Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing 19:51 - Jul 2 with 6522 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/50459
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:17 - Jul 3 with 909 viewsstevec

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 13:57 - Jul 3 by Northernr

Some players who made more than 20 appearances in defence for the top six in Scotland last season….

Dominic Ball, Aberdeen (on loan from Rotherham)

Shaleum Logan, Aberdeen (formerly of Stockport, Tranmere and Scunthorpe, released by Brentford when they were League One)

Kirk Broadfoot, Kilmarnock (34 years old, released by Rotherham, previously with Blackpool, 34 starts last year for a team that finished 3rd)

Stephen O’Donnell, Kilmarnock (released by Luton when they were in League Two)

David Gray, Hibs, (released by Burton Albion when they were League Two, previously with Stevenage, Preston, Plymouth…)

Steven Whittaker, Hibs (released by Norwich)

Christophe Berra, Hearts (34 years old, 62 apps in two seasons after being released by mighty Ipswich)

Michael Smith, Hearts (released by Peterborough)

Would you like me to do 2017/18?

It's looking like he's mostly here as back up and, as that Dons report says, he didn't do anything brilliantly but, more important at the mo, he didn't do anything wrong.

I wish I could say that about Lynch.
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:20 - Jul 3 with 901 viewskarl

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:11 - Jul 3 by Northernr

Sorry, wasn't intended that way, was trying to make it look less aggressive. I do, as I say, bow to your superior knowledge.

👍Certainly not superior knowledge.

Barrie Mackay has been a flop in England and was only a short flash of good play up here but there is something there if a good coach can lift him.
Warburton was his manager when he had his good spell but imo not as a winger and more as a no.10
Just don't think he'll raise his game often enough to have the impact we need. On form he does go past players easily but too often anonymous and drifts in games.
Warburton valued him at some ridiculous price when he had him.
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:37 - Jul 3 with 860 viewsswitchingcode

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:00 - Jul 3 by karl

Logan is a cracking young player who McInnes has developed over a couple of years, much as Furlong needs, in that case I put Logan ahead of Furlong at the moment. It might change but not for the season past.
Kilmarnock were coached brilliantly, the team Clarke had basically went from bottom of the league to the best results in Scotland over a calender 12 months, Broadfoot was an important piece but imo the unit was key with Clarkes coaching and seemed to keep pretty much injury free.

Logan is 31 years of age😦
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:47 - Jul 3 with 839 viewsrsonist

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 14:32 - Jul 3 by Match82

Ok, I'll trade places. My concern with Ball is that it was beginning to look like a pattern. The Conor signing suggests it's not. So I now feel better about Ball being squad depth and not signed merely because of who he knows.

If they'd announced Masterson yesterday and Ball today it would certainly have been far more chill.
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:51 - Jul 3 with 832 viewskarl

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:37 - Jul 3 by switchingcode

Logan is 31 years of age😦

He's young compared to me!

I actually thought he was younger tbh, he has improved a lot in his time at Aberdeen as he's much better than when he arrived.
I think Aberdeen are very much a coached defensive unit.

My point really is a dismissive attitude to football from a region without knowing the full facts, I actually agree that Dominic Ball isn't a good option as a first choice QPR player.
He'll provide cover across the defence and as a screening midfielder in front of centre backs but there will be zero creativity from him
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 18:07 - Jul 3 with 750 viewsswitchingcode

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:51 - Jul 3 by karl

I actually thought he was younger tbh, he has improved a lot in his time at Aberdeen as he's much better than when he arrived.

My point really is a dismissive attitude to football from a region without knowing the full facts, I actually agree that Dominic Ball isn't a good option as a first choice QPR player.
He'll provide cover across the defence and as a screening midfielder in front of centre backs but there will be zero creativity from him

So did I but have watched his career from afar since he’s been in Scotland as I really rated him and was disappointed when warburton bombed him out of the club.
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 18:09 - Jul 3 with 748 viewsMatch82

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:47 - Jul 3 by rsonist

If they'd announced Masterson yesterday and Ball today it would certainly have been far more chill.

Yeah this is a good point
Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 20:27 - Jul 3 with 662 viewsjoolsyp

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 16:51 - Jul 3 by karl

Karl - do you think Ball is better than Karl Henry? (Please say yes) ... similar player?
Login to get fewer ads

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 22:06 - Jul 3 with 580 viewskarl

Ball arrival raises old recruitment questions — Signing on 20:27 - Jul 3 by joolsyp

Karl - do you think Ball is better than Karl Henry? (Please say yes) ... similar player?

The Karl Henry who played his last season and a half I would say Ball is definitely better.
Reasonably mobile and decent in the air so offers good protection in front of the defence, that would be where I think Warburton will play him.
From memory of watching Warburtons Glasgow Rangers he likes his fullbacks high up the pitch and centre backs split wide so he uses the sitting midfielder as the protection in front of them. I didn't think he had good enough centre backs for this ball playing role and Ball isn't good enough for championship level to play in front of two average centre backs so it does worry me if that's what we have, I think we'll need to keep the full backs tucked in and have protection in front of the CBs and Ball will be OK for that.
Hope that makes sense
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024