last day of this season they showed the Aguero goal about a dozen times before the kick off as Sky speculated whether there would be a last gasp decider again. I am now condemned for the rest of my life to seeing that goal over and over again...
[Post edited 21 May 2019 12:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024